Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Flower Power

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Well, at least the judges seem to have backed off from insisting that everything be “sexy.”  Not every look has to invite assessments of the wearer’s f*ckability. 

Heidi K hears you and does not appreciate this comment!  😂

• LOL 16
  • Love 2

There isn't a single thing that seems authentic about Elaine Welteroth. It is as though she were created for this show by someone who thinks they are on the cutting edge but is just out of step.

That Burkha was a monstrosity. The fact that the judges liked that ridiculous house coat underscores their weird tastes.

Darren may be a bit green for this competition but that Burkha or clown suit should have sent those designers home before him

• Love 11
On 11/4/2021 at 11:17 PM, CraftyHazel said:

Sometimes I really miss Michael Kors and his refusal to blow smoke up a designer’s ass

What I wouldn't give for a snarky Michael Kors bon mot regarding Sabrina's floral vagina.......

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
On 11/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, gingerella said:

YES! Was it reminiscent of St. John? Yes it was. But Aaron used the pattern in a completely different way to anyone else and I thought it accentuated the flowers so much more than an all-over pattern. It was sophisticated and so well put together.

Which brings me to that red plastic shower curtain schmata that they all lost their collective shit over. That? Was a fucking travesty and I just don't know what the hell they're seeing this year. It's like a George Costanza Backwards Day experience every week.

I liked Aaron's too, but only from the waist down. The pants were great; the bandeau and puff sleeve topper not so much. I think the whole thing would have been killer if he had made a jumpsuit with just the flowers on the bottom.

Weirdly, I also think Katie could have been ok with her original jacket if she had just put some solid cigarette pants on the bottom. Also, I liked Zayden's dress and print if it just had two more inches on the bottom......

This week Coral was robbed of a top 3 spot by that red monstrosity. Speaking of.....

I cannot fathom what they loved about that shower curtain sleepwear. It didn't even fit the brief for "high end fashion look"! I was sure it was in the bottom. I honestly thought it was the worst thing on the runway by a mile. But no. Sometimes I cannot believe what the judges like. It seems this has happened more since bringing on Elaine and Brandon. I question their taste level (see what I did there? ;-p )

I am already tired of Octavio's garbage bags. When will the judges ding him for being a one way monkey? His print was probably my favorite though.

Once again, I cannot fault the one sent home. Why is it ok for him to continue to hit on Christian? So inappropriate and gross! It was past time for him to get gone. Next up: Katie the Kindergarten designer......

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I cannot fathom what they loved about that shower curtain sleepwear. It didn't even fit the brief for "high end fashion look"! I was sure it was in the bottom. I honestly thought it was the worst thing on the runway by a mile. But no. Sometimes I cannot believe what the judges like.

Somehow they fell over themselves because of the way it "floated," as far as I can tell. BFD. Lightweight material with a sort of parachute shape does that if the model has her moves down. (Did anyone else here love those parachute games in elementary school gym class? Do kids still do that?)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Gigi was pregnant or had just given birth.  Personally I think she's really cute.

Isn’t the baby over a year ago?   She’s unique looking which is cool.  

On 11/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, DEL901 said:

Might be post baby weight. 

Agree about the sob stories.   And they are everywhere on reality tv and even the Olympics.  The winner is supposed to the most accomplished, not the one who has the saddest back story. 

Do you think American Idol started that?   It’s like every competition show does this. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:18 PM, Passing Strange said:

It's hard to tell when we don't know much about them, but I'm thinking Octavio's model isn't 100 pounds overweight, so not morbidly obese. Actually, I think it's the show that's not woke. Showing off clothes is a matter of proportion and many of us people of size are short waisted. So, yes, the designer with the large model is sometimes at a disadvantage. If the show wants to be inclusive, I wish they'd do some challenges with only plus size models and make sure they're all the same size, no five eleven size twelves competing against five nine size eighteens.

I did like both Octavio's and Bones' designs. They didn't stuff the models into sausage casings and proclaim they were complementing their beautiful curves, as happened in Making the Cut with really crappy results. It's possible to design beautiful clothes that flatter big women, but that's a rare skill set and not yet common in people who want to design for the runway.

When the models came in to the showroom it looked like the model was much bigger and disproportionate to the other plus size models. Maybe it was the jumpsuit she was wearing but she did not look comparable to the other plus size models that had proportionate hips to breasts to waist.  

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 3:06 PM, AZChristian said:

Don't want to brag, but I'd never heard of Gigi before this episode.  LOL.

Me neither. I wasn't impressed. 

I thought there were lots of interesting ideas for prints and some of them turned out really well, but then the finished product not so much. I didn't think Darren's was the worst on the runway (or the worst he's ever put out) but he's in the bottom every single week so it was time for him to go, thank God! Katie has to be next as she is on the bottom more often that she is safe. Her outfit's top looked like a clown top with the scalloped leather collar. The skirt was a massive improvement on the pants she was going to make but that top was AWFUL.  Sabrina, the Afghani designer, her outfit was not great, but since this was her first time on the bottom, and she embraced the challenge by going all in on her floral print (minus that pink detached skirt), I would have been not happy if she had been kicked off. I am still interested in seeing what else she can do. I did not like the top 3 looks (although I liked Kristina's print) and the winning look did not embrace the floral print challenge at all. To me, letting her win with such a subdued print is akin to someone winning Chopped and not using one of the basket ingredients. 

• Love 7

I'll pass on the Mimi-centric separate thread. The only worse model trend than the absolute fawning over Mimi this season and last (notice how the non-Mimi, plus sized model who led them through the door for one of the fittings was NOT given the slo-mo, zoom-in that Mimi is always given) was the plus-sized model from a few season back who the producers thought was so gifted that they would interview her about what she thought of the fashions. Hell, they even had some of the contestants bowing before her and asking her input on their designs. 

I just love how we are supposed to laud PR for some body positivity blah blah blah when really all they've done is add some hot models that weigh more. To me the ratio between attractive: less-attractive models is WAY higher in the plus sized bunch. Employ some models with flabby guts, small breasts, and flat behinds. 

Elaine is no Heidi, but Heidi on her current show is no Heidi so I don't know. 

I was hoping we were leaving all the sermons behind once the "I'm designing for my people" episode ended but it seems PR has some life lessons in store for us. 

• Love 4

Of course the designers want Mimi or DD.  They have no figures at all, are stick straight, no boobs and so designers can hang anything on them.

PR should stop the self-congratulatory patting themselves on the back regarding how "inclusive" they are by including plus-sized models.  There is no attempt I've seen on any designers part to actually do something other than make a bigger size garment, regardless of how it's often the exact opposite of what is needed to flatter a bigger figure.  The last time I think that happened was Uli in S3 who designed a nice outfit in the Mom challenge.

Stuffing a plus-size into a too tight skirt or dress just makes them look like sausages and that's all I can see.  I'm an apple plus-size myself, and wouldn't be caught dead in anything I've seen that's supposed to be for a plus-size.  THEY ARE ALL WAY TOO TIGHT, ugh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

Remember when there was a competition and prize for the winning model? I miss the button bag, but that was when the models were all six foot rails......

My all time favorite models from this show were Nazri and Thijin (not sure of spelling for either name). I think DD has great attitude and a fierce walk.

• Love 3

Bye Alex Shibutani  Darren. Your clothes were more unmemorable than the rest of your cohorts, which isn’t saying much, considering how much blah work there was. Katie is next - I finally figured out her celeb doppelgänger- Susan St James, Kate and Allie era. 

Four weeks in and I still can’t separate who these folks are, except none of them made anything pretty or exciting. Why not give it to navy & lilac squares in a floral challenge?

I’m glad they explained who Gigi was because, while I knew the name, I did not know the face…

• Love 5
On 11/8/2021 at 4:49 PM, Bluesky said:

Do you think American Idol started that?   It’s like every competition show does this. 

In American Television contestants crying about how bad their lives were can be traced back to Queen for a Day, a contest show from the late 50s.  The point of the show was for each contestant to describe her horrible life and the audience decided who had it worst and she became Queen for a Day and got a washing machine or a refrigerator as a prize.

It's our heritage folks.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 11/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, AZChristian said:

Don't want to brag, but I'd never heard of Gigi before this episode.  LOL.

I never heard of her until a contestant from Hannah Brown's Bachelorette season (Tyler?) dated her for a while.

• Love 1

IMO most of these designers were not served well by their prints becoming huge when transferred to fabric.  The winning look's "whisper" of a print was just more practical to use.

This also happened years ago when the designers drew their own prints.  Mondo did well because his print was manageable.

• Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 7:25 AM, Lamb18 said:

I never heard of her until a contestant from Hannah Brown's Bachelorette season (Tyler?) dated her for a while.

Didn't Mikey Day's kid change all his contacts to Gigi Hadad? So whoever called him or texted him, it was from Gigi Hadad.

Saturday Night Live during the from home episodes

• LOL 1
On 11/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Princess Gigi apparently thought her role was to blather a lot of nonsense all over the runway last night. If the judges kissed her ass any more she'd have bruises. Seriously, was she high?  She seemed to think that her words were THE words that needed to be heard at all times. It was very offputting, IMO. She is not a designer, she is just the daughter of uberwealthy parents who set her up as a fashion model and now everyone kisses her ass and tells her she is the bestest ever. I just can't with her. At all.

I couldn't agree more about the sob stories on the runway and throughout the show. I don't want to hear another word about missing of babies, Afghanistan, difficult journeys, coming out stories -- none of that. There's a fine line between getting some background on a contestant and playing little violins in the background incessantly to up the chances of a sympathy vote.

I miss the old Nina who was scathing when it mattered.  It's like she's anesthetized. And no more chatty guest judges please. It's not about you, dear.

Love your post, especially your takedown of Brandon's VERY GOOD FRIEND Ms. Hadid.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2021 at 6:17 PM, meep.meep said:

In American Television contestants crying about how bad their lives were can be traced back to Queen for a Day, a contest show from the late 50s.  The point of the show was for each contestant to describe her horrible life and the audience decided who had it worst and she became Queen for a Day and got a washing machine or a refrigerator as a prize.

You brought to mind the last moments of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, where the voiceover of Chuck Barris says:

I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1