Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Half the Money/S04.E02: Phantom Pain

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

I can't wait until tomorrow.  Hope you'll all be here to celebrate Yellowstone's return!

Don't forget to turn your clocks back an hour tonight.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

Am I the only one that is desperate to run a comb through Beth's hair?  🤨

So as not to drop any specifics/spoilers for those who haven't seen it, I'll just say that to me, the first 20 minutes (of actual Yellowstone) were the best of the two hours.  Plus the Roarke scene. 🐍  After that, meh.  Sure it will get juicy though.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Can't wait to find out who. 

Can't wait for Jaime to get played by his dad.

Rip cracks me up.

I don't understand the whole Travis stuff, but whatever. 

Rainwater and John just need to realize that they need to stick together to fend off everyone that wants a piece of the land. 

• Love 4

The start was amazing.

Nobody died, I didn't expect to lose any Duttons, but I wouldn't have minded whatshername jumping from Llolyd to Walker dying. She's got no purpose.

The fact nobody touched Jamie says a lot on who ordered the hit, its someone who protected him.

From the second Beth starting talking to the kid and he said his father was dying of heroine I thought the kid was Rip 2.0. Instead of Beth trying to figure out tuna hamburger helper why doesn't she just get the food from the main house chef. lol

Lol at John telling Jimmy's girlfriend she's not lucky. Jimmy expected to be able to do what job? The kid can do more than him.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I like the show but the Duttons are awful people. The only one I still like is Jamie and I hope he gets revenge on John and Beth. 

People go missing or show up dead in amazing numbers and authorities apparently don't care, lol.

I agree with the upstream comment that Jamie will get played by his dad.  Buying that place is the start of it.

No Monica/Tate this episode.

So obvious Beth was going to take the kid in.

Wes Bentley does a great job looking terrified of Beth!  

Rip is just the best, I still want to get the t-shirt, "Got a Problem, Send Rip".  He loves Beth so much.   Why, I don't know.

Taylor Sheridan uses the same several character actors from Wind River in both Yellowstone and Mayor of Kingstown.  It's hard for me to see them as anything but scumbags!  (Wind River is a great movie if you haven't seen it.)  He uses a LOT of the same actors.

Kevin Costner is still hot!  

Edited by SnarkAttack
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one that is desperate to run a comb through Beth's hair?  🤨

So as not to drop any specifics/spoilers for those who haven't seen it, I'll just say that to me, the first 20 minutes (of actual Yellowstone) were the best of the two hours.  Plus the Roarke scene. 🐍  After that, meh.  Sure it will get juicy though.

Seriously, how much effort does it take to run a brush through your hair??? If I was the actress, I would brush my own hair if hair/makeup did not.  It drives me nuts! 

• Love 5

Wow, death by cottonmouth is very...inventive (but horrifying).  

What was the point of making the kid run out and grab the plastic bag?  Was it just to see if he can take orders without arguing and asking a lot of questions?  Poor kid.  His doesn't have many options and they all seem pretty bad.

Geez, Beth, did you have to be all cryptic?  Just tell your dad that nobody died, and that's all that matters right now.

Was hoping Jimmy would die, LOL.  He's a moron with a death wish.

Enjoyed the dirty-looking son hauling ass to catch the guys who shot up his dad.  All the people just sitting in their vehicles (especially the lady in the red car) in the middle of a shoot-out were idiots, though.  I'd like to think I would have moved a safe distance away as soon as the shooting started!

• Love 6

The first 20 minutes were very exciting.  I'm not surprised that none of the Duttons died, but thought that this would have been a good opportunity to get rid of a few of the supporting players.  The cast is large and they are adding new actors too.  I think this would have been a good opportunity to get rid of Jimmy, I think his storyline as the "guy who isn't good at anything (except rodeo)" has been played out.  Wouldn't have minded one or two of the ranch women to be gone as well.

Monica and Tate disappeared after Tate killed the guy trying to kill Monica.  Nobody even talked about them.  John didn't ask Kacey about her or Tate, Kacey didn't mention them, nobody seems to care if Tate is in shock after killing a man.

What happened to the lady and her son who had the flat tire?  Were they in on the plot to kill John?  Or was it just a coincidence?  They disappeared when the shooting started but nothing was mentioned about them ever again.  You would think there would be some investigation at least to see if she was in on it, to have him stop on the road.

I found the second hour to be a bit slow.  Wanted to see more happening.  I don't know who this older lady with the silver hair is.  Is she from the same company that Roarke and the CEO (black lady, I forget her name) were from?  Someone please remind me what happened to the CEO?  Did she get disgraced and forced out after Beth launched a hostile takeover of her company?  I also forget if the takeover succeeded and what the beef her boss Bob has with her.

Kevin Costner cut his hair and looked younger than he has in years.  Not sure if it was the hospital's doing or not, but when he was in the hot spring, it looks like they also decided to give him a full body shave.  Even his armpits.  Strange.

10 hours ago, Artsda said:

From the second Beth starting talking to the kid and he said his father was dying of heroine I thought the kid was Rip 2.0. Instead of Beth trying to figure out tuna hamburger helper why doesn't she just get the food from the main house chef. lol

I assumed it was to show that Beth and Rip are making a home and a life for themselves, and Beth doesn't back away from any challenge, even if she's terrible at cooking, she's going to try.  "Why didn't you just use Tuna Helper?"  "There's a Tuna Helper?"  and "Hamburger Helper, made with actual hamburger."  Too funny.

3 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Wow, death by cottonmouth is very...inventive (but horrifying).  

What was the point of making the kid run out and grab the plastic bag?  Was it just to see if he can take orders without arguing and asking a lot of questions?  Poor kid.  His doesn't have many options and they all seem pretty bad.

Geez, Beth, did you have to be all cryptic?  Just tell your dad that nobody died, and that's all that matters right now.

Was hoping Jimmy would die, LOL.  He's a moron with a death wish.

Enjoyed the dirty-looking son hauling ass to catch the guys who shot up his dad.  All the people just sitting in their vehicles (especially the lady in the red car) in the middle of a shoot-out were idiots, though.  I'd like to think I would have moved a safe distance away as soon as the shooting started!

I think the point was to see if the kid would follow instructions.  It's something John probably did to Rip and Rip is now becoming the father figure.  Since Beth can't have children, I like that this kid is going to be their adopted son.  I'm not sure how old Tate is (maybe 12 now?) but I could see he and Tate clashing initially but then both eventually accepting that the two of them are the future of the ranch, if it survives.  Beth can't have kids, Lee is dead, Jamie isn't going to have kids.  Kayce and Monica may have another child sometime, I would think they will have a girl and the family is a bit more rounded out and we have the next generation of Duttons.

Fully agree about Jimmy.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

What happened to the lady and her son who had the flat tire?  Were they in on the plot to kill John?  Or was it just a coincidence?  They disappeared when the shooting started but nothing was mentioned about them ever again.  You would think there would be some investigation at least to see if she was in on it, to have him stop on the road.

I don't remember about the son (didn't even remember there was a son) but she was shot down running away after they thought they had taken John out and as the van was speeding away.  If she was in on it, they didn't want her alive to spill the dirt.

• Love 1

Carter needs a haircut; maybe Beth could do it when she brushes/combs her hair. People asked about his father, but no one mentioned his mother.

Who was buried next to Lee on the ranch?

I liked the tie-in to the 1800s story of the Native buried on Dutton property (that had been Native property) to the present-day digging discovery of the remains and artifacts. 

Carter needs a haircut; maybe Beth could do it when she brushes/combs her hair. People asked about his father, but no one mentioned his mother.

I liked the tie-in to the 1800s story of the Native buried on Dutton property (that had been Native property) to the present-day digging discovery of the remains and artifacts. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

I don't remember about the son (didn't even remember there was a son) but she was shot down running away after they thought they had taken John out and as the van was speeding away.  If she was in on it, they didn't want her alive to spill the dirt.

Yes, the son went into the hills looking for bearings(sp) that he dropped when he was going to “relieve him self” and that was the last we saw of him.  I agree, they should have come to a conclusion as to what happened to both the mom and son.

they should have had a conclusion as to what happened to both the mother and son.

• Love 1

I am a bit surprised that Rip killed Roarke so quickly.  I am assuming it was on either Beth or John's instructions, even though there was no proof he was involved in the assassination attempts (at least none that we saw).  I had expected this actor to be around for this season as the big bad.

31 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I thought Lee was cremated?  I remember seeing one of the characters holding a box.  And I thought they put the ashes in the grave with his mother.  Maybe I am mis-remembering.

48 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

22 minutes ago, cloudy71 said:

Yes, the son went into the hills looking for bearings(sp) that he dropped when he was going to “relieve him self” and that was the last we saw of him.  I agree, they should have come to a conclusion as to what happened to both the mom and son.

Thank you, I missed that the mom was shot, but yeah, odd that there was no mention of the boy.  

• Love 2

A lot of unexplained holes in the story.  Beth getting blown up, but the next time we see her she has just a scratch on her face.  Then later we see the burn scars on her back.  Now that should have taken some significant hospital time but no, she just lights up a cigarette and she's good to go.

Monica and Tate must be holed up somewhere afraid to come out.  

I'm over Jimmy and the ranch bunnies.  Are the bunnies now employed ranch hands?  because they are always there.

I'm over Beth and her badass self, too.  She does show some vulnerability with Rip, but I'd really like to see Jamie throw a drink in her face.

• Like 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, blackwing said:
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Beth can't have kids, Lee is dead, Jamie isn't going to have kids.  Kayce and Monica may have another child sometime, I would think they will have a girl and the family is a bit more rounded out and we have the next generation of Duttons.

So I am sure I missed something along the way but what happened to Jamie's baby or the baby momma?

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

His mother

57 minutes ago, spacefly said:

So I am sure I missed something along the way but what happened to Jamie's baby or the baby momma?

Ah, I had forgotten about her!  I don't think she was seen at all in Season 3?  But I thought her story was done.  Didn't she tell Jamie that he had to choose between her or his family.  And at the time, he chose his family, so she said she would go it alone.  Presumably she has had the baby and hasn't been in contact with him.

I wonder if she will resurface during this season?  Would be interesting if he acknowledged the child as his and argues that this child has a place in the family hierarchy.

Edited by blackwing
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spacefly said:

3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

His mother

I’ll have to re-watch. I thought Lee was buried there in season one, and someone else was buried there in the first two Season 4 episodes. I thought John or someone else said they could bury ??? with Lee in one of last night’s episodes.

Don't the writers on this show know that the quickest way to lose viewers interest is to introduce a damned kid into the story ? He got more screen time than Kayce or Jamie FFS in the second episode. 

Speaking of kids, nice job Tate on blowing away the bad guy...and blowing out your moms eardrums at the same time. 

I'd love to know where the Duttons are getting all the money for the big time rodeo team they are sponsoring when they keep whining that they can barely afford the property taxes. 

So when Beth gets fired, she taunts that her soon to be former boss is the CO owner of all the land they acquired. Who is the other owner ? Market Equities now ?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

A lot of unexplained holes in the story.  Beth getting blown up, but the next time we see her she has just a scratch on her face.  Then later we see the burn scars on her back.  Now that should have taken some significant hospital time but no, she just lights up a cigarette and she's good to go.

I'm over Jimmy and the ranch bunnies.  Are the bunnies now employed ranch hands?  because they are always there.

I'm over Beth and her badass self, too.  She does show some vulnerability with Rip, but I'd really like to see Jamie throw a drink in her face.

I'd like to know exactly how she survived.  She was about 10 feet away from her assistant when she said "wait I don't know what that is".  Bomb goes off with enough force to blow out the windows and presumably destroyed the assistant.  Did Beth crouch down behind her desk?  Hide behind a file cabinet?  The back of her clothes seemed shredded so it doesn't seem like she ducked.  But no other harm done?

I love Badass Beth.  After suffering through little roaring Cheyenne on the first season of "Big Sky" and her very poor attempt at a Beth Dutton imitation, I am glad to see Beth again.  She was almost raped and killed in a previous season, she was almost blown to bits here.  Frankly I'm surprised that she hasn't already caught the person that is responsible and strung him up by his nuts.  Somehow I doubt it was Roarke and I doubt it was Jamie.  I am unclear as to why she hasn't spent all her energy on trying to figure this one out.  

Jimmy and the bunnies are just a waste of time.  If they are working on the ranch, then sure.  But I thought they were introduced as barrel jumpers, or something like that?  They don't seem to add any value to working the ranch itself.  They're living in the bunkhouse and eating the food and I guess John and Rip are OK with it.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

Even though she's a main character, I've been over Beth since Season 1.  Her main role is throwing F-bombs all the time like she thinks that makes her a badass, and drinking and smoking.   I want Jamie to grow a pair and, yeah, throw a drink in her face and fight back if she starts a fight.  Although it would be pretty cool if that older lady schemed and plotted and got the best of her and the rest of the Duttons.

I hope Jamie's dad isn't playing him though.   

I like the new kid, aka Young Rip, but I fear for him with Beth and Rip as "role models."  Too bad he can't find decent foster parents somewhere else.

Jimmy is too stupid to live so somebody needs to just put him down, and I can't stand his pushy girlfriend who doesn't care if he gets hurt or paralyzed. 

I used to like Walker but I don't like him throwing his relationship with that buckle bunny in Lloyd's face.   When Walker and the girl were sitting there with him playing that guitar, I thought Lloyd was going to go over and stab him.  I don't understand the bunk house dynamics anyway, since the women can just have sex with the men and no one cares about privacy.

Not much Monica and Tate was a good thing for me.   Speaking of Monica, it's amazing how she can get her head banged on the floor twice, yet she can just jump right up.  🙄 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

LOL good one! Carter's hair will be down to his butt!! 😆

• LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Msample said:

I'd love to know where the Duttons are getting all the money for the big time rodeo team they are sponsoring when they keep whining that they can barely afford the property taxes. 

So when Beth gets fired, she taunts that her soon to be former boss is the CO owner of all the land they acquired. Who is the other owner ? Market Equities now ?

I believe the deal w Travis (that I love is played by Sheridan himself-- and him getting to show off some riding skills) is being based mostly on spec of a sort & pretty sure John can manage a loan from somewhere. And Travis was confident about "stacking checks on the desk as thick as a phone book".

I believe that was a timber rattler not a cottonmouth. The venom is way more deadly and quick acting and also that snake is common in that part of the country-- cottonmouths are found mostly in lower Midwest & the South -- lower elevations and warmer climes. All snakes can swim btw. Cottonmouth are aggressive awa vicious. A million years ago I had some acreage on a river on the Ks.-Mo border and some of the kids were swimming while we checked the trotline when a cottonmouth swam towards the swimmers. They hightailed it to the overhanging trees & pulled up out of the water and that snake wound itself around a protruding root and was stretching and snapping at one terrified girl right up until one of the adults who had brought his rifle blew its head right off. Nasty Critters...

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I’ll have to re-watch. I thought Lee was buried there in season one, and someone else was buried there in the first two Season 4 episodes. I thought John or someone else said they could bury ??? with Lee in one of last night’s episodes.

I think Kacey may have said this to John or John to Kacey when they were at the stream. Not positive on when or where but the discussion was between these two.

Re: The roadside mom & kid from Johns attempted murder.

I do wish there'd been some closure there but since we saw the mom gunned down and the kid didn't show up while John was lying by the roadside for what appeared to be some time I suppose we are to assume the kid was killed by a stray bullet. Or possibly ran away and might turn up later on.  Wish the writers had addressed this even in passing. But never mind I guess...

Also I wasn't thrilled to have so much time devoted to ads for Sheridan upcoming new shows but they do look good!! 

Particularly want to see the 1890 (?) Western! Also I believe there's another spin-off coming that's going to be connected with Jimmy and where Travis is taking him. So Jimmy is gone from Yellowstone (at least for awhile) and serving as an anchor for the new show whatever the name is (something w 6666 in the title?)

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, BlueHawk said:

I believe that was a timber rattler not a cottonmouth. The venom is way more deadly and quick acting and also that snake is common in that part of the country-- cottonmouths are found mostly in lower Midwest & the South -- lower elevations and warmer climes. All snakes can swim btw.

Yes, you are probably absolutely correct there.  Cottonmouths/water moccasins were the only snake I knew could swim.  Until now....

Sweet geezus, all snakes can swim?!  Nightmare fuel!!

I know that they're doing the "tough love" thing with that kid Beth brought home, but maybe don't shove him, nearly ditch him on the side of the road, and just generally treat him like shit?  This poor kid is definitely ending up a murderer under Rip and Beth's care.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Yes, you are probably absolutely correct there.  Cottonmouths/water moccasins were the only snake I knew could swim.  Until now....

Sweet geezus, all snakes can swim?!  Nightmare fuel!!

I know that they're doing the "tough love" thing with that kid Beth brought home, but maybe don't shove him, nearly ditch him on the side of the road, and just generally treat him like shit?  This poor kid is definitely ending up a murderer under Rip and Beth's care.  

Outside of actual"water snakes" most avoid the water unless they're forced in by a flood or escape from a predator. So altho' they can swim they don't like it much and rattlers & copperheads etc. won't chase you into the water -usually 😁...

Yep. The kid will turn out just like his new "parental units". Probably gonna drive someone to the train station as soon as his drivers licence is valid...

Edited by BlueHawk
Spelling
  • LOL 8

My expectations were way high and I've been waiting forever for the show to come back and... I did not get disappointed. I loved it. All of it. Fluff, plot holes and the lot. This show is amazing. 

That first episode. Like I couldn't breathe for about 20 minutes. I almost felt like pausing for a bit just to get some air but I couldn't do that either as I was so hooked. The way they use the camera and shoot this show is just great. The views are amazing and I'm in love with Taylor's storytelling. I don't mind the time jump from all the action to John waking up in the hospital. I get they don't have forever screentime and the tidbits we got later on (Kasey showing his bullet wound to his dad, Beth showing her burns to her former boss & the shot of her back on the bed with Rip). Of course I loved Beth shooting at the windchime (and the bird saving itself) and all of her zingers. Carter had me from get-go. I don't mind his hair, it feels realistic to his character. John in the bunkhouse, love. The only thing I would've changed was to not have left Jimmy with that cliffhanger from last season and instead just have him injured, or even killed off, when the attack happened on the ranch. He went from someone I rooted for to just a dimwit and it makes me sorta sad as I like the actor. 

The second episode didn't disappoint me either. Loved that Carter got space in the episode and a good introduction. I admit it - I don't like horses that much but man was I impressed with how they moved with those cattle. It was like watching herding dogs with sheeps and I was majorly impressed. But yes I don't really get what was going on there with John and Travis and their business talk but damn those horses were amazing so who cares. I did miss Tate and (I never thought I would say this) Monica in the 2nd ep, their complete absence & not even being spoken about was a bit weird. 

I don't trust Jamie at all. I love to hate him but in this case I think he's being used as a pawn if anything. Roarke went quickly, good. I missed Yellowstone and especially Beth Dutton on my screen. Can't wait for the next episode. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I forgot to ask, whose house burned down?  At first I thought it was Rip's but where are he and Beth living now?

Rip's house/cabin was burned down.  They are staying in the ranch foreman's house/cabin, which is closer to the main house.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

That first episode was a fine hour of television. Superbly acted by all. But playing coy about whether or not Kayce survived was not cool.

4 hours ago, roughing it said:

Shhh!  Don’t tell them it’s clear!  Well, Monica anyway.  Tate is cute.

Aww, I like Jimmy but all the skanky girls can leave. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Msample said:

She is, all their faces fell when she told him he should have read the fine print.

I wish the bunnies to go too, Rip should have put a stop to that already.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Did anyone else but me, upon seeing Kayce emerge in the distance dressed as the Swamp Creature, say to themselves "oh damn, Kayce lost too much blood and his mind too?  lol  

Seriously though, that was a bit odd.

I was thinking John was hallucinating at first.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

It was a ghillie suit. I’m guessing he probably wore one as a SEAL. My take was that he was defending the ranch against another potential attack because they’d just brought John home from the hospital. I thought it might be a little much but sometimes you just have to stick with what you know.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

It was a ghillie suit. I’m guessing he probably wore one as a SEAL. My take was that he was defending the ranch against another potential attack because they’d just brought John home from the hospital. I thought it might be a little much but sometimes you just have to stick with what you know.

Thanks. I googled, never heard of it before.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Thanks. I googled, never heard of it before.

A ski area near me used to do a haunted Halloween experience and when you got off the lift at the summit they had guys in ghillie suits come out of the trees to scare you. They are terrifying in person. Especially in the dark because you see movement but can’t make out a shape 😳

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

Yes, a ghillie suit is used by snipers to blend in with terrain.

The buckle bunnies were rather useless when the militia attacked; blonde just screaming huddled in a ball; if wanna live in the bunkhouse, make yourself useful or GTFO. And take woe is me Walker with you.

• Love 9

Ok. I'm admitting I'm obsessive about this damn show. Might be due to the overlong damn pandemic induced wait between seasons. I just finished my 3rd watch of the premiere which brought some thoughts of possibility as to what may be in store. I certainly might be way off base here,, but I'm currently thinking the attacks didn't all come from a single source.

I'm thinking Jamie didn't have anything to actually do with the attack on John. I'm going to predict it was his criminal father who decided that all on his own (and Jamie currently has no idea Daddy did this). Got his buddy from prison to put the hit together and somehow presented it to  Market Equities (Roarke / Willa) for funding. (Or maybe the money came from elsewhere). He's already playing Jamie. Sees him as a ticket to the good life for himself. Already has Jamie buying that new property -- telling him he shouldn't buy the horses he wants to because of' "dad" is planning on taking the place for himself and continuing to push Jamie to take as much from the Yellowstone as he can.

Poor hapless Jamie. He's such a needy outcast of his own making. So emotionally imbalanced.

I'm also curious to see what ,if anything, happens to Willa since I'm thinking she was behind the bomb sent to Beth.  So far no women have been shown being taken to the train station but she might be the 1st if she sent the package.

Just so so happy this show is back!!😄💘 Even tho' 10 episodes is just plain unfairly stingy. 

Edited by BlueHawk
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree with most of the Beth comments, the only thing I'd add is that you're not a strong woman or a badass if you bully people knowing that everyone's fear of your Daddy will save your ass.

Beth is like the kid on the play ground that runs up and taunts another kid, smacks them, and then scrambles to hide behind the nearest adult. The adult in this case being the patriarch who will kill you if you dare even talk back to his darling daughter. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 15