Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

From Diana on CompuServe:

Owing to the constraints both of time and money, they'll be collapsing any number of historical events, omitting some and overlapping others.  Given that it's TV (and that beyond time, money and space, the fact is that most people who watch television do so purely for entertainment, and would get impatient with much detail, and further, would care absolutely nothing for historical accuracy).

You'll see Prestonpans in very good detail, therefore, but you won't see Falkirk at all (or hear it mentioned, save in a very brief VO by Claire as something that happened along the way).   And some events connected with Falkirk do happen, but happen elsewhere.

Matt Roberts just strongly hinted on Twitter  that he will be writing the print shop scene for next season.  I think he writes a good Jamie/Claire (he wrote 209) and is a long time book fan so high hopes if that is true!!!!

Last season her wrote The Gathering, The reckoning, and The Search.  This season he wrote Best Laid Schemes, Je Suis Prest, and Dragonfly in Amber (finale along with Toni Graphia). 

• Love 2

Well, this is cool. Someone said that John Gary Steele -- the show's set designer -- tweeted what looked like a photo of a model of a printing press. Not sure when he did this but it was before the announcement of the renewal of the show, so clearly they've all been working on Season 3 for a while now.

CcNlgQ9XIAAo-Lz.jpg

• Love 7
11 hours ago, morgan said:

Last season her wrote The Gathering, The reckoning, and The Search.  This season he wrote Best Laid Schemes, Je Suis Prest, and Dragonfly in Amber (finale along with Toni Graphia). 

So clearly he should be writing all the episodes then.  Got it.  :P

• Love 1

I am so excited about this! I love the photo, they look perfect to me, and I just can't wait to see them. Ever since the new theme song when we got back to Scotland, I always give a little wave to Bree and Roger in the shot that I assume is of them (the one of a car from a distance and two people walking over towards a lake with maybe a picnic basket). I didn't really care for them in the books until the most recent one, MOBY, but I bet the show will do a great job making them very likable. I mean, look what they did for Murtagh compared to the book.

Lotte Verbeek (Geillis) tweeted that she'll be in the finale. Related to this quote from Ron?? Wait, she wasn't in this book at all so hmmmmm.....

“Definitely in the finale, there’s a storyline that was not in the book, but it’s around one of the characters that is in the book,” Moore hinted. “We expanded on that and broidered on that because it just seemed like it was a great opportunity, it was a lot of fun.”

Geillis (or Gillian) was definitely in the last chapter(s) of Dragonfly, but I can't imagine they're going to cover her entire plot as told in the book. They'd have no time for anything else!

Keep in mind that at this point in the story, everyone but Dougal believes that she is dead and Dougal isn't talking.  It isn't revealed until later that they let her live to have the baby. 

20 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Keep in mind that at this point in the story, everyone but Dougal believes that she is dead and Dougal isn't talking.  It isn't revealed until later that they let her live to have the baby. 

Claire does know the baby survived in the books, Dougal tells her in the cave when he meets her to tell her about Jamie being taken to Wentworth. Dougal didn't give her that information on the show. That's how Claire makes the connection that Roger is Geillis and Dougal's decedent.

I think everyone knew they let her live to have the baby as the pregnancy is what saved her life for a few more months . It's only Dougal (and maybe whoever was needed to make the fake burning  happen ) who knows that she wasn't killed after she had the baby .

55 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Claire does know the baby survived in the books, Dougal tells her in the cave when he meets her to tell her about Jamie being taken to Wentworth. Dougal didn't give her that information on the show. That's how Claire makes the connection that Roger is Geillis and Dougal's decedent.

She doesn't know that Geillis wasn't executed after the baby was born.  Geillis tells her that in Jamaica in the third book.  

1 hour ago, toolazy said:

She doesn't know that Geillis wasn't executed after the baby was born.  Geillis tells her that in Jamaica in the third book.  

Yes, but I think Graska was asking if Claire knows the baby was born. In the book, Claire assumes Geillis is killed, and the child along with her, until Dougal tells her otherwise. On the show, Dougal didn't say peep and no one else has either.

I wondered about this, too.  Last we (and Claire) saw was Geillis being carried off to the pyre.  Before the crowd exited w/ her, one of the judges yelled out something like "You can't kill her, she is with child!!!" But Claire and Jamie were long gone by that point and didn't hear it.  So as far as show Claire knows for now (Dougal could always tell her before he dies), Geillis died with her unborn child.

27 minutes ago, Grashka said:

Glad they are doing Roger - Geillis storyline but I really think Dougal should have mentioned the child (Buck, as we know him) being born and being alive.

We're assuming that they are doing the Roger-Geillis storyline.  They could have them simply searching for and finding Geillis and leave out the whole bit about her being his ancestor.   And if they omit it, I won't be sad - it's one of the implausible coincidences that litter the books.  

• Love 1

Well this is interesting, Ron Moore did a twitter Q&A, which I haven't read through yet, but I saw this:

Q: will you be doing all your filming for season 3&4 in Scotland?

@RonDMoore Probably not but haven't locked in locations for sea voyage and Caribbean

Q: Any chance of going to South Africa to use Black Sails ships?

@RonDMoore  It's under discussion

• Love 1
(edited)

More of Moore:

Q: How many episode for S3 & S4?

@RonDMoore the plan is 13 per season but always subject to change

Q: What was your favorite episode of Outlander this season?

‏@RonDMoore 207 - Faith and 213 Dragonfly in Amber

Q: favourite scene in season 2? ;)

‏@RonDMoore Star Chamber

Q: when do you start shooting season three

‏@RonDMoore Early fall/late summer

Q: Hi Ron! Will Brexit affect your work in Scotland?

‏@RonDMoore Don't think so immediately but long term is unknown

Q: will you film in the US at some point?

‏@RonDMoore Don't know

Q: how many times do you watch each episode?

‏@RonDMoore Really hard to say. Maybe a dozen? Also lots of watching individual scenes and sequences without going through whole show

Q: How do you plan to handle the appearance aspects for Sam and Cait in future seasons when they are 20 years older?

‏@RonDMoore Recasting both of them, of course.....;)

Q: Can we keep Murtagh?

@RonDMoore Are you holding him captive?

Q:  Do you see in the future of #Outlander that you may go beyond the story in the books? As if making changes?

‏@RonDMoore The changes we make obligate us to follow them up in the show as we go forward but try to keep to books

Q: are seasons 3 & 4 going to be filmed concurrently or consecutively?

‏@RonDMoore There will be a break in between

Q: (OK serious question): Will NC be filmed in Scotland or England?

‏@RonDMoore Don't know yet

Q: How did you get Claire's wedding ring to roll into that Groove?

@RonDMoore Just a bit of good fortune

Q: what has been the biggest obstacle to overcome during S2?

‏@RonDMoore The adaptation was tough because it was a more complicated book

Q: will you be doing all your filming for season 3&4 in Scotland?

@RonDMoore Probably not but haven't locked in locations for sea voyage and Caribbean

Q: Which scene are you most looking forward to for Season 3?

‏@RonDMoore The ship scenes

Q: Are you serious about recasting Jamie and Claire?

‏@RonDMoore Uh............. no

Q: Any chance of going to South Africa to use Black Sails ships?

‏@RonDMoore It's under discussion

Q: Will we get a blooper reel for S2? If so, who flubs lines the most? :)

‏@RonDMoore I think so but there aren't that many flubs to be honest

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

More of Moore:

Q: Which scene are you most looking forward to for Season 3?

‏@RonDMoore The ship scenes

UGH! This better not FUCKING mean that Lallybroch scenes will be sacrificed for the French Farce and Hijinks at sea!

• Love 2

It'll definitely be there...Maril has said it's her fave too...but I'm more worried it'll be given short shrift (like the choice at the stones) and/or be changed because Matt Roberts is writing the episode and he likes to change things up. This is one scene that is perfect as-is, IMO.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

It'll definitely be there...Maril has said it's her fave too...but I'm more worried it'll be given short shrift (like the choice at the stones) and/or be changed because Matt Roberts is writing the episode and he likes to change things up. This is one scene that is perfect as-is, IMO.

Dammit. Anne Kenney or Toni Graphia should be writing this episode/scenes!

• Love 3

I saw a preview for episode 13, already posted on YT. I was expecting to see Roger Mac's face with Claire's voice asking "Mr Wakefield?" and "I need your help" or something, but alas, no. They are surely keeping '68 stuff hidden as deep as they can.

They forgot to mention that to Entertainment Weekly! ;-)

13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH! This better not FUCKING mean that Lallybroch scenes will be sacrificed for the French Farce and Hijinks at sea!

Good Lord! We know they'll do the Laoghaire stuff because it was set up this season, but if they cut Jamie & Wee Ian "disciplining" each other at the fence post (with Claire, Ian & Jenny watching from the window) I will be livid!!  But of course, because I want to see it soooo much, I have no doubt they'll cut it. 

• Love 3

Q: (OK serious question): Will NC be filmed in Scotland or England?

‏@RonDMoore Don't know yet

Okay I am trying to stay cool and calm about season 4 but... seeing as how I live within 2 miles of Fraser's Ridge, is it too early to get my hopes up that they will film in NC? Please oh please let it be.

21 HOURS AGO,  AHEADOFSTRAIGHT SAID: 

Or the print shop scene!!!!!!!!

I SWEAR, if Ron cuts that out, I will SERIOUSLY cast a POX on him!

I think we can all rest assured that the Jamie-Claire reunion in the print shop is going to be given all the love and attention that was showered on the wedding episode.  I mean come ON!  They know.  I trust them.  It will be EPIC.  I'm quite certain there will be tears at Chez WatchrTina on that day (good, happy, heart-too-full-to-bear-it tears).

• Love 4
(edited)

Funny how people are scared of Matt Roberts changing the print shop. He sticks the closest to the books,sometimes to close by trying to shoe horn book lines in that end up being clunky. See "I am your master" for example. He's the best choice for this. I really think he will stick as close as possible. I think it is unquestionably, unanimously the one scene everyone wants. Even I do and I'm dying for them to go off book. I don't trust them on much, especially after that scene, but in this I do.  Also please include the cellophane blowing away, it's so poignant.

Forgot to add. My husband is really pissed that the Roger/Bree Spoiler was on the COVER of EW. He's really into avoiding spoilers on everything, doesn't even want to know what happens in the book after the fact. 

Edited by peacefrog
Add thoughts
  • Love 1

Peacefrog, I'm actually really surprised how cavalier ew is with this because it is a major spoiler.  Usually they are way more cognizant of that and include big spoiler warnings.  

I like EW -- I've been a subscriber since 1996 -- but I nearly lost my mind when they reported a major (completely unexpected) character death on Downton Abby in the "What to Watch" TV-guide section of the magazine.  Apparently the death was big news in England when it aired there first so they just assumed everyone in the USA was already spoiled for it.  No, I was NOT.  I still take the magazine but every now and then they do something really bone-headed.

12 hours ago, peacefrog said:

My husband is really pissed that the Roger/Bree Spoiler was on the COVER of EW. He's really into avoiding spoilers on everything, doesn't even want to know what happens in the book after the fact. 

The bigger shock will be when viewers learn that Roger is descended from Geillis and Dougal.

A lot of posters in the newest episode thread are unhappy that there was so little Claire/Jamie interaction.  I don't know how the writers are going to treat next season's separation.  How many episodes will it be before Claire goes back?  It's going to be hard to watch them removed from each other, especially Jamie's storyline, without becoming impatient for their reunion.

• Love 1

Not much more than what Grashka posted but here are some additional tidbits from a fan gathering with Ron before the recent Giants game. (write-up from a group online, not mine)

A bunch of fans met with Ron at the Public House at the Stadium yesterday and he shared some fun facts.
1. Romann Berrux will be playing teenage Fergus in Season 3 and they will hire another actor for older Fergus.
2. Season 3 begins filming in late August early September.
3. Terry is already working on costumes.
4. Matt is out scouting locations.
5. Ron will be back in Scotland in a month.
6. Season 3 will air in the spring, but not sure of the date yet.
7. Ron mentioned that Starz is really flexible with them and they can have more than 13 shows or make episodes longer if need be.
8. 10 of the 13 scripts for Season 3 are done.
9. When asked if Diana would write another episode he said they had lunch recently and she didn't mention writing another script, but she did say that she's really busy with book 9 and it's coming along much faster than in the past.
10. Said at this point would most likely film Colony scenes on Scotland side of the pond for a bunch of reasons including taxes, lower costs and they built amazing production facilities in Scotland and don't really want to start over.

• Love 2

They are going to start shooting season 3 in late August/early September (yet everyone say that season 3 will air in April 2017, I'm not sure how is that possible).

I posted the following on another forum, but since we're talking about the same thing, I thought I would just post it here as well. 

I saw some of Ron's Q&A, but not that bit about the schedule. I've been wondering when they planned to come back for Season 3.

As for *how* they could do it, remember at that recent writers' panel, they introduced a group of new writers they had hired. I think it was either three or four people. At the time, I wondered if anyone from the original group was leaving the show, thus the need to add more people. I'm not sure anyone *is* leaving. Yesterday, Matt Roberts also had a Q&A and people were asking if Anne Kenney was staying? He said, yes. They asked about Toni Graphia. He said, yes. They didn't go down the (rather small) roster of writers, but it did remind me that, in a much earlier interview, Ron talked about how other series generally have a much larger team of writers, whereas Outlander, basically has five: Moore, Behr, Kenney, Roberts, and Graphia. At the time, he was talking positively about that, saying it was nice to be such a small team who worked so well together. But, clearly in this recent season, it has put a strain on them. I've sensed that it was difficult for such a relatively small group to both write and produce this complicated series. So, my guess is they've hired more writers so that they *can* get Season 3 out as quickly as possible, if not Spring as Ron mentions. I don't know that *that's* the reason, but its a reasonable assumption.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

9. When asked if Diana would write another episode he said they had lunch recently and she didn't mention writing another script, but she did say that she's really busy with book 9 and it's coming along much faster than in the past.

I find this interesting (and exciting). You might think that the show would be taking up so much of her time that work on book 9 would be going slower, but I wonder if it is actually keeping her focused on the central series of books, especially on the main characters. She has said she is someone who needs to be working on multiple projects and therefore the novellas and short stories don't delay the big books. But now, her "other" project is adapting the big books and she is constantly immersed in the main narrative rather than going off on tangents that, however closely related to the other project, are not central to the main story.

I seem to recall her saying that she's not influenced by Sam's and Cait's portrayals of Jamie and Claire, but I can't help thinking she must be at some level. Perhaps seeing the characters on the screen is inspiring. Bernard Cornwall has said that he started seeing Sean Bean when he was writing the Sharp novels and found himself writing with his portrayal in mind.

Perhaps she's also thinking about George Martin. Though she already has 8 books compared to his 5 under her belt, time passes quickly and we're already coming up on book 3. I can't imagine Diana being content with having the show get ahead of the novels. And even though she apparently knows how the series ends, she doesn't necessarily know how all the characters get there. Part of her role as advisor is to make sure that Moore et al. include plot points that may seem minor but become important in subsequent novels. She can't advise on what she doesn't know.

• Love 2

Just saw this tweet:

Outlander Costume‏@OutlanderCostum So, here is another tidbit. We need to design and make approximately 50 PRINCIPAL costumes between now and beginning of September.

So, lines up with Moore's statement about when shooting will begin.

• Love 1