Type keyword(s) to search

S05.01: New Beginnings

DanaK
  • Start Topic

MONDAY, SEPT. 27

10:01-11:00 p.m. - THE GOOD DOCTOR: "New Beginnings" (501) (Season Premiere)

Shaun and Lea's upcoming engagement party has everyone in a festive mood after their return from Guatemala. Meanwhile, a young single mother learns her son may have contracted his cancer from a surprising source, and Mateo finds out if his previous issues in America will be resolved.

Guest starring is Rachel Bay Jones as Salen Morrison.

Interesting case of the week (mom and son both have cancer).

Stupid thing is the woman posing as a patient to check out the hospital because she bought it.

Glassy giving a drunk speech - classic.

Mateo getting his immigration stuff worked out pretty quick to come to the States and of course Lim offered him a job.

Feel bad for Andrews. He needs a partner.

• Love 3
Spoiler

I haven’t read anything about the show other than this thread, but as far as throat cancer.  I’ve read before that it’s often from a sexually transmitted disease like HPV.  

I missed the first few minutes of the show.  Couldn’t they refer the mother to the hospital social worker to get her some support?

Not really a spoiler. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Welcome back, "Good Doctor"!

Oh, wow. Well. That was quite the reveal at the end. That should be interesting. 

"We are not having an outdoor wedding."

"...okay." 

LOL. I'm trying to remember if we knew Lea had been married before. Certainly explains not just her anxiety about the wedding, but her struggles she's had during her relationship with Shaun in general, though. I like how Shaun responded to that at the end :). 

Glassman's speech - oof. Awkward. Poor guy's struggling. Interesting to see how he and Andrews are each dealing with their respective divorces - I hope they can be of some help to each other over time. On the plus side, Jordan looked great in her dress. 

I liked how the team worked together to try and figure out how to help the mom and her son. And now that Mateo will be working with everyone, it'll be interesting to see how he and Lim balance work and their relationship. 

• Love 8

Observation #1: While it was apparent that the show was pushing this ADHD character for some obscure purpose, I did not see that reveal coming. Well played, show.

Observation #2: Lim is going to hire her boyfriend? Does she not remember how things went the last time she had a boyfriend working under her? (Not like that.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 10

I’m disappointed.  ABC went out on my cable and I missed a good portion of it.  Towards the end, I remembered to try my iPad and I got it that way.  I wonder what’s up.  ABC is totally out on the Spectrum cable.  I got it on demand online though. Hmmmm…..rebooted and renewed signal.   Weird.  The cable box is green until I put it on ABC. Then it turns red.  ……I just read it happened to other people across the state.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She mentioned it when she was putting together the exercise machine to sell online.

I don’t remember that, was it last season? When Lea said she had been married before, my reaction in this episode was “what?!”

In the 5th year of Good Doctor, we have a new owner of the hospital. Probably explains why she posed as a patient (why not as a prospective employee?) and was asking everyone all those questions and going to their offices/workspaces (I wonder if her office comments to Glassman will come to play later, though I saw the preview for next episode and he’s thinking of leaving?). I also wonder if she will come to terms with Shaun’s autism like the other doctors, or if she’ll have the same view Dr. Han had.

Its been a while since I viewed some of the episodes from last season; some I only viewed on first watch (I’m thinking of viewing those episodes a second time & commenting on them). Was Debbie shown leaving Glassman in an episode or did they just write her actress out of the show? 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Virtual said:

I don’t remember that, was it last season? When Lea said she had been married before, my reaction in this episode was “what?!”

In the 5th year of Good Doctor, we have a new owner of the hospital. Probably explains why she posed as a patient (why not as a prospective employee?) and was asking everyone all those questions and going to their offices/workspaces (I wonder if her office comments to Glassman will come to play later, though I saw the preview for next episode and he’s thinking of leaving?). I also wonder if she will come to terms with Shaun’s autism like the other doctors, or if she’ll have the same view Dr. Han had.

Its been a while since I viewed some of the episodes from last season; some I only viewed on first watch (I’m thinking of viewing those episodes a second time & commenting on them). Was Debbie shown leaving Glassman in an episode or did they just write her actress out of the show? 

For pretty much all of last season, Glassman was feuding with his wife. It all started over the boundaries around the gun issue and mushroomed throughout COVID to the point of two strangers living under the same roof. It was pretty clear there would be no compromise or reconciliation. 

Edited by Daff
  • Love 7

I’m so disappointed in the direction they’ve taken Glassman’s character that I’d just as soon see him leave. It’s hard to believe someone with that much insight and intelligence wouldn’t be able to step back from the job he’s done mentoring Shawn and allow the couple to get on with their lives, “for better or worse”. They’ve made him petty and miserable; worse, projecting that “doom and gloom, bound to fail” misery onto Shawn and Lea every step of the way. Used to like the character but not anymore. Good riddance! (Especially after last season’s ending episode-heartwarming.)

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Daff said:

For pretty much all of last season, Glassman was feuding with his wife. It all started over the boundaries around the gun issue and mushroomed throughout COVID to the point of two strangers living under the same roof. It was pretty clear there would be no compromise or reconciliation. 

I agree. The gun issue and the COVID stuff between them was pretty bad. They didn’t get along very well at all in Season 4. It’s unfortunate he and Debbie divorced.

Speaking of divorce, Andrews’ situation during this episode looked good at first glance on paper, but I kept waiting for crap to hit the fan and it did when the two girls showed up on the same date and then decided to go to another bar with each other.

• Love 2

I had a feeling that Andrews/Jordan/Asher's patient was lying early on, but I didn't predict that she was someone that was buying the hospital at the end.  Looking back though, the signs where there with her targeted questioning about the staff, rooms, etc.  Assuming the purchase went through, I wonder how this will change the dynamics going forward and if the character will be sticking around for more episodes.

Not surprise that both Shaun and Lea are on edge thanks to all the numerous obstacles that keep getting tossed their way (this is The Good Doctor after-all!), but to be fair I didn't think the engagement party was that much of a disaster until Drunk Glassman had to grind things to a halt.  But I'm glad that it has led to Shaun wanting to take a more active part in the actual wedding going forward and not put all of the responsibility on Lea if things do go south (or get all of the credit when it goes right!  Fingers-crossed!)

Mateo is officially state side now and is likely being set-up to join the staff going forward.  Curious to see how this will go between him and Lim because the last time Lim worked alongside (or, really, above) her romantic partner, things didn't go so well.

So, yeah, Glassman is clearly not taking his divorce well at all.  Hope he gets help soon.  Andrews isn't in as bad of shape, but it seems clear that these meaningless hook-ups are still making him feel empty inside as well.

On the flip side, Reznick and Park seem to be doing well!

Welcome back, The Good Doctor!

• Love 8

Nice to see the show back, although its weird to have Good Doctor without Claire around. I am pretty sure that the actress playing the woman who supposedly had ADHD was the same actress who played another annoying patient who had doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and it turns out that she was hiding that she did know what was wrong on Scrubs, except there the woman was suicidal while here she was testing the staff to see if she wanted to buy the hospital. I wonder if that's a coincidence? Seems like a waste of the doctors time that could otherwise be used savings lives, so I am not sure how this is going to work with this new lady buying the hospital. 

It will be interesting to see Mateo around and working with Lim, I am glad that he is going to be around for awhile. Having less luck in romance is Glassman and Andrews, who are now divorced and its not going great. Andrews seems like he's doing better than Glassman at least (he isn't giving drunk sad speeches at least) but having lots of empty hook ups doesn't seem to be making him very happy. 

Case of the week was good, a bit more on the backburner with so much else going on, but I like how things were resolved.

I laughed when Shaun was like "what do Park and Lim know, they're divorced" when they were giving him advice. I am glad that Shaun is going to help plan the wedding and that things are going somewhat smoothly so far. Every second of their relationship has been so stressful, I hope that the wedding gets here with only regular wedding hijinks, not a massive load of drama. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m so disappointed in the direction they’ve taken Glassman’s character that I’d just as soon see him leave. It’s hard to believe someone with that much insight and intelligence wouldn’t be able to step back from the job he’s done mentoring Shawn and allow the couple to get on with their lives, “for better or worse”. They’ve made him petty and miserable; worse, projecting that “doom and gloom, bound to fail” misery onto Shawn and Lea every step of the way. Used to like the character but not anymore. Good riddance!

I never have liked the character much, he's seemed like an intrusive killjoy from the beginning.  Plus he has that odd habit of making a chewing motion before he says anything.  Lea doesn't like him either, so I'm not alone with that.  Also apparently his wife couldn't stand him.  They have written him a little better the last few years so I've softened on him.  Normally, I think he would have been able to step back and allow the couple their joy, but he was drunk so there's his excuse.  All that bitterness he had been bottling up exploded.

I didn't see the twist with the goofy blonde patient coming.  If the preview at the end was any indication, looks like she's going to be making some unwelcome changes.  And here she seemed so nice.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2

I completely forgot the show was back until I watched Jimmy Kimmel on YouTube this morning (I will post a link in the media thread.  It would seem I'm losing track of time with all the Covid and other craziness going on.  In any case, I'm glad the show is back.  I hope Andrews and Glassman get through their issues as I  really like them both.  I have also surprised myself by actually rooting for Sean and Leah.   

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Normally, I think he would have been able to step back and allow the couple their joy, but he was drunk so there's his excuse.  All that bitterness he had been bottling up exploded.

For a brief moment there, I was worried that Glassman's rambling during his speech was going to be a sign of some kind of health issue flaring up with him again or something. 

• Love 2

There was a sitcom "SEVERAL" years ago about people working in a hospital.

(It was part of the "shared universe" with Golden Girls and Empty Nest)

Loni Anderson (who was heavily hyped about joining this show for months prior,

so her "big reveal" was not that much of a surprise) was pretending to be a patient,

but then revealed that she was the new CEO in charge of the hospital as well.

Still, I too, was taken by surprise at THIS reveal as well.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nice to see the show back, although its weird to have Good Doctor without Claire around. I am pretty sure that the actress playing the woman who supposedly had ADHD was the same actress who played another annoying patient who had doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and it turns out that she was hiding that she did know what was wrong on Scrubs, except there the woman was suicidal while here she was testing the staff to see if she wanted to buy the hospital. I wonder if that's a coincidence? Seems like a waste of the doctors time that could otherwise be used savings lives, so I am not sure how this is going to work with this new lady buying the hospital

Different actresses, Nicole Sullivan was the scrubs patient and Rachel Bay Jones is the ADHD patient.  I was trying to place adhd patient, finally figured out she was Cara’s mom on God Friended Me

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Rachel Bay Jones is the ADHD patient.  I was trying to place adhd patient, finally figured out she was Cara’s mom on God Friended Me

She's a Broadway musical theatre star who appeared as Catherine in the 2013 revival of Pippin and won the 2017 Tony award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as Evan Hansen's mother, Heidi Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen.

Besides God Friended Me she's also been in other TV shows.  At the end of last season's United States of Al she was introduced as a love interest for one of the main characters.  Will be interesting to see if she does double duty with both shows.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Coming here, okay, good, it wasn't just me who thought ADHD patient was Nicole Sullivan!

So, outside of that - uhhhh, you think she wouldn't buy the hospital when she was able to get into the server room and the observation room of an OR without issue. Since you shouldn't be able to do that at a hospital! Especially the server room, where electronic medical records are kept!

I had a feeling early on that ADHD patient/owner was messing with them, but I am wondering how none of them noticed makeup on her fingers earlier. With her hiding her Raynaud's... that is as side effect of ADHD meds and a symptom of scleroderma. You think she would've given the doctors the same challenge she presented to her other doctors, who took 3 years to diagnose a somewhat rare disease (Looking at google, looks like the incidence is 17.6 per 100,000 people).

I also looked at the whiteboard when Park and Shaun were figuring out what to do for the mom & kids - it showed what the length of the stay would be - "without chemo" was one week shorter than "with chemo" - you think it would be the opposite, especially since she is getting radiation. With people I know with it, I believe their did their first dose of chemo inpatient, then the rest outpatient - so yeah, that schedule made no sense. You think they would've also had a hospital social worker refer her to resources, since female cancers (breast (female breast cancer), ovarian, uterine, cervical) tend to be the only cancers with robust support at the state level, and would provide good at home support for assisting her with her children.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

At the end of last season's United States of Al she was introduced as a love interest for one of the main characters.  Will be interesting to see if she does double duty with both shows.  

Oh! I knew she looked familiar to me somehow, but I couldn't put my finger on it - I've not seen her work on Broadway, so I wouldn't have recognized her from there. But there we go, then, that answers that :). 

I hope she'll be able to do both shows, too, 'cause I liked her appearance on "United States of Al" last season. 

• Love 2

Scleroderma isn't that rare. I mean, I don't know what the numbers are, but it's not one of those diseases that no one thinks of. I know two people who have it and both were diagnosed really easily. It's one of the things that gets looked for. Of course, someone could always have an atypical presentation or an incompetent doctor. But it's not inherently hard to diagnose.

• Useful 2

During this pandemic, seeing someone on-screen intentionally wasting the time/resources of a hospital in such an obnoxious manner is revolting (and I'd have preferred to see someone dressing her down while she's led out by security after she made that hospital bed confession.)  That she's not suffering from dementia or a serious mental illness but is in fact someone who should know better, who could be the directly responsible owner of a hospital just makes it that much worse.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nice to see the show back, although its weird to have Good Doctor without Claire around. I am pretty sure that the actress playing the woman who supposedly had ADHD was the same actress who played another annoying patient who had doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and it turns out that she was hiding that she did know what was wrong on Scrubs, except there the woman was suicidal while here she was testing the staff to see if she wanted to buy the hospital. I wonder if that's a coincidence? Seems like a waste of the doctors time that could otherwise be used savings lives, so I am not sure how this is going to work with this new lady buying the hospital. 

Two different actresses. She was nearly a dead ringer for Nicole Sullivan (recently Bob’s ex on Bob Hearts Abishola), who played the Scrubs character, but this was Rachel Bay Jones. Had to look up the episode on IMDB to be sure, though.

Was anyone else disappointed when the tree falling on Lea turned out to be just a nightmare? Well, only a little… I initially hated Lea, but now that she’s not such a complete flake she’s actually been growing on me.

Glassman should have known better than to drink so much at a function with so many of the hospital staff present. Not at all sorry to see Debbie go - hated her even more than I initially hated Lea. Glassman is so obnoxious now that I hope the hospital owner fires his ass.

Hey, writers: please allow the awesome Dr. Lim some lasting happiness for a change!

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, possibilities said:

Scleroderma isn't that rare. I mean, I don't know what the numbers are, but it's not one of those diseases that no one thinks of. I know two people who have it and both were diagnosed really easily. It's one of the things that gets looked for. Of course, someone could always have an atypical presentation or an incompetent doctor. But it's not inherently hard to diagnose.

It sounds like her presentation was just Raynauds

• Useful 1

I really liked the ADHD patient/potential purchaser story.  Her behaviour so so familiar, Hous-ian actually in lying and testing the doctors (I'd be surprised if David Shore doesn't have ADHD himself), and she was doing due diligence to see if the hospital was worth purchasing. She's got to be on a higher dose than 20 mg of Ritalin/day.

I also really liked Jordan's earrings in the shape of Africa.

I didn't like Andrews taking the biopsy away from Jordan because the patient wandered off and ate a sandwich. It's not the job of residents to babysit patients even if Grey's Anatomy writes it so.

I'm not surprised at Glassman's drunken meltdown. It always seemed that he was close to Shaun because he himself is on the spectrum.

I'm glad that Lim has found love again but I can't help wishing that Claire could have found some too.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I didn't like Andrews taking the biopsy away from Jordan because the patient wandered off and ate a sandwich. It's not the job of residents to babysit patients even if Grey's Anatomy writes it so.

THIS. The exact thought I had during this scene was “Since when is it the resident’s job to babysit the patients?!” Since when does a resident even have time to hang around and watch one patient, anyway?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I really liked the ADHD patient/potential purchaser story.  Her behaviour so so familiar, Hous-ian actually in lying and testing the doctors (I'd be surprised if David Shore doesn't have ADHD himself), and she was doing due diligence to see if the hospital was worth purchasing. She's got to be on a higher dose than 20 mg of Ritalin/day.

I also really liked Jordan's earrings in the shape of Africa.

I'm not surprised at Glassman's drunken meltdown. It always seemed that he was close to Shaun because he himself is on the spectrum.

I'm glad that Lim has found love again but I can't help wishing that Claire could have found some too.

Yeah, 20 mg is wayyyyy too low for someone with ADHD that bad (I would not be surprised if she happened to have something alongside ADHD causing that behavior, and the hospital helps save her)

Andrews taking away the biopsy was just ridiculous - even if it were the ICU a resident wouldn't have the time to watch one patient, they would still have a few patients each.

Glassman's drunken speech seemed par for the course - he has always exuded drunk uncle energy

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

THIS. The exact thought I had during this scene was “Since when is it the resident’s job to babysit the patients?!” Since when does a resident even have time to hang around and watch one patient, anyway?

They don't seem to have nurses or orderlies or really anyone other than doctors at this hospital. It's weird.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

They don't seem to have nurses or orderlies or really anyone other than doctors at this hospital. It's weird.

It seems to me that in seasons prior to COVID, you could clearly see many other employees through the broad windows of each patient’s room as well as in scenes set in hallways. We never necessarily “knew” them as characters, but they were there. Now, no extraneous people on set-understandable. 

• Useful 6

Leah just looked really off this season so far.  The last to judge if someone gained weight, believe me, but she just looked really different.  Hate the character anyway, so I wish she'd just go.  I never felt any chemistry or caring in their relationship. 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, KaveDweller said:

Did I miss when Leah and Jordan became such good friends? I don't even remember them having a scene together last year and now Jordan is giving her marriage advice?

I think the show is making us assume that since they work at the same hospital, they’ve had a lot of conversations. It doesn’t always work like that though.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, Aliconehead said:

Different actresses, Nicole Sullivan was the scrubs patient and Rachel Bay Jones is the ADHD patient.  I was trying to place adhd patient, finally figured out she was Cara’s mom on God Friended Me

She was also on the series: Why Women Kill for Season 2.

I highly recommend this series: Season 1 was fabulous and Season 2 was very good.

Glassman really blew it with that "toast."  If there is one person that Shaun should be able to rely on, it's him.  I hope that we see an on-screen apology at some point.

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 1