Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Fan Fiction

• Start Topic

Nice one! Loved the Super Fans and that all the residents and staff were listening to the show now. I couldn't believe The Team went full-in on Teddy and Theo as Tim's murderers, though. (It might've been that I was expecting a twist rather than believing their theory was incorrect. The Detective supported it after all.)

No way was Jan simply an innocent victim, so why was she so adamant they look at the Cat Guy, and was that why she was targeted? ETA: Who knew she was pushing the Cat suspect? Remember when Mabel could hear Bunny through the heating vent in her bathroom -- something similar here or was her proximity to Charles enough and this was to warn them off?

I didn't like that suddenly there's video footage. Where else are there cameras? And all that build-up to The Cutter and the meeting at Tavo's shop and it resolves with Oscar interjecting that he'd met The Cutter and Tim had gotten the green ring. Was Oscar going to share that if the conversation hadn't circled around to the ring? That update deserved a special meeting as it answered "Why Now?" The phone contents did, too.

RIP Jan. We'll always remember the Scrabble Sexting.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 4

Whelp, it sounds like the Teddy and Theo are likely going down for the grave-robbing and cover-up of Zoe's death, but I'm not surprised that it looks like they aren't responsible for Tim's death.  After-all, there are still two episodes, so there is plenty of time for more twist and turns!

Things certainly don't look good for Jan, but while she was right about it not being Teddy and Theo, I'm finding a lot of what she did suspicious here.  She seemed a little too invested with making the team go back to their first suspect (the cat guy), and she didn't look shocked by that note on the door, but more concerned and frightened.  Like she knew who it was and the reason why she got it.  Definitely think there will be a lot more to her and her potential involvement in everything.

The Super Fans were fun.  I liked how it led to a few meta moments as well, like making fun of the idea of Sting being an actual suspect (but you never know!) and complaining about an episode that went nowhere.  And of course they would all be more than willing to participate in a possible murder reenactment that is directed by none other than Oliver Putnam himself!

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My memory is terrible.  Did Tim also get a "I'm watching you" note on his door before he was killed?  I know someone did but I can't recall who.

The only other note on the door I remember was on Oscars, “End the podcast or I’ll end you” or something like that. I remember the “E”’s were distinctive.

6 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Jan's apartment is an A.  And they get each other's mail all the time.  Does Jan have the emerald ring?  Or did she before she was murdered?

That’s a solid idea. So whomever killed Jan now has the green ring.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Jan's apartment is an A.  And they get each other's mail all the time.  Does Jan have the emerald ring?  Or did she before she was murdered?

I don't think we were ever shown Jan having the ring in her possession. The last time we were shown the ring was in Theo's memory when he returned it to his father, after the horrible events on the roof. Zoe pulled it off her finger and thrust it at him, and started shoving him and he grabbed her, and then let her go and she tumbled off the roof.  Theo ran back to Teddy, and threw up, and gave his father the ring. Last time ring was shown in the possession of anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

That episode did nothing that would help me detect who was Tim Kono's killer or further the mystery plot along. I wish they would have spent it on the evidence on Tim Kono's phone. They have an entire phone full of new evidence and yet they had to turn to fans for clues.

The only useful thing they said was why was Tim Kono on the sixth floor, carrying a garbage bag? 

There was something about the way Oscar and the podscasters were arranged in that scene towards the end where Mabel plays Tim's video on his phone and Oscar is crying. I think Oscar may have shot Tim, not realizing the Dimases were behind his going to prison unjustly.☹️
If Oscar did kill Tim, and if he is convicted, and if Oscar is also fully pardoned for Zoe's murder, does "time served" count? I mean, if Oscar is given 10 years for the murder of Tim Kono, but exonerated for Zoe's murder, do the 10 years he served for Zoe's murder count for Tim's?

Either Jan or the fans mentioned the garbage bag Tim was carrying right before he was shot.
In a previous episode, Charles used a garbage bag as a prop to explain why he was in the hallway when he was sneaking into an apartment and one of the neighbors opened her door and saw him. 
Perhaps Tim was also using a garbage bag that way to avoid suspicion as to why he was on a floor not his own (i.e., the Dimases).

7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Ooo! This reads like the opening lines to the next podcast! (After, of course, appropriate remembrance of Jan and her generous baked goods. May she rest.)

6 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I don't think we were ever shown Jan having the ring in her possession. The last time we were shown the ring was in Theo's memory when he returned it to his father, after the horrible events on the roof. Zoe pulled it off her finger and thrust it at him, and started shoving him and he grabbed her, and then let her go and she tumbled off the roof.  Theo ran back to Teddy, and threw up, and gave his father the ring. Last time ring was shown in the possession of anyone. 

True and true.
But.
What if Tim Kono had stolen the ring back from the Dimases by sending it to himself and it went to Jan's because "Jan's apartment is an A. And they get each other's mail all the time"?
Or. 
Maybe Theo was still wanting to unburden his own guilt of Oscar's suffering in prison for 10 years, so Theo was in communication with Tim and mailed the ring to Tim, but it went to Jan by accident because "Jan's apartment is an A. And they get each other's mail all the time."

This is beginning to sound like the making of a folk ballad with the refrain of  "Jan's apartment is an A. And they get each other's mail all the time."

8 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I didn't like that suddenly there's video footage. Where else are there cameras?

This actually is plausible.

• First, from the episode transcript (with emphasis added): "...one of the neighbors on 2 has a Ring camera pointed at the courtyard..."
    My daughter and her husband have cameras pointing at their porch to catch "porch pirates" and also to catch hit-n-runs when they had street parking.
    I bet there are a lot of them in the building.

• Secondly, we know that initially the detective didn't think the case required much detecting, so she probably didn't canvas the entire building for personal security cameras. 

Am I the only one really wishing there weren't 3 secondary characters whose names begin with "T"? (Tim, Theo, and Teddy)

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Okay, Tim was desperate to get his hand on a package that had been delivered to the wrong apartment along the A-line.  Tim is also despterate to get the green ring and Cutter has told Oscar that Tim had, in fact, gotten his hands on the green ring.   When The Only Murders crew find the misdelivered box in Bunny's apartment and open it up it is a generic engagement ring.   But there is no real reason for Tim to be super desperate to get a generic engagement ring.  He's got books and books and books full of jewlery.    The ring he's desperate to get is the green ring.

So follow me here.  Jan is also on the a-line.  She picks up the package and opens it because she lives alone so why should she worry over who the package is addressed to, she lives alone.  All the mail she orders is for her.  She opens the package and finds the green ring.   She decides to keep the green ring because she particularly likes green, or because the green ring has some significance to her (maybe she had a relationship with Teddy?  Maybe she had a relationship with Theo?  Maybe her mother was the person they originally stole the green ring from?  Maybe she just thinks the green ring would really, really pop when she plays the bassoon on stage?) she knows somebody though is going to be missing the ring and come looking for it.  So she puts a generic engagement ring in the box, closes it back up and visits Bunny.  She sends Bunny off to make some tea and drops the package in a pile of Bunny's mail.   

Jan leaves.  Bunny sees the mail and realizes one of her packages is for Tim Kono.  She is NOT going all over the building to run down Tim so she alerts the mail room to their mistake.   The mail room tells Tim where to find the package.   Tim, of course, is one day going to find the package and find it doesn't contain the green ring, rather it contains generic engagement ring, but at this point his suspects are Teddy (or whomever he uses to fence things) and Bunny because nobody ever knows Jan had the green ring.

But obviously somebody does know Jan has the green ring because they've been watching her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

This actually is plausible.

• First, from the episode transcript (with emphasis added): "...one of the neighbors on 2 has a Ring camera pointed at the courtyard..."
    My daughter and her husband have cameras pointing at their porch to catch "porch pirates" and also to catch hit-n-runs when they had street parking.
    I bet there are a lot of them in the building.

• Secondly, we know that initially the detective didn't think the case required much detecting, so she probably didn't canvas the entire building for personal security cameras. 

Oh! I don’t doubt the footage is real, I’m saying it’s reveal is convenient. I don’t want the killer or the motive to be a surprise reveal 5 minutes before the show ends, and this sudden emergence of video footage makes me think that’s where we’re headed. 

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The only useful thing they said was why was Tim Kono on the sixth floor, carrying a garbage bag? 

As soon as they pointed that out, I immediately thought that Tim had snuck into the Dimas's apartment to steal their trash to look through. I think the suicide notes were real, and that Theo wrote them.

I think Jan will survive, it looks like maybe the wound/blood was on her side, not like a direct hit.

As an aside from the mystery, the "Nice, Hot Vegetables" picture in Charles's kitchen cracks me up. I just do not understand Real Art sometimes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Tim was poisoned and already dead at the time he was shot. Whoever shot him didn't know this meaning it was done hastily. An in-and-out job when the fire alarm went off. There are two killers out there; the second one who used a gun we can assume was able-bodied and athletic(um, not an older tenant of the Arconia). From Tim Kono's head wounds in episode 2 it looks like the bullet hit him from the black of the head, the second killer likely didn't even see Tim's face, otherwise they would have figured out he was dead.

Both Oliver and Jan received threatening notes on their doors. Oliver's dog was poisoned meanwhile Jan was shot and killed. Does that mean the killers are in cahoots? Who was eavesdropping when Jan helped with the investigation? I wonder if after Jan received the note she went to confront one of the killers which resulted in her next-to-immediate murder.

• Useful 1

Tim was poisoned and already dead at the time he was shot. Whoever shot him didn't know this meaning it was done hastily. An in-and-out job when the fire alarm went off. There are two killers out there; the second one who used a gun we can assume was able-bodied and athletic(um, not an older tenant of the Arconia). From Tim Kono's head wounds in episode 2 it looks like the bullet hit him from the black of the head, the second killer likely didn't even see Tim's face, otherwise they would have figured out he was dead.

Both Oliver and Jan received threatening notes on their doors. Oliver's dog was poisoned meanwhile Jan was shot and killed. Does that mean the killers are in cahoots? Who was eavesdropping when Jan helped with the investigation? I wonder if after Jan received the note she went to confront one of the killers which resulted in her next-to-immediate murder.

37 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you think Theo was suicidal? Or...?

That was my initial thought - guilt over Zoe's death, unhappiness with his life under his father/stealing from the dead, etc.

Also, Detective Charmonique said she was running a low-key tox/fingerprint scan on Tim's laptop, but when she got the email at the end of the episode it said it was an updated autopsy report. Tim's body was sent back to his parents in Japan the day after he was murdered (or two days later, that whole bit of timeline didn't make sense to me). Either way, I didn't think they did an autopsy. Is this just poor oversight on the show's part, or is it something of note?

In other news, that seems now to be three people (beings?) who have been poisoned. Tim Kono, confirmed. Winnie the dog, confirmed I'm assuming by Oliver's veterinarian son. Evelyn the cat, presumed but maybe confirmed in the meantime by Harold and his own pursuits?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Abra said:

seems now to be three people (beings?) who have been poisoned. Tim Kono, confirmed. Winnie the dog, confirmed I'm assuming by Oliver's veterinarian son. Evelyn the cat, presumed but maybe confirmed in the meantime by Harold and his own pursuits?

Traditionally in fiction, murder by poison points to a female killer --although it's not so IRL: wired.com/2013/01/the-myth-of-the-female-poisoner.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Jan is still suspicious to me. Remember her dinner date with Steve Martin? Her father abandoned them to start a new family. Could Zoe be her half sister? Did a 10 years younger Jan manipulate all 3 boys to get at Zoe.  Also was Tim crying in that video because Oscar was holding a gun on him and forcing him to do an exonerating video to accompany the suicide note?  It just felt like all the evidence on the phone was too obvious.

• Like 1

I couldn't watch it until this am. I liked the car ride section and the podcast fans but I felt kind of let down by the rest. Am I the only one who thinks that the police are really really sloppy here? They had taken a toxicology report but never checked it? 

There must be some corruption right? 

After last week I decided that Teddy and Theo were not the killers.  It was too easy, and too early.  And this just confirmed it.  There is plenty there to keep them in trouble though.  When Jan started talking about Howard Morris, I started coming around to him as the killer, as revenge.  But Im not convinced.  

I think I will stick with my latest theory, Bunny.  Tim Kono was not paying his building fees, and she means business.  And she found out about the jewelry when she received a loved ones pieces in the mail addressed to Tim Kono. She assumed he was behind the theft, and responded.  But, more because of the late building fees.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

I think I will stick with my latest theory, Bunny.  Tim Kono was not paying his building fees, and she means business.  And she found out about the jewelry when she received a loved ones pieces in the mail addressed to Tim Kono. She assumed he was behind the theft, and responded.  But, more because of the late building fees.  

Murder seems a drastic response when she could have him evicted. Why risk life in prison, when all you have to do is boot him out of the building?   He had to be a threat to someone alive, or else it's not worth killing him.  OR, a crime of passion and if she passionately wanted to remove him from the building she had other avenues than murder. 🤭

• Love 6

I knew that it wouldn't be Teddy and Theo, it was too easily wrapped up with too much show left. Theo did accidently kill Zoey and, much worse, they covered it up and let Oscar go to jail for the crime, as well as robbing the dead, but they didn't kill Tim. This is something I have suspected since we found out that Tim was looking into black-market jewelry, that he was trying to clear Oscar's name and we think he got killed over that, but it was actually unrelated. I think Jan is onto something about the poisoned cat, it seems like too much of coincidence that Tim and the cat that was in his apartment were both poisoned. 

Loved seeing the super fans, they were a lot of fun and it allowed the show to engage in some fun meta commentary. "Did they really expect us to think that Sting was the killer?" They even got to do a reenactment, even if Oliver's theory might be a bit over the top, not surprisingly. 

I hope that Jan is alright and that she isn't actually the killer. After its taken him so long to open up to anyone again, Charles would be crushed either way. There are so many little details that have been thrown out, the murder in the park, the dead cat, the lady who has dirt on everyone, Jan getting Tim's mail, its always tough separating the random details, the red herrings, and the actual clues.

I am glad that Mabel and Oscar know that Tim was trying to help, although I am not sure if they know he kept quiet to protect Mabel yet. That must be really confusing emotionally, Mabel felt so bad at the start of the show that Tim seemed like he had just been a bad guy who no one liked, she wanted there to be something good about her old friend despite being furious with him, and now she knows that he really wasn't a bad person and cared about her and Oscar, but him trying to do the right thing might have gotten him killed and now he's dead and there's no time for them to reconnect. Its really sad that Tim died before they ever really got the chance to make up.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope that Jan is alright and that she isn't actually the killer. After its taken him so long to open up to anyone again, Charles would be crushed either way. There are so many little details that have been thrown out, the murder in the park, the dead cat, the lady who has dirt on everyone, Jan getting Tim's mail, its always tough separating the random details, the red herrings, and the actual clues.

Has that been proven?  I mean, did she actually say she had gotten his mail, or were we shown her receiving Tim's mail, or is that speculation based on Bunny having Tim's package earlier in the show, and Charles saying that his mail goes astray?

I am glad that Mabel and Oscar know that Tim was trying to help, although I am not sure if they know he kept quiet to protect Mabel yet. That must be really confusing emotionally, Mabel felt so bad at the start of the show that Tim seemed like he had just been a bad guy who no one liked, she wanted there to be something good about her old friend despite being furious with him, and now she knows that he really wasn't a bad person and cared about her and Oscar, but him trying to do the right thing might have gotten him killed and now he's dead and there's no time for them to reconnect. Its really sad that Tim died before they ever really got the chance to make up.

I hope that the fullness of what Tim was doing (protecting Mabel's life) is shown because that video only revealed (to us the audience) that he was trying to clear Oscar's name.  I was a bit miffed that all of the stuff on Tim's phone was not revealed to the audience as it was found by the team, but as a monologue (sort of) from Charles and Jan. All the action of unearthing the evidence on Tim's phone took place offscreen, and that was a weakness in the show, to me. I think it would have been more effective had we been there with the team as they went through the phone. 

I agree with you, though, TENNISGURL, that it's really sad that Tim died before he could reconnect with his friends. 😥

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

They had taken a toxicology report but never checked it? 

There must be some corruption right? 

The cop suspects corruption for various reasons but tox reports can take weeks to come back, especially if murder isn't suspected.  I thought the cop said that she had just gotten the tox reports when she called Oliver.

If Tim was killed for not paying the building fees, Oliver better watch his back.  He hasn't paid them either.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

This suddenly occurred to me:  Tim was murdered twice (assuming he didn't poison himself).  If someone shot him not too long after he died, and he was still bleeding, the cat walks through the blood and leave the bloody paw print.  Then later the cat licks it's paw to clean it, ingests some of the poison that was in Tim's bloodstream, and dies.  

Also, two people wanted him dead. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 15

BUT WHY THE DEATH THREAT THEN???

IF THEY DIDN'T KILL TIM KONO WHY NOT TRY AND PROVE THEIR INNOCENCE INSTEAD OF TYING THEM UP AND SCARING THEM

IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

AND THEY HAVE A PERFECTLY VALID MOTIVE TOO IT ALL FITS

16 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This suddenly occurred to me:  Tim was murdered twice (assuming he didn't poison himself).  If someone shot him not too long after he died, and he was still bleeding, the cat walks through the blood and leave the bloody paw print.  Then later the cat licks it's paw to clean it, ingests some of the poison that was in Tim's bloodstream, and dies.  

@Quilt Fairy gets the Super Sleuth Award for the episode! 🏆

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

or somebody poisoned Tim Kono and then put a gun in his mouth to make it seem like he committed suicide. The cat could have eaten some of the poison food that Tim Kono ate.

Did they find the gun, I don't remember them mentioning that?

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Superfans?  That sounds like Oliver's wet dream. 

Mabel: Oh, my god. We have fans?!

Oliver: Oh, thank god. We have fans!

4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

OH NO KONO!

There are a few possibilities. Tim was poisoned by one person, still alive and shot by a second person. Tim was poisoned by one person, still alive and committed suicide. Tim was poisoned by one person, dead and then shot by either person one or two. Not sure how to reconcile the last scenario. If you have a gun and you are willing to shoot him then why poison him? Why would a second person shoot him if he were already dead? I do think they are heading in the direction that two people were involved especially since one of the superfans (the Arconiacs!) mentioned two suspects.

I'm just going to throw this out there and see if it sticks: Jan poisoned Tim Kono with her homemade pizza rolls.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don't think Jan is dead, but is seriously injured.

It's possible the police had the ring camera footage, but it didn't become relevant until Teddy and Theo claimed to be in the courtyard before the murder.  Someone rechecked the footage and confirmed they were on it.

My favorite throwaway moment was when Oliver explaining that he directed a mash-up of Tuesdays with Morrie and Weekend at Bernie's.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

My favorite throwaway moment was when Oliver explaining that he directed a mash-up of Tuesdays with Morrie and Weekend at Bernie's.

And Mabel not having any idea what he was talking about. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I loved how at the end of Charles recording the last episode everyone was applauding and in the background Oscar, who has been asleep on the couch, wakes up for a brief second, throws a thumbs up, and then falls back down on the couch. This show has the best little background moments.

I don't think Jan is dead, but I'm also not sure who's side she's on. Why was she so intent on moving the trio off of the Dimas men and onto that guy who's cat was poisoned? I also didn't like that she just barged right in, claimed she was part of the team after a measly 24 hours with Charles, and tried to take over. I was with Oliver and Mabel on that one. 

I also didn't understand the point of Theo kidnapping Mabel and Oliver, driving them all the way to the airport in a body van, and then just letting them go. Why didn't he just tie them up in the funeral home basement and wait for Teddy there? It seemed like a stupid risk for basically a car ride where Teddy could threaten them. 

The super fans were adorable. I'll bet that kid is seething that he missed everything because he had a piano lesson.

• Love 12

I have to say, the one thing I have trouble with is the whole story with Zoe's death. I guess the point is that Teddy created a huge problem and ruined someone's life for absolutely no reason, but it's still a bit hard to believe that Tim didn't tell the truth. Presumably he understood that Teddy's goal was protecting Theo and not framing Oscar, and since Tim and Theo were both super rich kids who could both truthfully say that nobody pushed Zoe off the roof there was no reason for anybody to lie. Plus, the time of Zoe's death would have been pretty easy to note (presumably there was a splat) and Oscar would have returned to the party quite a while before that.

I wonder if Jan was supposed to be shady in the way she was putting forth other theories or just true. I noticed that right from when she started talking about what they found on the phone she was much better than the team about being clear about what they actually knew and what they didn't. They were eager to jump on Teddy and Theo but she was looking at all the evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I was completely with Oliver and Mabel about Jan.  What a buttinski.

Why is no one looking into who Zoe stole the green ring from?

Didn't Mabel (and Oscar and Tim Kono for that matter?) see Zoe steal the green ring?

If Jan isn't dead she'll be able to identify who hurt her and then less mystery?  And the mystery needs to wrap up soonish but "this is who did it and why" from Jan's hospital bed feels anticlimactic.   

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

They should know who Zoe stole the ring from, all the Hardy Boys were there when she took it.

Maybe, but when Mabel noticed it on her finger on NYE, she asked her where she got it and then said something about oh you found it. But I don't think she connected it to their time in the Dimas apartment.  Oscar, however, saw Zoe find it and put it on when they're in there, and told her she couldn't keep it. He at least noticed she had a ring at that point.  But whether or not he remembered it was the emerald ring ...

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Whelp, it sounds like the Teddy and Theo are likely going down for the grave-robbing and cover-up of Zoe's death, but I'm not surprised that it looks like they aren't responsible for Tim's death.  After-all, there are still two episodes, so there is plenty of time for more twist and turns!

If they didn't do the podcast, the whole graverobbing would have never been uncovered, so that's still good. 

The killer better be someone we've seen already and not someone all of a sudden in the next episode. 

Mabel's disgust about the sex - what's the safe word to get out of this conversation - was hilarious. 

I liked Dimas' show posters on the wall too - Newark, Newark!

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1