Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E78: Where are They Now: Houston

• Start Topic

Four months after Decision Day, the couples from Houston are moving on with their lives as they let go of the past and focus on the future.  Rachel and Jose work on rebuilding their struggling relationship, tensions mount between Bao and Johnny, and a surprising new romance develops between two of the newly single cast members.

Airs Wednesday, Nov 24 at 10:03 PM EST.

• Love 1

I need a break to cleanse my brain.  Michaela still blaming her father’s death.  Talking a good game.

Hey, next time let’s just pick five women and five men and who you think they would match with but don’t match them and let them hang out and let them pick themselves out somebody they want to be with. Oh I guess that’s just kind of like real life so now let’s have them pick someone.  No, I like the crazy marry and then meet.

I do believe that Jose is working on himself.  

Gil is in therapy.  I admire him for being straightforward about seeking help to get over the trauma of being so deceived. He certainly wanted to believe but Myrla seemed to have surprised with everybody with her narrative.  she had said so much about he was perfect for her. Anyway, maybe Jose can get his therapist’s phone number.

Johnny has the right career for Myrla.  Great car, money.  Johnny just don’t argue with Bao.

• Love 3

Michaela needs therapy.  Shadow boxing is fine but she needs insight not just talk and boxing.  Her sisters always go along with what she says.

Ryan dating.  So what is Ryan’s type?  Petite with unsaggy boobs?  And no over bite?  I thought his type was blond.

I saw that Zack likes Bao when she is her giddy self.  At least when playing pool.  Bao’s friend wants Jonny?  Good luck to her.  Be the big spoon!

• Love 10

Zach's brother is asking all the right questions. But, why would a thirty-five year old woman who cares about what people think about her date an immature twenty-something dude when she has evidence that he's a fairly problematic partner? Maybe she thinks he'd be a great partner to someone more stable than Michaela. Is the guy who says he has a history of dating toxic women is interested in Bao because he believes at least some of what Johnny said when he trash-talked Bao?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Bao kinda acted like a 13-yr-old — you’re a grown woman, you can manage a hello!

How did Myrla rate a separate house when everyone else stayed together in the bigger house?

Rachel & Jose are 50/50 for me. They were smart though to back it up and start from scratch. Maybe those crazy kids are working on things & will make it? They can take Couples Cam cash & go to Switzerland! 

Ryan’s date could barely conduct a conversation- shallow & vapid (and a crap dresser).

Edited by ChiMama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Gil away from Myrla seems like a cool dude. He gets paid to learn how to be a paramedic, he gets to grow a beard. Good for him. Hopefully, a miracle happens and his big brotherly influence helps Michaela at least a little.

Johnny is a diva. It's interesting that Bao wanted to keep so much with Johnny private yet is exposing the relationship with Zack to the world.  After one date they are already semi-exclusive. Seriously? His younger brothers seem more mature than he does. 

• Love 5

Bao discussing dating Zach on camera may seem more natural to her because:

She’s had the cameras in her face for months now. She was pretty open and honest with Johnny on decision day too. 

She’s not discussing her sex life with Zach on camera.  She’s not pawing him on camera.  She’s calmly discussing why she wants to date him, he’s not yelling and insulting  her on camera 

She, Zach,and Ryan have been hanging out casually for a few months at this point and she is comfortable with him.  Although dating a friend and Michaela’s  ex is awkward. 

• Love 14
12 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Ryan’s date could barely conduct a conversation- shallow & vapid (and a crap dresser).

Give her a chance. I sure wouldn't want a first date televised. They are always awkward until things get going. 

I was so happy to hear Zack specifically mention that he enjoys giddy Bao. She is still so much in her head analyzing everything even before it happens. I do hope she can relax and actually enjoy her life. She has a pretty smile and a nice laugh when she is actually "allowed" to use it. Damn, Bao. This is a first date - don't start asking him about how he is feeling about where they are. Just stop! I hope this isn't how they act without cameras. If it is, bye bye Zack.

Not sure about Gil's televised therapy in the park. At least the ring is off, but it felt fake to me. 

I just do not like either Rachel or Jose. And I don't see that changing.  But, I don't see them ending up together. I think Myrla will coerce her into the single girls' lifestyle. I do hope Myrla can find a nice dog sitter, because her sweet little pup is actually going to get a little bigger and may not fit in her purse.

Myrla REALLY seems to like Johnny. Why???? And he has to make a big deal about being in the same place as Bao. She isn't even paying attention to him. Drama Queen (him, not her). OMG - Johnny wants to be a SAH Dad??? Babies and children are not clean and they make messes. 

I am not sure about Michaela and Gil spending so much time together. I get it, but I don't want her to start having feelings or fantasies about him. He deserves someone more stable. She is not ready.

(Am watching it now since I fell asleep last night.) Yes, Rachel, we KNOW you are living separately. Nothing has changed in the last 5 minutes. She is so boring. "I'm really excited." she says with absolutely no emotion in her voice. I do wonder what will happen when they can finally stop being fame whores and the cameras go away. Good grief, I don't want to hear anymore about the work Jose has done. She will move in and move out in less than a month. Speculation only. 

ETA - may we PLEASE be done with this season and this group of people??? And the fake questioning is terrible. We don't need anyone  playing questioner.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I was so happy to hear Zack specifically mention that he enjoys giddy Bao. She is still so much in her head analyzing everything even before it happens. I do hope she can relax and actually enjoy her life. She has a pretty smile and a nice laugh when she is actually "allowed" to use it. Damn, Bao. This is a first date - don't start asking him about how he is feeling about where they are. Just stop! I hope this isn't how they act without cameras. If it is, bye bye Zack.

It was very freeing to see the two of them actually have a relaxing dinner with someone that wasn't constantly grabbing all the attention and putting them down or making them a villain all the time.  I think when each of them can actually feel relaxed and accepted enough to be themselves they're actually pretty nice people in spite of what their toxic spouses would have the rest of the world believe.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Myrla REALLY seems to like Johnny. Why???? And he has to make a big deal about being in the same place as Bao. She isn't even paying attention to him. Drama Queen (him, not her). OMG - Johnny wants to be a SAH Dad??? Babies and children are not clean and they make messes. 

I think the two of them are joining forces to try to lengthen their 15 minutes of fame as long as they can.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
On 11/24/2021 at 11:12 PM, mythoughtis said:

How long will Myrla having a dog last? 

If she continues the way she's going, not long.  When she left the dog alone in the cottage I cringed.  Was it me or was that pup a little too young to be house trained yet?

Her saying she wanted a dog that didn't slobber also told me how little she knows about dogs.  Pretty much only certain larger dogs slobber, and especially not toy or miniature poodles.

• Love 5

I feel very sorry for the puppy Myrla adopted. She's definitely not a dog person. She doesn't like slobber, she doesn't like shedding, and she didn't like Gil's dog. Was she aware that puppies poop and pee when she decided she wanted a dog? What is she going to do when the puppy makes a mess on her carpet? I don't think she has a yard. Did she think about having to take a dog outside for potty breaks? She's too selfish to have a dog. I'm betting that the puppy was already at a shelter before this episode aired. I'm more worried about the poor puppy than the people.😕 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

If she continues the way she's going, not long.  When she left the dog alone in the cottage I cringed Was it me or was that pup a little too young to be house trained yet?

Her saying she wanted a dog that didn't slobber also told me how little she knows about dogs.  Pretty much only certain larger dogs slobber, and especially not toy or miniature poodles.

I started cringing when I saw her "shopping" for a puppy and cringed each time I saw her with the puppy she chose. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I don't like dogs at all but I'm not surprised by Myrla doing this. It's not that she was ever afraid a dogs. She just thought they were gross. So, she went and got her a little fluffy dog she can accessorize like it's a toy. Many women like her do it. I don't even think she will treat the dog badly. The dog will just also be a prop in her life. Just like everyone else. Everyone is a prop in the life of Myrla. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I would love it if Princess Portia the puppy ended up with Brett. She needs a new little buddy and would give her a wonderful, caring home. It's hard to move on (I lost my little girl who almost made it to 18 this summer), but I hope that Brett chooses to rescue this poor. sweet dog and that Myrla can have visitation (SUPERVISED visitation).

• Love 6

Myrla did say she’d had a dog before, but she wasn’t a fan of big dogs. They also showed the pool party at her house, with a yard. At no point did I see her carrying Portia Fendi in a purse or say that she planned to. 

People may not like Myrla, but nothing indicated she’d be an abusive or neglectful dog mom who warrants supervised visitation, geez.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, sarkygal said:

Myrla did say she’d had a dog before, but she wasn’t a fan of big dogs. They also showed the pool party at her house, with a yard. At no point did I see her carrying Portia Fendi in a purse or say that she planned to. 

People may not like Myrla, but nothing indicated she’d be an abusive or neglectful dog mom who warrants supervised visitation, geez.  

Where did this house magically come from?  Since she and Gil rented an apartment together and Gil was the one to move out of it?  Are they having to pay rent on a place neither lives at?  Why did they need to rent an apartment if Myrla had a house? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Bao - please stop with this shower shaming topic, she looks the cleanest, best dressed, most stylish and probably most intelligent of the bunch. I wouldn’t be surprised if her salary is the highest one as well.

she is very controlling of the environment around her, but it’s easy to explain by looking at her past. Her childhood was very messed up too, but she’s never used it as an excuse for her desire to be successful.

Myrla - I can’t believe if any principal will take her counseling seriously after MAFS. 
She needs to stop spending money on ‘brands because it doesn’t help her image at all. My only question for her - how often does she shower if her hair is always dirty?

Gil -  Myrla didn’t calculate well. Gil will be on TeeVee in some form or shape from now on and soon will be making more money than this group in total.

Johnny - doesn’t need a wife. Myrla doesn’t need a husband. The perfect match!

Brett - sorry, but for guys in your age group you are just a  friend. Try to find the older guy who will appreciate you for you.

Edited by Maximadc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Watching Ryan on that date, the first thing that popped into my mind......she's way out of your league, dude.

I don't dislike him, but he's soooo boring.  And he comes to a date wearing the same boring clothing he wears every day.  Maggie at least dressed up a bit.  He looked like he just rolled out of bed.

19 minutes ago, Maximadc said:

Gil -  Myrla didn’t calculate well. Gil will be on TeeVee in some form or shape from now on and soon will be making more money than this group in total.

He'll co-host with Kevin on next year's After Decision Day, but from that point forward it'll be his show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JapMo said:

I don't think $$$ was the principal reason she dumped Gil.  I think she realized that she couldn't "run the show" with him and suffer his "constructively critical remarks."  

He can conquer TV-land and make a million bucks; HOWEVER Ms. Myrla will always have the "satisfaction" of being the "one that got away" in his quest to find a wife.  Not that that's any endorsement of Myrla's character...it's not.  I just think that's how she "rolls."  "Love em and Leave em."

I don't think Myrla is "marriage material."  She seems to love her single life.  I think appearing on the show was simply an adventure she wanted to experience to achieve the "celebrity status" that she apparently craves.

BTW, I saw upthread somewhere that Myrla was "RECRUITED" for the show and was wondering if anyone had any additional info on that claim.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Rae Spellman said:

On one of the earlier Unfiltered episodes Myrla said that her friend applied for MAFS. MAFS asked him if he had any friends. He mentioned Myrla, etc. In this interview she says her best friend decided he didn't want to do the show but referred her. 

Isn't that the exact same way that Bennet ended up on the show? So much for those clips of hundreds of people attending the application sessions! Further proof that they are casting for a show - not trying to match legitimate singles. But, we all knew that.

• Love 8
On 11/25/2021 at 11:12 PM, Yeah No said:

I think the two of them are joining forces to try to lengthen their 15 minutes of fame as long as they can.  

Who would go on a show as this and make a fool of themselves?  Gil crying.  Johnny crying.  Jose a brute.  Michaela a maniac?  Fame and fortune .. that’s it.  Maybe.

• Love 3

The producers also comb through the dating apps and contact people for the show.  So yeah, all those "casting sessions" are a bunch of B.S.

Ryan was more engaged on that one date than he was in the entire 8 weeks of marriage to Brett.  All because of a skimpy dress on an air-headed girl.  Who lives 250 miles away.  Who couldn't decide if she liked sushi, or didn't like sushi, or didn't mind sushi.  Ryan is gaga....over this???

Johnny is an idiot.  When he told Bao that her giddiness caused him to lose attraction, I wanted to smack him.  Her giddiness, combined with her serious nature & intellect, is what makes Bao, Bao.  I absolutely loved when Zack told her the exact opposite:  that he loves her giddiness.  And finds her so attractive.  

Johnny, take your Tesla and meet Gil's therapist for your own sessions.  And Johnny, that friend of Bao's is awful.  She's so obviously slamming Bao to get to you, but you're just using her for confirmation of your own feelings about Bao.  And you helped cause the end of a 20 year friendship.  Good for you.  Hey, at least you exposed this horrid "friend" to Bao, so she can move on and find healthier friendships.  I hope Bao & Zack last.  I like them!

• Love 13
On 11/25/2021 at 12:58 AM, ChiMama said:

Bao kinda acted like a 13-yr-old — you’re a grown woman, you can manage a hello!

That was disappointing.

19 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Where did this house magically come from?  Since she and Gil rented an apartment together and Gil was the one to move out of it?  Are they having to pay rent on a place neither lives at?  Why did they need to rent an apartment if Myrla had a house? 

I very much want to know what the deal is with the house.  I really hope it wasn't something production rented for the day, but I wouldn't put it past them.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That was disappointing.

I very much want to know what the deal is with the house.  I really hope it wasn't something production rented for the day, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Yes, Bao's reaction to Johnny was disappointing.  And immature.  Just say "Hello Johnny", and grab a drink.  She did herself no favors with that ugly display.

Re:  Myrla's house.  It's probably a rental.  Not hard to find a rental home with a pool in Houston, especially with some new MAFS money that she doesn't have to split with Gil.  Remember she likes nice things, lol.  Also, it could be part of a complex of townhomes where the pool isn't private, but was cleared out for filming.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just watched this episode-pretty boring in many scenes (i.e. when they were showing/talking about their hobbies and new activities).  Also, when they met with non-MAFS friends it was just the participant rehashing the season and making themselves the victims.  Rachael tells too much to too many people so will have a hard time getting her friends and family to support her marriage.

Myrla sure likes the attention of the cameras and Johnny.  Also wonder why she got her own home on the getaway while everyone else was in the main building.  It is nice that some of the participants have made friends with each other and like to hang out.  Bao showed a bit of her mean side (just ignoring Johnny puts HER in a bad light-be the better person and just say hello).

It was just a brief moment but Ryan mentioned not getting involved with someone in heavy debt implying that Brett had debt that he didn't want to pay off.  Obviously, Ryan and Brett were not given the fiananes storylines as Rachel/Jose and Myrla and Gil had those plot lines.  Myrla has changed her own story many times and I would not trust her.  A dog was a dealk-breaker, oh no, only big dogs.  I choose to love my husband, oh no I never loved him nor was I attracted to him.  

Am so glad that this season is over.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It was just a brief moment but Ryan mentioned not getting involved with someone in heavy debt implying that Brett had debt that he didn't want to pay off. 

That Brett divulged derogatory financial info to Ryan  is simply another sign that she needs some self reflection regarding succeeding in a romantic relationship, no less a marriage. 

Why would she provide him with this private info that could further erode his confidence in her as a "wife"?  Any person with even a modicum of self-respect and dignity would understand that Ryan would use it to demean her by making it public (overtly or covertly)  

It would be great if Brett used some lessons she might have gleaned by appearing on the show (and that would include her style choices and presentation as well as other things) to create a more attractive and successful version of herself before jumping into the "dating game" so soon after her "marriage" to Ryan proved to be a failure.

Of course, Ryan's no bargain, either; However, l BET he didn't reveal his personal financial info to her and, with all his personality flaws always dressed and appeared presentable.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Ryan is a dud. Watching him on that date, I was like no wonder he doesn’t find anyone of substance, he isn’t one himself. He’s terrible at making conversation and has one of the most expressionless faces I’ve seen. He’s not Interesting enough to drive four hours one way for on the reg.  

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Ryan is a dud. Watching him on that date, I was like no wonder he doesn’t find anyone of substance, he isn’t one himself. He’s terrible at making conversation and has one of the most expressionless faces I’ve seen. He’s not Interesting enough to drive four hours one way for on the reg.  

It seems odd to me that at his age and with the circles in which he socializes some dude whom Ryan knows (through business or recreational activities)  wouldn't have put him in touch with a similarly-inclined female who would think he was fine and agree to date him.

I'm not thinking intellectual depth and sparkling personality.  I'm simply thinking OK looking, Texas born and bred, into horse wrangling, line dancing, hunting, fishing and gathering for family events and celebrations.

Why hasn't this happened?  Or, maybe if it has happened, I wonder what went wrong???  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

It would be great if Brett used some lessons she might have gleaned by appearing on the show (and that would include her style choices and presentation as well as other things) to create a more attractive and successful version of herself before jumping into the "dating game" so soon after her "marriage" to Ryan proved to be a failure.

Or she could use that same time and energy to find someone who loves her just as she is, instead of some "more artificial version of herself." The whole point of this show is that people start out having moved beyond the superficial version of themselves they present on Hinge or at parties, and get matched with someone based on their authentic self. Obviously the track record of the experts isn't good but I don't think the solution is for people to be less authentic; I think it's to find better experts.

That Brett divulged derogatory financial info to Ryan  is simply another sign that she needs some self reflection regarding succeeding in a romantic relationship, no less a marriage. 

Maybe he asked and she didn't want to lie? Once you're married, your "personal" finances impact another person. Each has the right to know what the other's financial situation is. I don't know if Brett's finances were in excellent condition or horrible condition or somewhere in between but Ryan had every right to know what they were and Brett had every obligation to answer him honestly (and vice versa).

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Or she could use that same time and energy to find someone who loves her just as she is, instead of some "more artificial version of herself." The whole point of this show is that people start out having moved beyond the superficial version of themselves they present on Hinge or at parties, and get matched with someone based on their authentic self. Obviously the track record of the experts isn't good but I don't think the solution is for people to be less authentic; I think it's to find better experts.

But being your 'authentic self' doesn't mean never growing or changing, or that there isn't room for improvement [cough Mikaela cough].  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

But being your 'authentic self' doesn't mean never growing or changing, or that there isn't room for improvement [cough Mikaela cough].  

That's why I suggested she be a more successful version of herself.

Also under the peculiar circumstances of the show and the fact that  Ryan established right from the start that he had no romantic interest in Brett I did not believe it was a good idea for either of them to share private financial info.   I took exception to him revealing her debt status as I didn't think it was appropriate to give him the option of making that situation public.

Of course, in a marriage that occurs under "normal" circumstances, finances must be discussed fully and honestly.

• Love 3