Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

Omg Grashka that bit about Roger sailing to colonies/Stephen/Jamie/Claire stuck in the forest just made me literally lol.  I am a half hearted GOT watcher and haven't read the books at all but it really does seem like finally things are moving on that show!

• Love 1

I finally made my way onto Twitter some months ago, mainly because my husband kept talking about the cool stuff Scott Kelly would tweet.  I am still trying to figure it all out but when I signed up I included many of the outlander cast/crew and it has been a ton of fun. I love all the ins and outs they talk about.  

(edited)
4 hours ago, Grashka said:

They are going to start shooting season 3 in late August/early September (yet everyone say that season 3 will air in April 2017, I'm not sure how is that possible).

I have been wondering this, too. If last season is anything to go by, they started filming in the spring of 2015, I think, and then it aired in the spring of 2016. I realize some factors may be at play that would make season 2 filming go on longer, but they still have to do post-production stuff. I honestly am thinking it will be summer/fall 2017 before season 3 premieres because I have no idea how they're going to film a 13 episode season and complete post-production in 7 months to get it on air in April. 

Edited by Zella

I read somewhere that the ship scenes will only be one episode. I'll have to find where to determine if it's accurate but I didn't question it when I read it.

I'm not sure what significant means as far as Frank is concerned. Was BJR significant this season? I think we had fewer scenes with him than Dougal.

They don't have to have the entire season in the can before they start airing episodes.  If they have most of the episodes written already are getting a head start on the costumes, I don't really see any issues.  And I'm going to trust that Ron Moore knows what he's talking about regarding time frames for making a teevee show. 

There is a chance they could film it. First they must have ironed out most of the kinks after 2 seasons. This past one was delayed a lot due to weather. Voyager could have a lot filmed inside in the studio, well at least more than previously. They also can have two filming crews for a good portion of the season if they want,can go faster. 

morgan I'm Peacefrog7 on Twitter and talk mostly about tv if you want to find me. (Or anyone else for that matter).

Frank in Season Three does make sense. I mean, we'll have the scenes, showing their marriage...Frank's infidelities, and then his threat to Claire to take Bree away, which ends up not happening, because, ye know...

Look, Moore said the same thing about more Frank at the end of the first season for the second season, and that didn't actually quite happen, did it? I'm hoping it 'twill be the same for season three. I'm keeping my expectations low and not going to get excited, like I did last season, and ended up being disappointed.

Henceforth, I'll be avoiding the spoilers threads.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, toolazy said:

They don't have to have the entire season in the can before they start airing episodes.  If they have most of the episodes written already are getting a head start on the costumes, I don't really see any issues.  And I'm going to trust that Ron Moore knows what he's talking about regarding time frames for making a teevee show. 

That's true. I hadn't thought of that. I would think it would be quite the time crunch, though, to be finishing up episodes while also dealing with all the promotional requirements that the season premiere seems to entail. Glad it's not me. :D

I can also see how the studio filming that peacefrog mentioned would take less time and wouldn't be as subject to surprise delays. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, morgan said:

I finally made my way onto Twitter some months ago, mainly because my husband kept talking about the cool stuff Scott Kelly would tweet.  I am still trying to figure it all out but when I signed up I included many of the outlander cast/crew and it has been a ton of fun. I love all the ins and outs they talk about.  

Twitter is fantastic because it's the only way to keep up with news that isn't filtered through the MSM. I'm maraleia over there as well.

I read that Ron is looking at working with Black Sails to use their ships for the high seas part of season 3.

(edited)

I was debating which thread to put this in (speculation, media, etc.), but I thought I would be extra-careful and put it in here.

In this article (which was published on June 18th, so my apologies if this has already been posted), we find out Duncan has "lost the Murtagh beard", "since [he's] finished shooting". Beards grow back, and it's feasible that Murtagh could shave it, to avoid being recognized, if he's on the run from the redcoats. Still, I think that raises the odds that Murtagh won't make it out of season 2 alive. I'd be happy to lose that bet.

Edited by Dust Bunny

Duncan shaved back in May. We haven't seen a newer picture since. Maybe he'll let it grow back. It's a long time till September! And remember he could be gone for a while, without Jamie knowing what happened to him so it could also be, that he will start much later than Sam/Cait.. 

I saw a preview from an Irish channel on youtube and 60s Claire looks younger than 1740s Claire. But I guess it makes sense, she's not roughing it anymore, but it's just funny because I thought I wouldn't have much trouble buying her as the mom of a 20 year old, but I might after all. No big deal either way, just a random observation.

On 7/2/2016 at 7:18 PM, ulkis said:

I saw a preview from an Irish channel on youtube and 60s Claire looks younger than 1740s Claire. But I guess it makes sense, she's not roughing it anymore, but it's just funny because I thought I wouldn't have much trouble buying her as the mom of a 20 year old, but I might after all. No big deal either way, just a random observation.

Do you have the link? I could buy her as a mom to a 20 year old because I have some friends with kids in late teens and early 20s who have always looked young for their ages and you have to double take that they could have kids that old. lol Also, to your point, Claire's not roughing it anymore. She's had 20 years of modern medicine, dentistry, skin care, etc. Makes me think of the 29 year old woman she encounters in Edinburgh soon before meeting Jamie. The woman had almost no teeth and looked much much older. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am in my 40s marching ever closer to 50 and I would say looking at my friends/family who are just north/south of 50 it really does vary how they age.  I like to think I'm on the younger end of the spectrum (although maybe my eyes need checking, lol).  So I guess to me the first pic I saw of her looks good but this one def looks well beyond 50 to me.  But I suppose some of my friends, even those younger than me, look around there.  phenomenal job aging her!  

Edited by morgan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sweden accidentally put the finale online for a couple of  hours on Sunday (I think) and there are a few gifs floating around . Maybe this picture comes from that source .

Edited by lianau

Haleth, I thought the same thing for a second!  It's the white streaks.  And whisky.  lol.  Hmmm...Roger is a good looking man who wants her daughter.....

Spotted on CompuServe:

From someone in the UK who has seen the episode (thank you Amazon for the inadvertent release on Monday to that market)  there will be NO Frank and NO BJR in the final episode.  Frank is mentioned, but no Tobias in any form.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

That's odd. No BJR surprises me. Aren't they going to show what happened at Culloden?

Technically, the book doesn't. We don't get the snippet of Jamie waking up until Book 3 and only little snippets as he remembers later.

• Love 3
(edited)

The mystery of what happens to BJR during the battle of Culloden and how he ends up where he ends up has yet to be addressed in ANY of the books.  Jamie can't remember.  Yet.  But I am confident that he's going to have an epiphany one day and the memories are going to come rushing back (a horrible experience for him, really) and we, the readers, will finally be given the answer to that question.  

Edited by WatchrTina
(edited)
On 7/7/2016 at 2:58 AM, Grashka said:

Stills for episode 13, including a couple of new ones with Brianna and Roger (that 60th style hairdo and facial hair are really not at all flattering IMO) and what I suspect is a "deed of sasine"

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/outlander/gallery2/gallery13/gallery.htm

I think the facial hair is okay, but then I liked Jamie's hair in the first part of season 2 too (I liked it when he pulled it back) so I just might have horrible taste, heh. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Well, Black Sails' last season will be airing next year, so they're probably still using the ships at the same time that Outlander is shooting S3, Voyager. 

If things are worked out, I would expect Outlander would mostly need the sailing ships as exterior shots

Spoiler

both to Jamaica and then through the final destination at the end of Voyager, 

Given the sound stages are in Scotland, they likely wouldn't need interior sets since the time frame would be about 50 years roughly after Black Sails. Bear's gonna new something to replace Black Sails.though.

2 hours ago, Grashka said:

Interesting that he is not only reading "Voyager" but also "Scottish Prisoner". I wonder if something from this novel will be included in the scripts or he just want to know more about Jamie's mindset from his time after Ardsmuir.

I'd like them to incorporate a little more of the history between JAMMF and Lord John in the show (drawing from Scottish Prisoner).  I wouldn't appreciate their relationship in later books as much as I do if I didn't know their background.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grashka said:

Interesting that he is not only reading "Voyager" but also "Scottish Prisoner."

I would expect nothing less from Sam.  He really is sincere and determined to get Jamie right reading that he's reading both buiks tells me he's invested in Jamie and the latter really delves into his time during the years he and Claire were separated. It makes me love him even more.

• Love 4

I haven't read any of the Lord John books but Lord help me, I've downloaded The Scottish Prisoner and have started reading. That will give me something to do for a couple of days. I've also been rereading parts of Voyager. 

If Sam is preparing, I will too. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I haven't read any of the Lord John books but Lord help me, I've downloaded The Scottish Prisoner and have started reading. That will give me something to do for a couple of days. I've also been rereading parts of Voyager. 

If Sam is preparing, I will too. 

Do you want to know why their relationship is so frosty in the beginning and what the big thing is that got them to the frostiness ?

The Scottish Prisoner ranks right up there with Outlander as one of my favorites of Diana's books.  Does a lot to explain the Jamie/Lord John relationship.  So glad Sam is reading that in preparation for Voyager.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Yes, Lianau. 

Ok ,I put it in spoiler , not sure everyone wants to know that .

Spoiler

In a previous book (Brotherhood of the Blade) John is in a relationship with somebody who loves him but finds out that John feels more for somebody else (Jamie)  than for  him . As a result he cheats on John and they get caught by other people  resulting in a potential death sentence for John's lover . John helps him escape prison by making it look like the guy had died in custody . John is conflicted about all of it and asks Jamie about it (since he can be honest with Jamie) . This meeting however leads to a big fight  when Jamie insinuates that gay men are incapable of the kind of  love experienced between husband and wife because they're cowards and prey on young boys (not Jamie's greatest moment). The fight get's physical after John tells Jamie he'd make him scream if he were to take Jamie to his bed . In the end John sort of realizes that somebody had done just that .

• Love 1

This fellow's bio says he's an "SA" for TV and film.  Someone saw this tweet, which looks like they're going to be showing more than just the aftermath of the battle of Culloden.

Paul Rasmussen ‏@toughmudder67  20h20 hours ago

@Writer_DG @GretchenLandis Just completed battle training, so we're all ready to go. This is gonna be epic! :D #Culloden #Outlander #battle

Edited by Nidratime

Or maybe they're doing the smart thing and filming all of it now so that they have it ready to go and can spread it out as quick flashbacks throughout future seasons. Or just put it all in at some future point whenever we actually end up learning what happened that day.

(But probably what you said. My way's giving them a lot of credit.)

• Love 3