Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Fort

Bort
  • Start Topic

Eve, Levi and the rest of the search party explore a mysterious fort that raises more questions than answers. With the help of a new ally, Gavin and Izzy embark on a dangerous and unauthorized mission to save their family despite government warnings.

Airdate: Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021

Those people were idiots for just walking into a village when they didn't know who lived there. They're lucky they got out alive. Plus, it is just rude to walk into other people houses. 

I am really curious about these people down there. There's quite a lot of them, more than the seven that went down on the previous expedition. I wonder if there were more people that went exploring or if they teamed up with actual native people. I also wonder if the people who went down three years ago landed earlier in time and managed to build a town and have those kids.

These DHS people are hard to believe. They sent a plane down three years ago and the people never came back. They sent a drone down and it got lost. They sent down Levi and he crashed. But they are somehow so sure that this next plane will make it? What reason to they have to believe that?

It would have been more dramatic to have Eve's letter be after she's been down there X months and then spend the season leading up to it. We already know she stays down there for 5 days. I am not even going to question how they found this letter. Plus, all she wrote was that the light started to close. How do they know it is totally closed by tomorrow night?

I am glad Lily admitted she was a kidnap victim and they can get her away from creepy not-sister.

Scott is still one of my favorite characters, I did not expect that.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 16

This is getting even weirder fast. One group is playing softball and the other is getting chased by people with spears. I guess those mushrooms were enough to fill everyone up if they're playing softball and not, I don't know, looking for food and water, building fires and shelters or just basically trying to survive.

Running seems to be the only thing these people do, although I suppose it has worked for them so far. Why that little blond boy helped them is a big mystery to me. They know about the "sky people" and he completely goes against all the adults in his hut village? That was strange.

I'm starting to dislike a few people, like Josh and the Drug Dealer. Listening to Josh lecture the drop out med student made me hope that Drug Dealer punches him in the face one of these days soon. Drug Dealer is just annoying and he needs to stop messing with my favorite, Stoner guy. Maybe they can find that stupid heroin and put that whole story to bed already.

Stoner guy listing all the ways he could have died while they were tied up in the hut made me laugh.

I feel bad for the daughter the way she was asking perfectly reasonable questions and her dad and the scientist were all like, everything will be fine, nothing is going to go wrong without actually giving her real answers. And if those two women have a plane that doesn't cause an earthquake, why don't they tell everyone else about it? They seem to be able to walk into any of the buildings and swan into the excavation without any problems so why all the secrecy?

• Love 15

One of the men from the expedition three years ago was the latest one inside the stone hand, electrocuted.  So I didn’t think that crew intermingled with the natives.  But I do think one of the three previous sinkholes dropped Northern Europeans into the past. A lot of blond blue eyed people there.  However- I wondered about the high priestess. Was she one of the Mohave crew-the missing fiancée? 
I am trying to wrap my head around the construction site. Which is not where the sinkhole was. Because that’s still an open pit.  So exactly when did that area start getting excavated?  Was it  more than  5 days ago?   Did the government know the sinkhole was going to happen before it did? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I feel bad for the daughter the way she was asking perfectly reasonable questions and her dad and the scientist were all like, everything will be fine, nothing is going to go wrong without actually giving her real answers. And if those two women have a plane that doesn't cause an earthquake, why don't they tell everyone else about it? They seem to be able to walk into any of the buildings and swan into the excavation without any problems so why all the secrecy?

I think they know the plane will cause an earthquake and don't care. First woman because she wants to get to her fiancé. I'm not sure the second woman's reason yet.

Because when asked why they were so confident, all she did was show them a letter saying they have 24 hours to save them. They never said why they think it will work. Gavin's an idiot if he does it.

• Love 3

Here's the million dollar question -- when did they dig up that letter in a bottle from Eve ?  

Before the LaBrea sinkhole formed ?  1 day after ?  2 days after ?

All the people in the village spoke English -- why didn't someone ask a few more pointed questions ?

That kid spoke perfect English with a modern accent.  Were these people from sinkholes 1-3 that preceded the Mojave sinkhole ?
Where were these other sinkholes located ?  How long ago did these sinkholes occur ?  Because if they have grandchildren, it's gotta be 30-40 years or even more.

ETA: @mythoughtis beat me to it about the timing of the excavation.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I think they know the plane will cause an earthquake and don't care. First woman because she wants to get to her fiancé. I'm not sure the second woman's reason yet.

Because when asked why they were so confident, all she did was show them a letter saying they have 24 hours to save them. They never said why they think it will work. Gavin's an idiot if he does it.

Oh he will do it.  Because the powers  that  be want the love triangle  to be complete in 10,000 BC

2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Here's the million dollar question -- when did they dig up that letter in a bottle from Eve ?  

All the people in the village spoke English -- why didn't someone ask a few more pointed questions ?

That kid spoke perfect English with a modern accent.  Were these people from sinkholes 1-3 that preceded the Mojave sinkhole ?
Where were these other sinkholes located ?  How long ago did these sinkholes occur ?  Because if they have grandchildren, it's gotta be 30-40 years or even more.

I beat you by only a couple of minutes/ so it’s a tie. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

I'm still trying to figure out how 'grandfather' electrocuted at least 2 people ?  What did he use ?

And why the dead guy in the hut still seemed to be wearing his original clothes ? 
Or why that rather clean looking radio was just laying next to his corpse ? 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still trying to figure out how 'grandfather' electrocuted at least 2 people ?  What did he use ?

And why the dead guy in the hut still seemed to be wearing his original clothes ? 
Or why that rather clean looking radio was just laying next to his corpse ? 

And why he wasn’t  mummified? How long has he been dead? Of course, just because the Mohave sinkhole was three years ago doesn’t mean they landed exactly three years further  in the past than this sinkhole.   Or that time passes exactly the same way then as now. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 2

These have to be the least curious time travelers I’ve ever seen. An entire fortified settlement of English speaking people in what otherwise seems like 10,00 BC and they just shrug after not being killed.

BTW, the non-native natives had amazing boots.

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Right?  What possible reason could they have for not asking any questions?

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, izabella said:

Right?  What possible reason could they have for not asking any questions?

Well, the spears and arrows are a pretty good reason to not question the old man. But they should have been grilling those kids like crazy. 

• Love 6

How convenient that the message in the bottle shows up just before the 'heroes' have to go through the Aurora Borealis light because it is starting to close after 5 days. Do the folks in charge know there is a 5 day window because of the other sinkholes? I get the one wanting to find her fiance after 3 years of her being stuck in the past and driving a Flintstonemobile. Where do they get the idea that the plane they built is going to work? The daughter will be on her own if her dad disappears in to 10,000 BC. Take her with you so the whole family and the love triangle can be together.

These folks haven't thought about building any sort of shelter or do anything in the five days? My feet would be killing me if I was walking around in boots or heels or whatever I was wearing when the sinkhole happened. No finding water, no attempts to find supplies for basic personal hygiene? The mushrooms aren't going to last and they do need to find some food sources. Too bad that the plane or drone can't drop a bunch of food seeds and other food type products.

Why would you walk in to an empty town and check out the huts and not do some surveillance first? Who are those other people besides the one dead guy from 3 years ago? Who is the little boy who helped them? Why did he help them? Folks are being attacked with spears, the dude from 3 years ago was electrocuted. Wouldn't they just want to talk about how they got there and when? Why is there a large population of folks who have somehow made it through some sort of time/space wormhole to that point in the past? Are they real people? Are they robots? They all do seem to speak modern English. Wouldn't you ask the kid why his parents and other folks have spears, how they made them, where they found metal to use for them (unless they are wooden ones), where they got the materials to build the huts, why the hand is on the hut. What year is it for them?

The stoner guy is entertaining. The drug dealer can be eaten by something soon. What does he plan to do with the drugs there? No one has any money, no one can trade anything for anything. He's going to sell it to the hut people or others they have yet to find? At least the strange girls' story is now out. Maybe the religious cult has something to do with them being there.

The science folks should be informing Gavin about any other records of other sinkholes over X years. They could be finding all sorts of folks from various time periods.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Well, the spears and arrows are a pretty good reason to not question the old man. But they should have been grilling those kids like crazy. 

I want to know why the people with the spears didn't ask the new arrivals any questions.  They were ready to kill them...why?   Then Missing Fiancee Leader says to let them go.  Why did she do that without any questions or discussion or anything at all?   Wouldn't she want to know how they got there and if they have a way to leave, or if more people were coming, or something?

• Love 15
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't either. He and Chiké are my favorites. I used one real name, Scott and Ty. I love Ty and Eve's friendship so far.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 3

We have no food, no water, very poor shelter, so....let's play softball!  Next trip, raid the Big 5 for something useful, for pete's sake.

Now that Lily's secret is out, she has no reason to fear the older woman, if Ty can get her to break off.  She needs to be outed in front of the group so her power is gone.  Same with Heroin Hank.  He needs to be exiled.

If I lived down there, I would find a long, stout stick that I could use to whap everyone who spouts off with some stupid, attempted snarky remark in response to something someone else says.  The dialogue is really getting tiresome, even for people who behave that way on the surface.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the abilities of Clan Stone Age.  They live in this environment, yet they couldn't hit the intruders with arrows from 50' away.  And the two teens outran them.  Hmmph.

So, at least several of the drop-ins die over the course of the season.  How exactly do their bones migrate up 20,000' in 10,000 years?  And how does that hole fill up?  This is going to shake up the paleontology field really bad.  And I love the security around the dig.  Because nobody in present day LA has a drone, right?

Levi:  "I couldn't tell you about the project because it was classified."  Me:  "Who the fuck she going tell?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Levi:  "I couldn't tell you about the project because it was classified."  Me:  "Who the fuck she going tell?"

In addition, whomever  she tells  already knows that sinkholes exist and planes and drones  crash when they fly through them. She also already knows they aren’t the first stranded people down there.  

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Now that Lily's secret is out, she has no reason to fear the older woman, if Ty can get her to break off.  She needs to be outed in front of the group so her power is gone.  Same with Heroin Hank.  He needs to be exiled.

Yeah, I can see that hiding the info from Heroin Hank in the first place was a good idea, but now that he knows, tell the whole camp! Take away his power.

44 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

If I lived down there, I would find a long, stout stick that I could use to whap everyone who spouts off with some stupid, attempted snarky remark in response to something someone else says.  The dialogue is really getting tiresome, even for people who behave that way on the surface

Every time Mr Panic Pants would freak out at the drop of a hat, I was hoping for someone with a long stout stick, too. Calm the hell down, my dude, you are Not Helping.

So, was the entire fort empty and then the ENTIRE POPULATION returned from wherever and the kids went to hang out at school / daycare? Like, NO ONE stayed behind? No feeble grandparents watching over babies too young to walk far while the gang was out hunting/gathering/farming? No sentries to make sure more modern-day weirdos who fell through a light in the sky didn't wander into town like Goldilocks (complete with Failed Pre-Med eating their "porridge")? Just... ghost town to kindergarten and town guard in five minutes?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

If I lived down there, I would find a long, stout stick that I could use to whap everyone who spouts off with some stupid, attempted snarky remark in response to something someone else says.  The dialogue is really getting tiresome, even for people who behave that way on the surface.

This is one of my biggest complaints about TV shows in general. I live in Canada where almost everyone I meet is generally polite and friendly. I was nervous a couple of years ago going on a three week road trip in the US, after what I'd seen on TV. So guess what? Almost every person we met on the trip was. .. generally polite and friendly. 

So why are so many TV people snarky, uncooperative and hostile? You'd swear this was everyone's default mood. But in my experience, real life doesn't bear this out. With some exceptions, obviously. 

• Love 13

Most eye-rollingest moment: Wolf Snack convinces Pre Med Cover Girl to go back into the fort they just escaped from followed by angry hoards with spears and arrows.
Like they were really going to "help" the others escape? Help how?
At least now we know why she couldn't hack the academic rigors of Med School. But how did she get through elementary and high school?

7 hours ago, izabella said:

Missing Fiancee Leader says to let them go.  Why did she do that without any questions or discussion or anything at all?   Wouldn't she want to know how they got there and if they have a way to leave, or if more people were coming, or something?

Missing Fiancee Leader must've felt really sorry for Eve having not gotten out of the rock door in time just because of the foolishness of her kid and her ex lover.

8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yes. Scott the Stoner Archaeology Student is the only redeemable character (besides, perhaps, Ty the Therapist, and a few of the young children).
For once in TV land when someone fighting someone else said "Pick up the gun and shoot him!" they did not pick up the gun and shoot anyone. Scott The Hero.
IRL he'd die "a hero's death," but on TV, if TPTB deem him a ratings magnet, he's safe.
I dunno. He's the wrong type for the Network bigwigs. 

8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

"Grandfather" could be an honorific for an elder, like how in Hawaii everyone over a certain age is Auntie or Uncle.
But the kid speaking modern English without an accent was annoying because I kept wondering if that means the kid arrived there within a year or two, or just that we are supposed to ignore kid accents on the show. 
All I ask for is an owners manual for the show. Is that too much to ask for? Yes. 

6 hours ago, nokat said:

I love Ty and Eve's friendship so far.

Oh, SciFi Leading Lady Eve With The Rapunzel Hair, forget about the 2 dime-store novel, bodice-ripper cover models (aka hubby and lover) and go be Mom with Ty as Dad to your new found family. Just be sure to lay off the cult leader jazz.

Speaking of cults, I'm pretty sure Lilly's kidnappers were just freelancing psychos, and that Veronica was kidnapped when she was younger too. I've already seen the SVU and CSI and Criminal Minds-esque episodes. Also, it seems like they're flipping the religious part on its head, because Lilly says she was abducted from a Bible camp, so it's probably her own bible; we never see Veronica reading.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wolf Snack convinces Pre Med Cover Girl to go back into the fort they just escaped from followed by angry hoards with spears and arrows.
Like they were really going to "help" the others escape? Help how?
At least now we know why she couldn't hack the academic rigors of Med School. But how did she get through elementary and high school?

Wolf Snack and Pre Med Cover Girl. I want you sitting next to me when I watch this show. That's the real fun. There are shows where you watch them kind of like you can't help but look at a car accident.

I don't think any of these people have survival skills.

• LOL 9
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

For me it’s not so much that they didn’t ask questions to these people given their hostility, but they get back to safety and they barely talk about them TO EACH OThER. Eve immediately switches back to quizzing Levi about his “feelings”. 

Priorities!

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, nokat said:

I don't think any of these people have survival skills.

I know that most of them are from LA and as "city folk" are being stereotyped as not having survival skills, but in reality there are probably a lot of people from LA and surrounding area who regularly hike and do other outdoor activities (including camping). So there should be at least a couple of people who fell down the sinkhole (besides ex-Seal doctor and Eve) who can help find water and food and contribute other survival skills. But that would take the focus away from the characters the writers want to focus on, so we will likely never see such people in this group.  

• Love 6

I admit they surprised me; I did not see Lily being kidnapped as the reason why. I like that Child Whisperer was like, yeah, break time when he heard that.

I don't blame them for having a fence; if I lived around smilodons I would, too. But c'mon, there were no adults at the fort? Yeah, no.

And why were they in instant murder mode? SOMEONE should have been all "are you here to rescue us?!"

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, mertensia said:

And why were they in instant murder mode? SOMEONE should have been all "are you here to rescue us?!"

Well, in one instance it was an armed heroin dealer and a controlled substance addict who were breaking into their cave.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Or at least ask questions about where they came from and why before murdering, in case they were "scouts" from an enemy group planning to attack. And if some or all of the villagers were originally from another sinkhole and from relatively modern times (or know about sinkholes and modern times from the older generation), they should have recognized that the clothing the "invaders" were wearing meant they were also probably from a sinkhole and modern times and wanted to know what happened to them.

The only reason I can think for "murder first, don't ask questions" is if the villagers were previously attacked by another group of people from modern times who fell through a sinkhole. But even then, why not tie them up and ask questions before murdering.    

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
42 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Well, in the instance it was an armed heroin dealer and a controlled substance addict who were breaking into their cave.

In that case I can understand the attack, but they didn't murder them--they just tied them up (maybe with the intention of murdering later). So they could have questioned them before murdering. And with the rest of the group (who were all unarmed, I think), why not capture those who had not already crawled through the wall and ask them questions? 

• Love 3

The dialog continues to be comic-book poor, the acting very stiff, but this show is definitely delivering on the thrills.  However...if the previews for the next episode are indicative of a shift to the Lost-style narrative of nothing making any sense, the next episode will be my last.  Not everything has to be a mystery that leads to another mystery, and these cardboard characters seem to know everything at once yet know nothing at all - they've been there for 3, 4 days and the rip in the sky is closing, and yet they all know that means their fate is sealed and they will be trapped in this 10000 BC time and place?  Come on, show.  None of this stuff is making any sense already...please don't go the awful Lost route in the story-telling.

Edited by CainF
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

In that case I can understand the attack, but they didn't murder them--they just tied them up (maybe with the intention of murdering later). So they could have questioned them before murdering. And with the rest of the group (who were all unarmed, I think), why not capture those who had not already crawled through the wall and ask them questions? 

Yes, and we’d find out more about this group and their history.  Instead we're stuck on the drama going on in present day LA with the now revealed dig site and closing light.   There could be entire episode about meeting the people in this group which I’m sure we won’t get.  This show would be much more interesting if they focused more on what’s going on in 10,000 BC than in present day LA.  I don’t care about psychic Dad and Izzy anymore as well as whatever drama they’re trying to generate by sending another plane into the sinkhole.  

• Love 3

So one person writes in a letter that the sky is closing TOMORROW! and she knows this how? Maybe the earth is just rotating like it always does and it appears to be closing but nothing anywhere says it really WILL close and even if it does, who says it will never reopen again? Like everyone knows all about that ... how? Maybe Gavin's a pre-cog now too?

The tribe of murderous perfect-English speakers cracked me up. As did the sacrificial building made of perfectly formed concrete. I'd like to ask those angry guys (did we even see any women?) or at least the blond kid where they got all the materials to build multi huts, cut logs for the big fence (with a gate no one bothered to close so anyone or anything could walk into the compound), where they got metal and tools for shaping those spear points and, finally, what's for dinner.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

This show has such an intriguing premise and such potential, but it is written so badly. In this episode alone:

• Why does Aldrich think shutting off the radar is enough to prevent the military from shooting down the experimental plane Gavin is supposed to fly? Is it an invisible plane?
  • How does Lucas think he's going to get 250K worth of heroin back to the future? Does he think a rescue crew is going to just let him haul a shit ton of drugs back with him?
  • A softball game? Are you fucking kidding me? Are you telling me these people have absolutely nothing better to do in the midst of what has the be the most existential crisis in their entire lives? 
  • How many people does Gavin think he can rescue with this plane? It doesn't look like it has room for more than half a dozen passengers. And if the light is closing how does he plan to get back?
  • People can just waltz right into this super secret excavation site with no questions asked? No ID badges or credentials or guards or anything? The security protocols on this show are shockingly lax. 
  • Since the village people speak perfect English I assume they are fellow time travelers who fell down some other sinkhole. So why so hostile to newcomers? Wouldn't they be thrilled to see a possible rescue party? Why would anyone want to take their crappy village? Honestly, Munchkinland had better infrastructure.

This show would be so much better if they just (deliberately) made it a comedy. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Melina22 said:

This is one of my biggest complaints about TV shows in general. I live in Canada where almost everyone I meet is generally polite and friendly. I was nervous a couple of years ago going on a three week road trip in the US, after what I'd seen on TV. So guess what? Almost every person we met on the trip was. .. generally polite and friendly. 

So why are so many TV people snarky, uncooperative and hostile? You'd swear this was everyone's default mood. But in my experience, real life doesn't bear this out. With some exceptions, obviously. 

Where I am now it is polite to wave to neighbors and chat a bit at the mailbox. This is not true everywhere. I lived for a bit in the Northeast of the US and people were rude to me since I wasn't born and raised there. I've heard people from Europe think we're too friendly but if someone approaches me, I've had lovely conversations. I was near Ontario and visited several times.  Border control wasn't always friendly.

LA isn't NYC where you don't make eye contact.

4 hours ago, Paloma said:

I know that most of them are from LA and as "city folk" are being stereotyped as not having survival skills, but in reality there are probably a lot of people from LA and surrounding area who regularly hike and do other outdoor activities (including camping). So there should be at least a couple of people who fell down the sinkhole (besides ex-Seal doctor and Eve) who can help find water and food and contribute other survival skills. But that would take the focus away from the characters the writers want to focus on, so we will likely never see such people in this group.  

I watch thinking what the hell is wrong with you people? I live in SoCal but grew up on a farm. Half of downtown fell down with you. I saw at least one shovel. Dig a well or find fresh water. You can boil it first so you don't get giardia.  There are lots of plants you can eat, and mushrooms if you know which ones are safe.

I guess that is too boring so we'll walk into a compound and leave the gate open. Nope, we didn't have any contact with direwolves or very large bears that the fence was there for.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

and, finally, what's for dinner.

Not a question you want to ask when they're facing you with bows and arrows...

I wonder if that little village kid is in for a whuppin' for showing them the way out.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Since obviously I wasn't watching closely, did they find the radar that was coming from that hut enclosure?

There was no radar. The dead guy they found electrocuted in the handprint made of rocks had a walkie talkie. That's what Levi's radar was picking up on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Gotta love this show. We can't turn against each other! Let's divide into teams and play softball.

There's ways to go about sneaking around in a village, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Our intrepid heroes sneak in, nearly get killed, sneak in again, and only got out because Cool Priestess Lady let them go.  And then they get back, and SEAL Doctor has question, but that can wait, since Eve and Levi need to talk about their relationship.

As for Gavin and Izzy, they sort of wrote themselves into a corner here.  If he leaves his daughter alone in the modern world or takes her with him to 10,000 years ago, either is irresponsible parenting.  I'm sure they'll find some crazy excuse, and I wouldn't mind.  I like Izzy and the surface world is boring.

While Scott was right about the Tongva, 10,000 YA would have been before their time as well (far more likely the natives could have spoken some ancestral form of Chumash).  I'm curious about the Natives, were there indigenous people there before that previous sinkholers (sinkholies?) blended into or are they all previous sinkhole victims?  I think here would have been a chance for some kind of con-lang.  I get the need to speak English, but it could be a second language among those people.

Ty and Lily were interesting, and I really liked the interaction between the two actors. Kinda figured Lily was kidnapped and I'm guessing Veronica was too, but was brainwashed longer.  Actually kind of curious where this goes.

So the hole in the sky is closing up.  I wonder if that means we'll see less of the modern world.  I'm fine with that.  Also that glass may last a million years, but the cork Eve put in it definitely won't so that letter should not have survived.  But it backs my idea from last week, the above ground world can tie letters to rocks and throw them in the sinkhole.  And throw in some toilet paper while they're at it.  I'm pretty sure they miss that down below.

Also a trivia note, they have bows and arrows, but no atlatls, since they were more useful for hunting megafauna.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
3 hours ago, CainF said:

these cardboard characters seem to know everything at once yet know nothing at all

This line in your post, @CainF, is so much better than any in the script of this show.

That line made me remember this chorus from the Air Supply song--just substitute "crap" for "love" and it fits this show. 

Making love out of nothing at all
Out of nothing at all, out of nothing at all
Out of nothing at all, out of nothing at all
Out of nothing at all
Making love out of nothing at all

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Ty and Lily were interesting, and I really liked the interaction between the two actors. Kinda figured Lily was kidnapped and I'm guessing Veronica was too, but was brainwashed longer.  Actually kind of curious where this goes.

This was actually the only thing in this episode that I found interesting and believable and that made me want to continue watching to find out what they do with Veronica.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lugal said:

As for Gavin and Izzy, they sort of wrote themselves into a corner here.  If he leaves his daughter alone in the modern world or takes her with him to 10,000 years ago, either is irresponsible parenting.  I'm sure they'll find some crazy excuse, and I wouldn't mind.  I like Izzy and the surface world is boring.

I agree they're going to find some excuse to get Izzy there, but intentionally taking her would be by far the more irresponsible option. Even ignoring all the other issues, if her prosthetic gets damaged or needs maintenance, she's screwed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

As for Gavin and Izzy, they sort of wrote themselves into a corner here.  If he leaves his daughter alone in the modern world or takes her with him to 10,000 years ago, either is irresponsible parenting.

Oh, I bet she ends up stowing away on the rescue plane.

Although, it may end up he never gets there. What will be the use of his psychic visions if he's down there too?

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

About the light closing, who’s to say there’s another spot that’s going to open in it’s place?  After all there was the Mojave Sinkhole before the La Brea one.  This group should be exploring the area to see if there’s another way out of there or even go back to the natives to find the woman who let them go to see what she knows.  I’ll be real disappointed in this show if all we get is Gavin and Izzy going in for the rescue and that’s it. 

• Love 6

As an author, I just shake my head at the storytelling opportunities they are squandering so we can "enjoy" endless talks about love triangles and other personal dramas.

You've landed in 10,000 BC. There's a reasonably large group of people. Time to find out who knows what -- who's a cook? a gardener? a forager? Who knows survival and wilderness skills? Who might be able to organize building real shelters, because they have a background in engineering, construction, or architecture? Who knows the stars and can help with location and directions? Who has any kind of medical knowledge (besides the one guy and his daughter). I mean, USE THE SKILLS OF THE GROUP to SURVIVE. Show us how people thrust into a situation like this can figure out how to use their various abilities, or even discover new abilities in a crisis. Demonstrate how the environment is really different from their previous reality -- maybe someone with asthma actually is doing better because of no pollution. Why no encounters or evidence of actual ancient peoples? Wouldn't that be more interesting than wandering around a fort that looks like a Disney World set, where the inhabitants all look like modern people with long hair (and speak perfect English -- how CONVENIENT). Where's the drama of trying to communicate with another civilization? There are so many "normal modern people dropped back in time" storylines that could be explored...

But no, let's play softball... (All I could think of was that strange scene in Twilight, hahah). 

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, MysteryMavin said:

As an author, I just shake my head at the storytelling opportunities they are squandering so we can "enjoy" endless talks about love triangles and other personal dramas.

I've watched a lot of these one or two season shows, and I always start them hoping they will focus on the logical things they never focus on, like all the things you listed in your post.   Every year, they seem to get sillier instead.  But, they are fun, so I keep watching!

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Although, it may end up he never gets there. What will be the use of his psychic visions if he's down there too?

Maybe they’ll work in reverse and he’ll start seeing them all back in LA, giving everyone hope to go on.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

About the light closing, who’s to say there’s another spot that’s going to open in it’s place?  After all there was the Mojave Sinkhole before the La Brea one.  This group should be exploring the area to see if there’s another way out of there or even go back to the natives to find the woman who let them go to see what she knows.  I’ll be real disappointed in this show if all we get is Gavin and Izzy going in for the rescue and that’s it. 

I really don't understand why everyone is panicking, as if this is going to be the last Sinkhole of Green Light ever. Yes, I get that they can't rely on another SoGL (Sinkhole of Green Light) but they know that there was one three years ago. The people in Prehistoric La Brea at least have an inkling that some of these new people aren't from prehistoric times. So why are they acting like this is their only chance?

Once again, a fun episode to snark on. So, not only did Whatsherface and her team locate the EXACT location that the La Brea crew are at right now, they apparently either are super speedsters (possible) or they've known about all of this for a lot longer than five days (more possible) and just have been withholding information for...reasons. Yeah, yeah, I get Team Leader Chick had her entire team go into the green light and she's been looking for them ever since. But lady, maybe sharing this information sooner than five days is better than being intentionally cryptic for no good reason.

Also, not only that, Eve's note wasn't entirely helpful. Damn, I thought it would be fun for the LA crew to get sent a note, but I thought through a Gavision. Not through a fairly pointless note travelling thousands of years where they conveniently locate it in the nick of time, and all it says is that the green light is STARTING to close. And that's it. No other information to help them out, such as the people also co-habitating in the area, or that Pilot Levi made it and he needs parts to fix the plane, or literally ANYTHING that's more helpful than just saying "oh, the light's starting to close." 

I actually would have rather the twist be that the note was 20 years after the La Brea Crew got stranded, indicating that Gavin and Whatsherface's team have failed their mission, prompting them to try something new. I don't know, this show has made the stupidest decisions already. At least my version, although just as stupid, would be more fun to watch.

You know what's also not fun to watch? Wolf Snack and Pre-Med. Damn, and to think I had a little semblance of hope that her telling Wolf Snack that they're at two different life points (high school vs college) and their animosity would steer them toward a negative relationship. But nope, Pre-Med gives in to Wolf Snack because he....gave her a pep talk? Told her to be more Pre-Med and less Stank Face? He didn't even really DO anything to save her, either. They just ran a bunch and then they stumbled upon a crevice to hide in. And then he forced her back to the village, where SHE came up with the idea to distract the villagers with music. 

At least Stoner Scott found a new, more age appropriate, connection with Drug Dealer Tim (I actually don't think his name is Tim, I know it's Lucas or something but Drug Dealer Tim popped into my head before I remembered his actual name so I'm keeping it). I mean, yeah, Drug Dealer is fairly harmless and he hasn't shown himself to be frightening in the slightest. He's more of an annoyance than an actual worry. But at least THEIR scenes were somewhat hilarious.

Though I don't like them bouncing back and forth with Scott either being the village idiot or their history book. I know he can be both, but it seems like they don't know if they want him to be useful or useless.

Ty is great, though. I did enjoy his stuff with Lily, even though THAT side of La Brea should be doing more than playing softball. Idiots, you're still stranded in a place in the past. Start figuring out how you're going to live down there. Seriously. 

Not too surprised at Lily being kidnapped. I'm guessing her not-sister was also kidnapped and has Stockholm Syndrome. I actually would prefer if she ended up being a willing kidnapper. That would be more fun than having to feel sympathy for her, especially since she's been slapping Lily every other episode.

Izzie better be going down with Psychic Dad because the LA plot bores me to tears. Get everyone down to Prehistoric La Brea and let's start seeing them being chased by prehistoric creatures!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I kinda figured she'd end up stowing away or something.  Although maybe his psychic powers will now show them LA in the future.  Or it one-ups and he get telekinetic powers.

3 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

Even ignoring all the other issues, if her prosthetic gets damaged or needs maintenance, she's screwed.

Peg leg?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I kinda figured she'd end up stowing away or something.  Although maybe his psychic powers will now show them LA in the future.  Or it one-ups and he get telekinetic powers.

Peg leg?

Likely to cause all sorts of hip pain and sores. Definitely not a good idea for her to stowaway. 
Better if Izzy starts channeling Psychic Dad after he gets there --'cause psychic visions run in the family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MysteryMavin said:

You've landed in 10,000 BC. There's a reasonably large group of people. Time to find out who knows what -- who's a cook? a gardener? a forager? Who knows survival and wilderness skills? Who might be able to organize building real shelters, because they have a background in engineering, construction, or architecture? Who knows the stars and can help with location and directions? Who has any kind of medical knowledge (besides the one guy and his daughter). I mean, USE THE SKILLS OF THE GROUP to SURVIVE. Show us how people thrust into a situation like this can figure out how to use their various abilities, or even discover new abilities in a crisis. Demonstrate how the environment is really different from their previous reality -- maybe someone with asthma actually is doing better because of no pollution. Why no encounters or evidence of actual ancient peoples? Wouldn't that be more interesting than wandering around a fort that looks like a Disney World set, where the inhabitants all look like modern people with long hair (and speak perfect English -- how CONVENIENT). Where's the drama of trying to communicate with another civilization? There are so many "normal modern people dropped back in time" storylines that could be explored...

Perfectly stated! And I'd also like to see how they deal with the loss of items we take for granted in the modern Western world, such as a steady supply of clean water, medicines (more than just the presumably limited supply from the ambulance; for example, there might be an insulin-dependent diabetic or someone who was being treated for cancer), clothing and shoes, toilet paper (I am fixated on t.p. since the pandemic shortages), and much more. 

• Love 2