Type keyword(s) to search

Kanye West: The Most Intelligent Celebrity

Message added by Aethera

Discussion of Kanye's run for the US Presidency is off-limits here, unless and until the run appears on the show itself, as per our Politics Policy. https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94644-politics-primetimer-updated-070319

• Start Topic

He seems to think he's a wondrous visual artiste now....on the level of Picasso.

And last week he wanted to be creative director of The Gap. He must hear voices or something, no normal person acts like this.

• Love 3

Was he like this before his accident? Maybe he suffered some brain damage. And who the hell signed on at Oxford, of all places, to allow him to speak? Somebody's been blowing smoke up his ass!

• Love 1

So Kanye did this terrible shitty performance on The Jonathan Ross Show while he was in the UK over the weekend, where they had to build him a huge glowing white box so he could "sing" a song about North.

http://youtu.be/LaGmsQn79So

More info: Kanye West strikes again - singer lies down and 'refuses to speak' on Jonathan Ross

There was nothing about that performance that didn't suck ass. The song sucked, his voice sucked, the performance sucked. I can't believe that there are people who actually think that this tool has talent. WTF has happened to the people in America? Has the bar really been set THAT low? He and his slutty wife actually make me embarrassed to be an American.
  • Love 6

There was nothing about that performance that didn't suck ass. The song sucked, his voice sucked, the performance sucked. I can't believe that there are people who actually think that this tool has talent. WTF has happened to the people in America? Has the bar really been set THAT low? He and his slutty wife actually make me embarrassed to be an American.

Hey, the British didn't laugh him off the stage (err, I mean off his weird glowing white box) either... as they should have.

• Love 1

You know, I have to say, I didn't hate that performance.  I don't get the white box thing,  I mean, to me it looked like he was in an asylum, all he needed were the padded walls (hmmmmm....) but I think you could tell that the song really meant a lot to Kanye.  It was about his mother and his daughter and it looked like he was really putting himself into that performance.  And hey, it was kind of a relief for him not to be yelling about bitches, hoes, fucking this and that and racism and how the white man don't understand artistry and all that shit. 

I think what bothers me most about a lot of Kanye's performances is that I don't understand what he's doing.  I find him kind of awkward to watch, and exceptionally distracting to the music, but it's clear that he wants you to really pay attention.  The same thing happened during his performance with Rihanna and Sir Paul at the Grammy awards.  I've never been a huge Kanye West fan, but I went back and watched his VMA Gold Digger performance and his American Idol Heartless performance on YouTube and he was so much more likeable.  He had swagger, he was entertaining, he had presence. 

Now he just looks like he's convulsing in a white box. 

But like I said, it's better than him cursing at me.

• Love 4
(edited)

You know, I have to say, I didn't hate that performance.  I don't get the white box thing,  I mean, to me it looked like he was in an asylum, all he needed were the padded walls (hmmmmm....) but I think you could tell that the song really meant a lot to Kanye.  It was about his mother and his daughter and it looked like he was really putting himself into that performance.  And hey, it was kind of a relief for him not to be yelling about bitches, hoes, fucking this and that and racism and how the white man don't understand artistry and all that shit. 

I think what bothers me most about a lot of Kanye's performances is that I don't understand what he's doing.  I find him kind of awkward to watch, and exceptionally distracting to the music, but it's clear that he wants you to really pay attention.  The same thing happened during his performance with Rihanna and Sir Paul at the Grammy awards.  I've never been a huge Kanye West fan, but I went back and watched his VMA Gold Digger performance and his American Idol Heartless performance on YouTube and he was so much more likeable.  He had swagger, he was entertaining, he had presence. 

Now he just looks like he's convulsing in a white box. 

But like I said, it's better than him cursing at me.

I want to enjoy the music, I don't want to have to try and figure out what the message is.  Yes it can have an emotional impact.. happy or sad etc but even watching him perform with Paul and Rhianna was distracting from the music and its meaning due to his physical performance, which screamed look at me, look at me!! But as you said, it's better then hearing how he fucked Kim on a sink and impregnated  her mouth.

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 2

No matter how well or poorly Kanye does, he'll deem himself the next Julia Child. Then he'll add cooking to his growing list of artistic aspirations (and subsequent failures.)

God if he loses we'll have to hear how he lost because people hate interracial marriage and want to keep the black man down. Hopefully he'll cut an artery and have to withdraw from the competition....

• Love 1

God if he loses we'll have to hear how he lost because people hate interracial marriage and want to keep the black man down. Hopefully he'll cut an artery and have to withdraw from the competition....

It's a shame this clearly isn't real, because we know we'd all love to see the tantrum he'd throw losing.

• Love 1

I think its a joke because thats a fan run Twitter account for Chopped and Food Network tweets all Chopped related stuff directly from their Twitter.

I certainly hope so, there's only so much my brain can handle before it explodes.

Actually I think it sounds about right. Kanye was a highly respected and in demand producer/writer before he broke out on his own which means he probably makes a lot on royalties from other artists' songs. His solo albums have sold 20 million or so and he's had huge hit singles like Golddigger, All Falls Down, Jesus Walks, etc. He's had some fairly successful tours as well. YMMV but while yes he's nutty and his ego is out of control, the man has worked hard over the years at his music and craft and put in the time so I'm certainly not disgusted by his making money anymore than I would be at Jay Z who is worth like 500 million. 

• Love 4

I dont think its exaggerated either. I remember around the time leading up to Kimye wedding there was an article talking about how simple the prenup was and that Kanye didn't even want one, but Kris was insisting Kim have one. Someone from Forbes was quoted in the article saying he was shocked Kanye wouldnt want when he was worth well over 100 million.

(edited)

I wish the hell I wasn't so old because I'd be curious to see in 40 years if Kim and Kanye are still together and what they'll look like. Will there be a sneaker shoe line called 'Yeezer's for Geezers'?  Will they be walking with Swarovski crystal encrusted tips on their walkers? Will Kim's butt be behind her knees instead of below her back? Will her boobs sag below her hemline? Oh all these things will forever be a mystery to me since I'll be long dead and dusty.

Oh one last thing. I know that auto-tune is necessary for Kanye because although he can carry a note, he has no vibrato in his voice. My sister and I used to go underwater together holding hands and face to face. We would then laugh and talk to each other saying words, and it sounded exactly like that.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

I dont think its exaggerated either. I remember around the time leading up to Kimye wedding there was an article talking about how simple the prenup was and that Kanye didn't even want one, but Kris was insisting Kim have one. Someone from Forbes was quoted in the article saying he was shocked Kanye wouldnt want when he was worth well over 100 million.

Why did he need a pre nup? I'm sure Kim's covered both of them. I'm sure she's way wealthier.

I think he's wealthier. The same web site that had Kanye's net worth at 130 million had Kim's at somewhere around 85 million, if I remember correctly. Although let's be honest, she does quite well for literally just showing up someplace and breathing. And it's not like the paps are something that she has to endure with it; I think she likes it.

This dude' a f***ing jackass.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/madonna-calls-kanye-west-the-black-madonna-plus-9-more-outrageous-yeezy-comparisons-53380

Let's keep this straight. Madonna thinks that Kanye is the black version of her, while Kim is throwing Madge under the bus as the alleged "inspiration" for her hideous new hair.

Madonna has always been a mouthy brat with an over exaggerated sense of self importance, so, I guess I agree with her. 

• Love 6

I can't say I find this website to be all that trustworthy. It ain't exactly Forbes, however, I don't have a problem believing that Kayne is worth close to or over $100 mil and I actually don't have a problem with it. He was/is a producer, he writes lyrics & he performs. He is always looking for ways to advance his artistry even though it may seem odd or even laughable to me. First and foremost he has passion. He is passionate about his music. He is passionate about fashion. He is passionate about all mediums of art really. I must admit that I admire him for that. I may not like him all that much but I have to give him that. Perhaps he shouldn't be venturing into some of the things that he is but at least the man is striving for something. Where he veers off into the absurd is with his huge ego. Humility would go a long way as he tries to breaks these barriers.

The ones that make me sick are the Kardashians. Why the hell are they worth tens if not a hundred million dollars? What the hell are they passionate about? What do they do? What are they striving for? I must admit that I had more patience and a slight bit of affection for Kayne before he hooked up with Kim. I started not liking him and seeing bad ulterior motives in everything he did once he hooked up with Satan's spawn. Frankly, I blame him for making the Kardashians even bigger now and more accepted into the mainstream and I HATE THAT!!! He is the one that talked Anna into putting her/them on Vogue. Hooked Kim up with top designers. Got her big ass sitting in the front row in Paris at all the shows. Got designers sending her shit. Kendall is now a top tier model because of him no matter what she says. I blame Kayne.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 9

Anonymous has a hundred different little splinter groups/segments, so it's not as easy as simply saying if it is or isn't them.  Frankly I haven't bothered looking in on them in years, but my memory is that a portion of them would be angry at Anon even bothering to comment on a pop culture phenomenon (Tom Cruise stuff is different, because Scientology impacted the real world so strongly).  But another portion I seem to recall might actually call out any douchbag like Kanye who made such a big public spectacle of him or herself.

I can't believe it, but I did watch the entire video and it was spot on. It's hard to know if it really is Anonymous, but given the case they make against him, it could be. There was reference to while the world is burning down around us he's basically just using his power for stupid and evil and not good.

The Daily Mail's take is kind of hilarious -- so offended for Kanye.

But seriously, if even one person looks at that and thinks "you know, he's right; maybe I shouldn't be posting a selfie of my naked ass a la Kim Kardashian" then they did their job.

• Love 1

I was disappointed that Obama backed off on his comments about Kanye. He and wife don't approve of shows like the Kardashians, but Kanye's  music is terrific? Really? He'd be happy with his daughters dancing around the house singing those lyrics.. .

• Love 1

I was disappointed that Obama backed off on his comments about Kanye. He and wife don't approve of shows like the Kardashians, but Kanye's  music is terrific? Really? He'd be happy with his daughters dancing around the house singing those lyrics.. .

It's not like he said ALL of Kanye's music is terrific. Much of it is. You won't find many Black folks 40 and under who don't appreciate his first 4 or 5 albums. I know plenty who at this point still stan for Kanye the musician and prefer to pretend Kanye Kardashian doesn't exist.

• Love 3

You could still like music you may not necessarily want your children to listen to, two separate things. I could believe Obama likes Kanyes music. I find the guy to be a massive tool and his music isn't my cup of tea but I know a lot of people who like it especially his earlier stuff.

• Love 1

I love several of Kanye's albums, so him behaving like a tool in public and having people doubt his talent hurts my heart a little (I mean, as much as for anyone who makes their own bed. Hubris, hamartia etc ) I honestly think his mother dying made him go over the deep end. 

I remember years ago, right around College Dropout and Late Registration, and he was still dating Alexis Phifer, Fashion Television (with Jeanne Beker) interviewed him at a fashion show in Paris or New York, one of the big ones (Marc Jacobs?) Beker asks him "What brings you to this show?" and he smiles and says to Alexis, "Why we here, baby?" and Alexis answered in a very knowledgeable and fashion/design conscious way. And Kanye goes, "And that's why we're here." 

This is them wandering around Paris during Paris Fashion Week. The difference is pretty amazing. enhanced-25836-1400863421-27.jpg

• Love 2
I love several of Kanye's albums, so him behaving like a tool in public and having people doubt his talent hurts my heart a little (I mean, as much as for anyone who makes their own bed. Hubris, hamartia etc )

Trust me, I feel you. As a person who grooved and still grooves to Power, Runaway, All Falls Down, Gold-digger, Jesus Walks, Touch The Sky, Can't Tell Me Nothing - I could go on. Everytime he says something else ridiculous and goes on on some batshit crazy rant it just saddens me. 

• Love 3

There are no words, make sure you click through & look at all the pictures

http://www.gossipcop.com/kanye-west-yeezy-season-one-zine-photos-naked-models-pictures-adidas-lookbook/#10

A quick glance is all I could manage. Jackass, indeed.

What comes to mind for me is "pretentious".  Everything from his appropriation of the term "“zine" (for something it doesn't really apply to) to the lame attempt at social commentary having naked model photos, photos of stacks of garbage and shots of his clothes, all side by side.  

It's like the White Room to perform his song on the Ross show.  That was pretentious too. 

I know it's probably just a splinter of Anonymous, and overall the times they've veered from Scientology (the one totally righteous target of theirs) that group (or it's splinters) has just bugged me for their own annoying tendencies, but I gotta say they did peg onto that aspect of his accurately.  I'm not sure he was ever this admirable artist some people defend his beginnings as, but he is indeed just a pretentious douchebag now, probably doing more harm than good, because well... he's a really bad example. Which isn't big harm (thus me still rolling my eyes a bit at the Anonymous action), but it IS harm nonetheless.

• Love 2

I'm not sure who thinks Kanye grew up poor because as someone who's followed his career since his first album, I've always known that his mother was a well educated college professor who raised him in a comfortable, though by no means rich, life and I heard many times about his year living in China with her. Now granted he's gotten nuttier and nuttier in recent years so maybe he's started telling tales about his life in poverty but when Kanye came on the scene, his upbringing and childhood was a fairly public thing. 

YMMV but if someone just assumes he was dirt poor because he's black and a rapper then that's on them and their prejudice. I can't put that on Kanye and I disagree about his not doing much to disabuse them of that since as noted, I knew Kanye wasn't poor because he and his mom were very public about his childhood growing up. And if I knew it, and it's not like I was reading or watching every bit of media about Kanye, then I'm sure if one cared enough to, they would know it too. But sometimes it's just easier to run with stereotypes. Again, I have no argument about Kanye's ridiculous behavior in recent years but I'm not willing to accuse him of any and all things.