Type keyword(s) to search

Ghostly Media Talk

DanaK
  • Start Topic

A perfect 'Isaac gasp" moment if ever there was one :D. 

That's awesome. I love that they shared a quote in which he's ranting about Hamilton, too, LOL. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Ghosts promo

It is?  They must be invisible or took over Todd's body.

• LOL 2

I'm looking forward to this episode, but I only stream, so I won't be able to watch it until Friday. Still, this episode should be fun, but I worry Pete will get lost, and then we will be without another ghost. Also, I wonder if his ex-wife will show up in this episode. It's been a couple of episodes without Carol even being mentioned. 

• Like 1

I like when the actor playing Thor responds to his goof in character in that blooper reel clip:  I cannot say line.  This is funny to me, not to anyone else.  Waste of time - again.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

In olden days, if a show started on the half hour, that was often a "hammock slot," meaning a new or low-rated show was placed between two higher-rated shows, in the hope that viewers would not bother to change channels.  Guessing that is no longer the case, because Ghosts does well in the ratings (IIRC) and networks don't keep low-rated shows around as long as they used to.

• Useful 1

Intriguing that in one of the interviews with Brandon Scott Jones, he said there was more than one version of the wedding scene because they hadn't yet determined who was going to leave whom at the altar.  I'd be interested to know what the writers would have thought of as Nigel's justification for calling it off.  The only thing I can think of is that he'd have sensed Isaac's hesitance and wouldn't want to marry someone who wasn't as committed as he was.  But I think they went the right way by having Isaac do it.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, PaulE said:

Intriguing that in one of the interviews with Brandon Scott Jones, he said there was more than one version of the wedding scene because they hadn't yet determined who was going to leave whom at the altar.  I'd be interested to know what the writers would have thought of as Nigel's justification for calling it off.  The only thing I can think of is that he'd have sensed Isaac's hesitance and wouldn't want to marry someone who wasn't as committed as he was.  But I think they went the right way by having Isaac do it.

I'd wondered about that, too, yeah! I'd like to hear more about how the version with Nigel breaking things off might've gone. 

I also have to laugh at how Jones' reaction to Isaac being taken by Patience is basically, "No, yeah, that's fair, he deserves it." XD. 

• Like 3
(edited)

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/story/brandon-scott-jones-ghosts-cbs

He’s speculating excitedly about the comedy royalty Ghosts might bring on to play Patience, a feral Puritan ghost introduced in season three’s finale who has a vendetta against Isaac: “Amy Sedaris, wouldn’t that be really cool? My God, Molly Shannon. Cheri Oteri! Ana Gasteyer!”

--------------------------------

And he’s very happy to be a regular on a show that millions of people are actually watching, though like many industry insiders with a background in legit comedy—you know, the kind that has jokes—he’ll admit to being a bit bewildered about how dark most shows the TV Academy qualifies as “comedies” are. “I’m trying to answer this as diplomatically as possible,” he says. “I don’t know if it frustrates me so much as it just confounds me. I do love those shows. But if I put them on I don’t put them on to laugh. How about that?”

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I would be so down for Amy Sedaris showing up on here :D. I do wonder if they'll go with a well-known name for Patience, 'cause that could be a tight line to walk, wanting someone recognizable who can also disappear into the character. But yeah, his suggestions are fun ones to throw out there, even if they're simply wish fulfillment :D. 

I also agree with him about what constitutes a comedy in awards circles. It would be nice to see this show get some award recognition at some point, but even if it doesn't, I'm glad that it's doing so well with viewers, and I hope the show sticks around as long as they're all albe/want to keep doing it. 

Very nice interview, thanks for sharing that :). 

• Like 1

The Hollywood Reporter published an interview with the showrunners and some of the cast members. The showrunners stated that with ten episodes they wanted to highlight each character. They also planned for one ghost to commit suicide and it was Hetty. There is a video with the article but it stopped before I finished watching it.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/story/brandon-scott-jones-ghosts-cbs

He’s speculating excitedly about the comedy royalty Ghosts might bring on to play Patience, a feral Puritan ghost introduced in season three’s finale who has a vendetta against Isaac: “Amy Sedaris, wouldn’t that be really cool? My God, Molly Shannon. Cheri Oteri! Ana Gasteyer!”

The site won't let me have access to the article; however, I'm not crazy about Brandon's suggestions, but I could live with any of them for a short duration.  Others may love these potential castings, but there are sooooo many to choose from the world of comedy.  Right now my brain keeps going to Jennifer Saunders, but if I were asked tomorrow, I likely would have moved away from that....  LOL  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I would actually prefer they cast a relative unknown for Patience. I don't want some big star to come in and steal focus. I like that the ghosts are an ensemble, not driven by somebody being a much bigger celebrity presence than the others.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I doubt they'll actually go TOO big name with whomever they get for Patience, and I don't think Brandon was being super serious with some of his suggestions, either. I think he was just throwing out fun fantasy ideas more than anything :D. 

But I agree, I think it's better to have Patience be an actor who's not all that well-known, Both for the reasons you note and because I think it'll help add to the lore and mystery about her as a character. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

My dream casting for Patience would be Katy Wix who played Mary in UK Ghosts and is a wonderfully understated hilarious. Since they had Matthew Baynton on already, they are not adverse to using a UK Ghosts actor. Of course I'm slightly biased as I'd like Katy Wix to be in everything I watch. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

My dream casting for Patience would be Katy Wix who played Mary in UK Ghosts and is a wonderfully understated hilarious. Since they had Matthew Baynton on already, they are not adverse to using a UK Ghosts actor. Of course I'm slightly biased as I'd like Katy Wix to be in everything I watch. 

Wait, this is such a perfect idea? Her character would totally fit Patience based on what we know of her so far. Hopefully the showrunners check this forum sometimes.

• Like 1

My firm preference for Patience is another SNL veteran. She was also on The King Of Queens and I think she is great, and would love to have her on my now favorite sitcom. 

Rachel Dratch

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I guess it depends on whether they plan to have Patience stick around, or if she's going to be here for a short arc and then back to the mud. 

I could deal with an over the top portrayal or a star, if it's only a short arc, but I was hoping they plan to add her to the ensemble, and in that case I think less is more.

• Like 2

I think the cast is fine as it is and doesn't need any additions. They added Carol and did nothing with her character. The other ghosts will never accept her if she hurts Isaac.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/3/2024 at 4:23 PM, AnimeMania said:

Germany and France making their own version of "Ghosts".

1 hour ago, Arynm said:

I hope we are able to see all of these remakes, I just adore the UK one.

Yes. I just finally started catching up on the UK one, and I like watching shows and movies with subtitles; I always have captions on anyway.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, Arynm said:

I hope we are able to see all of these remakes, I just adore the UK one.

From the cast photo it appears the German version is a 1:1 adaptation of the UK one, yet the article describes somewhat different characters with different names. So they apparently copied the look of the characters more than anything else.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Hey, all! I'd really love the folks behind Ghosts to release special features (commentaries, deleted scenes, etc.) and I'd be willing to pay for said features, and wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way, so I made a poll on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GhostsCBS/comments/1dih79l/special_features_and_audio_commentaries/

I'd super appreciate it if you guys would vote on it and if you'd pass the link on to other Ghost viewers in your life! If you hate Reddit, just sign up one time with a throwaway email account you never use. Thanks in advance!

• Useful 2

According to TV Guide Ghosts was the sixth rated series for the year. That's impressive considering the year only had ten episodes.

• Like 3

TV Line did an article about current shows that have the best ensemble casts - "Ghosts" was among them:

From the livings to the spirits, the hit CBS comedy has one of TV’s most delightful ensembles. The cast’s chemistry shines through in their interplay, which is even more impressive when you consider that Utkarsh Ambudkar’s human character, Jay, usually can’t interact with the ghostly dwellers. On top of its deep bench of talented series regulars — which includes but is not limited to TVLine Dream Emmy nominee Rebecca Wisocky, Richie Moriarty and Brandon Scott Jones — the show also boasts a memorable troupe of recurring players such as the basement ghosts (led by the hilarious Betsy Sodaro) and fun guest stars like Lamorne Morris as Alberta’s love interest. — Vlada Gelman

https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-cast-2024-abbott-elementary-the-bear-ghosts/ghosts-cbs-cast/#comment-list-wrapper

1 hour ago, Neptune said:

isaac’s a villain?

I think the writer was exaggerating on that score.  Isaac is self-absorbed and somewhat delusional (at least in terms of his assessment of his own importance during the Revolution) and therefore can be perhaps somewhat more obnoxious and selfish than the other ghosts at times, but as to being an actual villain--what's he really done that was so bad?  The only deliberately nasty thing I can remember him doing is tossing Crash's head into the woods simply because he was bored (and then forgetting about it), and I'll admit he deserves a punch in the nose from Crash for that, but otherwise I don't think he's any worse than, say, Hetty.  

• Like 4

I like the bit in that article that says that Isaac and Nigel broke up because of "Isaac's inability to stay faithful". Uh...not...exactly? He had a crush on the stripper guy, sure, but I wouldn't call that an "inability to be faithful". Nigel would have more claim to that statement, given his liasion with Jenkins in season 2...but even that happened when he and Isaac were briefly broken up (or "on a respite" :p). 

I think that site has tended to have a history of incorrect articles in general for various shows, though, so... The idea of Isaac as a minor villain is an amusing one, though, simply because if he is one, he's not that great at it :p. 

• Like 5
On 6/25/2024 at 6:48 PM, PaulE said:

I think the writer was exaggerating on that score.  Isaac is self-absorbed and somewhat delusional (at least in terms of his assessment of his own importance during the Revolution) and therefore can be perhaps somewhat more obnoxious and selfish than the other ghosts at times, but as to being an actual villain--what's he really done that was so bad?  The only deliberately nasty thing I can remember him doing is tossing Crash's head into the woods simply because he was bored (and then forgetting about it), and I'll admit he deserves a punch in the nose from Crash for that, but otherwise I don't think he's any worse than, say, Hetty.  

I think Elias is the only true villain on Ghosts. He doesn't feel guilty about anything he's ever done and never apologized to Hetty for cheating on her.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I think Elias is the only true villain on Ghosts. He doesn't feel guilty about anything he's ever done and never apologized to Hetty for cheating on her.

And was proud that his hunting contributed to the extinction of the white rhino.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Emmy nominations will be announced on the 17th. I hope Rebbeca will get a notification for Holes are Bad. Ghosts also deserved a nomination for Best Comedy.

• Like 1