Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: October 5, 2021

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I agree with all this, yet, I want them to work so much.  I really believed their first date and fell for both of them together.  I hated the "psych"  moment and hope a producer encouraged it and I hate that Riley had already told his Sunday morning speech and hope that's just him repeating what he knows he wants from life.  Because I think they're so perfect together.  Yes Maurissa is a little clingy, but I think Riley is a little insecure due to his early experiences and in spite of all his accomplishments he needs a soft, very loving woman to feel happy.  I want them to get married and have that cozy family for real.  I can't help myself with them.

I agree with you. I don’t think Riley’s Saturday morning fantasy is a gimmick to win over women. It’s genuinely how he pictures his future. Now was he just trying to find any woman to fit that role? The show will do that to you, I guess. But I do believe he fell hard and fast for Maurissa. I think he can’t wait to get married and have kids. There seems to be some misconception that women are the ones who want to settle down and get married, and men need to be chased and roped down. But plenty of guys also have their “biological clocks ticking” and are at the point where they want nothing more than to find someone to marry and have kids. It sounds like Riley’s father wasn’t there for him, so even moreso he built up in his mind the kind of husband and father he wants to be. I completely think he’s genuine, and I bet out of all 3 couples, they’ll be the first (only?) to get married. I’m not surprised that the three oldest (well, Ed was “old,” too but he wasn’t there long enough to secure a fiancé) guys are the ones who got engaged. These guys are ready to settle down and have a family. Contrast that with the younger Aaron and James, who made a great connection by finding a roommate to party and workout with because that’s the point of life they’re still in.

• Love 6

I kind of thought that the BiP couples might have a better chance at making in the real world than the Bachelor/ettes because they actually get to spend some time together versus the short snippets of time they get on the original show ('Scuze me, can I steal you for a minute?").  But then I remembered . . .alcohol.  Haha!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Real4real said:

I kind of thought that the BiP couples might have a better chance at making in the real world than the Bachelor/ettes because they actually get to spend some time together versus the short snippets of time they get on the original show ('Scuze me, can I steal you for a minute?").  But then I remembered . . .alcohol.  Haha!

Yeah, they get to know each other a lot better on this show. But also, you get to choose the person whereas on the bachelor/ette you HAVE to like one person and have to pretend to be interested in them even if you're really not. No matter what you look like (and most of the leads are just average looking in my opinion,) it would be unrealistic for 25-30 people to be interested in the same person. With bach in paradise, you pick who you find attractive, get to know them and actually have conversations other than just "i'm falling in love with you."

• Love 6
5 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I agree with you. I don’t think Riley’s Saturday morning fantasy is a gimmick to win over women. It’s genuinely how he pictures his future. Now was he just trying to find any woman to fit that role? The show will do that to you, I guess. But I do believe he fell hard and fast for Maurissa. I think he can’t wait to get married and have kids. There seems to be some misconception that women are the ones who want to settle down and get married, and men need to be chased and roped down. But plenty of guys also have their “biological clocks ticking” and are at the point where they want nothing more than to find someone to marry and have kids. It sounds like Riley’s father wasn’t there for him, so even moreso he built up in his mind the kind of husband and father he wants to be. I completely think he’s genuine, and I bet out of all 3 couples, they’ll be the first (only?) to get married. I’m not surprised that the three oldest (well, Ed was “old,” too but he wasn’t there long enough to secure a fiancé) guys are the ones who got engaged. These guys are ready to settle down and have a family. Contrast that with the younger Aaron and James, who made a great connection by finding a roommate to party and workout with because that’s the point of life they’re still in.

For the MAFS watchers on this board, Ryan on this current season is further evidence in support of your claim here.  He was a serial dater whose best friend died suddenly.  It was a wake up call and now he is desperate to have kids.  He has a great match, but is not feeling the butterflies, which is really a shame and I suspect more his fault than he realizes.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2021 at 8:26 AM, DEL901 said:

Someone asked about the Brendan / Pieper breakup…link is in the media thread.  

Just rematched the Aaron/Tia breakup….although that isn’t the right word for it.   Aaron called her aside….he only just walks out of earshot of everyone and Tia asks “you want to talk here?”   He couldn’t even take the time to take her to the beach or have a proper conversation with all the lies and platitudes usual spewed.   No “I like you but” or “it isn’t you, it is me”.   Just, “we’ve had fun, but James is leaving so I have to bounce”.   No hug, no kiss. He just turns and walks away.   It was wonderfully honest.  

That was the first time I've ever seen any appeal to Aaron, he DOES have a great smile and a sense of humor. but he spent 2 seasons furrowing his brows over "wrong reasons" guys and being a pain in the ass.

And since I don't think Tia really cared one way or the other, it was a light-hearted and humorous way to end that story.

James, OTOH, that was rough. He was really selling the idea that he was into Anna, so that harsh rejection surprised me. And it's hard to watch women like Anna on this show, she, like Kelsey and others, just seems so painfully lacking in confidence, it completely overrides their physical appearance.

Mykenna's face when Ed asked her to go to the FS was priceless. Also, never one to take the first rejection, he then follows up with that they should get to know each other after Paradise and she's all "um, how about you don't call me and I won't call you, 'kay?" LOL

Not many people think Kenny and Mari are going to last.  I'm probably wrong but I think I give them more of a chance than most people even if some of the other couples looked happier. 

It felt like they talked more about what getting engaged would actually mean for them after BIP.  I liked that he brought up the age difference and what that might mean about their lifestyle compatibility.  It's one thing not to feel like there is a difference but I also think it's important to recognize what having less life experience will look like practically.  

They did have the right conversations, but I don't know that Mari really knows what she's talking about in terms of having so much less life experience. When you're 25, you feel like an adult, like you've lived so much, but when you hit 40 and look back to your 25 year old self, you realize how young you were.

Same with Joe and Serena, I have no idea why they even went through the pretense of an engagement (although Serena REALLY, REALLy loved that ring). Nothing about that relationship is going to last beyond the convenience of the beach. I'm guessing they're just playing out the story and they'll casually break up soon enough.

I want to root for Riley and Maurissa.  I like them both.  But someone said the Sunday speech was something he gave Tayshia too?  And I don't know about anyone else but a guy can make a joke about his feelings once and get away with it.  I would have said exactly what Maurissa said when he tried to do it a second time.  But the minute he told her he "needed to think" about a proposal and actually sounded serious?  I probably would have walked away.  He can need to think about his feelings but IMO, one does not joke about a lack of feelings as a "psych" moment unless one is 100% certain about the reality of those feelings.

I had a moment's pause about the Sunday morning thing too, but honestly, it's what he wants, it's not actually dependent on the other person. The point of it was that he wants to get to that place with the person he wants to spend his life with. 

I don't remember much about him from Tayshia's season, but his chemistry with Maurissa is among the most genuine connections I've ever seen on these dumb shows. They truly clicked and I can believe that they'll make it, unlike every other couple on this season. 

Going back to Mari and Kenny, I thought it was hilarious that a guy who went on a show where the end game is to get engaged was voicing over that he never even considered getting engaged before. Not sure whose season he was, but I guess we can confirm he was there for the wrong reasons, lol. 

The ending credits almost made up for the miserable slog of wrong reasons mobs and terrible dates. Those chyrons were fabulous. Also, this...

I wonder why the show didn't mention that Chris and "this isn't your car, Chris" Alana are also dating.

just seems fitting to me. Those two were a cut-rate, B-level Brendan and Pieper, 2 people that no one remembered from their original show who thought this was their ticket to the big time (Alana thought that, anyway) and they failed to make a splash again.

As for Brendan and Pieper, I see that Brendan is still laying all the way low, but Pieper has returned to posting. People are still dragging her in the comments, but she seems to be ready to return to shilling.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Anna reminds me of Leslie Bibb. 

OH MY GOD, THANK YOU!! I knew there was someone that she was a dead ringer for, but I could not put my finger on exactly who it was. And Leslie Bibb isn't on my radar enough that I would have ever figured it out.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

OH MY GOD, THANK YOU!! I knew there was someone that she was a dead ringer for, but I could not put my finger on exactly who it was. And Leslie Bibb isn't on my radar enough that I would have ever figured it out.

You're welcome! I am a fan of Sam Rockwell'; he is her longtime boyfriend!

• Love 1

I can't tell if Serena is in love with Joe or in love with his fame. I mean, the guy was on Dancing With The Stars, that's gotta play at least a little part in her adoration toward him. 

I think Joe cares about Serena but was more in love with Kendall. Then again, he and Kendall had a lot longer relationship than he's so far had with Serena so I guess that will come. But looking at them together is just weird. Not that they look alike, but he looks like he could be her father age wise. She just looks SO young and little. Even her voice has a little girl sound. 

I read an article that they might be moving to NY together. I guess his partner didn't have to move to Chicago after all. 

• Love 3

They said in another article that they are splitting time between Chicago and Toronto for now, but NYC was an option since the both like the northeast.  

Also, Serena said she was surprised by the proposal since she thought they were just going to date after the show, so she was thrilled Joe proposed.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

At the end of the show when they were showing the different couples on the beach , didn't Serena say something like "my folks are going to kill me lol" while she was looking at her ring????

Yes, she said her family was going to kill her.

She was the one who was going deep in Matt's season when she took him to meet her family and promptly self-eliminated after talking with them.

I suspect that if she'd brought this 35 year old man she'd known for 3 weeks home to her family, they'd have set her straight pretty quickly about the idea of getting engaged and it wouldn't have happened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, she said her family was going to kill her.

She was the one who was going deep in Matt's season when she took him to meet her family and promptly self-eliminated after talking with them.

I suspect that if she'd brought this 35 year old man she'd known for 3 weeks home to her family, they'd have set her straight pretty quickly about the idea of getting engaged and it wouldn't have happened.

and they would have been right!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

They did have the right conversations, but I don't know that Mari really knows what she's talking about in terms of having so much less life experience. When you're 25, you feel like an adult, like you've lived so much, but when you hit 40 and look back to your 25 year old self, you realize how young you were.

I know that's true for some people but when I was 25, I felt pretty baked in.  I would say I grew more from 20-25 than I did in the decade after.  I wouldn't say I didn't change at all but at 25, I was done with the undergrad life and working my first career-type job, and not interested in the party scene.  To be fair, I was never into the party scene.

People do get married and have kids at 25 and Mari might be one of them. 

Now, I do miss my younger body.  That's the thing I'd tell my younger self to take better care of.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

I was kind of surprised that the finale had low ratings. I cried my eyes out and I love the couples. Wonder who will make it the aisle?

I think the ratings were low because it was 3 hours long. I’m not sure how they get the ratings now but I know I DVR’d it and split it because it was too tedious to watch at once.  

For the couples who last I think it’ll be Mari and Kenny and Riley and Maurissa with an extra nod to R/M.  Both Mari and Maurissa are moving to Chicago*/NYC soon.  Serena and Joe are going to split time which to me seems like a retreading of his last relationship obstacle.   I also think R/M actually had some serious and productive talks on and off camera.  They seem to be in sync like Jade and Tanner.  I also think they both are fine riding out their 15 mins of fame and then fading back to normal.  Their social media presence is light even with being on the show so it seems like they actually did it for the right reasons (right reasons).  I also spent way too much of my morning thinking of this.  Procrastinating is fun!

*Palos Hills, IL not Chicago.  As a true Chicagoan if you live an hour outside of the city and have your own mayor, you don’t get to call Chicago home.  (I know it’s easier to say to say Chicago as people know that but crabby)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I know that's true for some people but when I was 25, I felt pretty baked in.  I would say I grew more from 20-25 than I did in the decade after.  I wouldn't say I didn't change at all but at 25, I was done with the undergrad life and working my first career-type job, and not interested in the party scene.  To be fair, I was never into the party scene.

People do get married and have kids at 25 and Mari might be one of them. 

Now, I do miss my younger body.  That's the thing I'd tell my younger self to take better care of.

People get married at 25, but getting married to a 40 year old man when you're 25 is a different story. Kenny's lived nearly twice as long as her so far and has seemingly done so without even entertaining the idea of getting married, which seems like a bit of a red flag, but who knows. 

And while there are plenty of May-December relationships that do work out, one born on a 3 week reality show, during which Mari wanted to explore other options, Kenny DID explore other options, so they couldn't even keep it together for a few weeks on a beach with no real life concerns, that seems unlikely to be one of the relationships that goes the distance.

Isn’t anyone going to comment on the fact that Abigail was barefoot in the bathroom after Noah broke up with her?  That skeeved me out. 

It was so early in the 3 hour episode that I'd forgotten, but YES, that was disgusting.

• Love 3

Am I the only one who sees red flags with the Riley/Maurissa coupling? She seems very needy and immature. She's 25, has only known Riley for a couple of weeks, and has said that he was her first real date, but she was desperate to get engaged and really upset at the thought that it might not happen. Riley wants an equal partner and a family, but Maurissa is all about getting her "validation." I don't see them lasting after the initial infatuation has worn off.

On a shallow note, she needs to tone it down several notches with the glossy makeup and fake lashes. Her "glam" look screams 90s video vixen.

I also don't see either of the other two couples lasting. Kenny and Mari are polar opposites and will get sick of each other very quickly, and Serena, once she's back in the real world, will realize that she just got caught up in the moment and isn't ready to move to another country and marry a 37-year-old man.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Am I the only one who sees red flags with the Riley/Maurissa coupling? She seems very needy and immature. She's 25, has only only known Riley for a couple of weeks, and has said that he was her first real date, but she was desperate to get engaged and really upset at the thought that it might not happen. Riley wants an equal partner and a family, but Maurissa is all about getting her "validation." I don't see them lasting after the initial infatuation has worn off.

On a shallow note, she needs to tone it down several notches with the glossy makeup and fake lashes. Her "glam" look screams 90s video vixen.

I also don't see either of the other two couples lasting. Kenny and Mari are polar opposites and will get sick of each other very quickly, and Serena, once she's back in the real world, will realize that she just got caught up in the moment and isn't ready to move to another country and marry a 37-year-old man.

I completely agree with you on all fronts!  Maurissa and Riley give me red flags- an overeager 20 something who has issues about being used for sex in her past meets a sweet talking lawyer who seduces her on day one.  I get anxious vs avoidant attachment style vibes from them and she'll constantly be doing a dog and pony show to seek his approval.  I can't stand Maurissa's fake lashes and heavy makeup either.  Kenny and Mauri are way too big of an age gap and Serena and Joe are too.  I'm put off by a lot of older men who have never been married and continue to seek out impressionable early-20's women instead of pursuing age appropriate women who have more compatibility, life experience and reasonable expectations to bring to the table. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Those 20 something millennial  women nowadays  probably have slim pickings trying to find decent, educated,sucessful men with a strong work ethic among those 20 something millennial men who are more interested in videogames, partying,chasing tail,homeboys who still live at home and  feel that W O R K  is a bad 4 letter word. What's really messed up is how many 30 and 40  year old men are in the same mindframe. 

Edited by One4Sorrow2TooBad
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Am I the only one who sees red flags with the Riley/Maurissa coupling? She seems very needy and immature. She's 25, has only known Riley for a couple of weeks, and has said that he was her first real date, but she was desperate to get engaged and really upset at the thought that it might not happen. Riley wants an equal partner and a family, but Maurissa is all about getting her "validation." I don't see them lasting after the initial infatuation has worn off.

The chyron listed Joe as 35, but I understand your point. Serena seems too young for him IMO. Their difference location is also a big obstacle. I’m surprised he’d go along with that given what happened with Kendall. 

I like Maurissa and Riley but agree she seems needy and insecure. I hope it works out between them. 

I don’t really understand the Kenny and Mari pairing. I agree with him that she seems older than 25, but there is a reason he’s 40 and has never even gotten close to marriage. Where do they both live? Are they near each other?

I got impatient with the long running time and fast-forwarded through a lot of the show, even some of the proposals. I just wanted to get to the end! I was surprised there were three proposals. I’ve never seen that on BIP before. 

Interesting about the two couples who broke up on air but are now dating. I didn’t like how Abigail treated Noah. Not sure about Thomas and Beccca. Was he sincere of playing it up for the cameras? Remember how the early episodes painted him as kind of full of himself?

I’ve noticed the really exaggerated, fake-looking eyelashes trend, especially on younger women. I don’t get it! And why did Maurissa and Riley look so sweaty but the other couples seemed fine? I wonder if there were long gaps in the time and it was just really hot for M and R. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2021 at 4:02 PM, chocolatine said:

She's 25, has only known Riley for a couple of weeks, and has said that he was her first real date, but she was desperate to get engaged and really upset at the thought that it might not happen.

She made the distinction that the kind of dates she went on were more casual, like mini-golf, and she hadn't been on a big romantic dinner date--although she also said she had been asked.  She chose not to go for some reason. 

As for the rest of it, the premise of the show is only knowing someone a few weeks.  And they're clearly egged on about getting engaged not getting engaged. 

I'm not saying they're going to last but I don't see Maurissa as desperate.  Having some insecurities?  Yes but it's not like she was some kind of wallflower.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Maurissa and Riley give me red flags- an overeager 20 something who has issues about being used for sex

I must have missed this.  When did she say she was used for sex?  She said she was sexual and liked sex.  She was with Connor when she met Riley.  She had options.  She chose to go to bed with Riley because she wanted to.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She made the distinction that the kind of dates she went on were more casual, like mini-golf, and she hadn't been on a big romantic dinner date--although she also said she had been asked.  She chose not to go for some reason. 

As for the rest of it, the premise of the show is only knowing someone a few weeks.  And they're clearly egged on about getting engaged not getting engaged. 

I'm not saying they're going to last but I don't see Maurissa as desperate.  Having some insecurities?  Yes but like she was some kind of wallflower.

I must have missed this.  When did she say she was used for sex?  She said she was sexual and liked sex.  She was with Connor when she met Riley.  She had options.  She chose to go to bed with Riley because she wanted to.

I agree that Maurissa never specifically said she was used for sex, but its what I gathered based on her first date with Riley.   Maurissa told Riley that she's very sexual in a relationship, doesn't get reassurance from men, and has never been taken on a real date in  her relationships- essentially that men unfortunately didn't fully value her.  Maurissa was putting all of her insecurities on the table on the first date in hopes of Riley building her up on each one and then felt validated by his responses and started talking about how sexual she was- Riley then escalated the situation and suggested sex.  Maurissa made a choice to have sex with Riley on the first date, but I think that she was broadcasting a lot of vulnerability that night and they both should have gathered their thoughts, enjoyed the rest of their first date and saved sex for a later time.  This show thrives on accelerated timing of bonds/hookups though, so maybe their timing was perfect for this season! 😄

• Love 6
On 10/8/2021 at 6:45 PM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I completely agree with you on all fronts!  Maurissa and Riley give me red flags- an overeager 20 something who has issues about being used for sex in her past meets a sweet talking lawyer who seduces her on day one.  I get anxious vs avoidant attachment style vibes from them and she'll constantly be doing a dog and pony show to seek his approval.  I can't stand Maurissa's fake lashes and heavy makeup either.  Kenny and Mauri are way too big of an age gap and Serena and Joe are too.  I'm put off by a lot of older men who have never been married and continue to seek out impressionable early-20's women instead of pursuing age appropriate women who have more compatibility, life experience and reasonable expectations to bring to the table. 

My parents met when my mom was 18, and my dad 32.  They got married a month after my mom's 20th birthday, I was born 2 days after her 21st birthday, and they celebrated 45 years of marriage last april.  I mean, it *can* work out.  I do think expectations might have been less in the mid-70s, though, as far as "life experiences".  And, to be fair, who was the oldest woman there? Was there even any woman over 30? I'm not sure Kenny had much pickins as far as that.

Edited by Monkeyrocks
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Monkeyrocks said:

My parents met when my mom was 18, and my dad 32.  They got married a month after my mom's 20th birthday, I was born 2 days after her 21st birthday, and they celebrated 45 years of marriage last april.  I mean, it *can* work out.  I do think expectations might have been less in the mid-70s, though, as far as "life experiences".  

Congratulations on your parents wedding anniversary! They're great proof that age gap relationships can work.  I'm new to the Bachelor in Paradise franchise and I guess I'm confused by the fact that any of these couples can find love/engagements in such a short time frame.  I hope that these couples take the time to really evaluate their relationships outside of the limelight of TV. 

• Love 1
On 10/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, LindaT said:

When you tease that Kendall is going to be on the final episode, she better arrive with a declaration of love for Joe and an intent to move to Chicago or it is a waste of a cameo.  Very disappointing for this viewer who is still on team Kendall.  Joe still loves Kendall.  If he didn't, he wouldn't have felt like crying after she left.  Serena and Joe are doomed once he admits to himself that he still loves Kendall. 

I was SO hoping for that! I never liked Serena, and I know I'm being shallow but for their Fantasy Suite evening and then the proposal the next day it didn't look like she made any effort. No makeup and the least flattering, just hanging there, lackluster hairstyle. It looked so much better when she'd straighten it and pull the top portion back in a barrette. Just do something with it!  

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 4