Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Fort

Bort
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

If I lived down there, I would find a long, stout stick that I could use to whap everyone who spouts off with some stupid, attempted snarky remark in response to something someone else says.

I'd do that too; then the show would be over in 3 episodes from lack of characters. However, first to go would be Heroin Guy who is so fixated on how much money he's going to make when he's magically shot back up through the light.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lugal said:

I'm curious about the Natives, were there indigenous people there before that previous sinkholers (sinkholies?) blended into or are they all previous sinkhole victims? 

If they're from previous sinkholes, maybe they're upset at the new visitors, because they've developed a (ahem...) sinkholier-than-thou attitude.

I'll show myself to the door.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

You know what's also not fun to watch? Wolf Snack and Pre-Med. Damn, and to think I had a little semblance of hope that her telling Wolf Snack that they're at two different life points (high school vs college) and their animosity would steer them toward a negative relationship. But nope, Pre-Med gives in to Wolf Snack because he....gave her a pep talk? Told her to be more Pre-Med and less Stank Face? He didn't even really DO anything to save her, either. They just ran a bunch and then they stumbled upon a crevice to hide in. And then he forced her back to the village, where SHE came up with the idea to distract the villagers with music. 

It was his idea, her phone.

I did like him calling her out on her hypocrisy regarding his mother leaving her dad in the woods and Riley wanting to leave Eve in the village.

I'm still watching, but rolling my eyes every other scene.  No questions about the natives?  Who I think are from all of the previous sinkholes, who all landed in different times, despite when they actually fell through the sinkhole.  Doesn't explain how they're all in the LA area, tho.  How did the Fiancee get to be a leader?

Scott stood up to Heroin dealer, which was great.  Now all he needs to do is tell everyone back at Camp Do-Nothing that he had tons of smack in the trunk of his car and he threatened to kill him.  They might care...

I understand the point of the softball game - to relax Lily enough to open up to Ty, which it did.  I'm guessing Victoria was also kidnapped and had Stockholm Syndromed with her kidnapper,  which someone else upthread mentioned.

I don't understand the whole "the hole is closing now" based on a letter that never would have survived 10,000 years.  Would have made much more sense if she said "the hole only stays open 6 days, based on previous holes."

The daughter is going to stow away on the plane.  And if Dr. Hide-a-Plane can fly the helicopter, why can't she fly the plane herself?  Helicopters are notoriously harder to fly.

• Love 4

For now I just accept the sheer stupidity of this show, even though I have the same questions as everyone else. I was raised on soap operas, so until I'm bored enough to drop it, which could happen at any time, or until Marlena someone gets possessed by the devil, I'm still in.

I happened to notice this message in the credits, which I thought was interesting: "We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we made this series and their connections to land, sea and community."

Edited by Abra
finally noticed a typo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, MysteryMavin said:

As an author, I just shake my head at the storytelling opportunities they are squandering so we can "enjoy" endless talks about love triangles and other personal dramas.

I can't help wondering if this show would be better if it were on a streaming platform or a premium cable channel. It's just filled with all the tropes networks seem to think need to be in every show: teen romance, love triangles, cartoon villains, mystery on top of mystery on top of mystery, etc. Are the writers hamstrung by demands by network suits, or are they just bad writers because all the good ones work for shows on streaming platforms and premium cable channels?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Lugal said:

Kinda figured Lily was kidnapped and I'm guessing Veronica was too, but was brainwashed longer.  Actually kind of curious where this goes.

Honestly, my first thought given all the talk of Controlling Hyper-Religious Secretive Daddy was "Kidnapped Stockholm sister wives!" 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, madmax said:

I don't understand the whole "the hole is closing now" based on a letter that never would have survived 10,000 years.  Would have made much more sense if she said "the hole only stays open 6 days, based on previous holes."

That would have made much more sense. If they were going with the letter, they should have at least had it be from a few days into the future so she could have written the hole totally closed after X days. Not just that it started to close. Because maybe it just looked like it started to close, but then opened more.

There is no way they could have found that letter unless they already knew what was happening. Most of LA is developed, so they would have had to know the exact area it was buried to find it. Kind of like how Gavin knew where to look for the ring because he saw a vision of the most identifiable rock ever and had happened to see it before. It makes no sense that they could have known where to look. Also, what a coincidence that it was in a place they were able to access it and not in a parking garage.

Also, if below the sinkhole is moving at the same time as above the sinkhole, would they have been able to find the letter before Eve wrote it? It was her fifth night, so they shouldn't have been able to find it until five nights after the sinkhole opened. We know Stoner Guy changed history when he saved the camels, so there was a version of history without them going to 10,000 BC. So Eve should have changed history when she wrote the letter.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Paloma said:

Perfectly stated! And I'd also like to see how they deal with the loss of items we take for granted in the modern Western world, such as a steady supply of clean water, medicines (more than just the presumably limited supply from the ambulance; for example, there might be an insulin-dependent diabetic or someone who was being treated for cancer), clothing and shoes, toilet paper (I am fixated on t.p. since the pandemic shortages), and much more. 

That’s always my pet peeve when watching movies or tv shows in which people travel back into the past. For example, I’ve watched several Chinese dramas in which the heroine ends up back in the Qing Dynasty. Never once once does she bitch about the lack of of toilets, feminine hygiene products, etc or how smelly people are. I would love to see that.😆

• Love 8
12 hours ago, nokat said:

I watch thinking what the hell is wrong with you people? I live in SoCal but grew up on a farm. Half of downtown fell down with you. I saw at least one shovel. Dig a well or find fresh water. You can boil it first so you don't get giardia.  There are lots of plants you can eat, and mushrooms if you know which ones are safe.

I saw a pond near the red and white crushed building.  They could boil that water, or, use for bathing???? Go find the sabre tooth tiger and have a barbecue.  Not too keen on eating snake, though I’ve heard it tastes like chicken...

• LOL 1
13 minutes ago, alvajon said:

I saw a pond near the red and white crushed building.  They could boil that water, or, use for bathing???? Go find the sabre tooth tiger and have a barbecue.  Not too keen on eating snake, though I’ve heard it tastes like chicken...

Can you imagine the smell? No bathing or brushing of teeth.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nokat said:

Can you imagine the smell? No bathing or brushing of teeth.

And wearing the same clothes (including underwear) for who knows how long. With all the stress, fear, and literally running for their lives, they must be sweating like crazy. And don't forget Josh being bitten by the direwolf, Riley being pulled under by the serpent, and the group that was lost in a cave having to swim to escape. Yet their clothes and hair all still look pretty clean, and of course the women's makeup is still perfectly intact (I guess they are wearing waterproof makeup).   

• LOL 6
On 10/26/2021 at 7:24 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

This is getting even weirder fast. One group is playing softball and the other is getting chased by people with spears. I guess those mushrooms were enough to fill everyone up if they're playing softball and not, I don't know, looking for food and water, building fires and shelters or just basically trying to survive.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, Dowel Jones said:

We have no food, no water, very poor shelter, so....let's play softball!  Next trip, raid the Big 5 for something useful, for pete's sake.

19 hours ago, MysteryMavin said:

As an author, I just shake my head at the storytelling opportunities they are squandering so we can "enjoy" endless talks about love triangles and other personal dramas.

You've landed in 10,000 BC. There's a reasonably large group of people. Time to find out who knows what -- who's a cook? a gardener? a forager? Who knows survival and wilderness skills? Who might be able to organize building real shelters, because they have a background in engineering, construction, or architecture? Who knows the stars and can help with location and directions? Who has any kind of medical knowledge (besides the one guy and his daughter). I mean, USE THE SKILLS OF THE GROUP to SURVIVE. 

These people have never seen Survivor?  Out-think, out-play, out-last?  Nah, what fun would that be?  The first thing people do on that show is build shelter and get food.  Not these lazy asses. 

On 10/27/2021 at 12:06 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

So, was the entire fort empty and then the ENTIRE POPULATION returned from wherever and the kids went to hang out at school / daycare? Like, NO ONE stayed behind? 

On 10/27/2021 at 6:24 AM, mertensia said:

I don't blame them for having a fence; if I lived around smilodons I would, too. But c'mon, there were no adults at the fort? Yeah, no.

How convenient that the "natives" only set the gate guard after everyone was back!

On 10/27/2021 at 12:06 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

Yeah, I can see that hiding the info from Heroin Hank in the first place was a good idea, but now that he knows, tell the whole camp! Take away his power.

Scott is so dumb.  Why not just tell the Main Cast "This guy is a drug dealer who threatened to kill me!"?  But Drug Dealer Dave has THICK Plot Armor!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, izabella said:

I want to know why the people with the spears didn't ask the new arrivals any questions.  They were ready to kill them...why?   Then Missing Fiancee Leader says to let them go.  Why did she do that without any questions or discussion or anything at all?   Wouldn't she want to know how they got there and if they have a way to leave, or if more people were coming, or something?

That really bugged me too.  I am afraid this show is going to be like The Walking Dead, where every time they meet up with a group of people, they're all evil and run by psychos.  Why is everybody's first response to meeting someone is to kill them?  Especially since they clearly had modern clothes, they should have been curious about them.

• Love 8

I am kind of enjoying the show, in a "who cares?" way. it makes me laugh more than it makes me cringe, so that's a positive. 

The sinkers are way too clean and groomed. Seriously, 5 days without a change, more or less without shelter, not a lot of food, and they look really good.

The "not-really-natives" is another TV go-to trope. Must have a group of people who look savages but it is all by choice, and one of them is the leader of everyone, and they have to dress in animal skin. Oh, and their huts are so clean, I wonder who finished the floors...

I actually like the direction they seem to be taking, the possibility of communication between the two worlds. Now Gavin can go there, then put a message in a bottle for Izzy, which will be found 10,000 years later while they search the restricted area. They should plan in advance,  where to drop the bottle, so she can find it easily. Of course, I have to suspend all pretense of quasi reality to enjoy such plot, but I think it can give us a couple of silly/fun episodes.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I am kind of enjoying the show, in a "who cares?" way.

I'm also watching in a pretty casual way.  So I'll just ask this straight up.  Are we supposed to know who the woman leader of the spear people is?  She looked familiar, but I'm not sure who she's supposed to be.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I'm also watching in a pretty casual way.  So I'll just ask this straight up.  Are we supposed to know who the woman leader of the spear people is?  She looked familiar, but I'm not sure who she's supposed to be.

My guess is she is the Missing Fiancee of the DHS woman who was lost in the Mohave sinkhole a few years ago.  That's why DHS lady is so eager to send jets and people down a sinkhole into 10,000 BC. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

the possibility of communication between the two worlds. Now Gavin can go there, then put a message in a bottle for Izzy, which will be found 10,000 years later while they search the restricted area. They should plan in advance,  where to drop the bottle, so she can find it easily. Of course, I have to suspend all pretense of quasi reality to enjoy such plot, but I think it can give us a couple of silly/fun episodes.

I hope they do this👆 routine note-in-a-bottle bit, but what about:

On 10/27/2021 at 3:24 PM, Lugal said:

that glass may last a million years, but the cork Eve put in it definitely won't so that letter should not have survived. 

?

36 minutes ago, izabella said:

My guess is she is the Missing Fiancee of the DHS woman who was lost in the Mohave sinkhole a few years ago.

Oh, I definitely agree - this was my first thought.

I was waiting for Kong to show up and was disappointed.

The show is dumb but entertaining and I have a couple of "to be fair" points:

The Living Here but Not Indigenous People - were at least acknowledged on the show to be white and English speaking, so are obviously those who disappeared through various other wormholes.

Softball game - I did like this because Brain Tumor Ty suggested it to get Younger Sister to open up.  Yes, they have other more important things to do but hey there's no sense of urgency and BTT did have a good reason.  It worked too, in a roundabout way.

/"To be Fair" points end here.

Heroin Son and Perpetually Scowling Mom are highly annoying.  Pre Med Daughter is crushing on Heroin Son and already making excuses for him. 

"Hey let's split up while checking out this apparently empty but definitely inhabited settlement!  Then when we need to get out in a hurry we'll be floundering all over the place looking for each other!"  I'm surprised they didn't run around yelling out each other's names.

Eve and Pilot have yet another conversation about "why did you tell Psychic Dad?"  Good grief.  You know they're going to be blabbing away and JOSSHH is going to overhear.

Still kinda bored by the adventures of Psychic Dad and others in the modern world.

The wigs and animal skins were pretty funny.  Actually, I laughed quite a few times during this episode.  Entertaining!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:
On 10/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, Lugal said:

that glass may last a million years, but the cork Eve put in it definitely won't so that letter should not have survived. 

?

Eve writes the letter and puts it in the bottle and sticks a regular cork in it.  Glass can take up to a million years to break down (assuming the bottle isn't broken) but that cork would rot away in a few years probably so anything can get in there to destroy the letter.  She would have been better sealing it with lead or plastic or something.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, raven said:

Oh, I definitely agree - this was my first thought.

I was waiting for Kong to show up and was disappointed.

The show is dumb but entertaining and I have a couple of "to be fair" points:

The Living Here but Not Indigenous People - were at least acknowledged on the show to be white and English speaking, so are obviously those who disappeared through various other wormholes.

Softball game - I did like this because Brain Tumor Ty suggested it to get Younger Sister to open up.  Yes, they have other more important things to do but hey there's no sense of urgency and BTT did have a good reason.  It worked too, in a roundabout way.

/"To be Fair" points end here.

Heroin Son and Perpetually Scowling Mom are highly annoying.  Pre Med Daughter is crushing on Heroin Son and already making excuses for him. 

"Hey let's split up while checking out this apparently empty but definitely inhabited settlement!  Then when we need to get out in a hurry we'll be floundering all over the place looking for each other!"  I'm surprised they didn't run around yelling out each other's names.

Eve and Pilot have yet another conversation about "why did you tell Psychic Dad?"  Good grief.  You know they're going to be blabbing away and JOSSHH is going to overhear.

Still kinda bored by the adventures of Psychic Dad and others in the modern world.

The wigs and animal skins were pretty funny.  Actually, I laughed quite a few times during this episode.  Entertaining!

I think  you need to join the watching party. Psychic Dad, Scowling Mom, this is so bad it's good.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Paloma said:

And wearing the same clothes (including underwear) for who knows how long. With all the stress, fear, and literally running for their lives, they must be sweating like crazy. And don't forget Josh being bitten by the direwolf, Riley being pulled under by the serpent, and the group that was lost in a cave having to swim to escape. Yet their clothes and hair all still look pretty clean, and of course the women's makeup is still perfectly intact (I guess they are wearing waterproof makeup).   

I also noticed that Eve's phone worked after swimming through the water in the cave, and Riley's cell phone worked after getting pulled under by the snake. I know some phones claim to be waterproof, but I find that hard to believe. Or that phones would still have power on day 5. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I also noticed that Eve's phone worked after swimming through the water in the cave, and Riley's cell phone worked after getting pulled under by the snake. I know some phones claim to be waterproof, but I find that hard to believe. Or that phones would still have power on day 5. 

I could buy the day 5 power because people would presumably be keeping them turned off to preserve power.  I don't buy the waterproof business though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, raven said:

I may just have to start calling the The Others  "Tailies" (© Hurley 2006).

Rhetorical question: Are we already up to Episode 5?
Real question: And has there been an episode in which Eve did NOT yell, "Run!"?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, izabella said:

My guess is she is the Missing Fiancee of the DHS woman who was lost in the Mohave sinkhole a few years ago.  That's why DHS lady is so eager to send jets and people down a sinkhole into 10,000 BC. 

I looked back at the scene where Dr. Nathan told psychic dad and Izzy about her missing fiancee and showed them that photo.  I am guessing that the fiancee is indeed the same person as the  “native" lady leader.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, alvajon said:

I looked back at the scene where Dr. Nathan told psychic dad and Izzy about her missing fiancee and showed them that photo.  I am guessing that the fiancee is indeed the same person as the  “native" lady leader.  

I deduced this too, but how can she be a leader/person listened to in just a few years?  Did the different holes drop people into different times?  And how did they end up from Mohave to LA?  that's a long ass walk.

• LOL 2
46 minutes ago, madmax said:

I deduced this too, but how can she be a leader/person listened to in just a few years?  Did the different holes drop people into different times?  And how did they end up from Mohave to LA?  that's a long ass walk.

If I was in the writers' room and asked this question, I would suggest that they reveal that she was originally from 10K years ago and was able to travel to the future, somehow got educated, and then back again in time. 

But then I'd probably go off on a tangent of how maybe going through the Doctor Whovian crack imbues one with longevity similar to the Doctor's.🤷‍♀️

https://www.google.com/search?q=doctor+who+crack+in+the+universe

image.thumb.png.d122cb08a9cbdb7e24a76d49fb3e91ed.png

Okay. Better idea:
She's discovered via gene research that she is a descendant from the people of that place 10K years ago (Chumash maybe?) and the people from 10K years ago can recognize that somehow, AND, her ancestor is that Grandfather.

BTW. Those red marks do NOT look like handprints to me. They look like Yeti paw prints.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, madmax said:

And how did they end up from Mohave to LA?  that's a long ass walk.

Roughly 100 miles from Mojave to the La Brea area, although they're not specific about which part of the Mojave Desert had the other sinkholes.  Anyway, difficult, but not impossible for a one way trek.  Remember, they wouldn't have to follow precise road directions, and, possibly, if they were handy with tools, etc., they might have been able to negotiate the ancient Los Angeles River.

21 hours ago, rmontro said:

I could buy the day 5 power because people would presumably be keeping them turned off to preserve power.

Or, if they had adapters, the smart ones could drain a car battery over a day, even if the car won't start.  I'll handwave both these possible situations.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, madmax said:

And how did they end up from Mohave to LA?  that's a long ass walk.

Maybe the sink/wormhole is like a funnel, and anything that drops in from the sinkhole comes out in the same general place in 10,000 BC.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2021 at 10:13 PM, rmontro said:

I could buy the day 5 power because people would presumably be keeping them turned off to preserve power.

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Or, if they had adapters, the smart ones could drain a car battery over a day, even if the car won't start.  I'll handwave both these possible situations.

And/or, next season (yeah. right.) they discover that the atmosphere 10K years ago was such that batteries lasted a lot longer (along with antibiotics working faster on wolf bites). 
Lilly will pipe up about how 5K years ago bible people living for well over a hundred years. Nobody will argue with her because they don't want to discourage her from talking.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And/or, next season (yeah. right.) they discover that the atmosphere 10K years ago was such that batteries lasted a lot longer (along with antibiotics working faster on wolf bites). 
Lilly will pipe up about how 5K years ago bible people living for well over a hundred years. Nobody will argue with her because they don't want to discourage her from talking.

TBH, instead of love triangles, I’d rather have an episode with a religious fundamentalist who believes the Earth is only 6000 years old grapple with the idea of it being 12,000 years in the past.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 10/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, MsVixen said:

All I came up with this week was, "Jon Seda preferred this gig over Chicago PD?"

He got to go to Australia, so that's something.  Speaking of which...

On 10/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Abra said:

I happened to notice this message in the credits, which I thought was interesting: "We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we made this series and their connections to land, sea and community."

I'm guessing they filmed on Aboriginal lands.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, rr2911 said:

Why is Eve always saying "Run!" whenever they face a hungry animal?  Can't she say anything else?  Come on writers, be more creative!

On 10/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, nokat said:

First it's always hold still, then "run!" If you do that even a chicken or rabbit will chase you. Prey runs. Predators also have their territory, so many of them within 30 square miles is unlikely. I still enjoy the show in all its badness.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:16 PM, shapeshifter said:

Real question: And has there been an episode in which Eve did NOT yell, "Run!"?

This bothers me so much. She is always yelling at people (mostly Josh) to run, and it's usually the worst thing to do. This actually bothers me more than all the other stuff put together.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Lugal said:

He got to go to Australia, so that's something.  Speaking of which...

I'm guessing they filmed on Aboriginal lands.

This is being filmed in Australia?  Then the snake in episode 4 could have been real!  Seems like one can't read an article about Australia without it containing something about a snake!  🐍🐍🐍

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, MsVixen said:

This is being filmed in Australia?  Then the snake in episode 4 could have been real!  Seems like one can't read an article about Australia without it containing something about a snake!  🐍🐍🐍

LOL, I guess I have to cross Australia off my bucket list, since I have a deathly fear of snakes.

• LOL 2
56 minutes ago, Melina22 said:
59 minutes ago, Paloma said:

LOL, I guess I have to cross Australia off my bucket list, since I have a deathly fear of snakes.

How do you feel about giant deadly spiders? 😁

I can't even deal with the tiny, probably non-deadly ones in our basement--I tell my husband come down to kill them, though he insists that are useful because they eat bugs. Basically, I want nothing to do with any creepy-crawlies. 

• LOL 1
On 10/27/2021 at 5:32 AM, Amy Beth said:

For me it’s not so much that they didn’t ask questions to these people given their hostility, but they get back to safety and they barely talk about them TO EACH OThER. Eve immediately switches back to quizzing Levi about his “feelings”. 

Priorities!

If there was one shred of hope since they found her ring, I would be all, “We’ll talk later. Your visions were real. We need a plane engine, bring spare parts, and someone who knows what to do with them, food, and tents and socks and maybe soap and toothpaste. There are modern hostiles in fur getups with spears that tried to kill us maybe from the last top secret mission.”

Then tell the rest of the camp what you saw.  Then unpack what’s going on with the kidnapped girl.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Paloma said:

Paloma. same here!  Ever since a video was published of a snake eating a crocodile.  This happened during a boat cruise in Australia.

• LOL 1

A softball game, really? These people have no survival instincts to speak of. Maybe the lady with the plane will find room for one more and find a survival instructor (with skills comparable to Les Stroud) willing to go on the adventure of a lifetime...