Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wait a minute. The Wishing Well thing that Gorr is searching for is the Cosmic being Eternity? 

That bugs me 😆 

I’m more surprised and impressed the MCU brought us basically the sum of everything. Not quite as trippy as Steve Ditko made him/it/them, but still cool.

18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m more surprised and impressed the MCU brought us basically the sum of everything. Not quite as trippy as Steve Ditko made him/it/them, but still cool.

True. I never really thought we'd get Eternity or Infinity but, it still bugs me that they changed him into an Infinity stone type thing. 😀 

16 hours ago, Dani said:

Yes, I know how Cinemascore works. It’s based on audiences who go within the first 24 hours. My point was that generally isn’t going to be casual viewers or even the average Marvel fan. It is going to be heavily weighted towards the fanatics who are often the most critical. 

They also tend to be the people most likely to sustain a long box office run with multiple viewings and word of mouth, if you look at it that way.

16 hours ago, Dani said:

Before 2021 only one MCU movie got below an A- (Thor) and there have been three is the last year. The scale for these movies is shifting. I absolutely think the movies that got lower scores have problems but no one will ever convince me they are worse than Hulk, The Dark World or Iron Man 3. 

I don't think anybody was suggesting it's a measure of quality (audiences often reject anything that challenges them; I've seen plenty of films that have bad Cinemascores that I liked). It's broadly a useful measure of what a film's box office multiplier will be.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, tv echo said:

While it is my -supersekrit fantasy to see Bale return as Bats, I absolutely adore him and 😄 when he said his kids told him to appear in an MCU movie.

Reminds me of the interview he did when he first got the role of Bats, and had gained bulk (he had played an emaciated character and had lost a LOT of weight). One of the crew joked/ragged on him (paraphrasing some):

”Bloody ‘ell Chris! Are you doing Batman or Fatman!” in his Welsh accent. 😄😍😄😍🥰

So hero or villain (I much prefer the former), I will watch Christian Bale in anything.

Will try to see this on Thursday.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Reminds me of the interview he did when he first got the role of Bats, and had gained bulk (he had played an emaciated character and had lost a LOT of weight). One of the crew joked/ragged on him (paraphrasing some):

The Machinist...should have gotten the Oscar.

I am never not tickled to hear Bale speak in his native accent. I'm so not used to hearing it in his roles. So when I saw him in the premier videos and he sounds like a guy who hangs out at the pub all the time I just giggle.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I am never not tickled to hear Bale speak in his native accent. I'm so not used to hearing it in his roles. So when I saw him in the premier videos and he sounds like a guy who hangs out at the pub all the time I just giggle.

Me too! I feel that huge ass grin splitting my face as I giggle.

Now I wanna go and pull out that dvd with the interview!😄😄

• Love 1

Right when Team Mighty Thor grabbed the lightning and fled were those Celestials who peeked in the hole they'd just left? I thought it was but it was so quick I'm not sure. I did see the Celestial statue head that almost killed the kids just before the portal opened at the end. I'm sure we'll get one more Thor movie so that they can have a Taika trilogy and I'm wondering if we'll get some direct Celestial interactions as well as Roycules. 

I can understand a lot of the complaints made here and elsewhere about this movie, and I do agree with a lot of them. Some of the tonal whiplash felt off, the pacing had some issues, and I feel like Taika Waititi doesn't have the best handle on writing the GOtG at times, but...screaming mythological goats! Alien biker gangs! Laser beam shooting teddy bears! How can I not love this movie? 

I was never a huge fan of Jane or of Jane/Thor, I like her just fine as a character and them as a couple but was never super invested, but it really was nice to see Natalie Portman again as Jane and to really give her and Thor the closure that they didn't get before. Natalie seemed so much more excited to be here this time, you could tell she was having a blast playing Lady Thor, getting more into the action, and she and Chris really did have nice chemistry. I really like that we got to see more of their offscreen relationship and that that it wasn't as simple as Jane just dumping Thor, like we had previously heard, they just grew apart due to their busy lives and personality differences. Her terrible catch phrases were hilariously adorable and I love that, unlike in their first movie, Jane was the one who wanted to fight it out every time while Thor was trying to use diplomacy and stealth. 

I knew what happened in the comics, but I was still hoping until the last minute that Jane would get a miracle cure, some Asgardian tech or even using eternity, but it was not meant to be. On the one hand, I can appreciate them having the guts not to pull back on killing Jane and fits into the theme of how its worth it to love people even if you might lose them, but on the other hand, Jane was finally really working as a character, I was finally invested in them as a couple, and its yet another person that Thor loves that he lost. I know that loss is a major theme of the movie, as well as in this phase of the MCU, but why does Thor have to continue to lose everyone? The poor guy just has the worst time of it, its been never ending misery since Thor 2 onward. At least Jane got to go to Valhalla, and maybe she and Thor can be reunited there.

Gorr was a cool villain and it was great seeing Christian Bale back in a superhero movie, he was clearly giving it his all to make him creepy while also keeping some audience sympathy. What makes his bloody rampage tragically ironic is that the gods he went after, the Asgardians, the blue people's gods, the giant god Thor said was one of the nicest gods he knew, were only vulnerable to him because they were actually on the ground helping their followers, while the uncaring gods that he started his crusade against were all safely up in their golden city ignoring the danger to mortals and to other gods like assholes. His god was also full of shit, we know for a fact that the afterlife exists in the MCU, we've seen several of them. If your lucky, you might even get to meet Taweret, the nicest Hippo god you'll ever get to meet. 

While they don't go really into it as much as I might have liked, I did like that they at least touched on some interesting ideas of godhood. You have Zeus and the uncaring gods in the city of gods, hoarding their power for their own wealth and comfort, versus Thor, who not only gets directly involved with helping mortals but literally shared his powers with the kids to save them. I cracked up way too much at Russel Crowe's bizarre attempt to mix a Greek and Italian accent, which is certainly appropriate given his Greco-Roman origins, but also make him sound like some kind of horny opera singing Muppet. 

I love that the MCU is just allowed to be as weird as it wants to be now, it leads to a lot of really striking images, like the city of the gods, the flying ships around New Asgard, and even Eternity, a concept so cool and abstract that I never thought I would see it on the big screen. 

I would have loved to have more Valkyrie, but I am thrilled we got as much of her as we did, she's always the best. It was also cool seeing Sif again, even if it was just a cameo, and in general I was happy to see New Asgard doing so much better than the last time we saw them in Endgame. Thor might say that he isn't a great leader, but I thought he showed a lot of solid leadership skills in this one and he was great with the kids. Which was probably foreshadowing the ending, with Thor losing Jane but gaining a daughter, which is a nice ending for him, and knowing that she's Chris's actual daughter makes it even cuter. I would call this movie a flawed but very fun movie, not up to Ragnarok's level, which I think better balanced its jokes with its drama, but I still had a great time watching while also having a lot of feels, and that's what I wanted from this movie. 

Hercules incoming!

• Like 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I cracked up way too much at Russel Crowe's bizarre attempt to mix a Greek and Italian accent, which is certainly appropriate given his Greco-Roman origins, but also make him sound like some kind of horny opera singing Muppet. 

Which... to be honest... isn't the most inaccurate description of Zeus. Horny, indeed. I mean, Red from Overly Sarcastic wasn't wrong when she suggested he should be God of One Night Stands. 

9 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

He's here, he's there, he's every f-ing where!

You better fucking believe I sang that out loud at the theater.

Scandalized a child in front of me but I'm not fucking sorry.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

If you want to get in on Hercules in the Marvel Universe, I recommend the run of The Incredible Hercules, written by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente. One of the later arcs had Herc impersonating Thor. It was hilarious. Also, there's a trade paperback collecting some of the best team-ups and battles between Herc and Thor.

4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

He's here, he's there, he's every f-ing where!

I don't get it.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it, but I don’t know if it’s because it was good, or because the last few MCU offerings have been so “Meh.”

I still don’t know what this phase is supposed to be building towards.

• Love 2

So Thor , during Infinty War, could have just gone to the 'Make a Wish Foundation' and wished Thanos out of existence or something? And none of the horrors the universe had to go through because of the snap needed to happen. Got it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder | New Asgard
Marvel Entertainment   Jul 13, 2022

Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder | Not So Clean Breakup
Marvel Entertainment   Jul 14, 2022

‘Thor: Love And Thunder’ Heading To $200M+ As Counter-Programming ‘Paws Of Fury’, ‘Crawdads Sing’ Open – Box Office Preview
By Anthony D'Alessandro   July 13, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-thor-love-and-thunder-paws-of-fury-where-the-crawdads-sing-1235063365/ 

Disney/Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder will continue its reign atop the weekend box office in its second session, with on the low-end an anticipated 65% decline or $50M from its $144M opening.

The movie is easily heading past $200M in the next three days, and yesterday grossed an estimated $13.6M for a running total that’s just under $170M.
Thor 4‘s anticipated second weekend decline is in line with recent Marvel fare, i.e. Spider-Way: No Way Home (-67%), Doctor Strange 2 (-67%) and Eternals (-62%).

Edited by tv echo
18 hours ago, Smad said:

So Thor , during Infinty War, could have just gone to the 'Make a Wish Foundation' and wished Thanos out of existence or something? And none of the horrors the universe had to go through because of the snap needed to happen. Got it.

Sure if he knew that stormbreaker was the key to reaching eternity which he didn’t until Jane figured it out. It can’t be common knowledge otherwise Gorr wouldn’t have been the first one to get there. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Sure if he knew that stormbreaker was the key to reaching eternity which he didn’t until Jane figured it out. It can’t be common knowledge otherwise Gorr wouldn’t have been the first one to get there.

Unless I remember it wrong (could be since I barely paid attention to this nonsense movie), didn't Thor and Valkyrie know that the bifrost can take you to Eternity?

1 hour ago, Smad said:

Unless I remember it wrong (could be since I barely paid attention to this nonsense movie), didn't Thor and Valkyrie know that the bifrost can take you to Eternity?

No. Zeus tells them Gorr is going to eternity but that he won’t make it because he doesn’t have the key. Jane figures out the bifrost is the key once she see’s the drawings. 

(edited)

I enjoyed Thor  although I think the tonal shifts between being very serious and very funny/silly were a problem. I think the movie quite frankly thrived when it was more serious. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Thor going back to the humorless bore he was in The Dark World. There's good humor there and the running gag of Bifrost being jealous is pretty funny. Thor Ragnarok was a perfect mix of a movie. But the silliness in Love and Thunder undercut the more serious elements and that's a problem. 

Christian Bale was GREAT. He needed to be in the movie more. I have no idea why his god-killing is almost exclusively off-camera.

Rest of the cast was good as well. Hemsworth always delivers and Portman was good and compelling as Jane Thor. Nice to see familiar faces although the Guardians did not have to be there at all. Quill at least fares better here then in the Avengers films and is written here in a way he should have been there. Still, will they at least have Quill finally visit his grandfather to let him know he's okay? Old gripe.

Omnipotent City was pretty awesome.

Didn't expect to see Eternity.

First movie I've seen in the theaters in a while and I enjoyed it.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, benteen said:

I have no idea why his god-killing is almost exclusively off-camera.

They only had so much budget, and the CGI for Korg and the screaming goats isn't cheap.

• LOL 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

They only had so much budget, and the CGI for Korg and the screaming goats isn't cheap.

We really could have done without the screaming goats. That was a gag that went on WAY too long.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

Pitch meeting for the movie. As typical for Pitch Meeting, it mentions the main complaints about the movie.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to push the applause icon or the laughing one, so I just quoted this so I could mention both. 

One thing they pointed out is him giving his powers to the children. My son wondered why he couldn't have done that for everyone in either Infinity War or Endgame

• Like 1

‘Thor: Love And Thunder’ Drops -68% In Weekend 2; ‘Crawdads’ Sings $17M Tune – Sunday AM Box Office Update

Updated, Sunday AM writethru after Saturday AM update: The wearing down of the MCU luster is unfortunately being seen, as Disney’s Thor: Love and Thunder is having a great fall, with a -68% drop for a second weekend to $46M. And the sequel isn’t even theatrical day-and-date like Black Widow was last year on Disney+. While the Taika Waititi-directed movie improved beyond its high $130M opening estimates last weekend into the $144M range, it’s clear those sour audience exits of a B+ CinemaScore and 3 1/2 stars are taking their toll.

Thor‘s second weekend drop ranks among the MCU’s worst, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (-67%) and Black Widow (-68%). Forget about Spider-Man: No Way Home‘s -68% second drop. That’s largely due to Christmas falling on a Saturday, and everyone knows that Sony/MCU title was making money hand over fist on a daily basis. It’s an outlier.

Worldwide, Disney has a different brag on Thor: Love and Thunder and that’s that that the superhero is about to cross the half billion mark worldwide. Domestic stands at $233.2M, global at $498M. The pic’s Imax screens stateside at 412 posted $3.7M this weekend for a running total of $20.5M.

Marvel is getting beaten this summer by a Tom Cruise movie, granted a long-awaited sequel by his fans, with Top Gun: Maverick hitting $617.9M by EOD today. The erosion here in MCU box office bucks and audience exits is a rich man’s problem for the studio. Again, is the dilution of results because they’re stretched thin between the development of streaming series and movies?

Anecdotally, Thor 4 is quite a fun ride, and if you see it in Screen X, it’s mind-blowing. It’s a fast clip at 1 hour and 58 minutes, and not as Byzantine as Doctor Strange 2 and Eternals. But clearly, something isn’t resonating with fans. I’ve been told by sources that they and critics obviously don’t think it’s as good as Ragnarok. That pic, despite having a lower opening than Thor 4 at $122.7M, possessed a higher-grossing second weekend with $57M. And that was during November, not summer.

I saw it this afternoon, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.  Maybe I'm not as invested in the MCU as some of y'all seem to be, but I loved the humor and thought there was a good balance between humor and drama overall.  

I loved the montages -- of Thor getting back in shape, and of his relationship with Jane.  I laughed out loud at Zeus' Zeusettes fainting when Thor got nekkid -- not to mention Val pulling out the popcorn to watch.  I even loved the screaming goats (and how they immediately shut up when Thor said, "meat").

Christian Bale was awesome.  Thor was great with all the kids.  And it made me happy that Jane went to Valhalla in the end.

Mostly when I see these movies, I take them at face value and don't analyze them too much.  They're enjoyable, escapist, popcorn flicks.  I thought it was fun.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

As per Box Office Mojo, the movie has cleared the $700 million mark.

It’s interesting that the movie is doing much better internationally than domestically. 

(edited)
On 7/15/2022 at 3:11 AM, revbfc said:

I enjoyed it, but I don’t know if it’s because it was good, or because the last few MCU offerings have been so “Meh.”

I still don’t know what this phase is supposed to be building towards.

It's not building to anything. I wish people would get this out of their heads. There is no Endgame they are building towards. This is basically phase 1 all over again. They are pulling back and examining existing characters while bringing in new ones and expanding the universe. That's it. Just watch the movies. Enjoy them for what they are. Don't compare them to what just came before. They have to build this universe back up. Either way, Feige has made it clear there is no central goal. There is no Thanos they are building up too. Over time, we will get some big arcs but they won't involve everyone. Every story won't connect.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not a good drop. Disney's scuffling a bit right now.

Disney is crying into their vault of money as they continue to make millions.

Part of the reason marvel movies started to make as much as they were are a combination of much awaited stories like Black Panther and continuations of big fan favorites. This phase has featured a lot of characters only comic book folks know well. Spiderman made stupid money because of all the elements in it along with being a fan favorite franchise. I know Thor is well loved but the follow up never felt must see.

Black Panther 2 is the most interesting movie for me. Huge fan favorite with a lot of intrigue about what it will be about. Big test for them. If it doesn't make a billion plus, they've lost more viewers than most of us thought.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

It's not building to anything. I wish people would get this out of their heads. There is no Endgame they are building towards. This is basically phase 1 all over again.

I can understand why expecting an Endgame type buildup is unreasonable at this point. But even phase 1 had a clear direction. It was building towards The Avengers. Then after The Avengers they started the buildup to Endgame. I personally don’t need every movie to be part of some grand plan. But I can understand why some fans are frustrated with the lack of direction because the MCU has been set up that way from the beginning.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

It's not building to anything. I wish people would get this out of their heads. There is no Endgame they are building towards. This is basically phase 1 all over again.

Phase one built towards the Avengers.  There was a direction that was clear.  EVERY phase has had a clear direction.  

Not this one.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I have no idea but thought this phase was supposed to be leading up to 

Reveal spoiler

Secret Wars.

At least that is what a lot of the fandom is saying.

It's possible but there no hint of that yet. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

But I can understand why some fans are frustrated with the lack of direction because the MCU has been set up that way from the beginning.

What I can’t understand is how little faith many fans have in Marvel. I would think that a company that steered 10 years of world building would be given some leeway it setting up whatever is coming next. It’s only been three years and an entire year was completely derailed because of Covid. 

I also don’t understand the idea that it’s not building to anything. I can see a lot of chess pieces being moved into place. Like the number of Young Avengers being introduced, Val and the Thunderbolts and Ms. Marvel introductucing

Spoiler

mutants.

We don’t know what the conclusion will look like but they are simultaneously introducing the next generation and shepherding off some of the previous generation. I think the problem is that those people just don’t like what they are building to because it is going to look different. 

It's possible but there no hint of that yet. 

For me it's the idea of the Multiverse being expanded on, plus Clea's use of the word "excursion".

29 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think the problem is that those people just don’t like what they are building to because it is going to look different. 

This, and I also think many people will not like it because it is "cooler" not to like something that is already popular (big, huge, established, trendy, etc.).

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

For me it's the idea of the Multiverse being expanded on, plus Clea's use of the word "excursion".

Very true there have been hints that the comics minded can read (rightly or wrongly). When I said hints I was thinking more overt or out right stating it (SDCC/D23).  

My only assumption for Phase 4/5 and what it's building towards is F4 and X-Men but, honestly X-Men is all I've cared about si ce Disney bought FOX 😆

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I also don’t understand the idea that it’s not building to anything. I can see a lot of chess pieces being moved into place. Like the number of Young Avengers being introduced, Val and the Thunderbolts and Ms. Marvel introductucing

Reveal spoiler

mutants.

That’s more like Easter eggs that’ll only be noticed by people who read/are familiar with comics. Phase 1-3 spoon fed the buildup. We’re literally told an Avengers team will be created. You see Thanos with the gauntlet and the Infinity stones start popping up. But Val never gave the impression she was creating a team the way Fury did and as of right now there are no on screen connections between the Young Avengers.

3 hours ago, revbfc said:

Phase one built towards the Avengers.  There was a direction that was clear.  EVERY phase has had a clear direction.  

Not this one.

That path was not clear until multiple movies in process. Even then, they were just throwing things out and seeing what happens. Thanos at the end of the first avengers was just something Joss through on. There was no grand plan.

A team up in itself is barely a plan or a path. We have a bunch of teams soon. X men, fantastic four, the Marvels, thunderbolts, probably young avengers, probably marvel knights with blade and others. But, a team is not a grand plan. It's a direction but it doesn't mean anything long term. Neither did avengers until they built upon it after the fact. It really wasn't until after ultron that they had a real path.

21 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

That path was not clear until multiple movies in process. Even then, they were just throwing things out and seeing what happens. Thanos at the end of the first avengers was just something Joss through on. There was no grand plan

Responding in MCU Thread