Type keyword(s) to search

Buying books or borrowing from the library? Which do you prefer?

RealHousewife
  • Start Topic

Borrowing books from the library or buying them? Which do you prefer?   POLL OPEN

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My system has an interesting situation where we receive money from multiple local government entities 3 different cities plus the county.  I say interesting because we are in the South and local southern politics can be fun at times.  

This is the biggest reason I now work in a hospital library.  I didn't get into library work to play "justify your existence" every year, especially in my library where we were being funded in large part by two different municipalities (who never agreed on anything, least of all the recreation and library budgets they shared).  It was exhausting.  Now I get to go to the local library with a light heart instead of a feeling of impending doom!

• Love 4

At my library, I think the limit is five grown-up books, but the limit is higher on kids' books, especially board books and picture books.  No idea what it is, since I'm on chapter books now.  😉

Different books have different check out time limits, too.  New fiction is two weeks, new non-fiction is three weeks.  Older fiction from the stacks is three weeks.  Anything from the young adult section (new or old) is three weeks.  Again, no idea about children's books, but I would guess three weeks.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, blackwing said:

Five books?!?!?  I'd definitely be writing a letter to the library board about that.  Five books is pretty much nothing.  Especially children's picture books.  I remember checking out 25 books every time I went with the kids.  

Well, I only started going there in elementary school, so I have no idea if there is a different limit on picture books, as I was way past that. At that time, I would read them all before the 1 month limit, but I would just visit again and get new books, it didn't bother me at all. I started the habit of reading more than 1 book at the same time, but never more than 2 or 3, so I see no problem with it. Does anyone read more than 5 books at the same time?

Although I have quite a number of full bookcases, these days, I prefer to go to the library to borrow books. And during lockdowns, I made extensive use of my library's e-library. However, I do buy Kindle books, mostly of the self-published variety, because I have a fondness for stories not likely to be published by a traditional publisher (also, I don't want to spend more than $2.99 for an e-book). 

I am struggling!

I  have a four day weekend coming up with an empty, quiet house and the latest Cormoran Strike book just came out.  I am too far back in line to get it from the library this weekend but I could get it by Thursday from Amazon.

But it's JK Rowlings.  And I protest her TERF leanings.  o while I can't quite quit the series, I vowed I'd never throw my money at her writing.

I want it this weekend but I don't want to give her money (even though I do give her money by consuming her books/the TV show but I try to minimize it.)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I am struggling!

I  have a four day weekend coming up with an empty, quiet house and the latest Cormoran Strike book just came out.  I am too far back in line to get it from the library this weekend but I could get it by Thursday from Amazon.

But it's JK Rowlings.  And I protest her TERF leanings.  o while I can't quite quit the series, I vowed I'd never throw my money at her writing.

I want it this weekend but I don't want to give her money (even though I do give her money by consuming her books/the TV show but I try to minimize it.)

Please don't give that TERF any money for this book.  Have you checked out the plot summary for this one?  I have, and there is no way I could even hate read a library copy of it--

Spoiler

the victim is modeled after Jo and all the "hate" she has received over her GC views plays into the story.  I highly doubt Jo has it in her for this to be a red herring.  The murderer is gong to be some Trans "activist."

• Mind Blown 1
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Have you checked out the plot summary for this one?  I have, and there is no way I could even hate read a library copy of it--

You're right. I should wait.

But as for the spoiler bit, there was a similar outcry about an element of her previous book (or the one before it?  I can't remember) and it was the focus of think pieces and reviews.  But as part of the actual book?  It was so far in the background.  Even knowing her abhorrent views, I don't think I would've noticed if it hadn't been for those writeups.

So I still plan to at least attempt to read it until I feel like there's too much mixing.

19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But as for the spoiler bit, there was a similar outcry about an element of her previous book (or the one before it?  I can't remember) and it was the focus of think pieces and reviews.  But as part of the actual book?  It was so far in the background.  Even knowing her abhorrent views, I don't think I would've noticed if it hadn't been for those writeups.

So I still plan to at least attempt to read it until I feel like there's too much mixing.

I am curious to find out if Jo really does follow through on the premise of my spoiler, but the negative reviews so far are devoid of spoilers.  That being said, the one-star reviews on Amazon are intriguing.  It appears Jo got cute with the formatting and many people are upset by it.  So people who would have left good reviews maybe even 5 star reviews are less than pleased.  

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am curious to find out if Jo really does follow through on the premise of my spoiler, but the negative reviews so far are devoid of spoilers.  That being said, the one-star reviews on Amazon are intriguing.  It appears Jo got cute with the formatting and many people are upset by it.  So people who would have left good reviews maybe even 5 star reviews are less than pleased.  

Yeah.  Apparently, it's mostly affecting the Kindle version.  No way in heck would I tackle a 1000 page book in ebook form. 

31 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  Apparently, it's mostly affecting the Kindle version.  No way in heck would I tackle a 1000 page book in ebook form. 

And I'm the opposite.  I prefer to read longer books as ebooks.  When I'm reading a book, I want to read it everywhere and those 1000 page books get a bit heavy in my bag.  

I've been spoiled by ebooks and their adjustable type on my Kindle or computer screen, but buying  them can get expensive  I don't like time limits, and my local library sucks anyway, so I have to limit myself to a budget per-month.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2022 at 1:57 PM, Irlandesa said:

8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I’m actually reading the book right now. I am 144 pages in and so far nothing like what is being talked about is presented. Granted, there is still a lot of story left, but it has already shown quite a bit of the online chatter about her(which is what I’m guessing the Amazon reviews are mentioning and it is a bit messy the way it’s formatted) and 

Spoiler

Nothing has been mentioned about any transphobic behavior on part of the victim.  They mentioning believing she is lying about about how she got her start, conflict with the person who originally animated the web cartoon, and just typically hateful conspiracy-filled stuff you see on the internet. To the books credit it hits close to home how realistic the things being said resemble what one sees on Twitter and in comment sections. 

I think if anything is dealing with transphobic behavior, it will be in the background, or a possible red herring.

• Like 1

I borrowed two books from the library, this week, because the online version of one, would have taken months to get to me, and the library had them right there. Thistlefoot was the one. The bookstores were all sold out, and I didn't want to throw something else on the amazon card, but the library had the book right there. 

I also just prefer reading the actual books, but the fast-paced ones, I can handle on the kindle, on my phone or ipad. I can't afford to buy many books, so the library is better for me.

Edited by Anela
On 12/19/2021 at 8:07 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Also, my OCD/germaphobia/whatever it is is getting stronger and I don't want to touch books that other people already read anymore. Especially after I heard someone say that they read books when on the toilet. What kind of psycho does that?! It made me paranoid about library books, I tell you.

I'm like you, but Instarted using the library before COVID snd doubled down during lockdown. Libraries are so.vital to any community but I always wonder who had the book before me. So during lockdown I began wiping down library books as soon as they come into my home. Just use an alcohol wipe on outside/inside covers, page edges, etc. 

I Dave so much money by not buying books but if I really love something after reading it I may buy it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gingerella said:

I'm like you, but Instarted using the library before COVID snd doubled down during lockdown. Libraries are so.vital to any community but I always wonder who had the book before me. So during lockdown I began wiping down library books as soon as they come into my home. Just use an alcohol wipe on outside/inside covers, page edges, etc. 

I Dave so much money by not buying books but if I really love something after reading it I may buy it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-questions-library-asthma-1.5570160

Salient quote:

Can books carry viruses?

"The virus on a book should be completely inactive after 24 hours," Furness said. Coronaviruses are most commonly spread via respiratory droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or by close, prolonged personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands.May 15, 2020

Support your local library!

On 1/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, gingerella said:

On 1/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, isalicat said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-questions-library-asthma-1.5570160

Salient quote:

Can books carry viruses?

"The virus on a book should be completely inactive after 24 hours," Furness said. Coronaviruses are most commonly spread via respiratory droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or by close, prolonged personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands.May 15, 2020

Support your local library!

Yep, I agree that the coronavirus and any other viruses shouldn't be an issue after a few days.  Like many or most other local libraries, mine was closed for about three months starting from March 2020.  Then in the summer the building remained closed and they started the drive-up services, where you would reserve books and they'd put them in a bag with your name on it outside on a table.

After items were returned, the library was quarantining all items for a week before putting them back into circulation, which seemed a bit excessive.  But that was the same period of time when many people were wiping down groceries with antibacterial wipes, so I guess it was the unknown.

All that said... as I said upthread, I always assume every single library book has been enjoyed by the previous patron while on the toilet, so I just accept that I never know what pages have been turned mid-wipe.  That's why even before COVID, I always lysol wiped the front and back covers, the inside covers, the edges of the pages, as soon as I got home.

One of the great advances to my local library that COVID brought is the self-checkout.  Again, something born out of a fear that they didn't want the librarians handling the book that you just touched and gave to them to check out and then they would then give it right back to you, possibly with added germs.  So they have packages of lysol wipes at every single self-checkout machine.  I'm not sure if the idea is that patrons are supposed to wipe down the machine after they use it and touch the screen.  But I use these wipes to wipe down all the books right there.  I've gotten some looks from the librarians and other patrons.  One time a guy asked me what I was doing.  I told him that I always assume that every library book has been enjoyed in the comfort of the previous reader's toilet while mid-dump.  He gave me a "you're crazy" look.  Yet as I was walking away, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him pulling a lysol wipe out of the package.

Germaphobes UNITE!

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

All that said... as I said upthread, I always assume every single library book has been enjoyed by the previous patron while on the toilet, so I just accept that I never know what pages have been turned mid-wipe.  That's why even before COVID, I always lysol wiped the front and back covers, the inside covers, the edges of the pages, as soon as I got home.

I feel seen, thank you!

And to clarify, my original book wipe down comment had nothing to do with Covid. When I stroll around my local library and see who hangs out there, sanitizing books xoming into my home seems like a reasonable course of action.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I feel seen, thank you!

And to clarify, my original book wipe down comment had nothing to do with Covid. When I stroll around my local library and see who hangs out there, sanitizing books xoming into my home seems like a reasonable course of action.

Many libraries do attempt to sanitize their collections and did so well before Covid 19.  We know how dirty some people's homes are and kids are walking petri dishes who will put anything in their mouths.  That being said, please be careful with the books while sanitizing.  Hardback books with mylar-covered dust jackets can hand being wiped down with a Lysol wipe or equivalent, so can board books, paperbacks OTOH not so much.  Patch testing is important.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

One of the great advances to my local library that COVID brought is the self-checkout.  Again, something born out of a fear that they didn't want the librarians handling the book that you just touched and gave to them to check out and then they would then give it right back to you, possibly with added germs.  So they have packages of lysol wipes at every single self-checkout machine.  I'm not sure if the idea is that patrons are supposed to wipe down the machine after they use it and touch the screen.  But I use these wipes to wipe down all the books right there.  I've gotten some looks from the librarians and other patrons.  One time a guy asked me what I was doing.  I told him that I always assume that every library book has been enjoyed in the comfort of the previous reader's toilet while mid-dump.  He gave me a "you're crazy" look.  Yet as I was walking away, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him pulling a lysol wipe out of the package.

We're only giving you the look because we want to make sure your sanitizing is not going to harm the books, and counting how many wipes you are using.  Those wipes get expensive very quickly, and we have limited budgets for supplies.  

• Like 4
On 1/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, gingerella said:

I use several wipes on every book I buy, even when I buy online to avoid buying books that people read in the bookstore.

• Like 2
On 1/23/2023 at 1:30 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Many libraries do attempt to sanitize their collections and did so well before Covid 19.  We know how dirty some people's homes are and kids are walking petri dishes who will put anything in their mouths.  That being said, please be careful with the books while sanitizing.  Hardback books with mylar-covered dust jackets can hand being wiped down with a Lysol wipe or equivalent, so can board books, paperbacks OTOH not so much.  Patch testing is important.

We're only giving you the look because we want to make sure your sanitizing is not going to harm the books, and counting how many wipes you are using.  Those wipes get expensive very quickly, and we have limited budgets for supplies.  

I finally got around to talking to someone at my library... he said they don't sanitize books.  To minimize handling of returned books, during COVID the library installed an automatic book sorter.  When books are returned to the return slot, they go onto a conveyor belt, there is a scanner that checks them in, then as they travel down the conveyor belt, based on the RFID code, the computer knows when to push the book into a particular wheeled bin.  The bins are sorted by department (fiction, nonfiction, childrens, DVD/bluray, music cds, etc).  They installed this big picture window so patrons can see the machine at work.

After that, he got a little vague.  The books may or may not sit in the bins until the bins get full.  Or they at least sit overnight until whenever who is responsible for reshelving puts the books back on the shelves.  It doesn't seem like there is any sanitizing done unless someone notices some obvious matter  (like sticky food stuff) on the book while they are reshelving.

I mentioned the wipes I noticed by the self-checkout.  He said they are there for us to wipe the machine as well as the books, if we so choose.  He said as long as we are not soaking the covers, inside covers, edges and pages, that a "light wipe" wouldn't damage the books to the degree where there would be a concern.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:12 AM, blackwing said:

After that, he got a little vague.  The books may or may not sit in the bins until the bins get full.  Or they at least sit overnight until whenever who is responsible for reshelving puts the books back on the shelves.  It doesn't seem like there is any sanitizing done unless someone notices some obvious matter  (like sticky food stuff) on the book while they are reshelving.

Speaking as someone who used to work in a library, it is "the norm" for books to sit for at least a day after being checked in and before being reshelved.  Shelving books actually takes a fair amount of time, so the carts usually only go out once they are full and it is usually done by volunteers and lower level library assistants, which means the labor available to reshelve is variable.

Viruses/germies/ickies don't live that long on a surface, so as a patron you are fine getting books from the shelves.  The "quarantine" period that many libraries instituted in 2020/2021 was to protect the Library staff who would be handling books before they were reshelved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I would love to be a book buyer, but my budget and my love for reading dictates being a patron at my local library.  I'm lucky in the respect that my library is part of a vast multi-county wide lending system.  I just have to look up my title, click request and it's usually available for pickup at my library within 3 days.  I've never had a problem getting a title.  I generally take out 4 titles a month, that is 2 every 2 weeks.  This was my habit pre-Covid, during Covid and post-Covid.  My library  was a lifesaver and sanity-keeper during Covid.

• Like 3