Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

I thought Jack and Diane had their own car?

Oh come on, teaching a Black child how to avoid ashiness is just basic hygiene, like washing their hands and brushing their teeth. IMO Dre and Bo turn everything up to 11 for no reason because they make everything about themselves.

Diane did Jack wrong--again. He looked like a Hollywood Swingin' fool in that outfit. Kurt Cobain's ghost was laughing and pointing at him.

Jack always finds a way to turn a rock into a precious stone. He might be the most emotionally healthy one in that family. Quite a low bar but still...

Lol, Diane ends up married to Michael B. Jordan in 2045. Because of course she does.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
dre vs. dru; got Power Book II on the brain
  • Love 5

Maybe it's because I know folks who actually do research on child development and parenting education, but Bow's unrecorded podcast where she thinks somehow the fact that she's an anesthesiologist qualifies her to give advice just makes me angry. And I wish the Dre storyline about suppressing emotions actually matched his character over the years.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, QQQQ said:

How are Olivia and Jr. able to spend all of their time together? 

I don’t get this either. Does she have a job? Go to school? And I liked that Dre asked “don’t you have your own place?”

• Love 3
On 2/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Lol, Diane ends up married to Michael B. Jordan in 2045. Because of course she does.

Really? This is where the writers see Diane in 2045? What a downgrade. By 2045, he'll be a washed-up has been. I see Diane as either the wife of a tech trillionaire, the wife of the dictator of a developing country, or (most likely) DIANE will be the dictator of a developing country. Not a doubt in my mind.

• LOL 5

Really? This is where the writers see Diane in 2045? What a downgrade. By 2045, he'll be a washed-up has been. I see Diane as either the wife of a tech trillionaire, the wife of the dictator of a developing country, or (most likely) DIANE will be the dictator of a developing country. Not a doubt in my mind.

It was Jack's's daydream so that's where he sees her in 2045. Jack probably doesn't put much thought into MBJ at all. However, he knows Jordan is Diane's current showbiz crush. So, it was simple for him to imagine Diane's being married to Jordan as a great achievement. Diane's daydream likely would have her becoming a tech tycoon or running some country with a harem of men at her beck and call.

• Love 2

Black-ish      S08.E06: Mom Mentor

When Junior’s girlfriend, Olivia, gets into Yale, he asks Bow to convince her to stay and attend USC instead. Meanwhile, Diane and Jack discover Dre’s inspiration for his ads are hitting a little too close to home.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, Feb. 8, 2022  (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
160274_0811.jpg
160274_0786.jpg
160273_0186.jpg

I'm all for Olivia taking her own future into consideration and doing what's best for her. If Jr. is the one for her, the relationship will withstand the time and distance. If not, I'm sure they're plenty of eligible bachelors at Yale.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

I feel the series is going to end with Junior moving to CT to be with her. 

Probably but I kind of hope they don't.  Junior has boxed himself in by opting not to go to college and going directly into the working world.  He benefited from nepotism but it sounds like he is doing a good job at his dad's marketing firm.  It's not very likely that he's going to find a marketing firm in New Haven who will hire him to do the level of work he's doing now without a degree.  So that will mean he's basically going to sit around for a few years or work jobs that won't advance his career just to be next to his girlfriend. 

The best thing for him would be to stay.  Or to follow and get his degree as well.  (Not at Yale but maybe at another four year school.)

• Love 4

Well apparently Junior is doing a good job but not enough to be able to afford any housing. I get rent can be crazy but is he just planning on living with his parents until Olivia comes back? I must’ve missed something too what is she going to school for again? I thought I heard something about a masters degree.

Also she doesn’t have enough money to pay for apps to schools but she has enough to go to Yale and live on her own?

I’m sure the show will somehow make it that ad genius Junior will move to CT to be with her and he will somehow get this great job even tho the only reason he has his current job is his dad.

This show is stupid but I’m gonna ride it out to end lol I’ve gone this long.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Marley said:

I must’ve missed something too what is she going to school for again? I thought I heard something about a masters degree.

I think it's to be a psychologist based on how she was talking.  Getting a master's degree from Yale can definitely open doors in certain careers, like business (MBA) or law.  I don't know how much benefit psychologists would get compared to a place like USC.  I think it'd depend on her career goals and they didn't really specify what Yale would offer her that she couldn't get from USC--like a certain specialty. It's why, while I'd normally be somewhat upset by a "don't go to this prestigious school and stay close to me" story line, I kind of wasn't.  USC is a decent school. It'd get her training she'd need to get credentialed.  And it'd keep her close to a boyfriend who works full time (and I'd imagine gets bonuses if he's pulling in 2 million dollar accounts.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ashy to classy:

Dre and Bow act as if they haven’t raised 4 other kids already. Why are they not treating the ashy knees matter-of-factly? Didn’t any of the other kids need lotion? 

I did like the end bit with the future Jack.

• Love 1

So Junior is pulling in million dollar accounts but cant make rent at his and Olivia's not very nice apartment building? Do they bring in new continuity people every single week? I know that this show isn't great anymore, but I would think that at least the writers would want to watch previous episodes. 

As usual, Pops/Ruby and the work guys are the highlight of the episode. "How do they know where we live Dre?!" "He makes a fair point."

• Love 3

Mom Mentor: Maybe it is just me, but I don’t see the point in applying to schools that you don’t have at least a serious interest in attending. Aside from the application fees, which can add up, you are taking up the time of the application reviewers and potentially keeping some other applicant from being accepted. Is it just an ego trip?
Hopefully Olivia can afford Yale, because not everyone gets a full scholarship to cover all expenses.

• Love 3

Telling Junior to trap himself a wife (with a baby) because she's going to be well-educated. Good grief, Earl and Ruby need to go somewhere and mind their own business. That might be their worst advice ever.

Please, Dre wishes he looked half as good as the father in that mayonnaise commercial. A quarter as good. A tenth as good. A millimeter as good. A nanometer as good.

Lol, Charlie has a Diane tracker because he's scared of her.

They couldn't get Idris Elba to do a cameo tho? 😍

I don’t see the point in applying to schools that you don’t have at least a serious interest in attending. Aside from the application fees, which can add up, you are taking up the time of the application reviewers and potentially keeping some other applicant from being accepted. Is it just an ego trip?

I don't know but I bet if a kid who's a person of color can publicize being accepted to a bunch of schools, the top tier ones might start competing with each other to be the one they choose. That could mean generous financial aid if not full-ride scholarships. The Ivy League schools in particular like to be shown as encouraging minority enrollment, especially if they're exceptional students.

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't know but I bet if a kid who's a person of color can publicize being accepted to a bunch of schools, the top tier ones might start competing with each other to be the one they choose. That could mean generous financial aid if not full-ride scholarships. The Ivy League schools in particular like to be shown as encouraging minority enrollment, especially if they're exceptional students.

Of course on TV every student is exceptional. It’s like Lake Woebegone. 😊

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Of course on TV every student is exceptional. It’s like Lake Woebegone. 😊

As someone who never listened to/watched any of the Lake Wobegon productions, I guess I walked right into that.☺ I was trying to avoid referencing affirmative action and meritocracy, topics which could be considered political.

Yale is one of the highly competitive schools which has been under legal scrutiny of the way it selects students for admission. They and many if not most of the schools Olivia applied to want to be able to say that all students are selected without regard to their race/ethnicity. So, a student of color who's clearly at the top of the applicant heap makes that easier for them to claim. (Hence Bo's nudging Olivia to include certain buzzwords in her application.) I got no problem with kids taking of advantage of that in whatever way they can, including using social media and other PR to provoke a bunch of schools into competing with each other.

If kids doing widespread applications is a problem for the schools I guess the colleges/universities could try to impose limits but I'm not sure how they'd enforce them without creating some kind of lottery system. And even then they'd probably still be getting sued for someone's interpretation of "unfairness".

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

As someone who never listened to/watched any of the Lake Wobegon productions, I guess I walked right into that.☺ I was trying to avoid referencing affirmative action and meritocracy, topics which could be considered political.

Yale is one of the highly competitive schools which has been under legal scrutiny of the way it selects students for admission. They and many if not most of the schools Olivia applied to want to be able to say that all students are selected without regard to their race/ethnicity. So, a student of color who's clearly at the top of the applicant heap makes that easier for them to claim. (Hence Bo's nudging Olivia to include certain buzzwords in her application.) I got no problem with kids taking of advantage of that in whatever way they can, including using social media and other PR to provoke a bunch of schools into competing with each other.

If kids doing widespread applications is a problem for the schools I guess the colleges/universities could try to impose limits but I'm not sure how they'd enforce them without creating some kind of lottery system. And even then they'd probably still be getting sued for someone's interpretation of "unfairness".

It sounds strange that colleges/universities would compete for anyone who isn’t truly extraordinary, assuming we aren’t talking about athletes, just “regular “ students. They get so many more applications than open spots, even considering those who are in  “desirable” demographics, that they are not in danger of having a less than full class with diverse members. Money, of course, can make any student more desirable. My thought watching this episode was that applying to a school you don’t already want to go to (even if it is a long shot) seems kind of wasteful when there are many other people who consider that school their first choice. But this is TV.

• Love 1

Black-ish      S08.E07: Sneakers by the Dozen 

Dre spirals after finding out his white co-worker Griffin (Reid Scott) has a better sneaker collection than him. Meanwhile, Bow lets Diane take a day off from school against Pops’ advice.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, Feb. 15, 2022   (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
160550_7734.jpg
160550_1191.jpg
160550_1015.jpg

I cannot find it in myself to care at all about anybody's sneaker collection. I realize it is something some people care about, but I don't get it. Are they going to do an episode about Bow's shoe collection? If they did, would we be expected to think anything about it was interesting? Maybe I just don't get the thrill of footwear.

Edited by possibilities
typos
  • Love 10

I found myself really enjoying it because it seems relatively low stakes and yet does touch on broader issues. 

Not that I think Dre was right to steal.  He still managed to come out as the jerk in this situation, especially when he made Junior, but not Jack, wear a blindfold and then Junior saying that's as close as Dre has ever gotten to telling him that he loved him to Jack's disbelief.

And it had some funny lines like suggesting Dre make up a holiday that white people don't know about yet to get out of work.

I didn't like Bow and Diane's plot as much.  I kind of wish Diane hadn't tried to violate the sanctuary.

• Love 3

"We heard you crying and singing along to air force one. It was really loud." 

The discussions about appropriation and Pop's thoughts on it were pretty good, but like with a lot of things with Dre, its hard to get on his side when he comes off less like he's upset about the misuse of his culture and is more just mad about not being the "shoe guy" anymore. He isnt wrong, he's just an asshole.  Also, holy shit I always forget how expensive nice sneakers are...

I have no idea why this show still finds Dre being a dick to Junior is so hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Ride-alongs in ambulances, omg. Actually, I could see it if Diane wanted to be an EMT or an emergency room nurse or doctor. Sure.

Sister with a hard "er."

Junior stuffs his shoes. Do people really do that? Seem to me it would eventually cause foot and joint damage.

$15k shoes? Not even if they were made of gold. I get the investment potential but that's probably because a few people hoard them and drive the price up. Basic economics but still, it just seems absurd to me.

Anthony has lost a noticeable amount of weight. Hope he's okay.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:23 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Telling Junior to trap himself a wife (with a baby) because she's going to be well-educated. Good grief, Earl and Ruby need to go somewhere and mind their own business. That might be their worst advice ever.

Agreed. I was appalled.

• Love 3

Black-ish      S08.E08: My Work Friend's Wedding

Charlie announces that he is marrying Vivica A. Fox and asks Dre to be his best man. Meanwhile, Diane’s ongoing feud with the groom costs her an invite to the wedding, but she attempts to sneak in anyway.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, Feb. 22, 2022   (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
161167_7478-900x0.jpg
161167_7503-900x0.jpg
161167_7090-900x0.jpg
161167_7447-900x0.jpg
161167_7554-900x0.jpg

S08.E09: And the Winner is... airs TUESDAY, Mar. 8, 2022   (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.

• Love 2

The pointless celebrity cameos continue. This show really has just become an excuse for the writers to meet famous people isn't it?

Dre realizing that Charlie is his best friend was pretty sweet though, and the Beat It dance was one of the more fun moments this show has done all season.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Bow's "Who's us ... what?" when Charlie said he was glad the dinner wasn't awkward made me laugh, as did the conversation between Vivica and Diane. Diane needs to hear "look here, little girl ..." more often.

Daveed Diggs is one of my celebrity crushes so I was glad to see him, but that was random. He wasn't there when his and Bow's father died, was he?

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3

It seems like Vivica has had a bit of work done on her face.

This show is stupid and pointless now lol. The ending dance scene did make me laugh tho lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2

It's the show's last season; I don't think they care about bumping up ratings. I'd guess that the actors/writers probably have friends they've wanted to bring on the show and decided to just go for it in the last season.

I kind of liked the silliness of this one.

• Love 9

"Mrs. Charley Telphy A. Fox." That's a mouthful.

Johan has put on some weight, I think. His face looked fuller.

Well the Starbucks product placement couldn't have been more awkward. Junior was pointedly holding the cup in a way to make sure the logo was visible. Nobody holds their coffee like that. 🙄

UO I guess but Beat It as your wedding dance song? No. Just no.

I have a feeling this entire season--if not the entire series--will turn out to be someone's dream. Maybe Devante's?

It seems like Vivica has had a bit of work done on her face.

Yeah, she's looked like that for a while now. But I saw her recently on a talk show and it appeared that she'd had the fillers in her cheeks removed. Shocked me for second because I had gotten used to her chipmunk face. 😼

• Love 1

Loved that every time someone was going to discuss the basis of Charlie and Diane's feud, they got interrupted.  We will never know.

And no Eustace .... Charlie was always forgetting him anyway...

Edited by meep.meep
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/6/2022 at 1:19 PM, LydiaMoon1 said:

or (most likely) DIANE will be the dictator of a developing country.

Yeah, I see her as president too.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:28 PM, tennisgurl said:

This show really has just become an excuse for the writers to meet famous people isn't it?

I kinda assume that the cameos are fans of the show and/or friends of Anthony or Tracy. They want to be on the show or are asked by their friend.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

UO I guess but Beat It as your wedding dance song? No. Just no.

Well, it wasn’t the official wedding dance song, as in the bride and groom’s first dance. It was just a dance at the reception; it’s better than the Macarena or god forbid, the chicken dance song. 

I think it’s funny how they continue the running gag of not telling the viewer why Diane and Charlie are feuding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It's the last season and basically their lap of honor, people have either stuck with it or they haven't. As long as it's funny to me I don't really care about the details. I guess after growing up with a steady diet Monty Python, the Goons, the Goodies, Michael Bentine's Potty Time and later Spitting Image ridiculousness is just normal.

• Love 3

Black-ish         S08.E09: And the Winner is...

Dre gets news that he’s been nominated for an Ad World Award but may have to miss an important family function if he attends. Meanwhile, Olivia returns from Yale to visit Junior who has a full day of L.A. fun planned for their visit.

Original Airdate: TUESDAY, Mar. 22, 2022  (9:30-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.
Isaiah Mustafa as Self
160629_7899.jpg
160629_1938.jpg
160629_1656.jpg
160630_2309.jpg

• Love 1

Poor Jr. Long distance relationships are hard. My parents did it for many years for months at a time  while he was in the Navy, particularly during the Vietnam War. They were married for 64 years until they passed, but a lot of Navy couples didn’t last

• Love 7
21 hours ago, DanaK said:

Poor Jr. Long distance relationships are hard. My parents did it for many years for months at a time  while he was in the Navy, particularly during the Vietnam War. They were married for 64 years until they passed, but a lot of Navy couples didn’t last

Yeah, I felt bad for him. It was nice that Pops was there for him.

• Love 6

I felt really bad for Junior, long distance relationships are rough. Its not impossible to make them work, but its really hard, especially when your so young. Glad that Pops was there, at least someone in their family cares about him.

Little Devonte is such a cutie. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed they didn't give Devonte any lines. He smiles, he plays the keyboard, but he doesn't make a peep himself. 

Maybe they don't want to pay him anymore than they have to?😆

• LOL 1

The actor who plays Devante seems like he kind of sucks. Lol sorry that’s harsh but the whole character of Devante is idiotic and waste of time. There’s no point to it.

Calking Dre a great father is kind of stretching it. He openly favours one son and is mean as hell to Junior. I’m pretty sure he forgets Devante exists a lot of the time.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Marley said:

The actor who plays Devante seems like he kind of sucks. Lol sorry that’s harsh but the whole character of Devante is idiotic and waste of time. There’s no point to it.

Devante is played by twins (August and Berlin Gross), so I guess you would have to say that they both suck. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1