Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

All of the B1G alums who wander in and out of here...how do you feel about The Rose Bowl as a playoff game?

Who was the other conference normally invited, the PAC-12?

Yeah, the Rose Bowl was traditionally Pac-10 vs. Big-10.  I support a playoff system heartily, and I don't particularly care that in setting one up they opted to use the Rose Bowl as one of the games (maybe I did in the beginning, but I can't remember; I don't think so), even though just based on a long history there is indeed a little twinge of weirdness for USC to win the Pac-12 and be in a different bowl game.

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

The Rose Bowl tradition is dead and has been for awhile. I know some older B1G and Pac-12 fans still hang on to it, but it's time to move on.

Not for BIG & PAC12 teams it wasn't.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Not for BIG & PAC12 teams it wasn't.

I don't think it's been that way for awhile even for the players -- especially considering they can probably barely remember when the bowl was traditionally a Big Ten vs. Pac 10 game. Shrug. I loved the Rose Bowl tradition more than anyone. But the B1G and Pac10 playing in the game on New Year's Day? That started dying when Nebraska and Miami played in the bowl for the BCS title in 2001. 

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, the Rose Bowl was traditionally Pac-10 vs. Big-10.  I support a playoff system heartily, and I don't particularly care that in setting one up they opted to use the Rose Bowl as one of the games (maybe I did in the beginning, but I can't remember; I don't think so), even though just based on a long history there is indeed a little twinge of weirdness for USC to win the Pac-12 and be in a different bowl game.

The playoff sites rotate between the several of the big bowls -- Sugar, Rose, Peach and Fiesta, I think. Maybe Orange and Cotton too? The Rose was always going to be in the group, it is the most prestigious of the bowl games. That's why all this nonsense came about, because the other conferences wanted access to the Rose. Oh yeah, and the money. 

• Love 1

I guess I respected what they did with the CFB Playoff format, but IMO I think they could have waited and choose two of the six areas after the teams were announced. I'd be okay if at least one of the two B1G or PAC12 champs were involved (a la Oregon vs FSU in 2015), but neither being there is not cool.  Especially since it is Ohio State & USC (first time in 33 years I believe).  Personally, had it been any other combination, I'd be okay with the PAC-12 & Big 10 champs elsewhere over the Rose Bowl.  Really OSU should've or could've played USC in Pasadena last year had the eventual Big Ten champ won at Heinz Field in 2016

Edited to add my mild surprise that Barkley didn't even get an invite to New York for the Heisman.  I guess it supports my beliefs that November, December, and January football is greater than September & October football.  I do get a laugh when the media says crown this guy or that guy.  No need for the Heisman Trophy ceremony, period.  Then the "champ" isn't even going.  Baker Mayfield is winning on Saturday, but I doubt Barkley feel off that much from where he was, or he wasn't even the clear frontrunner

Edited by Carey

The NCAA has always said that "student athletes" should always sign because of the school, and not the coach. If they truly believe that , I have a modest proposal, engineering/chem/econ/etc professors should be granted recruit visits instead of coaches. Pretty sure that's not going to happen.

I would really love to see a buyout tracker with all of the dead money millions that schools are throwing around to hire/fire coaches. 

And that doesn't even include the amount  that schools voluntarily give coaches in lucrative extensions even though those pay raises have little effect on preventing coaches from taking new jobs. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Do they show everyone who receives votes?  Because LeBatard said we would know his vote so I was wondering if that kid from UCF got a vote.

A writer for the Omaha World Herald voted the UCF QB third. Ultimately he was 8th. He tweeted out his vote this morning. Channel 5 included some vote totals in their story last night. 

Edited by Mischievious

Congrats to Army.  First time in over 20 years they've won the Commander In Chief Cup.  Tho, I wouldn't necessarily be happy that I won a trophy under this Commander In Chief, but that's me.

It was a good game.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2017 at 6:25 PM, xaxat said:

The NCAA has always said that "student athletes" should always sign because of the school, and not the coach. If they truly believe that , I have a modest proposal, engineering/chem/econ/etc professors should be granted recruit visits instead of coaches. Pretty sure that's not going to happen.

I would really love to see a buyout tracker with all of the dead money millions that schools are throwing around to hire/fire coaches. 

And that doesn't even include the amount  that schools voluntarily give coaches in lucrative extensions even though those pay raises have little effect on preventing coaches from taking new jobs. 

I think the players should be able to transfer at least once without sitting out a season.

The ridiculous thing is that the NCAA doesn't have the rule that requires athletes to sit out in all sports. As far as I know only football, basketball (both men and women), baseball, and hockey requires athletes to sit a year.  I found that out because OU's softball team has had at few transfer in the last few years. The pitcher that threw the last few innings of their championship game played for Missouri as a freshman the year before. They had another Missouri pitcher transfer in this year too.  It seems ridiculous that they wouldn't have the same rules for all, but I guess it's probably about the $$$. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

So the Famous Potato Bowl wound up with a match up of two teams with uniforms that look like potatoes. Genius!

I also thought it was funny that the Bad Boy Mower Bowl was held in a dome with field turf. 

Super Bowl half time entertainer: Justin Timberlake

College Football Playoff half time entertainer: Kendrick Lamar

College football wins in a landslide. 

• Love 2

Holy crap, USC is absolutely killing itself in the Cotton Bowl, and killing me in the process.  Ohio State is playing very well, I'm not taking anything away from them, but the majority of their points have come off of big mistakes by USC. 

• Love 1

I wanted USC to not embarrass themselves but so far besides the decent defense and the one special teams turnover, they look terrible. The offense and all those turnovers are inexcusable. The PAC 12 has stunk it up this year in bowl games. I guess Darnold's stock is plummeting in the draft, but he needs to be smarter with the ball. At least he was exposed that he's a fumbling risk.

Edited by twoods

This sideline melee is embarrassing, after an embarrassing performance.  USC had 15 yards coming to them from the late hit on Darnold, and then to toss that aside by coming in as a vigilante and start a big mess that will offset penalties was just something that wasn't needed.  I understand the frustration, because they played like ass when they're a good team, but they played like ass.  Don't make it worse by acting like it, too.

Darnold has had a weird, inconsistent season.  It bit him in the ass big time tonight.

2017 has sucked like a Dyson, so how else was this game going to go?  But damn.

Darnold is not ready for the pros.  He handled himself poorly by panicking too much, his footwork was bad, and he just seemed lost when the defense broke through the offensive lines.

If he's smart he'll stay another year in school.  If the Browns draft him, he's sure to be a bust.  (and I love the Browns - at least the theoretical idea of the Browns).

I'm not sure if Meyer was smart to play quietly in the 2nd half so his players didn't get injured, or if it was the poor passing of his true QB love JT that kept the Buckeyes quiet in the 2nd half.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

It's early, but the Big Ten streak will end tonight if Wisconsin's defense doesn't pick it up.  They are allowing big plays, missing tackles.  It's the Big Ten championship game all over again. 

I blame Paul Chryst - he's not wearing the Bowl souvenir sweatshirt, but a Wisconsin football sweatshirt.  What was he thinking??

Edited to add - Van Ginkle must have been reading this.  Just after I posted he got the INT and that changed momentum the Badgers' way.  I still wish Chryst would change his sweatshirt at the half.  

How can a coach grab an official, having to be held back, screaming abuse, and not get tossed from the game?  Wow, great example for those young men on your sideline, Coach Richt.  If a player did that, there's no question they would be ejected.  Why does a coach get away with that?  

Editing again so that Paul Chryst's sweatshirt can say, "Relax, Calvada, I've got this."  

Re Richt - It was an SEC crew - probably too used to kissing Saban's ring to know how to deal with a coach who acts like that.  

Hey, Miami, Wisconsin will take that turnover chain now.  Congratulations to the Wisconsin Badgers - 13 wins this season!  Let's all jump around! 

Edited by Calvada
Update!

Mark Richt after the game:   "I lost my cool and I think rightfully so" after his blow up with officials at the Orange Bowl. He says bad calls or lack of calls "continued right to the end of the game. I'm probably not supposed to say that."

Just shut up.  Calls are missed in every game, on both sides.  There's something on Twitter right now with one of the Miami defenders pushing Hornibrook's head into the ground.  I don't remember that being called in the game.  Your team lost.  They were simply outplayed.  Your QB had 3 interceptions.  Your kicker missed a chip shot field goal.  Wisconsin kept their cool, didn't let the early deficit get them down, their coach acted like a professional (something, Coach Richt, it seems you need to work on), and was the better team on the field tonight.  On WWWWWWWWWWWWWisconsin!

• Love 1

The last two games today have to BRING IT to be as entertaining as LSU/ND and Auburn/the only undefeated team in all of college football UCF.

SEC 0-2 hahahaha and I only say that because I don’t know who won the Michigan game.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

You had one job Michigan, now you're the only Big Ten team that lost *snicker*

Really....leave it to TSUN to ruin the B1G's perfect bowl season.

• Love 1

To do it the way they did, with a 16-point lead late in the 3rd quarter, and then turnovers on 3 of their last 4 possessions.  Harbaugh said after the game, "Another year in pursuit of excellence, that's how we'll look at it."   That's a novel way of looking at an 8-5 season culminating in a meltdown in your bowl game.  

Somewhere, my mom is smiling.  She despised the University of Michigan, and rooted for their opponent in every game and in every sport.  Even when we would tell her that a Michigan win would benefit Wisconsin in some way, she wouldn't care.  

• Love 1

Well that was a dagger right to the heart.  I have been an OK fan for thirty years and also I hate the SEC.  

That play calling by Riley at the end of regulation was...curious.

For me, an all-SEC final would be the WORST.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

To do it the way they did, with a 16-point lead late in the 3rd quarter, and then turnovers on 3 of their last 4 possessions.  Harbaugh said after the game, "Another year in pursuit of excellence, that's how we'll look at it."   That's a novel way of looking at an 8-5 season culminating in a meltdown in your bowl game.

You can tell yourself what you want Harbaugh but fact is that there are five teams with more than ten wins in the Big Ten and your record is the same as Iowa's, who btw did win their bowl.

• Love 2

Is Santa granting all my wishes? First, with the Bills going to the playoffs and now Oklahoma losing. I know it's too greedy having Alabama lose as well but it doesn't hurt to still wish for it.

Ugh, SEC vs. SEC in the national championship?  I'll root for Georgia, because I'll root for almost anyone against Nick Saban, but it's going to be hard to care about that game.

I'm so bummed about OU losing, but that was a game for the ages.

• Love 3

It’s good for the venue, because the local fans will be flocking to the Benz as much as ticket allotments will allow, but I can’t imagine it’s going to be great for national ratings.

Good thing the wretched game is the one that ended after a lot of the country probably fell asleep.

On a related note, I know many people love the college football OT, but I still hate it.  Mostly because you do nothing and are in scoring range already. 

Should at least move the starting pnt back to the 30 at a minimum, if not the 40 or 50. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s good for the venue, because the local fans will be flocking to the Benz as much as ticket allotments will allow, but I can’t imagine it’s going to be great for national ratings.

My first thought was "They just played at the Benz!"

Then I remembered we now have two of them.

• Love 1

I was rooting for GA because 1) new blood and 2) I despise Baker Mayfield.

obviously I weould prefer the B1G or ACC, but anyone but Bama.

And yes, that was a game for the ages.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

I don't follow much college football, so I don't really care about any of the teams.  However, I'd seen/heard about Baker Mayfield, can't stand the sight of him, and I'm glad that he lost.  It was a joy seeing him bent over in defeat.

• Love 3

Nick Saban is upset that there are only 7 days between games.  Those poor Alabama players had to stay in New Orleans last night, then travel 300 miles back to Tuscaloosa, and in just 3 days, they have to travel 200 miles to Atlanta.  He said, "Someone has to think about the players, and not what's convenient for the media or TV."  Oh, the humanity!

Two things come to mind - during the season, don't teams have a Saturday night game one week, and then play at noon the following Saturday?  They all seem to survive that.  And supposedly then they are going to classes during the week.  They are on winter break now.   Second, don't all these guys want to play in the NFL?  Where you can play on Sunday, then play on Thursday?  Or have a night game on Monday, and then a noon game the next Sunday?  Four NFL teams played on Sunday, and have a playoff game on Saturday.  

It cannot be said enough:  shut up, Nick Saban.  

• Love 3