Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Liked the teaser trailer but wondered why it took so long to be released - and here's a tweet by Disney exec Asad Ayaz...

Plus the inevitable merchandising...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

One thing I'm curious about,  is Jane an AU/variant? 

I honestly hope not. It would feel like a cheat. I would hate for Taika to waste a good opportunity to build on her character after everyone dismissed her as boring. 

• Love 9
(edited)

New Thor 4 Plot Synopsis Teases Christian Bale’s Villainous Role
By Russ Milheim    April 18, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-christian-bale-villain-plot-synopsis 

After the release of the new Thor: Love and Thunder trailer, Marvel Studios released an official synopsis for the film. In it, the role of Christian Bale’s Gorr the God Butcher was mentioned.
“A new trailer and poster are now available for Marvel Studios’ 'Thor: Love and Thunder,' offering long-awaited clues to what’s in store for the God of Thunder. The film finds Thor (Chris Hemsworth) on a journey unlike anything he’s ever faced – a quest for inner peace. But his retirement is interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher (Christian Bale), who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Taika Waititi) and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who – to Thor’s surprise – inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher’s vengeance and stop him before it’s too late. Directed by Waititi ('Thor: Ragnarok,' 'Jojo Rabbit') and produced by Kevin Feige and Brad Winderbaum, 'Thor: Love and Thunder' opens in theaters July 8, 2022.” 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I honestly hope not. It would feel like a cheat. I would hate for Taika to waste a good opportunity to build on her character after everyone dismissed her as boring. 

Only reason I wondered was because Mjolnir was destroyed in Ragnorok and here Jane is wielding it. With Loki, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness it was the first thing that occurred to me.

• Useful 2

I suspect that they will probably only stick around for the beginning, but I really do enjoy how Thor plays off the Guardians.  Chris Pratt really sells Peter Quill's frustration when he opposite of Thor!  I do hope we get more Thor/Rocket scenes, because that pair ended up being a pleasant surprise in the Avenger films.

Natalie Portman looks fantastic here.  Really hope they give her and the Jane character material worthy of her.

Interesting that they held off on revealing anything about Gorr for now.  Have to imagine getting a heavy-hitter like Christian Bale means they are expecting big things for the character (hope they avoid the infamous "villain problem" Marvel use to struggle with.)

All in all, I'm in.  Really like what Taika Waititi has brought to the franchise and Chris Hemsworth really shines as Thor now (although I always thought he was good in the role: just needed better material and someone like Taika who seems to know how to play to his strengths.)

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Only reason I wondered was because Mjolnir was destroyed in Ragnorok and here Jane is wielding it. With Loki, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness it was the first thing that occurred to me.

After watching the trailer again, it looks like this is THIS universe’s Mjolnir, because it’s cracked. Guess Jane or somebody glued it back together.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

thor-love-and-thunder-trailer-breakdown-

Thor: Love and Thunder Trailer Breakdown and Analysis
By Mike Cecchini     April 18, 2022
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/thor-love-and-thunder-trailer-breakdown-analysis/

Comics Accurate Thor Costume
“Strongest Avenger”
Thor’s New Look
Stormbreaker and Thanos
Thunderstrike Ravager Thor and Korg
Thor’s Eyes
Gorr the God Butcher
New Asgard
King Valkyrie
Goat Boat!
Olympus
Russell Crowe as Zeus
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor Hearts Star-Lord
Mjolnir Reforged!
Natalie Portman is Jane Foster as Thor

• Love 5

As much as I would be onboard for silly fun, "The Goddess of Thunder" is one of of the best Thor stories I've ever read, and while I love a light touch, it deserves some emotional heft.

• Love 11

You'd think there's a limit to how lighthearted a movie whose antagonist is called "Gorr the God Butcher" can be.

Then again, Watiti made jokes out of the Executioner, slavery, forced gladiatorial combat, the blink-and-you'll-miss-it deaths of the Warriors Three, and the utter destruction of Asgard last time around, so who knows?

• Love 3

I think one of Taika Waititi's talents as a writer/director is that he can deliver silly fun alongside emotional heft. In Ragnarok, I think of the conversation between Thor and Loki when they're preparing to part ways on Sakaar, or the "are you the god of hammers?" moment when Hela has Thor on the ropes. And Jojo Rabbit is a movie filled with outrageous humor, silly humor, and dark humor, but it also packs some serious emotional punches.

• Love 11

This looks awesome, I am so excited! It looks like a ton of fun, Taika has shown how much he nails that sort of fun, crazy cosmic vibe that I think this story will want to have, and while it might only be for the beginning, I am glad that we saw a bit of Thor with the Guardians. They turned out to be such a fun pairing, I am happy to see that we will get more of them, even if its just in the opener, as I suspect. 

My first thought was that Jane Thor might be a variant from another universe, with Loki and the upcoming Multiverse of Madness anything is possible, but I would be thrilled if she really was our Jane who somehow managed to fix Mjolnir. Or its Mjolnir that's from another universe? Either way, Natalie is looking great! Those arms!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Ok.  I loved Ragnarok. It’s one of my top 5 MCU movies. That being said…….I don’t know about this.  I don’t know why, exactly. It’s just a bit much, somehow. 

One thing, of course, is that I’m not a Peter Quill fan, and I hated his scenes with Thor in Infinity War.  So I’m not looking forward to more of that.   (Although I’m always up for more scenes with Thor and Rocket).

That being said, I did love Ragnarok.   So of course I’ll give this a chance.  I just can’t say that the trailer particularly filled me with excitement. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That being said, I did love Ragnarok.   So of course I’ll give this a chance.  I just can’t say that the trailer particularly filled me with excitement.

Same here. I’m looking forward to seeing ❤️💗💕❤️Christian Bale❤️💗💕❤️ more than I am Chris. Yeah, yeah, he’s the bad guy, and I won’t be rooting for him, but I love Christian Bale. Hope he’ll be recognizable and not hidden under a lot of make up and/or prosthetics.

Whaat? I’m totally unspoiled as I haven’t read any of the articles, so, is Loki gonna be in this too?

Whaaaat? I need my Tom Hiddleston fix!

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 3:15 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I didn't like it but, I will wait until the full trailer is released. 

Oh thank goodness, you said this I thought I was the only one not going gaga over the trailer. I do admit, usually I am not a fan of Marvel teasers at the best of time, so I will hold out until the full trailer appears before getting truly worried that I will be watching a Thor parody movie. I loved Ragnorak but that doesn't mean i want a goofy comedy movie from the MCU.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I loved Ragnorak but that doesn't mean i want a goofy comedy movie from the MCU.

Same.  

Also, can’t say I’m all that excited at what appears to be a larger role for Korg.  That’s a character that’s better in small doses, IMO. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This may be very shallow of me, but I don't care. I'm glad to see Thor will back to fit-fighting-shape (at least it looks like he lost that rotund belly).

Seeing Chris Hemsworth shirtless is what I look forward to in every Thor movie.

Too bad Thor went through all that work for a revenge body just to have Jane look even hotter 😂

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Also, can’t say I’m all that excited at what appears to be a larger role for Korg.  That’s a character that’s better in small doses, IMO. 

In my opinion, even better in no doses at all.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Marvel Confirms [OMITTED WORD] Storyline in Thor: Love and Thunder
By Lauren Rouse    April 21, 2022
The Direct article link

Spoiler

An online listing for an officially-licensed replica of the Mighty Thor's helmet from Thor: Love and Thunder has revealed some more details about Natalie Portman's character in the film, seemingly confirming that Jane Foster will be "suffering from cancer" in the MCU sequel.

Mighty Thor’s Helmet (Thor: Love and Thunder) Replica
$44.99
https://shop.eaglemoss.com/us/hero-collector/marvel/marvel-movie-museum/the-mighty-thors-helmet-thor-love-and-thunder-replica 

Spoiler

Suffering from cancer, astrophysicist and Thor’s ex-girlfriend, Jane Foster, visited New Asgard and her life was changed forever. Mysteriously, the broken pieces of Mjolnir, the hammer of the thunder god, transformed her into the Mighty Thor and gifted her the superpowers of Thor, to battle threats internal and external. Wielding Mjolnir herself, she had become a godly protector and a new hero was born!

With the help of Thor, Valkyrie, and the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Mighty Thor was faced by the powerful Gorr, the God Butcher. With divine powers himself, Gorr was driven to rid the universe of gods wherever he found them. Battling cancer in her human form and Gorr in her godly form, Jane Foster was embroiled in an epic struggle with plenty of love and thunder!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Same teaser trailer but IMAX version has expanded shots...

Watch: Thor: Love and Thunder Reveals New IMAX Trailer
By Richard Nebens    April 22, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-love-and-thunder-new-imax-trailer

IMAX released an expanded aspect ratio version of the first official trailer for Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder.

This trailer provides more footage from all angles, including a better look at the planet where Thor reveals his new Ravager look. There is a better view of the rock formation behind Chris Pratt's Star-Lord as he rolls his eyes in front of the blue-skinned natives.
Fans also get a wider shot of Falligar the Behemoth, the fallen patron god of the Galactic Frontier, as the monster's full body comes into the frame. The giant carcass looks identical to the iconic shot from Jason Aaron's "God of Thunder #3", which was the debut issue for Gorr the God Butcher.

Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder | Official IMAX® Teaser
IMAX   Apr 22, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/

The presentation started with a quick sizzle reel that included glimpses of “Avatar 2,” “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” “Lightyear,” and “Thor: Love and Thunder.”

Epic Thor: Love and Thunder Mjlonir Popcorn Buckets Unveiled at CinemaCon
By ADAM BARNHARDT - April 27, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/thor-love-thunder-how-to-get-mjolnir-popcorn-buckets/

When you settle into the theater to watch Thor: Love and Thunder, chances are you'll be able to scoop some popcorn out of your just purchased Mjolnir-shaped popcorn bucket. Tuesday night, theaters took to CinemaCon to show off some collectible offerings beings sold during the summer blockbuster season. Standing strong amidst every other movie in the field is Marvel's Love and Thunder, which is packing a punch with its Mjolnir bucket and more.

In snapshots captured by Collider, the reforged Mjolnir is only the tip of the iceberg. Other neon-infused buckets and cups will be available for purchase, perfectly setting the tone as you're getting ready to settle into your seats for the movie. The website doesn't list a certain chain these will be available at, but you can see the pictures of the merch below.

Image-from-iOS-(9)-(1).jpg 
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Movies love a comeback story. This summer, it’s their turn.
By LINDSEY BAHR    MAY 5, 2022
https://apnews.com/article/summer-2022-movies-preview-213201be5f10da1833e6f6d481552b1b 

Analysts are predicting “Doctor Strange 2” could open to $170 million this weekend, double that of the first film. Marvel and Disney then follow that with the new Thor, which picks up with Hemsworth’s character traveling around with the Guardians of the Galaxy after “Endgame” and wondering “what now?”

“Thor is just trying to figure out his purpose, trying to figure out exactly who he is and why he’s a hero or whether he should be a hero,” said director Taika Waititi. “I guess you could call it a midlife crisis.”

The film brings back Portman’s Jane Foster, who becomes The Mighty Thor, Waititi’s Korg and Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie, and adds Russell Crowe as Zeus and Christian Bale as Gorr the God Butcher. Waititi has said that it’s the craziest film he’s ever made.

“It’s a great, really fun, weird little group of heroes, a new team for Thor with Korg, Valkyrie and The Mighty Thor,” Waititi said. “And, in my humble opinion, we have probably the best villain that Marvel’s ever had in Christian Bale.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Taika Waititi Says Thor: Love And Thunder Is ‘A Fantastic Film’ – And Cooler Than He Expected It To Be
By Ben Travis    May 9, 2022
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/taika-waititi-thor-love-thunder-fantastic-film-cooler-than-expected-exclusive/ 

The aim this time, he says, was “a film about love, with superheroes and outer space” – one that sees Natalie Portman's Jane Foster crash back into Thor’s life as the Mjölnir-wielding Mighty Thor. And with Chris Hemsworth’s Asgardian already on a journey of self-discovery, as teased in the film’s first trailer, it sounds like we’re in for very different kind of Thor flick – a (somewhat) sincere love story. “I wanted to embrace this thing that I was always a bit dismissive of, and explore this idea of love, and show characters who do believe in love,” says Waititi. “On paper, it feels kinds of cringy to me, but there’s a way of doing it with cool characters making a cool movie, and also having a thing that no fan ever wants in a superhero movie, which is people talking about love, and characters kissing.”

As ever with Waititi, though, nothing it quite what you expect – and apparently that includes the nature of the romance here. “I think most people will assume that the love story is between Chris and Natalie,” he teases. “I can’t promise that what people think is going to happen in this film will happen.” Get ready for the love to roll as much as the thunder.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Taika Waititi teases Thor: Love and Thunder as Thor's 'midlife crisis' film
By Devan Coggan    May 10, 2022 
https://ew.com/movies/thor-love-and-thunder-taika-waititi-summer-preview-interview/ 

"What I didn't want to do is just make Ragnarok again, because that's been done," Waititi, 46, tells EW. "I needed to do something more interesting for myself to keep the whole thing ignited and to make sure that I'm feeling creatively stimulated. I thought, What's the least expected thing with this franchise?"
The answer turned out to be love. Love and Thunder is part superhero extravaganza, part rom-com, reuniting Thor with his astrophysicist ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Since the two parted, Jane has proven herself worthy to carry Mjölnir, and taken up the mantle of the Mighty Thor. She's become a hero in her own right, with the muscles and flowing blond tresses to prove it. (The film itself draws inspiration from Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman's influential Mighty Thor comics, which first introduced Jane as the hammer-wielding hero.)   
"Ragnarok felt a bit like a party," Waititi explains. "It was quite festive. This one is still fun, and it's got moments of being over the top, but thematically, it's about something a bit deeper than the last film. It's not a serious film, and it's not a drama, but we do deal with ideas that I think a lot of humans deal with — universal themes about love and loss and our place in the world. Everyone sort of asks this question in the film: What is your purpose? What is the reason that you're a hero, and what do you do when you have these powers?"

"It's sort of like a midlife crisis film, really," Waititi adds. "That's the question we ask everyone: Are we doing the right thing, and are we doing all we can in the world? I think right now, while the world is still healing from this pandemic, it's a good question to ask. It's like, well, are we doing enough to look after each other and to look after ourselves?"
As Thor searches for self-actualization, Jane isn't the only familiar face he encounters. Waititi himself is back as the mild-mannered rock monster Korg, while Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie has embraced her new role as the King of Asgard, ruling over the tiny kingdom her people founded after the original realm was destroyed. In some ways, Waititi says, Valkyrie is thriving as king, but going from the battlefield to bureaucracy has taken some adjusting. "She's got to do all the things that they never tell you about when you're supposed to rule the people, which is deal with all of the infrastructure and figure out the economy and have delegates visit from other countries," he explains. "So, she's spending a lot of her time not fighting, and all of her new battles have to do with ruling her people."

Love and Thunder also introduces several newcomers, although the director is more tight-lipped about their roles. Christian Bale is playing the nefarious Gorr the God Butcher, and Waititi praises Bale's performance, calling him "very formidable." "I think personally, he's probably one of the best villains that's Marvel's had in their films," Waititi adds. "He's very layered."

Waititi is even more secretive about Russell Crowe's role as the god Zeus, but teases that Crowe plays the role in "a way you've never seen Russell before."
If Ragnarok was a '70s-inspired space opera, Love and Thunder has a more '80s adventure vibe. Visually, Waititi says some of his biggest influences were "movie posters for things like Conan or Beastmaster and the fancy art that you'd see on vans in Venice Beach." But ultimately, he says his main goal was to deliver a sequel that's just as big, bold, and hilarious as Ragnarok — if not bigger.

lfi4oQ5b?format=jpg&name=small 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

How Star-Lord Is Different in Thor: Love and Thunder vs. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
By Germain Lussier    May 12, 2022
https://gizmodo.com/chris-pratt-star-lord-guardians-3-thor-4-marvel-studios-1848911633 

Speaking on the occasion of his next movie, Jurassic World Dominion, out June 10, io9 asked Pratt how Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, is different in the next two movies we’ll see him in. “Well, you know, there’s James Gunn’s Peter Quill and then there’s the Peter Quill that has existed outside of James Gunn, which is in cameos in The Avengers and now the cameos in Thor,” Pratt said. “And so truly the Peter Quill that I do when James is in charge is an extension of him. And the Peter Quill that I do when it’s not him in charge is really kind of me let loose to do a little bit more than probably he would want me to do, in some way. So I guess the difference would be that.”

“James Gunn has a [focus] for Quill that isn’t on for Thor or for Avengers,” Pratt continued. “And so we’ll see how that plays out when it comes out. I mean, we’re obviously dealing with the end of Avengers and where that left the Guardians of the Galaxy with Thor [Love and Thunder]. We’ll see how that sort of transition works to set up [Guardians of the Galaxy] Volume 3.

Edited by tv echo

Natalie Portman Is Reportedly A Lot Funnier In Thor: Love and Thunder
By Richard Nebens    May 14, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-love-and-thunder-natalie-portman-funnier 

In the latest edition of Empire Magazine, Thor: Love and Thunder director Taika Waititi discussed how Natalie Portman will make her return as Jane Foster as she debuts as The Mighty Thor.
"Well, you don’t want Natalie coming back and playing that same character who’s walking around with science equipment. You know, while Thor’s flying around, she’s left on Earth, tapping her foot going ‘When’s he going to be back?’ That’s hoping. You want her to be part of the adventure. And with the character of Jane, you want a little bit more. Natalie’s really funny in real life. She’s kind of goofy and has got a great sense of humor, and I don’t think that was exploited enough in the first films."
"I always think about it in real time, for humans who have been watching the movies. So it’s been about eight years. She’s had a whole other life, and then the love of your life comes back on the scene, and is now dressed like you. It’s a real mindfuck for Thor. But I can’t promise anything. I think most people will assume that the love story is between Chris and Natalie. I can’t promise that what people think is going to happen in this film will happen."

• Love 1
(edited)

Chris Pratt on working with Hemsworth in Thor 4: "I loved every minute"
By Bryan Cairns Contributions from Jack Shepherd    May 18, 2022
https://www.gamesradar.com/chris-pratt-hemsworth-thor-4-interview/ 

"I love being able to work with Chris Hemsworth," the actor tells SFX magazine in the new issue, featuring Ms. Marvel and The Orville on the cover. "He is like Thor in real life. He’s the sweetest dude. Super-funny. Works so hard. It was great. I loved every minute of shooting [Thor 4]. I’m so grateful that they brought us along. It was neat to see him bring this to Australia and shoot it there, with all of his fellow countrymen. And with director Taika Waititi, who is just outrageous. His style is so unique."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

This is mixing two of the best ever Thor stories, both from the Jason Aaron run, but Waititi's tonal approach to Thor is way different from Aaron's, so I'm rather ambivalent about this.

• Love 2

This just looks incredibly fun. I love the storytelling narrative of the trailer from Thor saving Earth for the 500th time to the "Oh spoke to soon" at the arrival of Jane.

And Christian Bale looks pretty badass.

Sign me up.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

People on Twitter think he looks more like Voldemort.

That's the 1st thing my daughter said when she saw him.

I loved Ragnarok, but from this trailer,  I'm worried that Taika went a little too far into silliness.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 6