Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Vaxxed and Waxed

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

I agree with some your guesses regarding his oral English production, but it's possible to have never physically been to the US or met an American in the flesh and be fluent. I have had many, many students who have come from overseas and have never set foot on US soil before, and they are just as fluent in English as Nail is. When I got them, they were heavily immersed in US/UK culture via the internet OR an American friend and simply needed to improve their academic English in order to complete their degrees in an English-medium institution in the US. Also, check out the social media threads for more information on Nail - the receipts are there regarding his language acquisition and his identity.

What social media?  I'm really not a follower, don't know where to look.  I've seen some online dirt sites but nothing that convinces me he's never lived in the US.  Also, it was never about his fluency for me but about his accent and other aspects of speech that typically don't become that convincing without having lived here. 

I do think it's possible, though, not to have gone to the US to speak convincingly, just not quite THAT convincingly unless someone has had extensive teaching in American English, slang words and phrases and all that.  My mother spoke French like a native, but she grew up in Montreal and learned French from people native to France (not French Canadians).  Her family spoke French because they lived in Tunis before coming to the US and Canada.  My husband's French friends loved to speak with her because it fascinated them no end that her accent and vocabulary were that good.  And she never went to France!  Still, I don't know if she could casually roll out current local phrases like a native.  Probably not.  But she spoke the "King's French"!

Edited by Yeah No
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

What social media?  I'm really not a follower, don't know where to look.  I've seen some online dirt sites but nothing that convinces me he's never lived in the US.  Also, it was never about his fluency for me but about his accent and other aspects of speech that typically don't become that convincing without having lived here. 

I do think it's possible, though, not to have gone to the US to speak convincingly, just not quite THAT convincingly unless someone has had extensive teaching in American English, slang words and phrases and all that.  My mother spoke French like a native, but she grew up in Montreal and learned French from people native to France (not French Canadians).  Her family spoke French because they lived in Tunis before coming to the US and Canada.  My husband's French friends loved to speak with her because it fascinated them no end that her accent and vocabulary were that good.  And she never went to France!  Still, I don't know if she could casually roll out current local phrases like a native.  Probably not.  But she spoke the "King's French"!

Sorry - I meant the social media thread here (WTF Is Wrong With Her). I didn't want to spoil the findings that were not in the actual episode per board rules.

I actually just left Montreal a few days ago, and my poor mother got stuck there overnight last night thanks to a plane snafu. I grew up learning my French in Québec, but didn't really speak it until I got to French classes in the US as my parents are monolingual English. I have never been to the South of France, but everyone I speak French with says that I speak like I grew up there. Of course, I have no vocabulary or regional slang from the South of France. I also have zero clue why people ask me if I'm from there or learned French there, because I've never thought that I actually sound fluent enough to native speakers for them to place me ANYWHERE. I have a French GTA whom I've known since 2014 and she will laugh a little and mimic my inflection. I'm relieved that people don't point at me when I speak French and immediately say "QUÉBECOISE!!!" because some people are very discriminatory about the accent (and I'm also not French Canadian - my husband & his family are). I'd love to hear your mom speaking French as I'm sure she had a really pure, strong accent!

I also am hearing a pretty consistent French accent from Le Blur, but I agree that his English is inconsistent. It's hard to fake the French-to-English vowels and also the tongue placement. There are always going to be vowels and blends that 'tell' on a second-language speaker, and with the French it's the mid-low/central places of articulation with those vowels. The older you are when you learn English, the harder it is to lose those! I'm thinking Le Blur was at least in high school when he started learning English, and probably closer to 17-18. This is based on my field experience and not from anything that I know about him (which is pretty much nothing! 😂).

• Love 1
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Plus, it’s likely those ladies were tested more than once before filming.  

I thought they all looked nice at the cocktail party. The ladies seemed to like Whit.  Not everyone is the same.  

Stephanie on RH of Dallas said, "We're shooting a tv show - of course we're tested all the time!"  Which I assume is the same for all of them.  That's why the showing off of the masks have become a pet peeve of mine - on the RH shows they gossip in the car and each others homes together with no masks - but they wear them for the walk down the driveway from the car to the house 🙄. I had the same feeling when the woman answered the door in her mask and then announced that she was taking it off and hugging them 🙄.  I get that they're all tested a lot - great.  Just let it go then - if I want to see people in masks I'll go to the grocery store.  Good grief.

I thought Ashley had the worst look at the cocktail party; very unflattering.  But yes - the ladies seemed to like Whit; she can be fun and personable when she wants, and I'm sure they were probably excited to be on tv.  I don't know what I can say about the previews for next week, so I'll leave it at this - there's at least one woman who I think will like her less by then 😄 

6 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

They are all fat but also have successful lives and relationships. What's the difference? They aren't cruel, lazy, bossy, rude, smelly etc. 

Another difference is that they are out there living their lives, with careers and activities and hobbies.  I'm sure they met men who found them interesting, with things in common, due to that.  They're not just laying around their living rooms expecting men to fall for them from afar based on a picture or website.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Was it in this episode where they shared their weights and Ashley said she was 225?  I thought for sure she looked heavier by at least 25 lbs.  Maybe it's because TV adds weight?  

I’d be shocked if Ashley only weighed 225. When she was in the kitchen with Whitney, I thought they looked close in weight. Unless she’s really, really short. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Pi237 said:

I’d be shocked if Ashley only weighed 225. When she was in the kitchen with Whitney, I thought they looked close in weight. Unless she’s really, really short. 

I think I remember Whitney being really short, and Ashley doesn't tower over her, so that could be it.

• Love 1

Two observations...Jessica looked so fresh and pretty in the gym, but looked absolutely awful when she was all made up in her 'talking head' commentary to the camera.  And I think Ashley also got the hairline tatooing like Whitney has.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, TurtlePower said:

I don’t think she’ll ever accept that she’s demanding, difficult, obnoxious, rude and offensive in her behaviour, but real life will get her started (like when she went to a PCOS conference and expected to be treated like a celebrity—they pretty much ignored her. She didn’t talk about that one too much!). 

Details please!!

On 9/9/2021 at 5:18 PM, all4mom2 said:

Don't forget her former partner/arch nemesis from last season and his online gym (now costarring his mother).

I looked up Ryan and his new business, My Training Partner, and interestingly Chase is now the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Operations, and no longer manages the bar as of June (Chase does still appear to be in Wilmington, even though Ryan is in Charlotte).  Chase's LinkedIn page contains a very lofty job description, including "Working with the human resources department to create job descriptions, hire competent personnel and oversee employee training programs" and "Identifying investment opportunities and managing mergers and acquisitions".  But from looking at the company website (which didn't even come up in a Google search by name...only a lame scheduling page hosted on a different site came up, so I only found the site as a link from the LinkedIn page) and Facebook, this is not some mega-corporation like the job description is trying to imply.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:09 PM, lightninggirl said:

I also am hearing a pretty consistent French accent from Le Blur, but I agree that his English is inconsistent. 

Love it...you win the internet!

And if Whit had a sense of humor about any of our musings here, I would swear she was trolling us because in a Starcasm article about sleuthing out her frenchman, they quote an angry, defensive SM post of hers, which she opens by saying "I wish I could put this relationship into words, but honestly, it’s all been a blur"  If she were some other D-list celebrity, maybe that would have been a sly wink, but from Whit, I don't think so! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:
On 9/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, TurtlePower said:

I don’t think she’ll ever accept that she’s demanding, difficult, obnoxious, rude and offensive in her behaviour, but real life will get her started (like when she went to a PCOS conference and expected to be treated like a celebrity—they pretty much ignored her. She didn’t talk about that one too much!). 

Details please!

So Whitney was invited to be a guest speaker at a conference put on outside Washington DC by the PCOS Awareness Association beginning September 21, 2019. She was advertised as being one of the  panelists and as offering a NoBS dance class during the conference. If you go to page 194 of the Social Media:What The Fuck Is Wrong With Her thread, you can follow the results of that invitation beginning halfway down the page where  the September 21 posts begin. And it is true, Whitney posted nothing at all about this experience either during the conference or after it ended.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, kicotan said:

I’ll agree that she is desperate to keep this show, the lynchpin of her empire…it improves her BL, directly or indirectly.

Has she ever had a real job, as opposed to an internship?  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

Has she ever had a real job, as opposed to an internship?  

I think she had a job, maybe as a producer, at a radio station. It’s not the same show as Roy and the gang; it was before she did the original fat girl dancing video.

• Love 5
On 9/11/2021 at 2:11 AM, Yeah No said:

Was it in this episode where they shared their weights and Ashley said she was 225?  I thought for sure she looked heavier by at least 25 lbs.  Maybe it's because TV adds weight?  

Remember this is reality tv.Nothing they say is true.Not even remotely.the weights are lies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Now I know I am old-but is it normal to have a friend in the room with you while you are being waxed? Having very little body hair I have never had the pleasure of having it torn off my body and it seemed the waxer used a lot of strips.  (looks painful to me). And would she also wax the "bits" with someone else present? Just curious.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Maisiesmom said:

Now I know I am old-but is it normal to have a friend in the room with you while you are being waxed? Having very little body hair I have never had the pleasure of having it torn off my body and it seemed the waxer used a lot of strips.  (looks painful to me). And would she also wax the "bits" with someone else present? Just curious.

Not really. I went with my daughter the first time she did it - she was 16 - but I wouldn't have anyone in the room with me.

I think she is really short - maybe just at 5 feet? So 225 would be a lot on her.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, Irate Panda said:

I think she had a job, maybe as a producer, at a radio station. It’s not the same show as Roy and the gang; it was before she did the original fat girl dancing video.

She seems to also be doing voice over ads, at least for local businesses. I hear her voice occasionally when listening to the radio. She does have a nice voice when not shouting or braying.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I was wondering if some of concern over Buddy is his situation.  When a recovering addict/alcoholic disappear, don’t show up as promised, etc. it’s often a sign of relapse. I’m not saying that is the case with Buddy, but it would cross my mind, especially if he’s not working and the friend he lives with is a mysterious person. It’s difficult to say, based on what we were shown.  It’s difficult to believe he would walk away from the show/income.  

• Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, Irate Panda said:

Are you sure that wasn't yet another unpaid internship?

12 hours ago, connieinnc said:

She seems to also be doing voice over ads, at least for local businesses.

Wouldn't they capitalize on this as a storyline for the show?  I mean, you'd THINK they'd clutch at anything she actually *does* just to be able to fill the entire hour!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was wondering if some of concern over Buddy is his situation.  When a recovering addict/alcoholic disappear, don’t show up as promised, etc. it’s often a sign of relapse.

Whose concern; Whitney's?  For a narcissist, it can't be for anyone but him- or herself.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 3

Buddy said Whit was a good friend to him.  She supported his sobriety.  Often if addicts don’t want to be called out on their addiction, they stay away.  Just a thought. They haven’t shown anything to say that he’s in trouble.  Maybe, this time he’s serious about settling down.  If my best friend was aloof about this, I’d be hurt too.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Buddy said Whit was a good friend to him.  She supported his sobriety.  Often if addicts don’t want to be called out on their addiction, they stay away.  Just a thought. They haven’t shown anything to say that he’s in trouble.  Maybe, this time he’s serious about settling down.  If my best friend was aloof about this, I’d be hurt too.  

At this point all these people are cartoon characters to me ,I don't care if they disappear ,run off cliffs ,or blow themselves up,.or get hit by a train in a tunnel.They are not real or believable .nobody acts this fucked up.So piss on all of them.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, Pi237 said:

According to Google, Ashley is 5' 7'.  

I'm raising an eyebrow to the claim of 225 pounds.  I think there's a bit of shaving going on there.  At that height, I'd place her much closer to 275 pounds.  She's not a small woman by any means.  

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

According to Google, Ashley is 5' 7'.  

I'm raising an eyebrow to the claim of 225 pounds.  I think there's a bit of shaving going on there.  At that height, I'd place her much closer to 275 pounds.  She's not a small woman by any means.  

Yup, I was trying to factor in camera weight at 250 but I didn't know she was that tall.  She's visibly taller than Whitney when she stands next to her so give or take a few pounds that sounds accurate.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Wouldn't they capitalize on this as a storyline for the show?  I mean, you'd THINK they'd clutch at anything she actually *does* just to be able to fill the entire hour!

Well I’m just going based on some websites I read a LONG time ago and they described her as a producer of some sort.  I don’t know if they got that from something Whitney said or verified it with the radio show.  I know it wasn’t the Roy show because I think Heather’s ex-husband may have been involved somehow with the original show.  What I read didn’t make it seem like an unpaid internship, but it’s not like there was any proof like a W-2 or anything shown.

Whitney is supposed to be around 5’2”-5’3” so Ashley is a little taller.  I’m not sure about 5’7” since all these heights are estimated but I think they were all underestimating about the weights during the elevator scene.  I don’t blame them if they didn’t want to broadcast their weights on National tv. Whitney would be the only one I might think would consider it normal to talk about her weight on the show to that degree although she seemed bigger than what she claimed to me. 

I hope Ashley got paid extra for the waxing scene with Whitney.  Why does Whitney need a spectator in the room?  It is very odd.  Hopefully the crew and Ashley left after the waxing of the one yeti leg.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I was a regular listener the radio program she was on before this show. She was referred to as Producer Whitney, whereas the interns are referred to as Intern 'name'.

• Love 1

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the thing that screamed at me when Whitney was addressing her parents was that everything was “me” or “I.” (i.e. “I would feel better…”) She just wants them to do her bidding so she can feel good about herself and not have to do extra work taking care of them…and get credit for being a caring daughter.

• Love 3
On 9/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, Passing Strange said:

Unless Whitney is 5’6” Ashley isn't 5’7.” And, yeah, I'd lie about my weight on national television, too, just like I do everywhere else.  🙄

whitash.jpg

WTF! That is a pair that will beat a full house.LOL stupid shits

Edited by stoppro
On 9/15/2021 at 9:44 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I was wondering if some of concern over Buddy is his situation.  When a recovering addict/alcoholic disappear, don’t show up as promised, etc. it’s often a sign of relapse.

I saw no indication that she was worried about him, just pissed that he wasn't there at her beck and call.

• Love 8
On 9/8/2021 at 1:08 AM, John M said:

I feel like they would be if they wanted to. You know that us gay men are often treated as props for straight women's amusement. We quite often do not enjoy it.

I remember a while back on a Real Housewives reunion show when one of the women referred to her gay male friends as "My Gays" and Andy Cohen said that he found that term personally offensive. I'm not a big fan of his, but I was like, AMEN to that, Andy Cohen! I always found it to be incredibly condescending and rude, and it seems like he single-handedly put the kibosh on that being an acceptable or funny label.

• Love 5
On 9/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, connieinnc said:

She seems to also be doing voice over ads, at least for local businesses. I hear her voice occasionally when listening to the radio. She does have a nice voice when not shouting or braying.

Can she actually slow down her pace and articulate words in English instead of "Valley Girl" slang?  Does she end every phrase with an interrogative?

• Love 1