Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E20: Finale Results

• Start Topic

I swear to god, this show is going to burn down that entire theatre. WTH is up with all the flames and more debris falling from the ceiling.

I give Terry's Dancing Boobs four red Xs. Make that five red Xs.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I have zero clue who this person singing with Brooke is...and all her bouncing around the stage is not enjoyable to watch. They're really getting their money's worth on those fire machines, though.

So much word, especially about the fire machines. As for the singer with Brooke, I had never heard of her and couldn't understand one single word she was singing while I could understand Brooke. So, whoever that woman was, Brooke kicked her butt in the talent department.

I'm so not paying much attention to this episode. Simon's sculpture bit went on too long and wasn't even the least bit entertaining. Then Terry gave some musical instruments to some school in some segment that I did't watch.

I don't have a clue who that guy is with Family Magician Guy.

OMG, there's still another HOUR of this ... GAH!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So much word, especially about the fire machines. As for the singer with Brooke, I had never heard of her and couldn't understand one single word she was singing while I could understand Brooke. So, whoever that woman was, Brooke kicked her butt in the talent department.

All that jumping around can't be helping her singing...did you hear how out of breath she was after they were done?

I'm so not paying much attention to this episode. Simon's sculpture bit went on too long and wasn't even the least bit entertaining. Then Terry gave some musical instruments to some school in some segment that I did't watch.

I've been playing youtube videos during the commercials and some of the show.

I don't have a clue who that guy is with Family Magician Guy.

Rico Rodriguez? He played Sophia's character's son on Modern Family.

OMG, there's still another HOUR of this ... GAH!

And no results yet. I thought they spaced them out more through the show in the past. (Further proof that there is no reason for this to be a two-hour show.)

Piff!! And Mr. Piffles!

Edited by ams1001

Re Brooke and What's-her-name: I just looked at the facebook page and the first comment on that video is "I told my daughter, this kids is why we don’t do drugs. AGT, there are millions of kids watching this. Brooke was holding her up at the end. That was horrible."

I'm sorry, Victory sounded all kinds of off key to me.

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Rico Rodriguez? He played Sophia's character's son on Modern Family.

Oh, man! I mean Manny. I totally did not recognize him plus obviously don't know his name.

I did stop to watch Josh Blue's segment because, Josh Blue. And he made me LOL at the end when Mr. Piffles ended up with him and Josh said, "I got a dog! Did you come for some crumbs?" That was totally hilarious.

And that's all I got since I ignored Opera Girl who sang something I think.

One-half hour to go. Whoever wins, I have a feeling it won't be anyone I would have chosen. So surprise me show!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Hey Josh, is that a Gumby in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? I'm glad to see you ... made it to the final five!

Oh gosh, Lea gets the second spot. What's up with two of my favs making it to the end?

Aiden and Taewondo, I like them both. But Aiden goes through. I hope he wins enough money to buy some long pants and socks.

Victory vs. Brooke. I posted last night it was cruel for the judges to tell Victory she was going to Win It All.

Choir vs. Magician Guy. I guess the choir guys can go back to their day jobs now.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did stop to watch Josh Blue's segment because, Josh Blue. And he made me LOL at the end when Mr. Piffles ended up with him and Josh said, "I got a dog! Did you come for some crumbs?" That was totally hilarious.

That was my favorite part. But then I'm partial to Chihuahuas. I can't tell if Mr. Piffles is really chill or just resigned to his fate.

• Love 1

There are results! Out of respect for them making it this far, I will use their actual names.

Spoiler

Gina Brillon vs Josh Blue - I mean, really no contest between the two of them.

Jimmie Herrod vs Léa Kyle - I would have gone for Jimmie but what do I know.

Aidan Bryant vs World Tae Kwon Do Demonstration Team - Woohoo! Love Aidan, hate the short pants-no socks look. (Apparently @saber5055 are on the same wavelength tonight.)

Victory Brinker vs Brooke Simpson - America made the right choice. Brooke is the better performer right now.

Northwell Health Nurse Choir vs Dustin Tavella - I really can't decide who I prefer between these two. If it was up to me, neither one would have had made it this far.

And the winner is...

Spoiler

5th place: Léa Kyle

4th place: Brooke Simpson

3rd place: Josh Blue (what?! I thought he would be above Dustin, at least...)

2nd place: Aidan Bryant

1st place: Dustin Tavella (Really? I hate this show.)

Josh Blue: "I've been hanging out with a quick change lady, and now I can put my shoes on in under ten minutes!" 😄

Aidan looks so different with his hair all loose and curly.

Welp, that was a season. Off to bed, now.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6

Well, that was a season that happened. I don’t think I’ll even be hate-watching next season; it has definitely become a big ol’ celebration of mediocrity and I can be more productive spending my time reading books or grooming the dog or, I don’t know, staring at a blank wall. For some reason this year’s winner just really makes me hate this show.

• Love 5

I was disappointed with the Finale.....the winner was not the Best Magician they have had on this show, for Example Shin Lim & Mat(that was on tonight) are both amazing.  I was rooting for young Aiden, the aerialist, who I totally can see in Vegas or Lea, the "Quick Change Lady"...both were something different from we have seen before.  I do enjoy these 4 judges, they seem to get along very good and there were some fun & interesting acts this year, but I just felt a sense of let-down at the end.   But, I will be back next year :)

• Love 5

There went two long, drawn-out hours of my life that I won't get back.  Dustin?  REALLY?

The only saving grace for me to have endured all this season (that I managed to watch) is that there was a Piff the Magic Dragon and Mr. Piffles sighting tonight.

• Love 7

I was surprised by the winner.  If a non singer is going to win it usually is someone better.  His last couple performances were not very good, so I am not sure what happened with that win.  But any time it is mostly not singers in the top 5, I am happy.  It also looks like children singers aren’t faring as well as they did in the early seasons.

• Love 5

I fell asleep and missed the whole thing! And I'm not really upset. I woke up briefly on the couch to see some weird segment with Gina giving George Lopez a haircut. Anyway, looking at the results here, I'm a little surprised, but not shocked. I had the slight feeling Dustin could win based on his performance. I'm surprised the choir wasn't in the top 5. 

Anyway, it's over! See you next May! 

• Love 2

I am a music educator and partial to singers.   I certainly understand the fatigue of having singers win this show, but I would just like to say that Jimmie Herrod has the most flawless voice I have ever heard!  I wish him the best and hope that he gets scooped up by Broadway or gets a good recording contract.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

I really hope this show will be getting renewed for a 17th season

I am 100% sure your dreams will come true. It's still making a lot of $$. 

1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

I am a music educator and partial to singers.   I certainly understand the fatigue of having singers win this show, but I would just like to say that Jimmie Herrod has the most flawless voice I have ever heard!  I wish him the best and hope that he gets scooped up by Broadway or gets a good recording contract.

I agree, he is extremely talented. I picked Jimmie & Brooke for the top 2 spots, but I got that wrong. 

• Love 3

I'm almost certain that magic trick could only be done with Howie being in on it (the stooge) and providing the prescribed answer. There's a saying in magic that if there is only one way a trick can physically, actually be done, then that's how it was done. That makes it not a magic trick or any feat of skill and performance, but rather just a simple lie to the audience.

(The only alternative I can think of is that Howie is well known for that being his motto and they counted on him to say that when asked. But that's a huge risk for a live show. If he had said something else like "love", I suppose they wouldn't have revealed the teddy bears under the seats or taken off their jackets, making it all much less dramatic. But then they'd have to reveal what he did say in some way, and I don't see how they could avoid going to the teddy bear they gave to Heidi. All very unlikely.)

Of all the people to win, sheesh, that guy.

• Love 6

I was rooting for Aiden or the World TaeKwonDo team.  Although, I do agree that they needed to stop with all the fire during Aiden's act on Tuesday.  I couldn't see half the stuff he was doing.  I like Josh Blue but Howie is right.  He will make millions without this show.  I love the line where he said that he's been hanging around with Quick Change lady and can now change his shoes in 10 minutes.  :D

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I certainly understand the fatigue of having singers win this show, but I would just like to say that Jimmie Herrod has the most flawless voice I have ever heard! 

While I'm not a fan of all the singers who don't have to "step it up," or get ranked on when they do change it (YouTube teen girl), I would have understood Jimmie winning it all. I thought Magician Dad was ... let's say, not very good. If I can figure out his "act," that's not exactly "magic." Out of the five finalists, four had real talents yet the fifth one, the absolutely worst one, was picked winner. Maybe my heart is cold, but besides his act being transparently fake, I don't give a care how many kids he has or where and how he got them.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't give a care how many kids he has or where and how he got them.

One of the posts on reddit was from someone who was adopted (and works as a social worker or related field, I think...I might be conflating the post with another comment) and their big issue is that he is putting his kids' adoption story out there for the whole world to know about when they are too young to consent to it. That people have all kinds of feelings about being adopted and they should be able to control their own story when they're old enough rather than their parents parading them in front of the world as toddlers in hopes of winning a million bucks.

Also his "I'm on the verge of crying, it's so beautiful" voice is annoying.

• Love 7

I agree that parading his kids around to win a reality show is kinda gross.  As for telling people they're adopted, I don't get the outrage.  Lots of parents are upfront with their children and the rest of the world that their children are adopted.   If a parent wants to keep it quite, that's their prerogative but there's nothing to be ashamed of about adoption.   

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I agree that parading his kids around to win a reality show is kinda gross.  As for telling people they're adopted, I don't get the outrage.  Lots of parents are upfront with their children and the rest of the world that their children are adopted.   If a parent wants to keep it quite, that's their prerogative but there's nothing to be ashamed of about adoption.   

I think it's more the very public nature of it that bothers them; I don't think they were saying they should keep it a secret or anything like that. 

• Love 4

I agree that people just want something to be outraged about. They don't like this guy, so they look for a solid reason to dislike him. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Now this I 100% agree with. Sounds like he's laughing and then crying. There's a Family Guy episode where there's a guy who talks like this. 

This is a good reason to hate someone! 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Now this I 100% agree with. Sounds like he's laughing and then crying. There's a Family Guy episode where there's a guy who talks like this. 

This is a good reason to hate someone! 

I muted his Finals performance on Tuesday and had a youtube video playing on my laptop during his time last night!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Too funny. I didn't even listen to his act last night and only sorta kinda watched it. I did wonder about all the teddy bears under everyone's seats in the audience. I would have totally noticed those bears under the seats in front of me and under my own, too. I guess audience was instructed to just leave them alone. I'd be taking mine home afterward, but I imagine ushers at the exit doors making everyone deposit their bear after the show, like movie theaters make you give back the 3D glasses.

There's a lot of more important stuff to be outraged about than this dude winning the show. Plus every one of the other finalists, IMO, will be more successful than he is down the road. I wish them all well and glad tidings and all that other positive vibe stuff.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

There went two long, drawn-out hours of my life that I won't get back.  Dustin?  REALLY?

The only saving grace for me to have endured all this season (that I managed to watch) is that there was a Piff the Magic Dragon and Mr. Piffles sighting tonight.

Piff was a low point for me. Thought Josh Aidan and Brooke/Lea/Jimmie shouldve been F3 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One of the posts on reddit was from someone who was adopted (and works as a social worker or related field, I think...I might be conflating the post with another comment) and their big issue is that he is putting his kids' adoption story out there for the whole world to know about when they are too young to consent to it. That people have all kinds of feelings about being adopted and they should be able to control their own story when they're old enough rather than their parents parading them in front of the world as toddlers in hopes of winning a million bucks.

Everything about him is annoying.  Backwards baseball cap for starters.  He doesn't even present like a magician.  Boo hoo I got married and we adopted two kids.  How is that exactly a sob story anyway?  Whole act revolves around wife and kids who aren't (thankfully) part of the act, such as magician's assistant.  (Piff has a Magician's Assistant and a dog, Mr. Piffles.  Shin Lim is a snazzy dresser who always looks sharp and professional, including his trademark hairstyles which I think are cute.)  Boo hoo my parents were alcoholics but they were mysteriously Saved By Someone Who Stepped In.  He is a mediocre magician at best and shouldn't even have been in the top 10, let alone the top 5.  Winner?  Outrageous!

AGT is clearly rigged with someone or some group's agenda.  True talent is not always rewarded.  True Las Vegas-worthy acts are not always rewarded.  A mediocre anyone doesn't deserve a million dollars.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Jimmie's voice is beautiful.  I also like Brooke.

I was happily surprised that the nurses' choir and Victory were not part of the top 5.  The nurses are heroes but I agree with the poster last week  that said that they sounded like a high school choir.  It showed when they just got to be back-up singers to Jimmie and Idina last night.  I thought Victory might go through because of her age and cuteness factor.

• Love 3

Yeah, mad props to Jimmie being able to hold his own with Idina Mendel. Hopefully his phone has been ringing off the hook (which no longer makes sense, does it?) with offers. The whole top 10 will be in the showcase anyway, except maybe Victory if her parents are looking out for her welfare.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Maverick said:

Children can be told they are adopted, but that is different from having it broadcast on a tv show.  Kids don't deserve to be considered "the adopted kid"  by their peers.  It's not a matter of shame, it's just keeping details of how your family came to be, private, only telling people you want to tell.  

it's also not a sob story.  

• Love 2

Yay for DVR!!  After seeing the results, I deleted the show off of my DVR without having to suffer through it.  Pfftt to that ending.  YMMV.  

I'd really like to see a great comedian win this thing at some point, but I think it's a really difficult venue to perform in.  It's a big stage; huge audience; the judges sitting there, and I think the comedians tend to get pretty nervous and sometimes their material just doesn't land like they want it to.   Oh well, at least I enjoyed most of the season. 

• Love 2

There were so many things I didn't like about the finale but one that really stood out for me was Gina Brillon's and George Lopez's performance together.  There really wasn't one!  What could have been a great funny performance by these two, AGT just rushed out some silly skit about Gina cutting George's hair.  WTF??  George Lopez is a well known comedian and funny guy, and AGT just rolled him up like trash and threw him to the wayside.  Josh Blue got the star treatment with a nice funny skit with other former AGT contestants making cameos.  Why couldn't they do something similar for Gina?  Very disappointing.  But that's AGT.

My wife and I both cheered with a resounding YES! when Jimmy Herrod's name was called having eliminating him from the competition.  He was getting kind of smug.  Also making us shout for joy was Brooke Simpson, Victory and the Nurse Choir.  When their names were called we high fived each other. Victory just wasn't very good.  The choir was just average and Brooke also became big headed in my opinion.  Again, the mic drop didn't help her at all.

The guest artists that appeared just weren't my cup of tea, so I have no comment other than I wouldn't be buying any of their cd's in the future.  Do they still sell cd's?  I'm showing my age!  

I had hoped for Taekwondo to win it all.  I thought they had the best Las Vegas type act that a lot of people would enjoy, but it wasn't meant to be I guess.  Between the magician and Aiden, I thought the magician had the most enjoyable act.  Of course I could never do anything that takes me up in the air many feet high, but Aiden's act has been done many, many times before and done better in my opinion.  The magic man certainly wasn't the best magician to win but I didn't mind him winning.

So now all we have to look forward to is suggestions by many posters here and everywhere else.  Good ideas for a better AGT, but unfortunately TPTB will never listen.  They want to control everything from who gets the golden buzzer to probably who gets in the top ten.  Uhhhh, those sob stories.....    

I don't watch the show live, but I'm usually able to find all of the acts on the official AGT YouTube page. However, it doesn't have a paired act with Lea Kyle and anyone else. Is that true that she didn't do one? Or does the AGT page just not have it?

I am so suspicious of Aidan Bryant's official story. His lines and flexibility are ridiculous for a claim of two years of self-training. Maybe if he has years of ballet or a related dance form that doesn't get stated in his official bio or if one of his parents is a dance instructor/trained dancer? But his style is also very classic modern circus (if that makes sense... classic Cirque du Soleil, not classic Barnum and Bailey), which would be a bit unexpected from someone self-training off YouTube. 

I've known people who competed on AGT, so I know factually that AGT simplifies contestant's backgrounds to the point of misrepresentation. I'm wondering if that's what's happening here. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I’m late to the party so I’ll just say: DUSTIN??? I can’t believe him and his stupid Vanilla Ice look won.  Yuck. Which makes me sad because that means he’ll show up next season too at some point. 

But agree that Jimmy and Brooke will have careers and don’t need AGT. And if I worked for Cirque de Soliel I would snap up Aiden in a second. 

• Love 1