Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Put me in the Turnover Chain is AWESOME camp. If I were a twenty year old defender for the Canes, I would be working my ass off to get it.

Hell, if I were the punter I would be working my ass off to get it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Put me in the Turnover Chain is AWESOME camp. If I were a twenty year old defender for the Canes, I would be working my ass off to get it.

Hell, if I were the punter I would be working my ass off to get it.

Agreed on the Turnover Chain.

As long as Ohio State doesn't get into the playoffs, I'll be fine with whomever gets in.  Ohio State got smoked by 18 points at home and got destroyed by an average at best Iowa team by 31 points.  That is NOT a playoff contender, let alone a National title team.  Even in this season where there aren't a lot of strong teams.

Kansas definitely played dirty, but Baker messed up big time.  I'm an OU fan but that behavior ticked me off. 

He took a late hit where the guy deliberately targeted his throwing shoulder. It was so long after the throw the kansas player could've stopped because any hit at all was going to be roughing.  There were a couple of other incidents too but the roughing was the worst. After that and the handshake mess, Baker was stupid and lost his head. I'd be okay if he lost playing time Saturday. 

I wish he'd quit with some of the nonsense because apart from the cop stupidity - where he wasn't even in bad trouble until he ran - he has a good reputation around Norman. He doesn't have Manziel's fratboy party reputation. I was shocked when he was arrested because all you ever heard about was the video game obsession. No partying stuff. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Just saw that Bielema got fired.

Let me be the first of many, many, many Wisconsin fans to say it:  "Karma."  

By the way, since Jen Beliema's infamous tweet (after the officials screwed Wisconsin at AZ State), Wisconsin is 50-12 and Arkansas is 26-34.  

Edited by Calvada
more to say!
  • Love 3

Was that even 15 minutes after the game went final?

14 minutes ago, Calvada said:

By the way, since Jen Beliema's infamous tweet (after the officials screwed Wisconsin at AZ State), Wisconsin is 50-12 and Arkansas is 26-34.  

I wasn't aware of this and had a bit of a search, and why the hell did she say that? Did she hate living in Wisconsin or something?

Bielema was fired as he was walking off the field, wasn't he?  I'm not sure they let him get to the locker room before they told him.

I think Jen Bielema sent out that tweet because there were a lot of Wisconsin fans who thought Bret left in a sneaky manner - did not tell Barry Alvarez or others who thought they were close to him.  The word "blindsided" was used a lot to described what UW officials felt.  So naturally, a lot of Badger fans took the attitude of "fuck him, we're better off without him," and I think that bothered Jen.  So early the next season, Arkansas started out 3-0, and Wisconsin fell to 2-1 after a loss at Arizona State which ended in a bizarre way, with what most college football fans thought was a screw-up by the officials.  Essentially, the WI QB went to a knee to end the play and they were going to either rush their field goal team on, or line up, spike it, then bring out the field goal team.  (Wisconsin was out of timeouts.)  The officials did not allow another play to be run.  The Badgers could have handled it better (spiked it on the first play, but they wanted to take time off the clock) but just about everyone except ASU officials, players and fans agreed that the officials screwed the Badgers.  This game was a night game, and in the early hours of the next morning, Jen Bielema sent out the now infamous tweet, one word, "karma."  Since that point, most Wisconsin fans have rooted for Arkansas to lose every game they play. 

When Bret left, I thought it was disgraceful the way he did it, but I was quite happy to see him go.  There were lots of rumors about Bret's drinking issues while at Wisconsin, plus he engaged in these feuds with other coaches I thought were incredibly unprofessional and not an example a coach of young men should be setting.  I just wished he had waited another year or two, then we wouldn't have had to go through the two years of Gary Andersen.  But at that time, Paul Chryst had been at Pitt just one year, and he did not feel he could leave to return to Wisconsin.  But two years later, Andersen left Wisconsin, and Barry Alvarez waited about 2 seconds before calling Paul Chryst.  We Sconnies are all very happy with Coach Chryst and Defensive Coordinator Jim Leonhard.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

I understand Urban Meyer's anger with JT Barrett's injury. But he sounds like he's going off to hunt down a Michigan alum hiding on a grassy knoll.

This is because he has a hard on for JT that I don't understand.  That undergrad that went in & finished the job, maintained his cool & composure and won the game.  He played much better than JT, and reminded me of Cardale.

Of course it could be because TSUN took out JT in the 2014 Game and broke his ankle.  Just before we gave WI a 59-0 thrashing.

ETA:  I LOVE YOU AUBURN!

Edited by roamyn
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Four o'clock Friday kickoff for the Pac 12 Championship.

It started at 5:00.  Between two CA teams, on a Friday, a later start would have been nice, but we're also kind of used to having to get home early for big games here.  And when it's not 5:00, it's 7:30, so that can run pretty late on a Friday night.  A Saturday afternoon game would have been nice!

Good rematch so far, after a rocky start.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I got a call from Tennessee. I turned them down.

Apparently John Currie advised then AD Mike Hamilton to get rid of Fulmer back in '08. Now Fulmer's replaced Currie as AD. Like some wag on ESPN said, "It's like Game of Thrones over there."

• Love 1

USC’s fourth quarter goal line stand, followed by a 99-yard TD drive, was a thing of beauty.  Especially after the USC penalty, I thought it would be pretty incredible to hold Stanford to three, but to leave them coming away with nothing once the Cardinal decided to go for it?  And then for the Trojans to get out of their own end zone via a 54-yard pass?  Holy crap, that was great.

And then USC’s defense squandered chance after chance - more than usually happens in one drive - to put the game away.  Way to take it down to the wire, Trojans, but it made for a great ending.  Other than the flags, that was a good championship game.

I only follow college football because I listen to eight hours of sports radio a day so I learn stuff by osmosis.  So I have no earthly reason why I am rooting for Auburn but I am.  Sorry Tigers, I jinxed you.

And I shouldn’t even root for Auburn ever anyways, because Tie-Dye ruined SU’s perfect season.

2 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I hope he does. :)

He's an ass.  I hope he gets shut out if it.

I rarely hate college players, (TSUN being the exception), but he actively deserves it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I'm probably gonna lose my Buckeye card (not to be confused w/Golden Buckeye card), for this....

I don't think tOSU should be in top four.  If we're going by four best teams, that's Auburn, Clemson, Oklahoma...and God forgive me...Alabama.

I'd hate to see Bama in there, but I think the Big 10 and Pac 10 get shut out.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Bama's record is better, OSU won their conference but has that big black and gold cloud of the Iowa humiliation hanging over them.

That Iowa loss is the key, I think, because OSU's SoS is better than 'Bama's. Bama's best win is LSU. Who lost to Troy.

• Love 1

If Alabama doesn’t make the top 4, I’m calling bullshit of the highest order. The top 4 is for the four best teams, not the teams who won their conference championship. By that logic, a team from the PAC-12 would be in the top 4. 

I know it’s all hip and cool to hate Alabama, but Alabama works hard to be one of the best, if not THE best, college football team. They aren’t messy, and they stay above the fray. If people don’t want Alabama to be in the top 4, then other teams need to BE BETTER.

A loss to an unranked team with a 7-5 record? Come ON.

Side note: I giggled like a loon when I saw that Georgia won over Auburn. Well played, dawgs. Auburn is severely overrated.

1 minute ago, twoods said:

Ohio State got in last season the same reason why Alabama is in this year, so where was the outrage then? No one is going to be happy. 

There was no outrage last year because everyone knew that OSU didn’t have a shot in hell of winning the title. It’s in vogue to hate Alabama, and they stand a good shot of winning. Hence, the outrage this year.

if anything, this should damn well be a reason to expand the playoffs.

If anything, I think the top two reasons Bama is in over OSU is 1) the goose egg that OSU left when they played Clemson last year and 2) Iowa loss. They good and damn well weren’t going to risk number one happening again. The committee knew Bama would AT LEAST put some points on the board.

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's Clemson vs Alabama and Oklahoma vs Georgia.

I'll be a Clemson fan for a few hours again, then, as I hate Nick Saban with the heat of a nova.

I'll be rooting for OU to win the whole thing, despite Baker Mayfield needing to grow the hell up.  I couldn't stand the Bob Stoops worship (he was a great coach, but had some consistent flaws, and the slobbering over him never acknowledged that), so I'd like to see them win their first year without him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, twoods said:

Ohio State got in last season the same reason why Alabama is in this year, so where was the outrage then? No one is going to be happy. 

Last season Ohio State had wins at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, and over Michigan, 3 top 10 teams.  Last year's Ohio State team, had a damn good resume.  This year's Bama team doesn't even have 3 wins over top 25 teams, and that's with Mississippi State being ranked for the sole purpose of boosting Bama.

• Love 2

My case for going to eight? Five and six under the current format have had legitimate cases that they could win the title. After that, I think there is a discernible drop off. Much like the bubble teams in the men's basketball tournament,  I don't think anyone would bitch that the nine/ten slot had legit shot at the title.  (Outside of alum and talking heads who need to fill airtime)

The committee can cite all of the objective measures that they want, but, given the sample size (twelve game season, two game playoff) , it's still a subjective process. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Last season Ohio State had wins at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, and over Michigan, 3 top 10 teams.  Last year's Ohio State team, had a damn good resume.  This year's Bama team doesn't even have 3 wins over top 25 teams, and that's with Mississippi State being ranked for the sole purpose of boosting Bama.

Totally agree with you, but I found it ironic that this is the same team that had no problem jumping a team that 1. Won its conference and 2. Beat them. 

Alabama had a weak schedule and still made it. It's time for an 8 team playoff, but the players are going to be tired by the championship game. That's a lot of games to make college players play in, and injuries are bound to happen.

• Love 2

This weekend was very exciting and fun for my alma mater. Worst kept secret confirmed ... Scott Frost is Nebraska’s new coach. The attitude, atmosphere, just everything right now feels so good. I’m excited for the future. Was interesting to hear from Osborne Scott wasn’t completely sure until Friday and Nebraska didn’t call him three years ago after Pelini was dismissed. About 200 former letterwinners met Frost prior to the news conference to welcome him home. 

Mad props to UCF for going undefeated. And also, those kids, administration and fans are beyond wonderful. I think the entire state of Nebraska is now rooting for him always (unless playing us). 

I hope OU loses. 

• Love 2

I don't like it when there's no Rose Bowl game. IMO it should be a B1G team and a PAC 12 team game, not a play off. I was reading about when Iowa made the Rose Bowl and the marching band regarded it as bigger than a national championship game.

• Love 3