Type keyword(s) to search

Buying books or borrowing from the library? Which do you prefer?

RealHousewife
  • Start Topic

Borrowing books from the library or buying them? Which do you prefer?   POLL OPEN

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are definitely some books I wish I borrowed because I spent good money on them and they kind of just sit there taking up space. But I love having a clean, brand-new book in my hands. It is also nice to be able to reread a book anytime if it ends up being a favorite. 

• Love 4

I don’t keep a lot of books once I’ve finished reading them so, for that reason, I prefer the library.  Plus, more library usage means more money for the library and I’m all for that.

However, if I read a book that I absolutely love from the library, I will buy a copy of it to add to my keeper shelf.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Library.  I'm a procrastinator.  If I don't have a deadline to read a book, the odds greatly decrease that I'll actually read the book.  I've probably only read 10% of the books I own. 

That doesn't mean I finish everything I borrow from the library either but at least I know if I haven't gotten into it by the time I have to return it, I probably won't get into it enough to finish.  Or I'll know if I want to get it back.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Borrow.  I typically borrow ebooks/audiobooks, very rarely physical books anymore.  I have library cards in three different library systems so my choice is pretty darned expansive.

If I love it, I'll buy a copy to keep and re-read. 

I do exclusively buy graphic novels in physical form, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Plus, more library usage means more money for the library and I’m all for that.

YES!! Libraries have so many great programs, we need to keep funding them and library usage helps. I generally go to the library, but will purchase the book if I fall love with the story. (Libraries are also great so I can rewatch documentaries like History of Britain, or Ken Burns.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I don’t keep a lot of books once I’ve finished reading them so, for that reason, I prefer the library.  Plus, more library usage means more money for the library and I’m all for that.

However, if I read a book that I absolutely love from the library, I will buy a copy of it to add to my keeper shelf.

This. And also I buy poetry and books in Spanish so I can write in them and take my time getting through and I also buy a lot of comics/graphic novels although some  I'll just read as ebooks via the library on my phone...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I used to read a lot of books from library and would buy mostly books that I expected to want to reread or that I couldn't find in the library. But after starting to work full-time, I switched to mostly buying, as I have more money and less time. I used to be able to read 4-5 books from library each month when I was going to school, but now I rarely finish a book in a month, as I prioritize TV over books, so I would have to keep extending them. 

Also, my OCD/germaphobia/whatever it is is getting stronger and I don't want to touch books that other people already read anymore. Especially after I heard someone say that they read books when on the toilet. What kind of psycho does that?! It made me paranoid about library books, I tell you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Public library all the way. Mostly e-books and audio books. I've got four Houston-area library cards, so the digital media selection I have available to me is just amazing. I've always loved and appreciated libraries so much, but Overdrive and Axis 360 have been a real game-changer for me -- especially during the onset of the pandemic when going to the library wasn't an option anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Library because I’ve known for a while we’ll be moving to another state and I didn’t want to transport a whole lotta books. If I want to reread any favorites after moving I may start buying them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Buying. 

If I had a library book I'd be worried about losing it if I brought it with me on my commute and that's when I get most of my reading done.

Plus, I don't always know what book I'm going to be in the mood for reading.  With a library book, I'd have to read the books in a specified period of time before returning it.  With a book that I own, I can choose when I want to read that particular book.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I buy, but always used (mostly on eBay) and everything gets passed on to a group of my fellow food pantry workers that share my taste for murder mysteries. We used to have a free little lending library at the pantry before Covid but had to shut it down as people must stay in the cars now and we bring the groceries to them. I hope to revive that once this *hideousness* passes, and then can collect books again for that. Our local library system automatically renews anything you take out as often as you need (no overdue fines) but I'm too busy to get there more than once or twice a year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, isalicat said:

I buy, but always used (mostly on eBay) and everything gets passed on to a group of my fellow food pantry workers that share my taste for murder mysteries. We used to have a free little lending library at the pantry before Covid but had to shut it down as people must stay in the cars now and we bring the groceries to them. I hope to revive that once this *hideousness* passes, and then can collect books again for that. Our local library system automatically renews anything you take out as often as you need (no overdue fines) but I'm too busy to get there more than once or twice a year.

I loved ebay for book buying. So many series I was able to finish because I was able to find the book or books that I never got in my area. Its amazing how often that happened especially YA books from the 90s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My librarian salary does not afford buying all of the books I read every year nor does it afford a home large enough to fit all of those books.  So I go back and forth with reading my own books (both print and electronic) and using library books.  The best part of my job is getting to order all the new library books again both print and electronic.  I really do not have to spend my own money buying all the books I personally want to read, but I take my responsibilities seriously and limit my spending.  I have found though that the books I order for the library for myself do have a tendency to be checked out by the patrons, so I am justified with buying them.  My book purchases end up being the books I cannot justify using library funds to purchase or books I need to personally own.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, isalicat said:

I buy, but always used (mostly on eBay)

16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved ebay for book buying. 

Do you remember Half.com? I loved that site, I used to buy all my used books there, I don't know why eBay shut it down.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Just a continuation of my original post.  If my library system does not carry a book because it is an older title, I can usually find a cheap paperback copy on abe.com or alibris.com.  Usually comes to $5 per paperback.

All libraries should be able to Interlibrary Loan (ILL) any older book they don't own from another library. Most libraries have a procedure to recommend new books they don't own for purchase (that doesn't automatically mean they'll purchase it, but they'll definitely consider it).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

All libraries should be able to Interlibrary Loan (ILL) any older book they don't own from another library. Most libraries have a procedure to recommend new books they don't own for purchase (that doesn't automatically mean they'll purchase it, but they'll definitely consider it).

Yes, my library has access to libraries in over 30 different towns, however if one is looking for a mystery originally published in the 30s, sometimes one is shit out of luck!

• Useful 2

I was a poor kid who grew up in a house without books, so my love for public libraries is deep and abiding. But now that I'm older and mostly settled, I finally have a whole room in my house to be my book room (thank you, Jane Austen for that). This has kicked my already existing book hoarding tendencies into overdrive. I actually do read most of the books I buy, even if it sometimes takes me a year or two to get into the right headspace for some of them. I also enjoy being able to randomly reread or underline or write in them as I see fit, and I really don't like feeling pressured to finish by a return by date. Even my county library system's very user friendly online renewal option makes me feel pressured and antsy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I  think libraries are the greatest example of the freedoms we have in the U.S.  I've got instructions in my estate plan that when I die, my obituary should ask for contributions to a public library in lieu of flowers.  I love hanging out in a library, browsing through the non-fiction shelves and checking out the latest fiction offerings.  It was my favorite hangout when I was a kid.  Libraries are a great resource for families who don't have a lot of money.  Not just books - you can get movies, music, magazines, go to story hours, access the Internet, read the newspaper, and much more.  My local library does book clubs for adults, crafting classes, dungeons and dragons for teens, yoga for toddlers classes, art classes, just to name a few of the available activities.

However, there are some books I buy.  I occasionally buy non-fiction because my need to work to put a roof over my head doesn't give me the time to read a long book, especially now that my public library only gives 2 weeks for a new non-fiction book.  It used to be 4 weeks.  Plus I have some favorite authors that I enjoy re-reading, so I will buy those books.  And any baby gift I give always includes some books.  

Support your local library if you can.  And NEVER read a book from a library while smoking or eating greasy food.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

I  think libraries are the greatest example of the freedoms we have in the U.S.  I've got instructions in my estate plan that when I die, my obituary should ask for contributions to a public library in lieu of flowers.

That's a great idea!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

True.  But if you can buy an older book for $5 and you can afford it, I'd go for that in lieu of an interlibrary loan because shipping costs alone are going to cost the library system if the book is heavy enough.

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Yes, my library has access to libraries in over 30 different towns, however if one is looking for a mystery originally published in the 30s, sometimes one is shit out of luck!

Sometimes but you should ask if they are willing to go beyond those 30 libraries--even offer to pay if there's a cost.  There are systems for libraries to get books from other libraries from anywhere in the world. 

• Love 3
On 12/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, andromeda331 said:

I loved ebay for book buying. So many series I was able to finish because I was able to find the book or books that I never got in my area. Its amazing how often that happened especially YA books from the 90s.

It is especially useful when you discover an author like 8 books into a wonderful series (as has happened to me many times) so want to go back and read them all from the beginning. There are so many incredible murder mystery writers now that deserve to be read "from the beginning" (as their books do stand alone, but the character development from book to book is also not worth missing. Of course, in my opinion, Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series is the n'est plus ultra in that regard, but in more recent times Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole and the Tanya French Dublin Murder Squad books are also exceptional. Its pretty much impossible to be a completist with my library system, even if you are exceptionally patient on waiting for a book to be sent from another branch, so if I can buy a book with free shipping for $4-5 and then know others will enjoy it after me that is money well spent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

If I could easily afford, I'd stick to buying (for several of the reasons listed above). However, since I can't , I'm lucky that I have a library that is a 5 minute walk away, so it's no big deal to just run over. There are certain books (favorite authors where I know I will reread the books) that I will splurge on, though.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But if you can buy an older book for $5 and you can afford it, I'd go for that in lieu of an interlibrary loan because shipping costs alone are going to cost the library system if the book is heavy enough.

Shipping costs?  The interlibrary system consists of a senior citizen, a car, and some milk crates.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Shipping costs?  The interlibrary system consists of a senior citizen, a car, and some milk crates.

True interlibrary loan is what was described above--a system where libraries can find books from any other libraries in the US and share them.  Not just the sharing among a network of local library branches that form one system.  There's a postage cost (at book rate, I guess), but it's a service that has always been available.  Probably less needed now that there's availability of electronic books. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

My bad.  I had no idea that kind of system existed.

No bad.  I'm glad to be able to pass on this information.  I learned about it many years ago.  When I was in law school, the librarian ordered some unusual books for me from other libraries. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1

My mom's internet connection was 30 years old, which was fine for emailing and browsing, but not nearly strong enough for modern WFH needs, so when I was visiting this summer, I spent a lot of time at the library for its Wi-Fi. For a smallish city, it's got excellent services, and after my mom died, they printed a copy of her eulogy for free, which I thought was so nice. In memory of my mom, who used the library regularly, I made a donation, and am also considering putting it in my will. The NYPL will be fine; it's the smaller library systems around the country that need the most help, I think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Calvada said:

I  think libraries are the greatest example of the freedoms we have in the U.S.  I've got instructions in my estate plan that when I die, my obituary should ask for contributions to a public library in lieu of flowers.  I love hanging out in a library, browsing through the non-fiction shelves and checking out the latest fiction offerings.  It was my favorite hangout when I was a kid.  Libraries are a great resource for families who don't have a lot of money.  Not just books - you can get movies, music, magazines, go to story hours, access the Internet, read the newspaper, and much more.  My local library does book clubs for adults, crafting classes, dungeons and dragons for teens, yoga for toddlers classes, art classes, just to name a few of the available activities.

However, there are some books I buy.  I occasionally buy non-fiction because my need to work to put a roof over my head doesn't give me the time to read a long book, especially now that my public library only gives 2 weeks for a new non-fiction book.  It used to be 4 weeks.  Plus I have some favorite authors that I enjoy re-reading, so I will buy those books.  And any baby gift I give always includes some books.  

Support your local library if you can.  And NEVER read a book from a library while smoking or eating greasy food.

I wish I could like this post a thousand times!  I also lived in the local library when I was a kid, and I'm still an enthusiastic user.  I do a combination of buying and borrowing, as that is the topic of this thread.  I can usually download ebooks for immediate reading if they're not the latest best sellers for which there is a wait. 

• Useful 2

I have a huge soft spot for libraries.  And whenever any referendum comes up on the ballot to allocate them more money, I always vote yes. 

My first and only job throughout high school (8th through 12th grade) was at the my local library.  I worked several branches around my town and always had books at my fingertips. 

My very first workstudy job in college was at the Interllibrary loan office in the University library.  I then worked in the Archive/Special Collections my sophomore year (tons of priceless stuff gifted to the college from alums and family of alums after their deaths -- I got to hold an actual Oscar!) but the Archives were boring as hell on a day-to-day basis.  So I went back to ILL where the action was (ok 'action' is maybe a strong word for ILL but it was better than the Archives).

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I have a huge soft spot for libraries.  And whenever any referendum comes up on the ballot to allocate them more money, I always vote yes. 

My first and only job throughout high school (8th through 12th grade) was at the my local library.  I worked several branches around my town and always had books at my fingertips. 

My very first workstudy job in college was at the Interllibrary loan office in the University library.  I then worked in the Archive/Special Collections my sophomore year (tons of priceless stuff gifted to the college from alums and family of alums after their deaths -- I got to hold an actual Oscar!) but the Archives were boring as hell on a day-to-day basis.  So I went back to ILL where the action was (ok 'action' is maybe a strong word for ILL but it was better than the Archives).

I worked in the college library too!   Nothing as exciting.  I sometimes had to shelve books and file new catalog cards! (olden times).  Other times I could just sit at the desk and check out books.  It was fun to use the ka-ching time stamper for reserve items.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4

My library system actually has an option where you can request a book to be mailed to your home free of charge. It doesn't cover the cost if you choose to mail it back, but you can always drop it off in a book drop outside the library if you don't want to go inside. I assume this became an option due to covid precautions last year. (I moved here this past summer, so I'm coming from a city and state where libraries were just plain closed till a few weeks before I left.) Aside from covid, I think that's a great option for people who have mobility issues:)

I tried it once, just out of curiosity! But as I said, I really don't mind the 5 minute walk there and back. The library itself is small and doesn't have a great selection, but they have a very efficient interlibrary loan system set up. So, except for new books, most requests get sent through in a day or two.

ETA: when I moved, getting a new library card was one of my priorities to take care of right away! As a matter of fact, I got a temporary one, to tide me over until I was able to change my driver's license which was required as proof of residence!

Just now, Starleigh said:

Edited by Starleigh
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Not all libraries do interlibrary loan.  It depends on the library and its community.  Where I work, we discontinued the service due to lack of patron requests and the cost.  We averaged maybe one true ILL request every 3 months while receiving 10 times the requests to send stuff out.  The cost added up and the cost benefit analysis said to discontinue.  The system was not set up for us to be reimbursed for the postage and materials for sending out items.  And if the book was lost, we were out while the requesting library would then get the money once the patron paid.  The risks outweighed the reward.  

For purchase suggestions, I do try to make it work.  There are always going to be a handful of books requested every year that we cannot get or will not order.  Usually the latter are self-published works requested by the author because you wrote the book and are never going to check it out.  Ultimately, we care about the number of times a book checks out.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

My mom's internet connection was 30 years old, which was fine for emailing and browsing, but not nearly strong enough for modern WFH needs, so when I was visiting this summer, I spent a lot of time at the library for its Wi-Fi. For a smallish city, it's got excellent services, and after my mom died, they printed a copy of her eulogy for free, which I thought was so nice. In memory of my mom, who used the library regularly, I made a donation, and am also considering putting it in my will. The NYPL will be fine; it's the smaller library systems around the country that need the most help, I think.

The NYPL is always claiming their funding is being slashed.  Which is why when I win the lottery I plan on giving them money.

• Love 3
On 12/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, DearEvette said:

Borrow.  I typically borrow ebooks/audiobooks, very rarely physical books anymore.  I have library cards in three different library systems so my choice is pretty darned expansive.

If I love it, I'll buy a copy to keep and re-read. 

I do exclusively buy graphic novels in physical form, though. 

I have e-book accounts with eight different library systems. Covers a lot of the state. I already had two physical cards from different systems (one in my city just outside Boston, which is a different system from Boston's, where I worked and attended grad school) when e-readers first came out and thanks to neuromuscular and visual issues, I, an avid reader who taught myself to read before I turned three, could barely read anymore, but e-readers (not tablets or phones, too much glare) gave me back reading. I was a very early adopter. So early, there wasn't a huge selection yet, so I got two more system's cards. And then after about a decade, eight systems started opening accounts up to card holders from the other libraries so I have eight accounts. Now, it's rare I can't find a book I want. 

I still give books as gifts (even more since a friend bought an indie bookstore and I found a local bookstore that exists to empower and help kids who are/were in the foster care system, who work there and run it, and they both ship!), buy them for schools and programs looking for donations, etc, but for me, it's all e-book borrowing. I've been in the hospital twice for month-long stretches. Wow, did it help to be able to check books out from my hospital bed, especially since between the meds and the chaos of the hospital, it took a lot of tries to find a book to hold my interest. 

So both. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, partofme said:

The NYPL is always claiming their funding is being slashed. 

I'm sure it is, but the library is a prestigious place to donate a chunk of change, so I'm sure some rich person will step up. Too many smaller library systems don't have that kind of potential (or actual) support.

• Love 1

I worked in my local public library when I was in school.  One job I and the other student worker had was to shelf read - go through and make sure the books were in order in each section.  People do tend to put books back in the wrong place.  That was a great way to find things to read.  And decades later, when I"m in a library, I will put books in the right spot when I find them shelved incorrectly.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6