Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

I don't see them doing Mary & BJR's wedding in the second to last episode.  I'm guessing that Nidratime is right and it's more about their desperation than anything literal. 

Also, the document that Jamie sent with Fergus was the Deed of Sassine that gave Lallybroch to Young Jamie.  So, even though Jamie didn't die, he also was no longer the owner of Lallybroch.  

Edited by toolazy
(edited)

So I'm guessing we meet a certain Lord John Grey in 2x10 in Prestonpans? I always imagined Diana would write that episode, so this surprised me a wee bit.

Edited by Dust Bunny

They probably shifted things around so people don't get confused and it makes mores sense. In the novel, that last part of the story can be quite confusing, going from "the battlefield" to "the old fox" and back again, plus all the other maneuvering. I bet they streamlined and simplified.

Yeah, those sequences in the book had me scratching my head at times, so I can see them needing to make them clearer for TV.  Perhaps The Fox's Lair will be the episode Jamie learns of the sneaky prince signing his name to the declaration coupled with that sneaky prince also asking Jamie to go beg is grandfather to support the cause. The "fox" could be referring to both Lord Lovat (The Old Fox) and to the sneaky prince.

Perhaps they'll have Claire taken to Lallybroch after she loses Faith instead of her friends villa in France?

I'm kinda curious how they bring that whole Prestonpans segment to life. Not so much the battle itself, but the preparation and the aftermath I remember really being drawn into when reading the book.

Well, when I think of a "Hail Mary," I not only think of the literal name of the character, Mary, but I think of that football terminology, the Hail Mary pass, which is defined as a very long forward pass in football, made in desperation with only a small chance of success. So, to me, that's what Jamie is trying in his last days/hours with Claire -- planning to get Fergus away to Lollybroch (with Jamie's last will), seeing Claire off into the unknown future -- which is definitely something they're taking on faith -- and returning to try and get his men out of harms way before the big battle -- all of which seems like a lot to accomplish with no guarantees.

The thing about the last episode is that they're going to have to include stuff from the beginning of the book as well as from the end -- the entire framing device.

Also, of course Jaime, as a Catholic, would pray the rosary which includes the Hail Mary prayer. And at that part of the season, I can think of lots of reasons for him to be praying. Lots of combined meanings there I think.

• Love 1

"Hail Mary" is also angel Gabriel's greeting to Mary when he visits to tell her she is with child.

By the end of this episode we will know Claire is pregnant with Bree.

• Love 3
(edited)

It could also be Alex Randall marrying Mary off to BJR. Lot's of meanings here!

Edited:Oops should have read further up thread, it was mentioned. This should be a real frantic episode, could have all these things and Jamie & Dougal's fight.

I do think J&C farewell will be shown in the last episode though.

Edited by peacefrog
(edited)

Since this is a review that has some spoilers in it, I'll post it here.

Variety's Review:

TV Review: ‘Outlander’ Season 2

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/outlander-review-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-tobias-menzies-1201740725/

This review reveals a bit more detail, so ... ahoy SPOILERS ahead:

‘Outlander’ switches its game to juicy espionage

http://www.dailynewsx.com/news/entertainment-news/outlander-switches-its-game-to-juicy-espionage-77600.html

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

Did Geilles/Gielles(sp?) know about Claire before she, Geilles, travelled to the 18th century❓

I think it's sort of a yes and no answer to that . Geillis planned her departure to the 18th century and also compiled a list of strange happenings and disappearances in and around stone circles . In that list Claire's vanishing act is mentioned  but Geillis did not know Claire in person until they met at Castle Leoch . And I don't think we ever found out if Geillis  had  identified this Claire as  the missing  one from  her list .

• Love 1

It's up! Not going to say more until Athena opens the threads but I've seen the opening and I'm just so hooked already and so much I want to say. Have to get kids up then off to watch the rest once they get off to school. It doesn't seem to be available on demand via fios, so had to cast via app.

Yeah I caved and watched! Just coming to ask if episode thread is going to open earlier seeing as it was dropped at 12:00am?

I wanted to give the episode one day before the thread opens, but if y'all insist, it's open now.

• Love 1

Please Athena! I am dying to discuss it!!!! I'm guessing not many of us have been able to but the wait is killing me. (Ok, small exaggeration)

The thread is open :)

• Love 2

For those curious about the king's mistress and her, um, dress (link contains a NSFW photo):

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/outlander-nipple-dress-season-2

In no way did I ever think they were going to do that dress for the show. I'm guessing, for non-book readers, this dress might get more attention than the Red Dress.

Prepare yourself now for the Janet Jackson jokes.

Kudos to Starz and Co. for all the costume promos, articles, and the like. They're really planting seeds for some well-deserved Emmys. 

Edited by Dust Bunny

Now that TLO are doing Outlander Style and they are unspoiled, this will definitely be scintillating for TV watchers and commentators. Looking forward to the reactions.

• Love 1

I think how that dress is perceived by the audience will depend entirely on how the scene is set.  I may be recalling this wrong, but I think in the books the nipple dress lady looked uncomfortable as though she'd been forced into that dress against her will.  Or that might have simply been Claire's assumption.  Either way, the nipple dress needs to be treated carefully so that it's not just a nipple dress.  It needs to say something, and it needs to say something more than just characterization about the man in the scene.  Of course, it can just be a nipple dress that's a lazy way to show the daring fashion with the king and his court.  However, I think that might damage some of the credibility this show has built, especially in how it treats its female characters.  

The StyleWatch People magazine article had the NSFW parts covered in the pic LOL. I love how much attention Terry and for that matter Maril and Bear and John Gary are getting this season. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate Diana but she really doesn't need to be interviewed that much anymore.

• Love 1

The king's mistress is quite a strong character as I recall.

I could just be remembering how Claire described her.  I thought I had recalled her using words like "followed like a puppy, annoyed, obedient" and the like.  Though it's been a long time and I think I listened to the book rather than read, and I don't retain as well with just listening.

Here's the latest trailer from STARZ for upcoming episodes -- over 3 minutes long -- full of hints of what's to come but no major spoilers.  I'm a reader so nothing much can surprise me but I was interested to note that 

Louise is wearing a red dress when she is introduced to Prince Charles Stuart. I wonder if that is a hint that she saw the impact that Claire made at Versailles and decided to have her own dress made up in that power color.

https://www.starz.com/video/901521248c45440eb5942ab8d220ef40

Edited by WatchrTina

There's sneak peek clip out there for episode 203. http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/outlander-season-2-exclusive-sneak-peek/#MGzV5B0aumOWIOL6.02

203 hasn't aired yet so I won't talk about the content but can I just say how clever and heartbreaking the blocking of this scene is?  Jamie and Claire are having a disagreement while he walks down a gallery (or hallway) outside the dining room and Claire walks in parallel inside the dining room so that walls periodically come between them.  They can only see each others at the doorways.  What a nice visual metaphor for the strain between them and the lack of connection they are both feeling.

• Love 4

Oh my poor sweet Murtagh.  "A man doesna concern himself with the affairs of women."  Guess we know why Ellen MacKenzie wasn't won over by those boars husks bracelet things.  

• Love 3

I think that article is a bit sensationalistic with the brothel visit.  It sounds like we're going to get the scene where they fight over the bite marks on his person - Terry & Maril would never let Ron have Jamie actually go with a prostitute.  At least, I hope they wouldn't.  

• Love 2

Between the bitter cascara and what I'm fairly sure will include 

Spoiler

the street attack and Mary raped scenes (get prepared for the non-book viewers' anger),

Jamie needs to get at least a little more affectionate with Claire. It doesn't have to be sex, but some emotional intimacy would be a nice change of pace.

Edited by Dust Bunny

I've pretty much come to accept that there is not going to be any closeness between Jamie and Claire until after the Faith/Bastille/Louis stuff goes down.  They are just skipping over any of the sexy stuff that was in the book in the early part.  And I'm sad about it, because I miss them together and would like to see it.  But I do think they are doing a wonderful job with the season in general so am going to just know it will come eventually.  I'm afraid it's making me far too eager for the weeks to fly by to get to it though!

Hello Outlanders. I have changed the title and first post of this thread to be a Spoilers thread with Book Talk. I think the spoiled and  book talk spoilers are the only ones who use this thread in any case. This means, no spoiler tags necessary. Thanks!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, asp said:

Are we gonna get a mirror version of 2x01Claire's "I wish I were dead" by Jamie in the aftermath of Culloden?

http://jamiefraserfan.tumblr.com/post/143958239686/uselesstat-its-definitely-going-to-kill-us

I would love that. And it sets up some robust Jamie POV for the first-half of season 3. It was established a bit in "Reckonings", but there hasn't been much since then. It would be great to finally have equal-time voice-overs, so we can see that Jamie and Claire really are a team.