Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

Black-ish      S08.E01: That’s What Friends Are For
Season Premiere 

Bow convinces Dre to attend a fundraising event for When We All Vote in hopes to make some new couple friends (and to do their part in increasing participation in each and every election), but Dre is convinced there will be nothing but dud husbands there to befriend. Their expectations are far exceeded when the special guest for the evening is none other than Michelle Obama. To their surprise, the former first lady accepts an invitation for dinner at their house. But on the evening of the special meal, the rest of the Johnsons want to crash the occasion.

(I would bet money on one Johnson not crashing the occasion or maybe even the whole season, DeVante). Let's see if DeVante evens gets a shout-out.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, JAN. 4 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST/PST) on ABC 
161036_5448-900x0.jpg
161037_5774-900x0.jpg
161037_5810-900x0.jpg
161037_5459-900x0.jpg

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

(I would bet money on one Johnson not crashing the occasion or maybe even the whole season, DeVante). Let's see if DeVante evens gets a shout-out.

Whoops, I guess I am big enough to admit when I was wrong. The only good B.O. is BO44!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Marley said:

Wait I thought Dre was starting his own biz last season. I kind of forget last season tho since it seems so long ago.

He did, but his old company hired him back to be in a different department. You will meet his new marketing crew in the next episode.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Marley said:

Wait I thought Dre was starting his own biz last season. I kind of forget last season tho since it seems so long ago.

He did and the old firm bought his new firm but, as Anime says, he gets a new department.

• Love 1

Did Dre think he wouldn't be the dud husband when the other guy is Barack Obama? 🤣🤣

I love the animated montage. 

I laughed at the fake out of aging Devonte. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Did Dre think he wouldn't be the dud husband when the other guy is Barack Obama? 🤣🤣

I love the animated montage. 

I laughed at the fake out of aging Devonte. 

I enjoyed the premiere overall.   Dre's ego is definitely out there if he thought he wouldn't be the dud husband in that scenario.

The kid playing Devante couldn't even be on the photo with his TV family and Mrs. Obama.    Poor kid wouldn't appreciate it now but might years from now.  

• Love 4

How rich and bougie do you have to be to be like "Fancy cheese party? Fancy massage? Fancy charity event with John Legends? LAME!"

Of course Dre freaks when he realizes that he's the dud husband compared to Barack Obama! There were a lot of good jokes this week, especially Ruby's fake British accent and the older Devante fake out. 

• Love 6
On 1/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, Irlandesa said:

They did.  In fact, Anthony is in New York now filming the rebooted Law & Order.

Stupid question, but do you know if season eight is gonna have the regular length of 22 episodes, since there were be no break in between?

1 hour ago, King of TV said:

Stupid question, but do you know if season eight is gonna have the regular length of 22 episodes, since there were be no break in between?

No.  They'd still be filming if there were 22.

I believe I read this season is 8 episodes. 

Black-ish      S08.E02: The Natural
Dre can’t seem to land a good pitch now that he’s moved up to general marketing at his firm and begins to doubt himself. Meanwhile, Bow and Ruby question the new boy Diane is dating who doesn’t necessarily meet her standards.
Original Airdate: TUESDAY, JAN. 11 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC
160428_9790.jpg
160427_9376.jpg
160428_9496.jpg

• Love 1

If Junior is legit concerned about his girlfriend leaving him for his brother, who is an actual child, it might be time for a better girlfriend. I know that the Johnson's being fancy and Dre having issues with that at times is sort of the premise of the show, but I cant even contemplate being so loaded that you can say "two for one" like other people say "crack pipe." Oh Bow, even Diane is giving you lessons in not being materialistic, what would your dad say? 

This is one of the first times I think I've liked the Dre plot the best, probably because I usually like his work hijinks. Reid Scott was a good guest star, and I am glad they did something with Dre getting a different job. He's eccentric, not crazy. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, I really hated their guts, all of them, with their snotty BS. 

Amen. At least Diane sort of redeemed self at the end. But making fun of a person, a young man no less who is what 17?, Just because he’s driving a Nova, an old car,  and has no money!  Is disgusting and really pissed me off. Bo was sympathetic at the beginning but then reverted to her rich bitch self. I hate this family. I’m glad the show is ending. They are a bunch of snotty wealthy jerks. Who the fuck does Dre think he is, mouthing off at his second meeting at his new position. what a friggin asshole. I’m surprised he was never fired. 

• Love 6

I stopped watching a few years back when they dumbed down Rainbow.  I loved Bo and hated what they did to her character.  I did watch the episode with Michelle O because it was Michelle O, but I see the writing hasn't improved.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, lambertman said:
On 1/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

No.  They'd still be filming if there were 22.

I believe I read this season is 8 episodes. 

There will be at least 11 because the ep with Mrs. Obama was coded #811.

I have episode titles for 13 episodes, so I believe there are 13.

Yea the snotty rich stuff was ridiculous. Diane is in high school what is she supposed to be doing dating a doctor?

Junior apparently works at the ad place where Dre works or at least that’s what I last remember. Which I still think is total bs. 

I liked the hippie ad guy. Dre freaking out I’d a bit ridiculous tho. He’s just allowed to have temper tantrums whenever he wants I guess.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, possibilities said:

Yeah, I really hated their guts, all of them, with their snotty BS. 

It makes no sense to me.  Didn't Dre grow up poor?  Wasn't Ruby in jail?  How would they like having that stuff throw back in their faces by strangers seeking to write them off? 

• Love 4

Black-ish      S08.E03: Bow-Mo

Dre calls into a radio show and gets humiliated in front of Diane and tries to redeem himself. Meanwhile, Bow tries to bond with a group of young female doctors and learns a hard truth. 
Original Airdate: TUESDAY, JAN. 18 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.

(L-R)    STEPHANIE CHARLES,      JEANTE GODLOCK,     SHAKIRA JA'NAI PAYE
160225_5877.jpg
160225_6109.jpg
160225_6293-900x0.jpg
160224_5676-900x0.jpg

STEPHEN A. SMITH

On 1/17/2022 at 2:32 PM, txhorns79 said:

It makes no sense to me.  Didn't Dre grow up poor?  Wasn't Ruby in jail?  How would they like having that stuff throw back in their faces by strangers seeking to write them off? 

Ruby said this episode that she traded fake pregnancies for cash and jewelry and I was like “huh?” because it’s canon that Dre grew up check to check. 

I liked Bow’s story. You can’t be friends with your subordinates. Friend-LY, but not friends. She can and should mentor the doctors coming up behind her, but that’s not the same as friendship. Realistically she’d be lonely at the top - hard to break into the white good ol’ boys club (if she’d even want to), and she can’t be friends with people lower on the ladder because of the power dynamics.

(Hospitals have boards, not partners.)

• Love 10

I liked Bow's plot a lot, you just cant be friends with your subordinates, there is too much of power imbalance. She can be a mentor, but not a peer. I wonder if there is some kind of network for women administrators, especially women of color? It sucks that she cant really connect with either the old boys club or the young women who are just starting out, but hopefully they can appreciate the trail she blazed one day. 

Also I am still convinced that this show has no idea how hospitals work. How does one become a "partner" at a hospital? Its a hospital, not a law firm.

This episode was the best of the season, probably because it didn't feature the family spending the entire time laughing at poor people while drinking $900 Champaign while telling the common folk to eat cake. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2022 at 11:41 AM, tennisgurl said:

I liked Bow's plot a lot, you just cant be friends with your subordinates, there is too much of power imbalance. She can be a mentor, but not a peer. I wonder if there is some kind of network for women administrators, especially women of color? It sucks that she cant really connect with either the old boys club or the young women who are just starting out, but hopefully they can appreciate the trail she blazed one day. 

It's a little silly to me she seemingly has no friends or colleagues at her level at the hospital.  She might be a "partner," but there must be at least a few other doctors who came up with her somewhere in that place.        

• Love 4

Black-ish      S08.E04: Hoop Dreams
Jack gets a job as the locker room attendant for the Los Angeles Lakers, and Dre and Bow feel like they need to step in before letting the job get to his head. Meanwhile, Pops and Ruby realize their daily routine has gotten boring and heed advice from Junior and Olivia
Original Airdate: TUESDAY Jan. 25, 2022    (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
RAJON RONDO, DWIGHT HOWARD, DEANDRE JORDAN
160887_4194-900x0.jpg
DWIGHT HOWARD, ANDREW BACHELOR
160887_3078-900x0.jpg

DWIGHT HOWARD, KENT BAZEMORE
160887_3844-900x0.jpg
160889_3539-900x0.jpg

• Love 1

I hate Junior still. Why would anyone want advice from him. Him trying to get props for hustle for a job he basically only got cause his dad works there. Like shut the fuck up Junior.

Bow and Dre are such idiots.

Thus show is such trash.

• Love 3

I hated this episode. Dre and Bow are ignoring Junior bringing in a 2 million dollar deal and then barging in on the Lakers and insisting Jack quit his job. Do they hate their kids? They are sure jealous of their kids considering they are both wealthy and accomplished people. I know it worked out at the end but still didn’t like it. And some people can’t take calls at work!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Do they hate their kids?

Dre has always treated Jr. like shit (and Jr. is Bow’s favorite).

10 hours ago, Marley said:

Him trying to get props for hustle for a job he basically only got cause his dad works there. Like shut the fuck up Junior.

A client making you their AOR (agency of record) is a big deal. Jr. absolutely only got the job because of his dad, but a) so do many people, the head of the agency on the show hired his son, and b) he’s apparently good at the work on his own. I don’t think Dre is involved with Jr.’s day to day working life. 

• Love 8

This episode was so bad. I once called my kid at work because I didn't realize she was at work. When she told me that's where she was, I was mortified that I disturbed her at work. They should be glad Jack was willing to work late for a job he clearly loves. There are perks, yes, but any job has perks. 

I did wonder if there was going to be a subplot of the basketball players assuming Jack was somehow a poor kid and that "The Oaks" would refer to Oakland, not Sherman Oaks (which I know is not anywhere near LA but maybe he had moved from Oakland). I'm glad/surprised the show didn't go there. 

We hardly see Junior at work anymore, so glad to hear that he's doing well, even if, of course, Dre doesn't give a crap. Dre and Bow were so cringy showing up at Jack's place of work to yell at him in front of the actual LA Lakers, they come off as way less mature than Jack. Why do Bow and Dre seem to actually hate their kids? I'm not surprised that the kids have issues with them as parents. 

This show seems to just be passing the time, its more interested in celebrity cameos then it is in telling actual stories. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

The whole season is just about all the famous people the Johnsons interact with and all the cameos from famous people playing themselves. It's so far from what this used to be. 

Yeah. I imagine though that those celebrities are the main reason Black-ish can pull product placement from brands like McClaren and Rolls Royce. It does seem to me like Traci and Anthony are pretty much phoning it in now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 4

Black-ish      S08.E05: Ashy to Classy

Dre overreacts to Devante leaving the house ashy and Bow intervenes, making the situation worse. Jack makes a bold outfit choice for picture day, and while Junior does not approve, Dre attempts to be more supportive.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, Feb. 1, 2022  (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
160162_2850-900x0.jpg
160161_2390-900x0.jpg
160162_3345-900x0.jpg
160161_6649-900x0.jpg

Do Junior and his girlfriend still have their own home?  Why is it they spend all their time hanging out at Bow and Dre's house?  

On 1/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

It does seem to me like Traci and Anthony are pretty much phoning it in now.

It feels to me like nearly everyone is phoning it in.  Aside from the Michelle Obama episode, there's no real energy and everyone seems ready for the show to be over.   

• Love 1