Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E78: Where are They Now: Houston

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, pdlinda said:

It seems odd to me that at his age and with the circles in which he socializes some dude whom Ryan knows (through business or recreational activities)  wouldn't have put him in touch with a similarly-inclined female who would think he was fine and agree to date him.

I'm not thinking intellectual depth and sparkling personality.  I'm simply thinking OK looking, Texas born and bred, into horse wrangling, line dancing, hunting, fishing and gathering for family events and celebrations.

Why hasn't this happened?  Or, maybe if it has happened, I wonder what went wrong???  

I'm thinking that the assumed scenario with Ryan (or the one the show has presented) is actually the other way around and that he's the one that doesn't get anywhere with women precisely because he's a dud and so unappealing from a social interaction perspective.  Unless he flaunts his money and gets women gaga over him for that I can't see him getting too far with them in general.  I'm not talking about hookups either, but women he has to have some kind of intellectual and emotional connection with beyond sex.  That to me seems more likely than what we've been lead to believe about him.

Also, when he said he falls in love easy that didn't fit with the narrative we were given about him being the one not to want to continue in relationships, either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Is this show over, or will they continue following the new couples? 

The way this show was done you'd almost think it was a pilot for a new series entitled, "MAFS, Where are they Now?", specifically about the participants who don't stay married.  Maybe that explains all the cross-relationship cavorting too.  When we heard the rumors that Bao and Zack were dating I never thought they'd actually address it on the show itself, but here we are.  That's all we need now, another MAFS spin-off!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

If Johnny complained about Bao's showering routine when she always looked freshly scrubbed & clean how the hell is he going to cope with Myrla who always looks like her hair needs a wash & who's skin looks greasy, I get that it's some sort of hip thing to look like that but I'm old school & from what he said about Bao I can't see how Johnny would find Myrla appealing.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

If Johnny complained about Bao's showering routine when she always looked freshly scrubbed & clean how the hell is he going to cope with Myrla who always looks like her hair needs a wash & who's skin looks greasy, I get that it's some sort of hip thing to look like that but I'm old school & from what he said about Bao I can't see how Johnny would find Myrla appealing.

I absolutely hate her lash situation, it does nothing to enhance her eyes, they look like two little black holes in her head.

Johnny looked for things about Bao to pick at, I cannot believe he is dating Myrla, there is way to much to pick at with that one.

• Love 6
On 11/26/2021 at 12:29 AM, Racj82 said:

I don't like dogs at all but I'm not surprised by Myrla doing this. It's not that she was ever afraid a dogs. She just thought they were gross. So, she went and got her a little fluffy dog she can accessorize like it's a toy. Many women like her do it. I don't even think she will treat the dog badly. The dog will just also be a prop in her life. Just like everyone else. Everyone is a prop in the life of Myrla. 

Yes - all she needs is a guy who wants to go to brunch with her and she'll be fine 😄

On 11/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, seacliffsal said:

Bao showed a bit of her mean side (just ignoring Johnny puts HER in a bad light-be the better person and just say hello).

IMO she can treat Johnny however she wants after how he treated her.

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Also, when he said he falls in love easy that didn't fit with the narrative we were given about him being the one not to want to continue in relationships, either.

Well the one thing we need to know is what each person means by "falling in love".

• Love 5

I feel like they are all acting now. While they may have wanted to be Married at First Sight, they didn’t really want to be married. I believe Gil was hurt but that’s about it. Maybe Rachel and Jose but they seem like a weak couple. 
I didn’t get Myrlas enthusiasm for Johnny. I had started the season with high hopes for the couples but they were all disappointing.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

I feel like they are all acting now. While they may have wanted to be Married at First Sight, they didn’t really want to be married. I believe Gil was hurt but that’s about it. Maybe Rachel and Jose but they seem like a weak couple. 
I didn’t get Myrlas enthusiasm for Johnny. I had started the season with high hopes for the couples but they were all disappointing.

I commented mid-season that the authenticity of the MAFS "concept" seemed to have morphed into a Jerry Springer-type low-budget reality show having nothing to do with actual people seeking a marital partner.

Starting with Chris last season, perhaps the ratings skyrocketed that gave the producers the erroneous impression that their audience was seeking this type of over-dramatized hype.  If that was their calculation, I wonder what the ratings were for this season?

I'm rapidly losing interest in the show and undecided whether I'll even tune in to see the Boston couples.  I feel that this season was a waste of my time.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I'm rapidly losing interest in the show and undecided whether I'll even tune in to see the Boston couples.  I feel that this season was a waste of my time.

Yup, me too.

It will be interesting to find out if Boston couples are more successful matches than the Houston couples but that is about it.

• Love 5
On 11/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, Retired at last said:

Not sure about Gil's televised therapy in the park. At least the ring is off, but it felt fake to me. 

That felt so staged!!! He didn't even wear his ring at the reunion, so it looks like he did there just for that shot. He can GTFOH with that! Like. Ok. We get it. She blindsided you. It's all he says. Enough already. How's wearing a ring "fighting"??? He's committed to a marriage with himself? Huh?

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 2

What they're not saying is WHY Rachel can't seem to live with José. WHY does she keep moving out? WHAT'S changed to make her move back in? 🤔 Her friend said she needed to feel safe & protected. WHAT DOES SHE MEAN??? I just don't get it. How will next time be different? They're the odd couple. Their situation is so weird. P.S. I'm glad I won't ever have to see the ugly face she makes when she laughs or hear her horrible laugh again!!! 😂😂

• Love 5

I'm not getting Zack & Bao. How is dinner, "being swept off her feet"? Gimme a break! ONE DATE & she asks him if they're exclusive?? WTF?!?!!! Again. It's easy to like someone as a friend. You haven't seen them in a relationship sense! They've seen each other in the "pool in bars" sense! Big deal! It seems lazy, like they might as well since they're around. & idc that Bao ignored Johnny. It's perfectly fine his punk azz doesn't exist. She doesn't owe him anything, much less a, "Hello." I'm glad he was so bothered he left. Who needs his scrawny azz? He deserves no joy. He's in a constant victim state anyway. 😂

• Love 3
9 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I commented mid-season that the authenticity of the MAFS "concept" seemed to have morphed into a Jerry Springer-type low-budget reality show having nothing to do with actual people seeking a marital partner.

Starting with Chris last season, perhaps the ratings skyrocketed that gave the producers the erroneous impression that their audience was seeking this type of over-dramatized hype.  If that was their calculation, I wonder what the ratings were for this season?

Same here. This season and the season prior were lackluster. The Chris stuff seemed like a ratings grab. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Lindz said:

That felt so staged!!! He didn't even wear his ring at the reunion, so it looks like he did there just for that shot. He can GTFOH with that! Like. Ok. We get it. She blindsided you. It's all he says. Enough already. How's wearing a ring "fighting"??? He's committed to a marriage with himself? Huh?

The therapy in the park scene was ridiculous and so fake. First off, the therapist seemed more like she was on a date with him than his therapist, she seemed to be talking and looking at him in a sexual way.. maybe it was just me lol. Also, him wearing a ring and being upset about taking it off made no sense, especially because as you said, he didn't even wear it at the reunion. I do think he was genuinely upset about Myrla leaving him but I can't decide if it's because he really cared about her or because this ruined his chance at being on couples cam. Throughout the season, he seemed like he was biding his time until he can get away from her spoiled ass rather than hoping their relationship continues. 

Johnny seems very into Myrla but I can guarantee if they were to actually date, he'd find many many faults in her. He lives to be the victim in any situation.

• Love 8

I was actually surprised that Brett (who seemed to be a true animal person) would be a willing co-conspirator in Myrla's purchasing a puppy from a hell hole pet store/puppy mill.

I would have pegged her for being the type to push for adopting from a rescue group or shelter.   You would think she would have at lease been less giddy about the whole thing.

Meh! to them both.  (or all 4 if you count Brett's boobs.)  

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Ryan told his date he didn't know her preferences & feel free to enlighten him. Um. That's NOT how you ask a question!!! She didn't even look at him when she responded. EIGHT HOUR DRIVE for a dinner with someone who didn't even care to ask if she'd like sushi??? It doesn't make sense. More like, the cameras are around. I need something to show them, any friend willing to participate? 😅😂 And Zack waiting til ON CAMERA to ask out Bao?? Seems very inauthentic. Again. She knows what BS to expect & it started when Ryan asked what he's been up to. He didn't admit to dating & didn't even tell Bao he was keeping it secret. He probably won't ever claim being in a relationship with her. They're just "dating exclusively." 😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Lindz said:

I have a feeling editing is to blame  here.  Gil was not wearing his ring at the reunion, and had a beard.  On this episode( where are they now), Brett drops by the fire house.  Gill tells her he’s been going to therapy and gets to have a beard because he is becoming a paramedic.  As is if that question wouldn’t have been asked when she saw him at the reunion between filming. Then we are  shown the therapy session in the park, and it appears to be the initial session.  I think the therapy session and the scene with Brett actually happened before the reunion.   
I really think the getaway happened a week or so after the  reunion. It wasn’t a where are they now as in where are they in November  2021. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Why oh why are they encouraging Mikaela to learn combat skills?  So she can seriously maim the next guy crazy enough to go out with her?  Is she getting any therapy beyond the limp affirmations the instructor was spouting?  
  And why does Jose keep doing that weird thing with his mouth?  It looks like he is super angry and trying not say what he’s really thinking.  He gives me the creeps.

Never liked Myrla, still don’t.

• Love 4
On 11/25/2021 at 11:51 PM, Yeah No said:

On 11/24/2021 at 11:12 PM, mythoughtis said:

How long will Myrla having a dog last? 

If she continues the way she's going, not long.  When she left the dog alone in the cottage I cringed

The last shot of the puppy when Myrla said goodbye and left her at the house? That dog was peeing on the floor.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2021 at 2:55 PM, Chatty Cake said:

I didn’t get Myrlas enthusiasm for Johnny.

I get it. Johnny is a diva, drives a Tesla, and does well for himself financially. Myrla isn't interested in him as a partner, but definitely as a friend...like a GBFF relationship. I can totally see Johnny being up for expensive brunch eateries with cute drinks. He's "about" everything she's about. Not judging that, simply pointing out they have an awful lot in common superficially. And both of unfortunately seem superficial to the exclusion of anything deep.

Edited by thatsall
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
On 11/25/2021 at 11:53 PM, EXEAL said:

I feel very sorry for the puppy Myrla adopted. She's definitely not a dog person. She doesn't like slobber, she doesn't like shedding, and she didn't like Gil's dog. Was she aware that puppies poop and pee when she decided she wanted a dog? What is she going to do when the puppy makes a mess on her carpet? I don't think she has a yard. Did she think about having to take a dog outside for potty breaks? She's too selfish to have a dog. I'm betting that the puppy was already at a shelter before this episode aired. I'm more worried about the poor puppy than the people.😕 

^^^Why I know I'm not a dog person! Not as an owner, anyway; otherwise, I love dogs!

Maybe Myrla likes Johnny from his public persona and not how he behaved with Bao in private. 

But I can also totally see the "TV fame" wheels turning in her and Johnny’s heads!

"Buying the Brand, with Myrla and Johnny!"

"S1, E1: 'Fashion Tension'---Follow M&J as they shop the famous Rodeo Drive for a special-event handbag that threatens to break Myrla's bank! Special Guest Star: Khloe Kardashian."

ETA: Ryan's date's teeth look like she sucked her thumb too often and too long. Or they are really bad caps. FWIW, Maggie seems similar to Brett in the "My Eyes Are Up Here" dept. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

Zack has lost his nervousness,  with Bao; Bao has lost her hurt, worry, and self-consciousness,  with Zack; Myrla has found laughter with Johnny, friendship with Brett, and responsibility and love with a dog; Johnny has lost his anger and disappointment, with Myrla;  Ryan has found his smile, if not love; Michaela is no longer enraged or jealous, working on improving physically and emotionally;  and Gil has gained through therapy the solace of accepting the bittersweetness of love and loss. 

Rachel and Jose just might have embarked on their own new path to happiness with each other. I think both realized they didn't want to forsake the other. 

To all that, I, too, will raise my glass! 

See you, mes amis, next month! 🎅

ETA: Season 14!

https://parade.com/1273420/stephanieosmanski/married-at-first-sight-season-14/amp/

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8