Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Things We Keep Inside

• Start Topic

Rome and Regina finally reunite after months apart only to find that things feel off. Maggie does some research as her stalker situation intensifies, while Sophie plays Eddie a song she wrote. Gary helps an old friend.

Original airdate 12/1/21

Why are they talking like this dead guy is actually the one sending her stuff?

Does Liam have a key to Gary's apartment? Why?

Rome's awfully defensive, isn't he?

Hey, Eddie remembers he has another kid!

Why are you surprised they cut off the call, Maggie?

Please no more cheating stories.

Do music schools really tell you their decision immediately after your audition?

As someone with depression, I have mixed feelings about depression stories. I guess we'll see how they handle it. Don't have high hopes for this show.

Oh, boy, we have to wait until February to find out Theo's reaction to Kathryn dating? ...I'm okay with that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

So, first, why is the winter break almost 3 months long? The other shows are coming back mid-January. Why is it going to be nearly March before AMLT comes back?

Bizarre episode.

I mean, when Eddie is the person who is giving sane, rational relationship advice, it's a bizarre episode. I like this side of Eddie. But, still, weird.

Not surprised that Sophie's dream is no longer this school. But, couldn't she study at the school and still do the band? I mean, she apparently got into a very prestigious school--she might as well go and learn something about music and performing.

I mean, I'm equating it to Juilliard. If you get into Juilliard, you probably should go, because what they teach you might make you better, even if you have a movie deal.

Am I just completely out there in thinking that? But I laughed that Sophie's first inclination was not to tell her mother about it.

In one way, I was not expecting Rome's depression to be back, but in other way, so not surprised.

On one hand, I can understand why Maggie made the smart choice in having Gary go with her to confront her stalker. On the other hand, that was an all-around dumb decision--both confronting the stalker and to invite Gary. Dumb, dumb, dumb. But, of course, I was wondering how Maggie would screw up her relationship with Cam. And of course this is it.

• Love 10

After all that Sophie isn't even going to MMI? Seriously? Oh well, at least she has some friends her own age now. And she isn't moving to France, which I thought she was going to do after talking with Danny.

Maggie's producer is seriously the worst ever. She should have cut off that call long before the boss lady walked in and did it. 

I kind of liked Darcy's ex-husband. And I liked seeing Liam. He seems more like a 11-year-old kid than Theo.

I know depression is an important storyline to show, but I am not looking forward to it. I guess it is better than a cheating storyline though.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Not surprised that Sophie's dream is no longer this school. But, couldn't she study at the school and still do the band? I mean, she apparently got into a very prestigious school--she might as well go and learn something about music and performing.

I mean, I'm equating it to Juilliard. If you get into Juilliard, you probably should go, because what they teach you might make you better, even if you have a movie deal.

Am I just completely out there in thinking that? But I laughed that Sophie's first inclination was not to tell her mother about it.

I agree with you.  She could also meet a lot of other great musicians, as well as mentors and people with connections in the industry. 

• Love 7

It’s so good to finally see Danny. He has new hairstyle and he’s looking so big‼️

Re MMI audition, I guess Sophie just wanted to know whether she could do it, whether she could overcome her fear, after all that happened. It is so strange that Sophie is following Eddie’s footstep and Anna was the first person she wanted to share her good news with. Congratulations Delilah, you have been replaced! 🤣

Eddie’s conversation with Gina was meaningful. He’s not blaming Katherine etc, reflecting the character’s growth.

Rome’s depression is back. In reality, this makes sense because battling with depression is a journey. But storytelling wise, it feels redundant. TBH, what I want for the Howards is a baby, a more cheerful storyline, but TPTB has a different idea.

Liam and Gary’s goodbye scene, I cried! 😭 To me, this moment gave a better closure than Gary/Darcy’s goodbye scene ever did.

And as expected, Gary is pining for Maggie (again!) and their reunion is well underway… ugh!

Maggie Bloom is the dumbest psychologist in the TV universe. She keeps making worst decisions. And ohh, instead of borrowing Gary’s car, why can’t she call Eddie for a ride? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 13
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

After all that Sophie isn't even going to MMI? Seriously? Oh well, at least she has some friends her own age now. And she isn't moving to France, which I thought she was going to do after talking with Danny.

I'm about 99% certain that Nash has dealt with depression in his life, as the only things that have felt authentic throughout this series has been the depression stuff, the suicide stuff (Nash lost a close friend to suicide) and the living with disability stuff (Nash's dad is disabled). If it's outside of his precise lived experience, he's lost, and this MMI stuff is right alongside that area of his non-expertise where he just gets it laughably wrong over and over again. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Maggie's producer is seriously the worst ever. She should have cut off that call long before the boss lady walked in and did it. 

Seriously! "Okay, okay, let's not be too hasty, let's see where this is going."  😆

• Love 1
5 hours ago, historylover820 said:

On one hand, I can understand why Maggie made the smart choice in having Gary go with her to confront her stalker. On the other hand, that was an all-around dumb decision--both confronting the stalker and to invite Gary. Dumb, dumb, dumb. But, of course, I was wondering how Maggie would screw up her relationship with Cam. And of course this is it.

Other than Katherine and perhaps Danny and Sophie all these characters ever do is make bad decisions. Really Maggie? You go to confront a potentially dangerous stalker accompanied by an immature man-child with anger issues and virtually NO impulse control? Wow, and I thought Mr. Magoo was lucky.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Maggie Bloom is the dumbest psychologist in the TV universe. She keeps making worst decisions.

Maybe her client's mother has a point...

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She should have done it as soon as she said "that's what I told the call screener but that's not really why I'm calling." (Or at least taken it off the air.)

• Love 17

I was shocked at Maggie's insistence that she was just going to show up by herself at the home of an unstable person who is sending her threatening letters because doing that will somehow convince the unstable person they've been wrong all along.  That's really foolish and dangerous.  Is that the advice that Maggie gives her clients?  If so, she's really bad at her job.  And Cam and Gary seemed to kind of shrug their shoulders about it, rather than saying to her, "You don't know this person, you have no idea whether this is a safe thing to do.  Let's talk about how you can do this safely."

Cam has been too good to be true:  famous but grounded, handsome, wealthy, charming, kind, a great boyfriend.   There are two different ways that the show could have been going with him.  I thought that Cam was going to end up being the stalker, but the caller seems to be pretty clearly the stalker.  So I am sad to say that I think they are going the other way, which is that eventually Maggie will confront him with tears in her eyes and say, "Cam, you are a great boyfriend and a great human being.  You are really perfect.  But...(sniffle)...you're not Gary."  Sigh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, mikem said:

So I am sad to say that I think they are going the other way, which is that eventually Maggie will confront him with tears in her eyes and say, "Cam, you are a great boyfriend and a great human being.  You are really perfect.  But...(sniffle)...you're not Gary."  Sigh.

Maybe his fans will start calling her show to yell at her for breaking his heart.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Maggie's unwillingness to defend her reputation was BONKERS. Since the station manager said that people might believe the mother, then that means that Maggie must not have assuaged that caller who wanted to know if the mother was correct, so what the hell must Maggie have said to him? Did she just stammer until a commercial break?

The station wanting her to take a break makes NO sense, either. Again, if it's outside his own lived experience, it's like Nash has never existed in the world and doesn't know how anything works.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, mikem said:

I was shocked at Maggie's insistence that she was just going to show up by herself at the home of an unstable person who is sending her threatening letters because doing that will somehow convince the unstable person they've been wrong all along.  That's really foolish and dangerous.  Is that the advice that Maggie gives her clients?  If so, she's really bad at her job.  And Cam and Gary seemed to kind of shrug their shoulders about it, rather than saying to her, "You don't know this person, you have no idea whether this is a safe thing to do.  Let's talk about how you can do this safely."

This is so utterly stupid, I can't believe it.  Is Maggie such an idiot that she is unaware that people commit murder?  Someone threatens her and she is such a brilliant therapist that she thinks she can "help" them.

And to add to the Maggie-stupid, she going to destroy the relationship with the boyfriend just after they've exchanged "I love yous."

• Love 10
13 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Am I just completely out there in thinking that?

Not at all, since you’re probably a mature adult. Do you remember being 18 years old? Obviously, she wants the performance high (and chance for fame) NOW! Also, the flashbacks she had on the stage, the fact that her teacher connection who encouraged her to re-audition moved on, and, finally, Anne’s admission that evil Peter ridiculed her performance dreams, probably all conspired in her 18 year old brain, convincing her to reject the school. 

Edit to add: Just read another post above, and I think the writers telegraphed so many reasons for Sophie to abandon her music school dreams, that it was obvious she’d fly off. She’ll undoubtedly regret it in future, but again, she’s 18…..

Edited by Daff
  • Love 3

Maggie running off to "help" her stalker is the stupidest choice Maggie's made since.. alright most choices Maggie makes are stupid. I fear for the people who call her for advice if this is the sort of thing she would tell them to do. "Oh, your being stalked? Well, go to the stalkers house and see if you can help them feel better! Make sure to go alone or with an unstable ex!" That was so stupid, right up there with the manager not cutting the call off the second the mom started going off, what is wrong with this radio station? I know I shouldn't be surprised that its a shit show, considering they hired Maggie to give people life advice, but good god how are they still on the air? I feel bad for Cam, he does seem like a great guy and he and Maggie just exchanged I Love You's but now she's off on a road trip with her ex boyfriend who we all know she is still pining over. 

I am really glad that Sophie still doesn't want to see Gary, I was worried she would forgive him in about an episode after the time jump. I can see why Sophie doesn't want to go to the fancy music school, especially at eighteen, but I think she is going to regret it. Even if she just wants to play in a rock band with her friends, a place like that can give her a ton of lessons on how to hone her craft and give her amazing connections all around the music world. Plus it just feels like we've been wasting our time with this story which has been going on for ages. I laughed more then I should at Sophie totally forgetting to tell her mom her big news, not too surprising that Sophie forgets about Delilah considering how much Delila forgets about her own kids. Her kid brother is a billion times more responsible then her flighty useless mom, which is a weirdly consistent part of the show. The kids are usually way more mature then any of the adults. Except for Theo, who is twelve going on five. 

Theo acting like a toddler as a pre-teen is even weirder when you see Liam and Danny, who are actually pretty believable as kids in around the same age group. Poor Liam, seeing him say goodbye to Gary was way sadder then Gary and Darcy breaking up, Liam got so attached to him and while his dad seems like an alright guy they are still clearly finding themselves again as a family, and that on top of a new baby is a lot for a kid. 

Rome got super defensive about the lawyer lady, if he had just laughed off her maybe having a crush on him Regina probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. I am glad that we aren't going for an affair, especially as the lawyer was pretty down for it, but I am not thrilled to go back down the depression path for Rome. I guess its better then Rome having an affair or him just whining about having to follow his legally binding contracts. I hope they handle it well. 

Eddie and Anna is still weird. Even though things are good with Sophie now, there is just too much weird baggage between them for a romantic relationship. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Maggie is the stupidest character I've seen in a long time. At this point I wouldn't trust her not to suffocate herself with a dry cleaning bag. Every decision she made in this episode was utterly boneheaded. From continuing to broadcast a clearly unstable person who was making threats to her obsession with thinking the she and only she can help this person to thinking that she should travel alone to see this person. It's absolute lunacy and a bad idea on every level: legal, professional, ethical, etc... I can't believe the show is trying to paint her behavior as something good. It's dysfunctional as hell. I mean everyone on this show is a codependent freak but Maggie is going for the gold.

As someone who has been living with depression for most of my adult life, I really understood when Rome talked about feeling nothing. That really rings true. I'm glad for the show demonstrating that depression can come back.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Daff said:

Not at all, since you’re probably a mature adult. Do you remember being 18 years old? Obviously, she wants the performance high (and chance for fame) NOW! Also, the flashbacks she had on the stage, the fact that her teacher connection who encouraged her to re-audition moved on, and, finally, Anne’s admission that evil Peter ridiculed her performance dreams, probably all conspired in her 18 year old brain, convincing her to reject the school. 

Edit to add: Just read another post above, and I think the writers telegraphed so many reasons for Sophie to abandon her music school dreams, that it was obvious she’d fly off. She’ll undoubtedly regret it in future, but again, she’s 18…..

When I was 18, I was going to be a professional actress and director, and I would have killed in order to get into a school like MMI. Or in the real world, Juilliard. I was never talented enough to even audition, but if I would have had the chance to audition, and if I would have been accepted, nothing on earth would have stopped me from going. At least to get connections to further what I thought would have been my career at the age of 18.

So, I think my objection still stands. I get being 18. Yes, I'm a mature adult now, and acting is not my dream job anymore. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Maggie Bloom is the dumbest psychologist in the TV universe. 

You don't watch New Amsterdam, do you? Iggy gives her some real competition for that title.

9 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Maggie's unwillingness to defend her reputation was BONKERS. Since the station manager said that people might believe the mother, then that means that Maggie must not have assuaged that caller who wanted to know if the mother was correct, so what the hell must Maggie have said to him? Did she just stammer until a commercial break?

The station wanting her to take a break makes NO sense, either. Again, if it's outside his own lived experience, it's like Nash has never existed in the world and doesn't know how anything works.

Also, the station manager said she should take a break because people will be doubting her. But then they said they are going to put pre-recorded stuff on instead. So what is the point of that? Just to avoid new phone calls of people asking her about it?

Also, Maggie planning to go find the stalker by herself is dumb, the woman could physically hurt her. And this woman is still grieving her son's death, and clearly does need help dealing with that. But Maggie is not the person to do that.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

You don't watch New Amsterdam, do you? Iggy gives her some real competition for that title.

🤣 🤣 🤣

Yeah, I gave up on NA several episodes ago but I think Iggy wins that one.

28 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I stopped watching NA last season, can’t stand Max and all his shenanigans. 😣

Maggie Bloom - dumbest psychologist

Iggy Frome - dumbest psychiatrist

😂😂😂

• Love 4

The more I think about it, the more appallingly stupid I find Maggie.  All the dumb things the other characters do are surpassed by Maggie.  Maggie wins the too-dumb-to-live championship.  What's more, she has some kind of heroine complex, thinking that she and she alone can help her stalker.  Her stalker does not want Maggie's help, she wants Maggie to suffer, maybe to die.

I would be surprised if anything realistic will happen, except the nice relationship Maggie has with Cam will probably be destroyed because these people just can't do the things that make sense.

Gary is all mopey and boxing up Darcy things and has a flashback of Maggie and suddenly he's over Darcy and is focused on Maggie again.  What the Everlasting Fuck!!!  The average gnat has a longer attention span.

The only thing keeping me watching this high speed train wreck is that the plots move along at a good pace and I still want to see what happens next.  In other words, what dumb-ass thing will they do next?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, the station manager said she should take a break because people will be doubting her. But then they said they are going to put pre-recorded stuff on instead. So what is the point of that? Just to avoid new phone calls of people asking her about it?

"People are doubting Maggie, so let's pull her from the air, THAT'LL get people to take her seriously!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, Maggie should win the Darwin Award. Of course, this trip is going to go awesome. The mother will cry, Maggie will hug her. Everything will be fine. Because Maggie is just so super, bestest psychologist evah (certainly not the stupidest and should be a perpetual nominee for that Darwin Award)

Back when this show started, I did like Maggie. Obviously not so much now. While I do admit that sometimes people with the most education seem to have the least common sense, rocks have more common sense than Maggie does.

• Love 12

I wouldn't have a problem with Maggie's behavior if the reason for it was that she is inexperienced as a therapist or psychologist, and acknowledged she is still learning.  Instead, the show keeps telling me how great she is.  But they keep showing her doing stupid things.

I guess I'm mad that she is going to see the mom with Gary.  I was enjoying her relationship with the football player, but I guess the writers felt it was time to mess with it already.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2021 at 11:24 PM, KaveDweller said:

I know depression is an important storyline to show, but I am not looking forward to it. I guess it is better than a cheating storyline

How does Maggie's producer even have a job? She should've been fired or demoted to something else. Can't remember what issues the previous host had with her but it might have been justified. 

Instead of telling Maggie to take a break maybe they should suspend or fire Maggie too. She got the radio job too easily after so many mistakes and the boss kept her over emotional and not professional reasons. How many people will be willing to give Maggie a chance after that radio call? Maggie isn't radio show therapist ready.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:46 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Eddie’s conversation with Gina was meaningful. He’s not blaming Katherine etc, reflecting the character’s growth.

And as expected, Gary is pining for Maggie (again!) and their reunion is well underway… ugh!

Maggie Bloom is the dumbest psychologist in the TV universe. She keeps making worst decisions. And ohh, instead of borrowing Gary’s car, why can’t she call Eddie for a ride? 🤷🏻‍♀️

As soon as I saw the flashback I knew they were going all in putting Gary back with Maggie. I don't think she intentionally meant to go alone to see stalker Mom. Maggie knows Gary has a hero complex. All she had to do is tell him what she wants to do, she needs his car and Gary will "convince" her he should come along.

I'm not surprised Sophie didn't go to MMI since it holds so much baggage and bad memories she is still dealing with but it was definitely a waste of the judges time and a missed opportunity of someone who wanted to go to that school.

If Theo is annoyed with Katherine dating, he better be annoyed with Eddie, too.

At least it's not cheating with Rome but sometimes I don't think they know what to do with Rome and Regina. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 10

Maggie going to see the mother of her former patient is a bad idea not because the woman is "unstable". I wouldn't call her that. She sent letters but didn't really threaten Maggie, did she? I can't remember. It is a bad idea because Maggie is not indispensable to everyone's life, as she thinks she is. She believes she can guide everyone so she will barge into a stranger's home to "listen". Annoying, to say the least.

I liked Sophie's music. Not her voice, and not so much the lyrics, but the music.

• Love 2

Maggie going to see the mother of her former patient is a bad idea not because the woman is "unstable". I wouldn't call her that. She sent letters but didn't really threaten Maggie, did she? I can't remember.

I wondered about them calling the mother a "stalker." Yes, harassing, but by letter. If threatening rather than just "I blame you," then tThe first move would be for law enforcement officers to visit the letter writer to tell her to knock it off. (Maggie obviously has some address for her, if not on the letters themselves.)

Cognitive dissonance last night watching The Connors after AMLT, as AMLT's "Peter" is Darlene's caring boyfriend on Connors.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Cognitive dissonance last night watching The Connors after AMLT, as AMLT's "Peter" is Darlene's caring boyfriend on Connors.

lol...same here. I keep having to block that out. I just try to focus on how dumb and/or naïve he is to get involved with the Conners. Maybe it was the head injury. He forgot who he was and ended up in Illinois. ;) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Maggie really is dumb as a pile of rocks, I truly fear for the people she gives advice to. "Hi, I'm calling from my car, I noticed a hitchhiker on the side of the road, he's wearing a hockey mask and carrying a machete. I would normally not pick him up, but I have been trying to be kinder to strangers lately, what should I do?" "He sounds lonely, you should definitely pick him up! Maybe drive to a deserted area so he has a safe place to open up to you!"

• LOL 13
11 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

How does Maggie's producer even have a job? She should've been fired or demoted to something else. Can't remember what issues the previous host had with her but it might have been justified. 

Instead of telling Maggie to take a break maybe they should suspend or fire Maggie too. She got the radio job too easily after so many mistakes and the boss kept her over emotional and not professional reasons. How many people will be willing to give Maggie a chance after that radio call? Maggie isn't radio show therapist ready.

As soon as I saw the flashback I knew they were going all in putting Gary back with Maggie. I don't think she intentionally meant to go alone to see stalker Mom. Maggie knows Gary has a hero complex. All she had to do is tell him what she wants to do, she needs his car and Gary will "convince" her he should come along.

I'm not surprised Sophie didn't go to MMI since it holds so much baggage and bad memories she is still dealing with but it was definitely a waste of the judges time and a missed opportunity of someone who wanted to go to that school.

If Theo is annoyed with Katherine dating, he better be annoyed with Eddie, too.

At least it's not cheating with Rome but sometimes I don't think they know what to do with Rome and Regina. 

Hopefully when Sophie drops out someone else will be reconsidered and get the chance they deserve and not waste their time being cool with a garage band, but actually learn something.

• Love 8
On 12/1/2021 at 11:10 PM, historylover820 said:

On one hand, I can understand why Maggie made the smart choice in having Gary go with her to confront her stalker. On the other hand, that was an all-around dumb decision--both confronting the stalker and to invite Gary. Dumb, dumb, dumb. 

Also dumb:  Gary just hopping into the car for a 6+ hour (one-way!) road trip without an overnight bag or even giving his big ol' sweet doggie a second thought.  I mean, I *suppose* Maggie and Gary could power through--drive 6+ hours there, have a quick convo with the very angry/definitely grieving/possibly disturbed mother (because, you know, that's not going to take more than what, 15 minutes, unless she pulls a weapon?), then hop in the car and drive the 6+ hours back--but WHAT ABOUT COLIN?!?!??  That Very Good Boi would explode by the time they got home.  FREE COLIN!

ETA:  6+ hour one-way drive calculation based on ITHACA, which is apparently a huge brainfart on my part...they were going to ALBANY, which is under 3 hours one-way.  Still a heck of a long time to be away without making some arrangements for your dog...GARY.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Maggie Bloom - dumbest psychologist

Iggy Frome - dumbest psychiatrist

😂😂😂

Everybody wins?

image.png

Edited by Lovecat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Eddie lives with Gary now, so Colin has someone to watch him. 

True.

"Hey, Eddie. I decided to go on a road trip with Maggie to confront her stalker. I should be back early tonight..... any chance you can take Colin for a walk? Tie his leash around your wheelchair and let him pull you! Wait.... why don't you think any of this is a good idea?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/2/2021 at 6:26 AM, mikem said:

Cam has been too good to be true:  famous but grounded, handsome, wealthy, charming, kind, a great boyfriend.   There are two different ways that the show could have been going with him.  I thought that Cam was going to end up being the stalker, but the caller seems to be pretty clearly the stalker.  So I am sad to say that I think they are going the other way, which is that eventually Maggie will confront him with tears in her eyes and say, "Cam, you are a great boyfriend and a great human being.  You are really perfect.  But...(sniffle)...you're not Gary."  Sigh.

I would hate that (though it's probably will happen) as he's my favorite character right now.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:54 PM, historylover820 said:

Back when this show started, I did like Maggie. Obviously not so much now. While I do admit that sometimes people with the most education seem to have the least common sense, rocks have more common sense than Maggie does.

Before I watched this episode I was thinking about how I never disliked Maggie...and then I watched it. Oh well. There's always Danny to root for. Even if we aren't going to see him regularly.

I did like that Rome's story went to depression rather than infidelity. Depression's tough, but a better story line. I'm not fond of cheating stories, and I like Rome and Regina as a couple.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
On 12/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, Lovecat said:

Gary just hopping into the car for a 6+ hour (one-way!) road trip

Boston to Albany is about 2 1/2 hours, one-way. I used to get from Boston to my parents' house north of Albany in three hours.

I did like that Rome's story went to depression rather than infidelity.

Thank goodness for this forum, because all I heard during that last scene was "I feel nothing." I thought he felt nothing for Regina when she returned, then wondered why they hugged.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Boston to Albany is about 2 1/2 hours, one-way. I used to get from Boston to my parents' house north of Albany in three hours.

They were going to Ithaca, no?  Or did I mis-hear?  If I had a senior moment, then yes, Albany is a more realistic day trip, but I'm pretty sure Maggie threw a bag in the back while Gary just hopped in the car.

2 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Maggie's great producer introduced the caller as from Albany.

I just looked up a recap, and you're absolutely right.  No idea where I got Ithaca from!  So my geography's fine, it's just my hearing that sucks :)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Thank goodness for this forum, because all I heard during that last scene was "I feel nothing." I thought he felt nothing for Regina when she returned, then wondered why they hugged.

The depression scene was well written, the "feel nothing" and how it feels. 

But

The writers continue to create stories that have nothing to do with how they build the character. Nothing really indicated Rome's being in a downward spiral in the most recent episodes. We are just left with a jump in his state of mind that came without any clues, or nothing that was consistent, at least. I wish they had developed the story gradually. Depression creeps in, it is not a sudden onset. 

I appreciate the theme but it was badly re-introduced, imo

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

The depression scene was well written, the "feel nothing" and how it feels. 

But

The writers continue to create stories that have nothing to do with how they build the character. Nothing really indicated Rome's being in a downward spiral in the most recent episodes. We are just left with a jump in his state of mind that came without any clues, or nothing that was consistent, at least. I wish they had developed the story gradually. Depression creeps in, it is not a sudden onset. 

I appreciate the theme but it was badly re-introduced, imo

Sometimes a traumatic event can trigger a sudden depressive episode.  Perhaps the stress of Regina being away and dealing with the movie and then suddenly they were resolved (Gina's back, movie lawsuit resolved, sort of) was a stress trigger.  I don't know for sure because I am not a psychiatrist.  Any stress can trigger depression, even "good" stress.

I hope they show Rome going into therapy and being prescribed appropriate pharmaceuticals or his current medication being adjusted in tandem as his treatment plan.  I don't want to see Rome wallowing around in bed with Regina having to convince Rome to get help.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sometimes a traumatic event can trigger a sudden depressive episode.  Perhaps the stress of Regina being away and dealing with the movie and then suddenly they were resolved (Gina's back, movie lawsuit resolved, sort of) was a stress trigger.  I don't know for sure because I am not a psychiatrist.  Any stress can trigger depression, even "good" stress.

You are right. What I didn't like was the way it was presented to us, more or less out of nowhere. We didn't see Rome getting depressed. He was celebrating one minute, then he was depressed. It was not very well directed or written. I think they should have shown him having some ups and downs instead of one moment up, and the moment when he recognizes he is not well.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

You are right. What I didn't like was the way it was presented to us, more or less out of nowhere. We didn't see Rome getting depressed. He was celebrating one minute, then he was depressed. It was not very well directed or written. I think they should have shown him having some ups and downs instead of one moment up, and the moment when he recognizes he is not well.

I agree with you that it came out of nowhere.  I think they wanted the shock value of Rome telling Regina he didn't feel anything because we were all in cringe worthy anticipation of Rome cheating with Cassandra the publicist.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, circumvent said:

The hell of it is, a depressed person can appear perfectly normal and act appropriately when in the company of other people. That being said, the show certainly should have showed some of that in Rome's private moments.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The hell of it is, a depressed person can appear perfectly normal and act appropriately when in the company of other people. That being said, the show certainly should have showed some of that in Rome's private moments.

Right. In a show the nuances are important. It is like in another show where an adult man, dark hair and a complexion that is clearly not the whitest of whites is the grown version of a blond, very white child, and that was supposed to be a big revelation. It happens in real life but TV viewers need a clear thread to put things together. 

• Love 2
On 12/2/2021 at 10:11 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Who is going to care for Colin while Gary is on this road trip with Maggie?  Didn't he just unexpectedly hop in the car and drive away?

If we’re lucky maybe Colin will run away and go back to his real owner, who will figure out Gary pawned off a different dog on them, and they’ll track down Gary and make his life hell. And the stalker will kill Maggie. I can dream…

• LOL 4
  • Love 2