Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Finally got around to seeing this ... (streamed from Amazon).
Was this made for the pre-teen market?  As an adult, it was pretty hard to get through .. the jokes were juvenile and it came off like a bad sketch comedy. 
Director Waititi turned Thor into a blissful idiot -- and the other characters were just as dumb and/or dumber.  ("Maybe your arm went to Valhalla.")

It reminded of the recent movie Wonder Woman 1984.  It felt as if the director took the attitude of "super-heroes are silly and movies about them should be silly, too." 
The cold-open scene of Gorr and his dying daughter was the only moment having some sense of gravitas. 
Everything after that was a joke  .. in every sense of the word..

Taika Waititi is developing a reputation - but of what kind I am not sure.

• Applause 2
(edited)

Thor: Love and Thunder got 4 People's Choice Awards nominations...

2022 People's Choice Awards: Complete List of Nominees
By BRETT MALEC     OCT 26, 2022 
https://www.eonline.com/news/1351289/2022-peoples-choice-awards-complete-list-of-nominees 

THE MOVIE OF 2022
Bullet Train
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Elvis
Jurassic World Dominion
Nope
The Batman
Thor: Love and Thunder
Top Gun: Maverick

THE ACTION MOVIE OF 2022
Black Adam
Bullet Train
Jurassic World Dominion
The Batman
The Woman King
Top Gun: Maverick

THE MALE MOVIE STAR OF 2022
Brad Pitt, Bullet Train
Chris Hemsworth, Thor: Love and Thunder
Chris Pratt, Jurassic World Dominion
Daniel Kaluuya, Nope
Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam
Miles Teller, Top Gun: Maverick
Ryan Reynolds, The Adam Project
Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick
THE ACTION MOVIE STAR OF 2022
Chris Hemsworth, Thor: Love and Thunder
Chris Pratt, Jurassic World Dominion
Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam
Elizabeth Olsen, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Joey King, Bullet Train
Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick
Viola Davis, The Woman King
Zöe Kravitz, The Batman

Edited by tv echo

Thor: Love and Thunder received two nominations for Critics Choice Super Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards honoring Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action Movies and Series
February 22, 2023
https://www.criticschoice.com/2023/02/22/nominations-announced-for-the-3rd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards-honoring-superhero-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-and-action-movies-and-series/

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2023) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed via a special announcement on Thursday, March 16.
BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE*
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
DC League of Super-Pets

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE*
Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Zoë Kravitz – The Batman
Elizabeth Olsen – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Natalie Portman – Thor: Love and Thunder
Letitia Wright – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Edited by tv echo

I started watching this movie about a year ago, after a night at the pub. I found it really irritating, and only made it as far as Russell Crowe before I just decided not to bother.

Finally decided to watch it again and... I'm still irritated. The comedy was just too broad and silly, and the balance between that and the fact that the villain was the "God Butcher" and Jane Foster was dying of cancer was completely off. Gallows humour is fine, but that's not the feeling I got from this. It was atonal humour.

As much as the MCU has been receiving criticism for executive interference and compromised creative vision, this movie feels like the perfect example of why you sometimes need more than one person with total control.

I'm not a "comic books are serious business" guy, but Waititi's take was too irreverent and dismissive, just as the X-Men: First Class take was too embarrassed about being a comic book movie.

It's a shame, because I thought Ragnarok had the perfect balance between humour and drama.

The pacing was weird as well. Simultaneously rushed but then dwelling for-ever on some jokes and scenes.

Presumably Natalie Portman only agreed to come back if she could be a badass hero and then have her character die, but the movie still felt like a waste of her talents.

Turns out a little Korg goes a long way, and a lot of Korg is just annoying. Same goes for screaming goats.

Did Christian Bale think he was in a Harry Potter movie?

• Like 9

What was the draw of joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
I was excited to work with Kenneth Branagh on a big Super Hero movie, particularly one that’s inspired by Norse mythology. It just seemed like someone with this Shakespearian background would have a really interesting take on it. Then, of course, Thor went in this unexpected direction with Taika Waititi at the helm. It was exciting to come back with a totally different lens on the same sort of world.
What was it like working with the rest of the cast on the first Thor film?
It was incredible being introduced to such enormous talents like Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston in the early days as they established their Marvel Studios characters. To see such great actors before the world gets to see them is rare and incredible, especially when they are that caliber. So that was amazing. And then, of course, to work with Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård, who I worked with on a number of scenes in the first two films, had a great sense of energy.

Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder reunites you with Chris Hemsworth.
It’s just incredible to watch Chris’ talent, and he’s just so agile with moving from serious scenes to extreme comedy. He has incredible comedic talent and he has such a quick brain for changing things up, assimilating information, reacting in a creative way, and coming up with new ideas he’s just so committed and works so hard. It’s really impressive to watch him work. I always have to remind myself that I have to act in a scene and I can’t just be an audience.
The Mighty Thor has a real physicality. How did you prepare for the role?
It was really fun to get to train, for the first time in my life, to be strong. Usually, as women, we’re training to get as small as possible. So it’s exciting to actually be working towards being bigger. It was a really great experience. I worked with a great trainer, Naomi Pendergast. And then also doing the stunt training with the stunt team was incredible. That was fun. I had never done any real training despite having been in lots of action movies, I’d never really done any fight training or anything like that. It was exciting to do flying, take off’s, landings, and that sort of thing.

The wirework helped achieve that sense of swooping around and helping Valkyrie in battle, or just flying in and out of frame. It was fun to look like I’m flying!

Edited by tv echo

Behind The Scenes of Marvel Studios' 'Thor: Love and Thunder' with Chris Hemsworth
BY MARVEL   September 19, 2023
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/behind-the-scenes-marvel-studios-thor-love-and-thunder-chris-hemsworth?linkId=236178799  

.... Now you can get behind the scenes of the hit film and hear from Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth, with the release of Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love And Thunder The Official Movie Special, hitting bookstores everywhere today!
What was it like being back with the Guardians cast?
It was awesome Some of the funniest stuff I had on the Avengers films was interacting with them. It’s just a very different pace with that group. There’s a lot of improvisation, which is very much how we worked on Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok. So that was a great opportunity to bounce back and forth from each other. I love working with every other Avenger. What’s wonderful is everyone has a different energy. But with the Guardians there’s a kind of humor to it and a sort of irony and a wackiness that seems to fit mine and Taika’s brain.
Do you prefer the long or short hair?
Short hair. I like that look with the semi-dreadlock hair and the beard and all that, especially in Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Endgame, but that was the most uncomfortable look in the history of anything I’ve done. You’ve got glue on your face and on the beard, and then the wig is glued on. And there’s pins and all sorts of other stuff. It’s an extra hour or two in hair and makeup each day, so it’s nice when we cut Thor’s hair in the third film because I could just come in, put a bit of makeup on, and walk straight onto the set. Then, when we were doing the fourth film, we decided to give him long hair again!

What did you do to prepare physically for this movie?
Each time I’ve played the character, I had to put the muscle and size on, and then lose it for another role playing another character. But you have muscle memory and it got easier each time. This was particularly hard I think because of the sort of target weight we aimed for was quite a ways above where I’d been before.  This was probably the biggest I’d ever been, and I think the fittest. But we had twelve months where I was at home just training and exploring what I could do to get into the best shape. I tried swimming and Martial Arts, and tried different diets. It was a really fun exploration, and then I got really big and fit, but then I just had to hold it for four months, which was very hard.

Edited by tv echo