Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AnimeMania

Archive 81

Archive 81 is an 8 one-hour episode supernatural horror series filmed in Pittsburgh.

All 8 episodes will be released on the same day on Netflix on January 14. 

This is an original story that is loosely inspired by a popular podcast of the same name.
FGlKDFsXIAQ3KN5.jpg

Mamoudou Athie as Dan Turner
Archive81_Season1_Episode6_00_02_26_14R.

Archive 81 follows archivist Dan Turner (Mamoudou Athie), who takes a  mysterious job restoring a collection of damaged videotapes from 1994. 

Dina Shihabi as Melody Pendras
ARCHIVE_105_Unit_04215RC.jpg

Reconstructing the work of a documentary filmmaker named Melody Pendras (Dina Shihabi), he is drawn into her investigation of a dangerous cult at the Visser apartment building. 

As the season unfolds across these two timelines, Dan slowly finds himself obsessed with uncovering what happened to Melody. When the two characters form a mysterious connection, Dan becomes convinced he can save her from the terrifying end she met 25 years ago.

(L to R) Gameela Wright as Erica Lewis, Ariana Neal as Jess, Martin Sola as Father Russo, Dina Shihabi as Melody Pendras  
ARCHIVE_103_Unit_00944RC.jpg
Ariana Neal as Jess, a smart, independent, entrepreneurial ninth grader who strikes up a friendship with Melody. Stricken with a mysterious ailment, she asks Melody for help — a request that ultimately puts them both in danger.

Mark is an eccentric trust-fund kid obsessed with his Mystery Signals podcast, Mark is Dan’s best friend. Outgoing, larger than life, self-absorbed yet kind, he encourages Dan to take the job that will give him an exclusive story for his podcast. But when their investigation gets them in over their heads, Mark steps up and shows his true loyalty.

Matt Mcgorry as Mark Higgins, Mamoudou Athie as Dan Turner 
ARCHIVE_108_Unit_00432RC-1.jpg

Martin Donovan as Virgil Davenport, a secretive billionaire who recruits Dan for a mysterious restoration project. He presents himself as forthright, friendly and plain-spoken - but he’s clearly hiding a darker agenda.

Martin Donovan as Virgil Davenport

Archive81_Season1_Episode5_00_48_48_14R.
Evan Jonigkeit as Samuel, a charming, enigmatic professor who cultivates a friendship with Melody — but his strange influence over the other residents in the building soon leads her to question his motives.

Julia Chan as Anabelle, a struggling artist and party girl who burns hot and bright. Loud, outrageous, and adventurous, she’s Melody’s best friend and fiercest protector — even if that sometimes runs counter to what Melody wants.

The rest of Archive 81 cast:
Trayce Malachi as Young Dan
Kate Eastman as Tamara Stefano
Kristin Griffith as Cassandra Wall
Charlie Hudson III as Steven Turner
Jaxon Rose Moore as Emily Turner
Eden Marryshow as  John Smith
Daniel Johnson as Visser Tenant
Johnna Leary as Visser Tenant

Archive 81  Episode Titles and Descriptions all episodes released on January 14, 2022 on Netflix

Spoiler

S01.E01: Mystery Signals
Haunted by a family tragedy, Dan begins to restore videotapes for a cryptic firm. Then he's startled to learn of his connection to their missing creator.
AAAAQf8brwch9n2WiRcOw2le88XkHmCQzedNkffw

S01.E02: Wellspring
Messages from the dead arrive while Dan follows Melody on her investigation into the Visser. But who's watching the watcher — and what lies below?
AAAAQVHsQTvts1XgOZJjp2oC7S4PixQkSkGYU5dZ

S01.E03: Terror in the Aisles
The past loops back around as Melody returns to Steven with Jess. Mark checks out a find. Dan tries to map his situation, but he may be losing his way.
AAAAQbs8Ruuby9LmD_SrcX541vUvpyss_RIZJcm5

S01.E04: Spirit Receivers
In the woods, Dan encounters the unexpected. In the tapes, Melody learns about the cult and makes contact during a shocking séance.
AAAAQVR9Ag6WZWhbJDZdAcTicw6rGN2DUZYO-ptU

S01.E05: Through the Looking Glass
The past blurs into the present when Melody visits a forbidden floor in search of an inspired Anabelle. Music leads to lost souls — and revelations.
AAAAQSiQyUSyTDS4NaRc6uPJ85zVfnLbxOLkzPYx

S01.E06: The Circle
A circle tightens, panic grows: Dan learns about his predecessor, and Melody tries to track the source of the Visser's dangers. Yet the evil spreads.
AAAAQYqTqFmpGiIuiriJrh0rLLTz5HSettAZuQFL

S01.E07: The Ferryman
The veil drops from a cursed film's origins. At the Vos Mansion in 1924, Iris recruits Rose for a blood ritual. Dan knows he must find Anabelle.
AAAAQURP2FNAc9dj-wYZxb0ipGXdIm6eNWddPRAp

S01.E08: What Lies Beneath
The Otherworld beckons. Melody circles back to the Visser, where a new device captures a sacrifice. So much depends on Dan's journey into the unknown.
AAAAQXlNBmfjxVrOzZ7JBXfW7If6ZECUBWWLU7GM

From Podcast to Small Screen, Meet the Mysterious Cast of ‘Archive 81’

The First Creepy Footage from ‘Archive 81’ Is Here

From Audio Tapes to VHS: The History Behind ‘Archive 81’

I've finished the first 2 episodes and am really enjoying it so far. When shows (or books) are split into 2 timelines, I often find one less compelling than the other so I'm happy that's not the case here.

I listened to the podcast when it first started a few years ago. Season 2 took a really strange turn and I only made it a few episodes in. It wasn't bad, but it pivoted so much that it essentially became a different series IIRC. I'll be interested to see if the Netflix show goes the same way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I've finished the first 2 episodes and am really enjoying it so far. When shows (or books) are split into 2 timelines, I often find one less compelling than the other so I'm happy that's not the case here.

I finished episode 3, and I'm finding Melody's timeline starting to drag. I'm not really interested in all of the apartment tenants either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Three eps in and I'm very interested to see where this is going and would like to dish with others...however this is a mega-thread and that means spoilers will inevitably show up.  If a show is worth cataloguing I wish they would go ahead and split it into episode forums or let the posters do it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Three eps in and I'm very interested to see where this is going and would like to dish with others...however this is a mega-thread and that means spoilers will inevitably show up.  If a show is worth cataloguing I wish they would go ahead and split it into episode forums or let the posters do it.

Same. I'm also three episodes in and really liking the story so far. I'll probably not read here again until I have finished the series. I'm afraid I'll be spoiled since this forum is an all-in-one. 

13 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Binged it. I dislike shows that leave a lot of unanswered questions at the end. I always feel cheated somehow. Is this a one and done?

So far it is one season, although they say they left room for another season and are in the process of fleshing it out in case the show gets renewed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just finished this series and overall liked it, though I'm not normally a big fan of the "found footage" structure. Also, I understand that having an "out-there" plot means there are things that won't make sense, but it's still frustrating. I'll have more to say after others comment, but for now I have these questions, which I'll put in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

In 1924 when Lukas left the comet party and was confronted by Iris, he told her he couldn't be a part of this anymore. I don't remember the exact words, but it sounded like the plan was for everybody at the party to die (not just one human sacrifice) in order to fulfill her dream. Did anyone else get that impression? It's unclear how they were all supposed to die, when just a few people went to the basement for the ritual and the rest of the guests seemed to stay upstairs and party. It's also unclear if the fire that destroyed the mansion happened that night or at a later date, and if it was that night, if it was intentional or a side effect of the ritual. A final question about this is what happened to Lukas after he left. Maybe he set the fire to stop the destruction that Iris and the other brother planned? Or did he just walk away and live out his life anonymously, without revealing what he knew to anyone? If there is a season 2, I would like to see that addressed.

How did Cassandra (the older red-haired woman in 1994) end up with the kharonite necklace that Iris had in 1924 and that Iris put on Rose before sacrificing her? Before the sacrifice, I wondered if Cassandra was Rose because they both had red hair (though Cassandra's was from a bottle and she really didn't seem old enough to have been about 20 in 1924), but that can't be true if Rose died. Related to this question, Cassandra had a nude painting of her "sister" Eleanor (really her lover, according to Annabelle) wearing the necklace--presumably Cassandra got the necklace from her sister/lover, but where did Eleanor get it? I guess we have to assume it survived the fire in the mansion and was auctioned or turned up in an antiques store.

I was really disappointed with episode 7, since the film was already revealed and shown twice, and we know what happens.

I wish the focus of the show was kept on Dan.