Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

When did the Season 3 episode count change from 13 to 10?  Maril Davis, in an interview with the International Business Times on July 12, said there would be 13 and she expected they would stick to that number moving forward.  It The Scot and the Sassenach say there are 10 episodes. 

I have searched online but haven't found any reference to a reduced number of episodes. When did this happen?

I heard the 10 thing from S&S too (I think I mentioned it on another thread). I do hope it is 13 episodes. There is just so much to get through in book 3. There are like 3 different stories, just in the back half!

That's good to hear anyway. 10 episodes was way too few. I still think that Outlander was best served by its original 16 episode run (though without the 6 month hiatus)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

In a fluff piece I read this morning apparently Sam indicated that we'd see not just Jamaica in S3 but also

Reveal hidden contents

North Carolina.

Gotta wonder just how far they're going to move things forward if this is correct.

http://bit.ly/2dtgKO5

In Voyager, they made it to

Spoiler

Georgia. so I can see a simplification for Book 4 to get to his aunt's estate.

Edited by theschnauzers

The only reason they were there was because I moved a lot of posts from the Media thread which does require spoiler tags. Please remember Media is for all viewers so please take speculation to these threads. Thanks!

Here's a thought. Do you think if they move the action straight to NC they might leave out Bonnet? Although that subplot takes up, what three books? Four? Its actually entirely possible to tell the tale without him in it. The only real impact is Ian joining the mohawk and there are other ways of achieving that. (The parentage of Jem, again, is a question that you know will be resolved from the get go - one of the ongoing themes in the books is men stepping up in this respect there was no way Roger was going to prove to be the exception to that rule!) The whole 'misunderstanding' in the woods makes me froth at the mouth with annoyance and lets face it there is enough rape in the first two seasons for us to be able to live without this one. Maybe its because much as I love Roger, Brianna wrecks my head, but its a sub plot I don't like in the books and if the show could see its way to dropping it entirely, I would love it.

I'm clutching at straws aren't I?

• Love 1

Perhaps they can just skip Jed, er um Jamie, telling Jethro, er um wee Ian, to, "Get his guns" so they can go feud the Drysdales? And, if they skip Roger's "I've come to claim my wife," that would probably help too.

I think they can make it work without it being the Beverly Hillbillies farce it was presented in the book. Changing up a few lines and giving a bit more depth to the misunderstanding would help immensely. I don't know, it's really a stupid portion of the book, but I'm not sure they should totally eliminate it altogether? There is some nice character development that comes as a result of all the stupid.

• Love 2

I think the thing I hate so much about the Bonnet story line from start to finish (inc the whole Roger shit show) is that it all relies so much on the whole 'when people get the wrong end of the stick but don't bother to actually ask' trope. One of the better things about the series (for me) is that it up to this point does a decent job of avoiding just this kind of melodrama and then it flings itself full force into it. But you're right - RDM loves a villain and given that Bonnet is the 'big bad' across a good number of books I imagine we will see a LOT of him. Hopefully they can/will at least tidy up some of the worst bit up. I also hope they can find an actor of Tobias Menzies' calibre, his portrayal went a long way towards justifying RDM's playing up of his role.

• Love 3

If they follow Voyager closely enough, Claire's story will also have Bree and Roger helping find out when/where Jamie is so when Claire goes back she knows where she;s going, as well as the info Gillian/Gellis had collected in her notebooks on the travelers, including Claire.

I doubt they are ready for season four.  I would think Sam would be curious about the part of the Americas that most of the rest of the series features.  When I checked again this morning there were over 2,000 comments on his Instagram post. I wonder if he was already scheduled to come to the US and swung by North Carolina going or coming.  Probably flew into Charlotte and drove right up 321 - right past my town.  That's my story.

• Love 1

I believe the town Sam was in is either for the exteriors for The Ridge, or for River Run (Aunr Jocasta's plantation). I have read that they're skipping the landfall in Georgia at the end of Book 3 and jumping the gun to the very beginning of Drums of Autumn to streamline things, thus the scouting trip. Otherwise, Cait and John Bell.would have had to be there for filming.

I wouldn't be surprised if some exteriors are filmed in North Carolina in the coming years; fiNding exteriors with southern pine forests in Scotland is probably impossible.

• Love 1

Or, maybe Sam was doing research in a break between blocks (not sure where they are in filming right now). I would guess he'd want to know what the actual location is like, regardless of where they film. That was my first guess when I saw the photo. 

• Love 2

I did some rereading the last couple of days and I thought about how much I like the relationship between Young Ian and William . It's clear to me that those two like each other but don't like that they like each other . That feeling is more prominent in William though . Ian is probably slightly afraid  to lose his status as Jamie's surrogate son to Jamie's actual biological son . And than there is Rachel . Although I'm not sure how much William is really in love with her and how much he wants to be in love with her because she's chosen Ian . 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Grashka said:

That's quite beautiful Mary McNab.

http://cartermatt.com/232660/outlander-season-3-notes-caitriona-balfe-casting-rumors-pcas/

Not exactly how I imagined the character, and I'm surprised they are even introducing her at this point since Mary has not been established so far and in the show Jamie doesn't have such a dramatic history with McNab family as he did in the books.

She's definitely not how I pictured the character, either, and not just because that's a glamor shot and Mary was enduring a famine. The actress is somewhat similar in appearance to Cait while with the book, I didn't get the sense that Claire and Mary McNab shared much of a resemblance lookswise (or in personality, for that matter). Wonder if the show will play the cave encounter so that Jamie imagines Claire the whole time?

Edited by Dejana

Just heard an interview with Caitriona Balfe on EW Radio #Outlander Live.. Where she said that they filmed out of sequence and she and Sam had already filmed an episode together and this week are filming together for the rest of the season. She couldn't say which episode they had already shot together earlier this season. 

I am amazed that the "conversation" even reached that particular r-word, and that Herself even has to address it. I thought the chain of events in Voyager, and as subsequently covered in later books, was quite clear.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2016 at 1:24 PM, mtsmvfn said:

Just heard an interview with Caitriona Balfe on EW Radio #Outlander Live.. Where she said that they filmed out of sequence and she and Sam had already filmed an episode together and this week are filming together for the rest of the season. She couldn't say which episode they had already shot together earlier this season. 

The interview I saw, Cait said they had already filmed episode 8, but are now filming episodes 6 and 7 and will be filming together the rest of the season.

So from other info and pics, it sounds like Lallybroch is episode 8 and the print shop is either episode 6 or 7.

Maril Davis did a twitter Q&A and one kind fan collected some of her more interesting comments.

Some highlights.

1. We are getting Mr. Willoughby

2. They're almost halfway through filming season 3

3. They're adding cast members as they go

4. They've done the first publicity shoot

5. "we have different writers for every episode so everyone will get different stuff. We divide by script not by time periods"

6. production staff won't have any breaks this year, will go straight into season 4

7. "I haven't cried on set but I did tear up watching a rough cut of episode one."

8. We can expect "turtle time" - turtle soup scene apparently

9. They still haven't decided where season 4 will be filmed yet

10. When asked which character she's going to miss - "I know this answer won't be popular but I'll miss Frank. I love J&C but also appreciate the F&C relationship & how it contrasts"

11. The Jamie and Geneva scene - "it will be fairly close to the book. But differences will change this conversation I think"

• Love 1

Aw.  The last bit of that video made me cry.  To paraphrase, the last question from the audience was to ask Diana how it felt to know that her writing had profoundly affected the lives of so many people in a positive way.  The audience clapped and Diana hesitated saying something like "that's very moving and gratifying" and appearing to get choked up.  Then she said (paraphrasing now) "I don't usually tell people this but, as I said before, when I was 8 I knew I wanted to be a writer.  I'm also a Catholic and I'd been taught that you can talk to God about anything at any time and so I was on a trip somewhere in a car and I told God that I thought I wanted to be a writer and that I wanted to write the kind of books that lift people up.  And He said 'That's okay'."  Her voice broke on that last line and that brought tears to my eyes.  Diana isn't perfect -- she occasionally says things that make me cringe -- but this interview in particular showcases the many wonderful aspects of her personality, especially her amazing work ethic, her strong and loving marriage, her deep faith, and her gratitude for all the good things in her life.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Grashka said:

And here is video version of the above interview:

http://www.outlandertvnews.com/2017/01/on-writing-with-diana-gabaldon-video/

DG is not always my cup of tea but here I enjoyed her quite a lot. And I got emotional when she got emotional over her visit on Culloden Moore. "Where is Murtagh?" Repeating after her husband, it may be ridiculous to get choked up over someone who never existed but...uhm...yeah.

I enjoyed that interview too, I even watched the whole thing! I know Diana turns a lot of people off, but I appreciate her candor and honesty. and TBH, I kinda get her sense of humor. 

• Love 1

Neither Sam nor Cait look like they have any makeup at all on, which makes me hesitate to judge whether they've been aged or not.  Cait literally looks like she just washed her face - there's no mascara or anything. 

Also, I hate that dumpy coat/cape thing that she's wearing.  It does nothing for her. 

• Love 1