Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

It's likely just me, but I guess I get a giggle out of how the day of Army vs. Navy game ended with Catholics vs. Convicts

Yes, hats off for Army and ending the streak.  Based on everything, if they didn't win yesterday, I think they never were going to end it.  You can argue about the lack of two of Navy's top offensive players, but I can't argue for Navy on why they punted down 4 with 4-5 minutes left.  Not a total blunder, but with one time out, I think they should have gone for it. Glad they didn't do something stupid like kicking a field goal!

Congrats to Lamar Jackson. Youngest Heisman winner ever, and he's now in position to win it twice (back-to-back or just twice)

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, benteen said:

Congrats to Army for snapping their losing streak and defeating Navy in a very good game.

It's funny as I'm not gung ho military and I don't like football but I never miss the Army vs. Navy game.  These kids are the best of the best, true student athletes, and I love the pageantry and traditions of the game and damn if I wasn't crying when Army got to sing their alma mater second after 15 years of singing it first.

And then I cried when Verne Lundquist gave his classy farewell speech.  Since I don't watch any football other that this game I know him from the Olympics and the NCAA college basketball tournament and he's one of the best, so I'm glad he'll still be around in some capacity.

This situation with Mixon from Oklahoma looks like it's going to get ugly, and the video is heinous.

What I don't get is he was charged, punished and served community service time.  So what is the end game in this coming out now?

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

This situation with Mixon from Oklahoma looks like it's going to get ugly, and the video is heinous.

What I don't get is he was charged, punished and served community service time.  So what is the end game in this coming out now?

Isn't this is a civil suit?

So coaches like Tom Herman can bail on their team's bowl game in order to pursue better opportunities and people shrug. But a couple of players do the same and sports talk loses it damn mind.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

So coaches like Tom Herman can bail on their team's bowl game in order to pursue better opportunities and people shrug. But a couple of players do the same and sports talk loses it damn mind.

This pisses me off so much. The players get penalized so harshly if they even want to transfer, but the coaches get to leave before the bowl games. I understand that you don't want a player to keep hopping from one school to another because they feel they aren't getting enough playing time, but to lose an entire year (unless the school they want to transfer to offers a course the previous school doesn't) is grossly unfair. Sure, the new coach has to get a new staff in and start recruiting, but other coaches seem to be able to handle staff changes and recruit after the bowl game is played.

This is part of the reason I can't stand Brian Kelly. I hated Notre Dame anyway so I wasn't going to like him by association, but the way he left Cincinnati was awful. He lied to the players to their faces saying he was staying, and they were rightfully angry. I doubt Cincinnati was going to beat Florida in that game, but they look completely defeated before the ball was even kicked off.

I don't blame McCaffrey or Fournette at all. Running backs get worked until their wheels fall off so they have shorter careers (most severely decline at 30), plus they're going later in the draft now, which means less money, and a devastating injury in a bowl game would be detrimental to their livelihood.

On 12/20/2016 at 2:14 PM, Popples said:

This pisses me off so much. The players get penalized so harshly if they even want to transfer, but the coaches get to leave before the bowl games. I understand that you don't want a player to keep hopping from one school to another because they feel they aren't getting enough playing time, but to lose an entire year (unless the school they want to transfer to offers a course the previous school doesn't) is grossly unfair. Sure, the new coach has to get a new staff in and start recruiting, but other coaches seem to be able to handle staff changes and recruit after the bowl game is played.

This is part of the reason I can't stand Brian Kelly. I hated Notre Dame anyway so I wasn't going to like him by association, but the way he left Cincinnati was awful. He lied to the players to their faces saying he was staying, and they were rightfully angry. I doubt Cincinnati was going to beat Florida in that game, but they look completely defeated before the ball was even kicked off.

I don't blame McCaffrey or Fournette at all. Running backs get worked until their wheels fall off so they have shorter careers (most severely decline at 30), plus they're going later in the draft now, which means less money, and a devastating injury in a bowl game would be detrimental to their livelihood.

Hypocritical admins!  It's really awful that people will say that if a kid doesn't like something, then leave!  Or no one told you to play college football.  Then when kids take this advice, they get upset over their inability to make these kids feel inferior.  Whatever.  Really happens outside of sports, and that's a shame.

No one has to try hard to dislike Brian Kelly.  While his exit at Cincinnati was not cool, I actually didn't lose sleep over it.  Cincinnati was virtually screwed out of being in the BCS Title Game.  It greatly pales in comparison to what happened to Auburn 5 years prior to some extent, but to win every game and go down in history without National Champs or Runners-Up next to your name is more than enough to move on.  Everything about his exit was messed up, but based on that, I didn't have too much of a problem with it.

Yeah I'm in the minority of giving Brian Kelly "credit" for anything, but fortunately not in the minority for McCaffrey or Fournette.  Fournette didn't go to the NFL last year based off of the NFL rules as it relates to when a kid can declare.  McCaffrey played in the Rose Bowl last year, and won.  Too much outrage over his decision without a word on how they could have taken Stanford over Oklahoma in 2015 for the 4th spot.  There is nothing to gain playing in the Sun Bowl after the Rose Bowl win the year before.  I might prefer people playing one more time, but if you're ready it's not a big deal.  It would suck if everyone skipped the bowl, as it would turn into what the NBA is, where the product sucks because college hoops kids leave when they can but aren't ready

Congratulations to the Kansas State Wildcats for winning a thriller, and completing a sweep of all 5 Texas teams this season!

The players hit Coach Snyder with a cooler full of...confetti.  When asked about it later, he uttered the latest in a long line of Snyderisms:

"I think they realized we could go back to the hotel and celebrate, or go back to the hotel and run around it all night."

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 2

That game was closer than it had any right to be.  By all accounts it should've been a blowout.  I got nervous when Florida State blew their lead and when that extra point attempt after they regained the lead was returned for a safety.   But it's still a win, so I'll take it.

• Love 1

I think I would have been surprised if Michigan did get blown out, until Peppers went down before the game.  Turned out to be a great second half to make it an okay game overall.  IMO, hats off to both teams for playing the game like it was for the world.  I can see people not giving much effort for most of the bowls, but the New Year's Six should be treated with respect

With Alabama vs Washington, it has the feeling of that Pats/Ravens NFL postseason game from a couple seasons ago. Everything in present day tells you to pick New England, but bet on Baltimore based on history.  Alabama is basically playing in their penultimate venue and no one scores on them; meanwhile, Chris Peterson isn't really a fan of losing to teams he's supposed to lose to.  It's a noon start for Washington too.  I doubt they win the game, but I think they can keep it close. They could pull the upset with a couple miscues from the Tide & Washington being competitive

With Clemson vs Ohio State, it has the feeling of that Pats/Seahawks NFL postseason game from a couple seasons ago. Even a coin-toss isn't enough to pick a winner. Both teams can match well with the Crimson Tide, both have the experience as of late. Urban Meyer has the edge, but the Tigers defense can get to Barrett easier than the Buckeyes can get to Deshaun. But OSU's secondary...It should be a rematch of one of the games from the past years of the CFP

I get that Alabama is really good and will likely win another title, but I would love for karma to bite them in the ass after refusing to shake the Huskies' hands after the coin toss. Who the hell do they think they are? Poor sportsmanship, but that's not shocking with who their coach is. This bad behavior will likely not be punished because they will win regardless.

Edited by twoods

I'd be rooting for Washington, anyway, because they're Pac-12, but I loathe that turd Nick Saban, not to mention my dislike of Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian, so I really don't want Alabama to win.  Which, of course, they will.  I knew the Huskies defense giving up the first down after keeping Alabama stuffed at their one yard line for three downs was going to seal the deal, so this TD was pretty much inevitable. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Although normally I cheer for the Big Ten during bowl season, I must admit I enjoyed seeing Ohio State get humiliated like that.  Especially with Kirk Herbstreit calling the game.  Just like last year, these games were not close.  We were flipping over to watch "That's Entertainment!" on TCM. 

Feel bad for Michigan TE Jake Butt, who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl.  I guess my friends and I will have to stop joking about a tight end named Butt, at least for a while.  We were hoping he would get drafted by the Bears, so we could refer to him as the Bear Butt.    Yes, we're all 12. 

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 3

I figured Washington was going to get blown out, but damn, Ohio St, you couldn't even get a field goal?! For the alleged top four teams in the country, the games shouldn't have been this sloppy and one-sided. The Clemson game was already in garbage time by the start of the third quarter.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

This is just embarrassing for OSU.

It's embarrassing for the entire Big 10 with their playoff representatives getting shut out two years in a row.  I don't have a great deal of fondness for OSU, but thought that last year's team would have at least given Alabama a competitive game instead of getting shut out like MSU. 

I honestly am not sure if Penn State or a Michigan team with a healthy Jake Butt and Jabril Peppers would have done any better against Clemson. 

• Love 1

I am a HUGE sports fan and if there is a championship, I am there.  But I have no interest at all in this rematch.  The only reason I will watch is if I see on Twitter that it's close or Clemson is leading.  But I hate 'Bama so much and don't care very much for Clemson so the only reason to watch would be to see Saban lose.

I generally don't have the pulse of the general non-fanatic public but I will be very interested to see what the ratings are going to be for the championship.

I like OSU, have for decades, but I will laugh and laugh if Penn State completely destroys USC.

• Love 1

Well, I am a huge Alabama fan, so I was thrilled with our win today. We could've played better, but we still got the job done. The blowout in the Clemson/OSU game is embarrassing, but I am glad OSU was shut out. They had no business being in the top 4, IMO. 

I get that Alabama is really good and will likely win another title, but I would love for karma to bite them in the ass after refusing to shake the Huskies' hands after the coin toss. Who the hell do they think they are? Poor sportsmanship, but that's not shocking with who their coach is. This bad behavior will likely not be punished because they will win regardless.

I don't understand the big deal. They shook hands before the coin toss. It's just making a mountain out of a molehill, IMO.

I was happy that Ohio State got shut out too.  They were ultimately a one-dimensional team on offense and they got in because of the Oklahoma win and mainly on reputation.

Providing that they win tomorrow, I think Penn State will have a great case for having made the College Football Playoff with OSU and Washington being blown out.

I have no loyalty to the Big Ten and their awful commissioner other than Penn State (the team I root for) so it's fun to see them humiliated in the bowl season.  ACC is still a little top heavy but they have made enormous strides this season.

I love college football.  It's my favorite sport and has the best regular season.  But this has NOT been a good bowl season and the playoffs were dog **** this year.  The Orange Bowl was the best game so far.  Too many bowl games and bad teams getting in.  It will never happen but they need to be cut down drastically.

No surprise that Chip Kelly is getting canned in San Francisco.  If he had accepted the fact that he was a college coach, he would have been offered both the Texas and LSU job.  Or he could have gone back to Oregon.  I honestly think the best place for him might be Arkansas.  I don't know how Beilima still keeps a job after the massive disappointment he's been as head coach.  Arkansas has historically proven to be a good return for coaches who failed in the NFL and ran back to college like Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino.  Not that I like Chip to begin with.

• Love 1

The Big 10 does have its faults, including some poor choices for invitations (Rutgers) and its thin skin regarding justified criticism of officiating, both football and basketball.  I also think that having Friday night Big 10 football games is not a great idea and do appreciate that most of the athletic departments that have the dominant football programs either refused to host them or gave conditions about having them. 

I do think that the Big 10 made some good strides in having more parity in football across the conference this year.  It does help that the coaching carousel in certain teams seems to be settled.  Michigan State was down this year, but there were signs of life especially in their Michigan and OSU games.  It's nice seeing Penn State and Nebraska become competitive again, as well as Iowa being consistent two years in a row.  I think that we need to see how Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State play tomorrow before calling the Big 10 bowl season a disaster. 

I think the Big 10 responded to the SEC dominance by getting better coaches who recruited better and schemed better (offense wise).  I think the ACC is following that example now, hiring a lot of terrific coaches and working from there.

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Kiffin leaving Aabama before championship game - very interesting.

I have to say I'm not surprised. Alabama's offense (minus Scarbrough) wasn't very impressive in the Peach Bowl. I think Hurts only threw for something like sixty yards and one of their touchdowns was a defensive score. Take away that TD and the score would've only been 17-7. A win, but not exactly a steamroll. 

• Love 1

Is there anything more fun than seeing the other team's star player make a HUGE mistake and then the shots of dumbstruck fans in the stands, hands on their heads, totally disbelieving.  Thanks Western Michigan, for letting Troy Fumagalli get wide open on that crucial, game clinching 3rd down play.  Fuuum made clutch catch after clutch catch - definitely the game MVP.  And TJ Edwards on defense - double digit tackles and that huge interception.

The sweatshirt does it again!  Paul Chryst -- by golly, can he coach.  The future is looking bright for Wisconsin football. 

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 2

Not so fast!  

Although I am rooting for Penn State for reasons I don't fully understand, I still want it to be a good game.

I hate this version of "California Dreamin'" that they have played eleventy seven times since the start of this broadcast so much that it makes me want to punch a puppy.  Do you want that to happen, ESPN?  No?  Then stop playing this horrid song.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Popples said:

Win or lose, Penn State definitely made the case that they should have been in the playoffs over Ohio State.

I agree. Being division champs should count for something. Too bad USC got in the middle of a pissed off Penn State team. At least it's not Michigan.

Edited by twoods
54 minutes ago, Popples said:

Win or lose, Penn State definitely made the case that they should have been in the playoffs over Ohio State.

I agree too.  I'm ashamed that they couldn't do shit!

But then again, PNSt defense us sucking in this game, and Clemson has a good offense.