Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Runaway Freight Train

• Start Topic

Lydia and Ethan reconnect for the first time in months; Micah takes Helena to meet Ethan and Olivia, which raises questions if they are more than friends; Max fears Ethan and Olivia don't approve of him; Lydia opens up about her crush to Kim.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Lots of Ethan and Olivia in this episode. I wonder if Show will touch on their issues? 

I am not sure how much I can take of that.  I think I may bail on this season as so far I really don't see too much point to it except I think the parents want if because they think they can build a redemption arc for themselves.  But wait!!! I don't see them as thinking they need that arc so I am not sure except maybe they think we like them.  Lydia is pretty and sweet, but I am not interested in hearing Kim's advice to her.  I would watch if Lydia moves out, but I am not holding my breath for that.    I still hate the pie throwing dinner Kim gave.

• Love 4

Kim must be scared that Lydia is going to be next to fly the coop.  Honestly, does anyone take care of running the house other than Lydia?

Also, with four kids having abandoned the lifestyle the family was raised in, do ya think the parents might get a clue that things should change for the benefit of the little ones?  How possessive are the parents that they uprooted the whole family to move closer to kids that were trying to separate from the parents?

• Love 8

The parents are people that I really don’t care for. Just disturbing to watch the damage they’ve caused.  Ughhh….I keep seeing previews for the show.  Just too depressing for me.  I grew up in fundie church and fundie obsessed parents…..so, it touches a nerve with me.  

• Love 5

The parents have raised kids who are totally unprepared to navigate the real world. Exhibit 1: Ethan. Poor guy seems depressed and unhappy, completely unable to figure out what to do. 
Is Max living with Moriah?

Lydia is very pretty and it looks like she’s starting to grow a backbone and speak her mind. I hate that they film her in her prayer closet; that seems like a real invasion of privacy. 

• Love 7

Hey, everyone!

I just realized a bonus episode, Steamy Nights in Cairo, ran right after A Runaway Freight Train.

Description: Plath family shares stories of romantic beginnings and the excitement of new beginnings.

Because it's a bonus episode, there's no season or episode number.

I'm  not able to edit the topic name to add it to tonight's episode topic, and I didn't think there would be enough interest to make a separate topic for it. So if you saw it or will be seeing it and want to discuss it, use this topic for this bonus episode, too.

For anyone who missed it and doesn't have access to streaming, it will repeat on TLC at 3:00 am EDT/2:00 am CDT/12:00 m PDT.

Let the snark begin!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, camom said:

The parents have raised kids who are totally unprepared to navigate the real world. Exhibit 1: Ethan. Poor guy seems depressed and unhappy, completely unable to figure out what to do. 
Is Max living with Moriah?

Lydia is very pretty and it looks like she’s starting to grow a backbone and speak her mind. I hate that they film her in her prayer closet; that seems like a real invasion of privacy. 

I see things so differently.  I think Ethan married a really mean spirited woman.  Basically with the position she has put them in he's sad and hurting.  He acts mad at his parents but I think he loves them dearly.  He was such a fun guy one year into the marriage until Olivia started with Moriah.  She was very devious.

A lot of families have different beliefs that go with their religion. This family has theres.  We can say we don't agree but it's their right to follow their beliefs.

The Bates kids all seem happy as can be.  The Duggers were ok then along came Josh!

We have a Seventh Day Adventist family neighbors. They have different beliefs than our Catholic or Baptist neighbors but it's each families right to raise their family as they want to do.

Perhaps I'll abstain from posting here if my thoughts are so different.

Thanks for reading my post.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Wait a minute. Barry was married to another woman for four years before Kim? How did I not know this?

10 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I just realized a bonus episode, Steamy Nights in Cairo, ran right after A Runaway Freight Train.

Description: Plath family shares stories of romantic beginnings and the excitement of new beginnings.

I was about to get ready for bed when I realized there was a second Plath show that didn't have an episode number so I just hit record and went to bed.  All I saw was a brief moment of Moriah explaining how she selects her make-up-----i think maybe it was eye shadow, but by this time my contacts were out and I was almost blind.

Drat, now that I know Barry was married before, I may have to watch. 

9 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think Ethan married a really mean spirited woman.  Basically with the position she has put them in he's sad and hurting.  He acts mad at his parents but I think he loves them dearly.  He was such a fun guy one year into the marriage until Olivia started with Moriah.  She was very devious.

I have always been a bit meh about Olivia, but she seems colder this season.  Maybe it is the editing, or maybe it is the wine I am imbibing in as I watch.  I think she is angry at her upbringing and projects that anger at the Plath parents who are very like her parents.  Poor Ethan is stuck in the middle.

• Love 3

It makes me sad that Lydia’s texts, prayers, and journals are read and commented on by her mother. It is also harmful to tell her she cannot be friends or date anyone without intending to marry them. She is 17! I hope Olivia won’t divorce Ethan. I think she somehow is holding Ethan responsible for his parents not liking her and it isn’t fair. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

It makes me sad that Lydia’s texts, prayers, and journals are read and commented on by her mother. It is also harmful to tell her she cannot be friends or date anyone without intending to marry them. She is 17! <snip>

I'll bet Kim's basis for that is a book published in 1997 called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", written by Joshua Harris.

The advice in that book proved so damaging to those who followed it, in 2016 Joshua retracted his advice and requested the publisher cease printing and selling the book. 

More info here.

Purity culture (in the broader sense) is very damaging, and frequently leads to serious sexual dysfunction in those who are taught "no touching (except side hugs) and no kissing" until marriage - especially among women who are raised in purity culture.

For a good overview of purity culture, Libby Anne (who was a blogger at Patheos until earlier this year) was raised in a Fundamentalist Christian family that taught - and demanded adherence to - purity culture of all their children.

Libby Anne wrote extensively about purity culture and how it affected her and others she knows who were raised similarly.

A list of all Libby Anne's posts concerning purity culture, with links to each post, can be found here.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Twopper said:

I have always been a bit meh about Olivia, but she seems colder this season.  Maybe it is the editing, or maybe it is the wine I am imbibing in as I watch.  I think she is angry at her upbringing and projects that anger at the Plath parents who are very like her parents.  Poor Ethan is stuck in the middle.

That could be it but I'll bet she was a handful growing up too.  I'll never forget the glee in her eyes when she and Moriah announced at the dinner they were flying to California shoot.  Parents were surprised because it wasn't discussed and she was so happy to bring on an exchange.

Ethan will be so much happier without her.  I don't really like to see young couples split but goodbye Olivia!

• Love 2

So who does a clip show as the third episode of a season?  Deleted.

I hope Ethan and Olivia figure this out.  If they separate/divorce, Kim will win and the other kids, especially the younger ones, will never get a chance to develop into normal people.  Kim is a horror of a mom and the older kids have figured this out.  Kim is irredeemable.  The loss of her small child has damaged her beyond reason for her other children.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, b2H said:

Kim is irredeemable.  The loss of her small child has damaged her beyond reason for her other children.

Speaking of which, please tell me i'm not the only horrible person who laughed when both Kim and Barry voted Kim is the better driver in the stupid clip show.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
Just now, IndyMischa said:

Speaking of which, please tell me i'm not the only horrible person who laughed when both Kim and Barry voted Kim is the better driver in the stupid clip show.

He consistently comes off with that dopey smile as a village idiot.  I don’t know how anyone can take him seriously in his day job, if he maintains that same effect there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, b2H said:

So who does a clip show as the third episode of a season?  Deleted.

"Steamy Nights in Cairo" wasn't the third episode of the season. It was a bonus episode composed of clips pertaining to "[The] Plath family shar[ing] stories of romantic beginnings and the excitement of new beginnings", according to TLC's description.

Because it was a bonus episode, there was no season or episode number.

S3.E3. airs next Tuesday, titled "Her Little Power Move".

I've just done a bit more sleuthing, and according to an article published on June 15 on DailySoapDish.com, the Steamy Nights in Cairo bonus episode that aired last night was the first episode of a spin-off series by the same name that will be digital only (Discovery+ and TLCgo). 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

"Steamy Nights in Cairo" wasn't the third episode of the season. It was a bonus episode composed of clips pertaining to "[The] Plath family shar[ing] stories of romantic beginnings and the excitement of new beginnings", according to TLC's description.

Because it was a bonus episode, there was no season or episode number.

S3.E3. airs next Tuesday, titled "Her Little Power Move".

I've just done a bit more sleuthing, and according to an article published on June 15 on DailySoapDish.com, the Steamy Nights in Cairo bonus episode that aired last night was the first episode of a spin-off series by the same name that will be digital only (Discovery+ and TLCgo). 

They can have it on digital.  No interest.

Tell me the story or don’t waste my time.

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Give it a few months--maybe 7 or 8--and they will be showing it on the regular cable channel just like Kenda's new show and episodes of the Single Life.   I found the clips boring except for finding out that Pa Plath was married for 4 years.  I don't follow them outside of the show.  Was this known on social media before last night?  was his ex about to spill the beans?

3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'll bet she was a handful growing up too. 

I would agree she was no Lydia.  The fact that she opened the letter addressed to her dad proves she was probably no goody two shoes.

• Love 1

Kim should be put in prison and Barry institutionalized.  Those children--all of them--should be placed with normal families to learn what life is like.  They all need to attend a regular public school and the older ones exposed to opportunities like college and technical careers.  If they still are life-impaired after high school, they should be placed in a group home with a job coach who will help them figure out what to do.  Once they are all settled and happy in their lives, Kim can be let out of jail.  Barry probably better stay in a pleasant but rigidly controlled institution.  Otherwise there is no hope for any of them.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

In the preview for next week, we see Kim pulling into Olivia and Ethan's driveway, and Ethan is clearly agitated.  That woman's name should be "Kim the Boundary Stomper Plath."  What the hell is that woman thinking?  Listening to Without a Crystal Ball and Ethan's comments about how his mother only cares about herself and sits on her butt all day are fascinating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Sat through the "Steamy Nights" show (90 plus degrees outside this evening too hot to do anything). Color me surprised- I liked the Ethan and Olivia parts. You could see the joy and love in their relationship. I'm rooting for then again now.

And had no idea Barry had been married before.

Max and Moriah just need to get a room (hate that expression), but it rings so true.

Would have loved Max and Micah doing the quiz with each other...

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Sat through the "Steamy Nights" show (90 plus degrees outside this evening too hot to do anything). Color me surprised- I liked the Ethan and Olivia parts. You could see the joy and love in their relationship. I'm rooting for then again now.

And had no idea Barry had been married before.

Max and Moriah just need to get a room (hate that expression), but it rings so true.

Would have loved Max and Micah doing the quiz with each other...

Is it on Discovery Plus?

18 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Is it on Discovery plus?

Not sure- I record Plathville show and found it under the "Extras" category shows, not Season 3 episodes. It was titled "Steamy Nights in Cairo".

Edited by jacksgirl

I think Ethan married a really mean spirited woman.  Basically with the position she has put them in he's sad and hurting.  He acts mad at his parents but I think he loves them dearly.  He was such a fun guy one year into the marriage until Olivia started with Moriah.  She was very devious.

I agree that Olivia is a big part of the problem, but Ethan can't really find his own voice.  Up until the day he got married his parents were running his life, and then Olivia took over.  He was never taught -- or really allowed -- to think for himself growing up.  No wonder he's so miserable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, camom said:

I agree that Olivia is a big part of the problem, but Ethan can't really find his own voice.  Up until the day he got married his parents were running his life, and then Olivia took over.  He was never taught -- or really allowed -- to think for himself growing up.  No wonder he's so miserable.

We have to remember that Olivia also came from an uber religious, stifled home. She just became rebellious and assertive after she was free. She needs to encourage Ethan to find his voice so people don't walk all over him. And she needs to stop walking all over him herself. 

They would certainly benefit from couple's counseling.

• Love 9

I had forgotten about this between seasons, but seeing the flashbacks to Ethan saying goodbye to the family, and now Lydia praying for him and getting to see him at the auto shop… I don’t think her feelings toward him are quite healthy. It’s like she’s trying to be the “good” girl and only allow herself to have a crush on a guy who’s far away and she never sees, so that attachment and emotional dependence landed on her big brother instead.

I don’t think she realizes it, but Ethan might. When he left the family, he returned her melodramatic goodbye with a rather short and distant one. The imbalance was similar when they saw each other at the shop. I don’t know, maybe it’s totally fine, but it’s just odd to me how deeply she seems to obsess over him. There’s a possessiveness I don’t usually see between siblings. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I see things so differently.  I think Ethan married a really mean spirited woman.  Basically with the position she has put them in he's sad and hurting.  He acts mad at his parents but I think he loves them dearly.  He was such a fun guy one year into the marriage until Olivia started with Moriah.  She was very devious.

I don't know that I agree with the parents smothering the kids with zealous religious study when they're at the age to choose. Lead kids to religion until they're 12 then let them determine which path they want. Otherwise they'll be completely oppressed.

• Like 1

Free Lydia. She's a smart young woman and it's obvious she is conflicted about being a typical teen or following her parent's rules and mores. She may be the most interesting person on the show. Ethan, FFS go to therapy and lean into it. You need to stop running away at hard conversations. I blame Barry "Icabod Crane" and ridiculous Kim for his inability to communicate.  Gosh, they are awful, awful people.

• Love 9

I don’t even believe these parents are the way they are due to religion. To me, it’s narcissism and their obsession with control.  As they become seniors and the kids leave the nest, they’ll freak out when there’s no one left to control.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12

Ahh yes, we're in season three and Kim and Barry are still horrible, manipulative people who do nothing but try to control the way their children do everything. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it: if Kim is so against all sugary, processed foods, she should probably be thinner by now. Seems like Mama Bear isn't practicing what she preaches, but in families like that, I would expect hypocrisy.

As far as the bashing of Olivia for "controlling" Ethan, I think he's probably so stunted that someone has to think for him. Hell, the first time he took a drink of Coke, he giggled like a 12 year old boy who had just seen boobies for the first time. Is Olivia mean? Probably a little. Do I blame her? Not at all.

• Love 14
On 8/29/2021 at 12:40 AM, Chalby said:

Lead kids to religion until they're 12 then let them determine which path they want. Otherwise they'll be completely oppressed.

That's similar to the path my husband and I chose.  We were both raised Catholic and are very active in our church.  We attend Mass as a family, and our kids attend Religious Ed classes.  But we encourage them to ask questions, to think about what they believe and that it's ok to say if they disagree with something.  We've both told them that there are teachings we don't completely agree with.  We don't want religion to be about telling them what to do or about telling them what to believe.  Our hope is that we are helping them to form their values and to have a strong relationship with God.  Religion should never be about strict rules or pious behavior.  If your religion doesn't bring you closer to God and, therefore, cause you to want to always be working towards being a better person, you need to rethink your religion.

• Love 5

For me, religion and/or faith in a higher power, as well as knowledge of the Bible, are invaluable assets.    They bring immense comfort, inspiration and life long peace of mind.  It’s truly a wonderful thing to bring to a child, imo.  I was lucky that I got the basics from my grandparents, before my parents got fundie and almost ruined it.  I have to erase the fundie part from the equation.  I didn’t let it rob me.  

To me the parents on this show are more selfish than anything else. I really hope they will have some kids who will speak to them in the end.  What is it they really want to gain?

• Love 3

I don't watch that often but wonder why I've never seen any mention of the oldest married daughter, "Hosanna." I understand she and her husband are successful Christian musicians, tour the country and live in Ohio. Why was she allowed to escape Plathville? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I don't watch that often but wonder why I've never seen any mention of the oldest married daughter, "Hosanna." I understand she and her husband are successful Christian musicians, tour the country and live in Ohio. Why was she allowed to escape Plathville? 

I found an article on it, but can’t post link here since it’s not on the episode.  I’ll post on media thread….if they have one. 

• Love 1
On 8/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Hey, everyone!

Because it's a bonus episode, there's no season or episode number.

I'm  not able to edit the topic name to add it to tonight's episode topic, and I didn't think there would be enough interest to make a separate topic for it. So if you saw it or will be seeing it and want to discuss it, use this topic for this bonus episode, too.

For anyone who missed it and doesn't have access to streaming, it will repeat on TLC at 3:00 am EDT/2:00 am CDT/12:00 m PDT.

Let the snark begin!

Kim makes my skin crawl when she "confides" to Lydia about her past boyfriends and how several exes came to her wedding. Yet, she doesn't want her family to experience any flirtations, nor wear anything that a boy may misinterpret. WTF? If she navigated her teenage years without incident, why doesn't she have the same level of trust in her children. She's more a "Do as I say, not as I do". Blech...

• Love 3

Yes. I also caught Moriah calling Max her "husband." And they're all over each other at all times.  Could they have eloped? Is that why the Ethan/Olivia meet was awkward? Just strange how they were raised strict & Moriah is still accepted by her parents while she moved out and appears very physical with Max. Olivia was spot on with her feelings of slight bitterness that Max is accepted and *she* is not.  I can relate in some way because I've seen these things happen. Maybe  favoritism from parents (overlooking one child's perceived transgressions vs scrutinizing the other child's). 

Lydia. She giggles and squirms her way through the "texting boys" conversation. Reminds me of my nine year old daughter seeing people on tv kissing. She is very stunted for 17.

• Love 4

Mariah is very disrespectful to her parents and siblings with her kissing and hugging all the time.  Get a room!

The parents favor Max over Olivia because Max isn't doing things to bring strife to the family.

Olivia current pain now comes from no contact with Barry and Kim.  She's really missing making them miserable with her plots.  I still remember her twisted smile when she pulled another one.

So now she is angry with Ethan.  She always has to have someone to make miserable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This episode felt more pieced together and superficial than usual. 

Kim and Howdy Doody must have been reacting at that point to comments about the show and what they were seeing about themselves on social media. That was some extra-smirky gaslighting, "We have NO idea why Ethan and Olivia are being so difficult and won't speak to us. We're totally fine with their alky-tattoo lifestyle choices and whatever they do. We hope they'll see the light and stop wrecking our One Big Happy Family soon." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/1/2021 at 4:29 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Mariah is very disrespectful to her parents and siblings with her kissing and hugging all the time.  Get a room!

• I don't think she's being disrespectful.  That requires intention.  She's a sweet girl (in love) who just doesn't know better.
  • Moriah hasn't been taught or observed how average Americans act.
  • There were TOO MANY restrictions and TOO MUCH control in her upbringing.  KIM'S RULES!
  • I'd bet she doesn't see enough people outside "her circle" to realize how others behave...and to have girlfriends explain to her that her behavior is embarrassing and makes her look bad.
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Have her parents really earned any respect? I'm sorry, but when she was a child, she sought their permission for everything like she should've done. But she's an adult now, and respect between adults is earned, not just given because you pushed a human out of you. I don't see any way that Kim and Barry have earned the respect of their grown children.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Have her parents really earned any respect? . . .    I don't see any way that Kim and Barry have earned the respect of their grown children.

NO!  Kim DEMANDS respect and complete submission.  She has done her children no favors...and she will learn that--eventually.  Apparently having three (actually four) of her children move away and place some restrictions on their relations with their parents might have a positive effect. SOME DAY.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 8/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

The imbalance was similar when they saw each other at the shop. I don’t know, maybe it’s totally fine, but it’s just odd to me how deeply she seems to obsess over him. There’s a possessiveness I don’t usually see between siblings. 

I have seen this before in these isolated, religious families and communities, where the sisters look up to the brothers in an inexplicable way. I just think it's unhealthy the way women are programmed to serve the men and put them on some sort of pedestal that has never been earned by any of them.

• Like 1