Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ ticket demand crashed box office sites, and that’s a good thing
Sarah Whitten    November 29, 2021
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/29/spider-man-no-way-home-ticket-demand-crashed-box-office-sites.html 

When the clock stuck midnight on Nov. 29, tickets for “Spider-Man: No Way Home” went on sale. Within minutes domestic movie ticket sites began to crash as moviegoers rushed to snag seats for one of the most anticipated films of the year.

It is something that the box office has not experienced since the pandemic began and a sign that with the right releases, the movie theater industry has a “bright future,” experts say.
Overnight, the latest installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a co-production between Disney and Sony, has sparked even more optimism. Ticketing sites like Atom Tickets, Fandango and MovieTickets.com alongside movie theater sites like AMC, Cinemark and Regal saw a surge of demand for tickets leading many to crash or place visitors in hour-long online queues.

“There are different tiers of intense fan demand when it comes to box office pre-sales, and this film is clearly showing it belongs near the top with a select few others,” said Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at BoxOffice.com. “For anyone who doubted the communal draw of the theatrical experience over the past two years, look to this enthusiasm for ‘Spider-Man’ as a major inflection point during the box office recovery period and the sign of a bright future ahead.”

This kind of fervor has not been seen at the box office since 2019 when advanced tickets for titles like “Avengers: Endgame” and “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” went on sale.
Box office analysts were already optimistic that the latest Spider-Man film could top $100 million during its December debut, but this high demand for tickets is even more encouraging for the film’s opening.

The previous solo films for Tom Holland’s Spider-Man opened at $117 million in 2017 and $92 million in 2019, according to data from Comscore.

Edited by tv echo

Our daughter's friend was online to buy tickets for a small group of them and was told the queue would be 10 minutes.  At one minute left on the countdown, it booted him and he couldn't get back in, so she tried.  She did get in but at an hour was still waiting.  I fell asleep shortly after the text, so I have no idea if she got them or how long it took. I can see from my email that our son got his tickets. I'll ask him later how long it took him. 

In this Fandango interview, Amy Pascal said that No Way Home will not be the last Spider-man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, and revealed plans for another trilogy of films...

'SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME' PRODUCER AMY PASCAL REVEALS MORE ABOUT THE HISTORIC FILM AND CONFIRMS TOM HOLLAND'S FUTURE AS SPIDER-MAN
ERIK DAVIS   NOVEMBER 29, 2021
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/spider-man-no-way-home-producer-amy-pascal-reveals-more-about-the-historic-film-and-confirms-tom-hollands-future-as-spider-man-754461 

With tickets now on sale for Spider-Man: No Way Home (in theaters December 17), Fandango spoke with producer Amy Pascal, who was not only an integral part of the earlier Spider-Man film franchises starring Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, but she was also a key figure in negotiating the game-changing collaboration between Sony Pictures, which owns the film rights for Spider-Man, and Marvel Studios, which makes films and TV shows for Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe. Pascal was quick to confirm that Sony will continue to collaborate with Marvel Studios on Spider-Man movies, and those movies will indeed star Tom Holland. 
Fandango: We are very excited. Let me jump in, so I don't take up too much of your time. You know, as someone who's been intricately involved with Spider-Man movies for the past 20 years, where does No Way Home sit on the list of Amy Pascal all timers? Is it up there?
Amy Pascal:
Oh. Oh, the movie is... so ambitious and the movie has everything that people have come to expect from a Spider-Man movie. All the spectacle, all the heart, but at the same time, as expansive as it is, it's always a very intimate story that is about Peter Parker… and his heart.

Fandango: Would you say that this movie wraps a bow around 20 years of live action Spider-Man movies?
Amy Pascal:
Well, here's what I would say. I would say that it's the culmination of the Homecoming trilogy, of the story of Tom Holland becoming the Spider-Man that we've all been waiting for him to be. It certainly tells that story and it does... and as you know from seeing the trailers, it does bring some of the characters from the early movies together. And yes, wrapping a bow around it sounds nice.
Fandango: How would you say Tom Holland's Spider-Man evolves as a character in this third film?
Amy Pascal:
I would say this movie deals with everything. It's about family and love and honor and sacrifice. But it's always centered around the decisions that Spider-Man has to make, right? It's always about him being torn between the moment that he's in and the destiny that is in front of him, and that's what he's dealing with in this movie in a really big way.

Fandango: How do you think Tom Holland has separated himself from previous versions of Spider-Man played by Tobey Maguire and Andrew?
Amy Pascal:
I think each of the actors brought their own kind of humanity to the character. All of them are brilliant and Tom is singular. I think that he's embodied everything about Peter Parker that everybody was looking for. He's funny and charming and... a fantastic athlete and a wonderful actor, and he has such humanity.
Fandango: You know, as you wrap up this trilogy of films in collaboration with Marvel Studios…
Amy Pascal:
Can I say something about that?

Fandango: Sure.
Amy Pascal:
This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel – [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie. We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn't part of… we're thinking of this as three films, and now we're going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies.

Fandango: It’s great to know that this collaboration is going to continue.
Amy Pascal:
Yes, Marvel and Sony are going to keep going together as partners.
Fandango: Is it tougher to weave together this Spider-Man universe in because Sony also has this other universe of characters like Venom and Morbius, and then there's the MCU characters. Is it a bit of a juggling act to manage all these different characters?
Amy Pascal:
Well, there's the Marvel Universe, which is one container and then there's the Spider-Verse movies, which are different and then there's the other universe where the Sony characters are in. We all are very respectful of each other and work together and make sure that we're only being additive.
Fandango: This film begins to explore more of the multiverse, but in live-action form. Audiences are a lot more familiar with the multiverse thanks to the animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse film. How important do you think multiverse storytelling will be for comic book movies over the next five, even ten years?
Amy Pascal:
I think you're going to see a lot of people exploring those worlds because it's interesting. The parallel universes make for so many interesting stories, but I don't think that every single movie is going to end up taking place in the multiverse. I think it's really exciting, and this movie certainly does.
Fandango: Do you think we’ll ever see Tom’s Spider-Man in a movie not connected to the MCU?
Any Pascal:
We all want to keep making movies together. How’s that for an answer?

Spoke too soon...

Sony Pumps Brakes on New Tom Holland Spider-Man Trilogy Announcement
BY JON ARVEDON   NOVEMBER 29, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-sony-spider-man-trilogy-doubt/ 

"This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel – [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie," Sony Pictures producer Amy Pascal recently explained. "We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn't part of… we're thinking of this as three films, and now we're going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies." Shortly after these comments surfaced, however, THR reported that insiders say there are no official plans for a trilogy at this time.

Another promo...
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Benedict Cumberbatch avoided showering for 'Power of the Dog': 'I had a biohazard zone around me'
Patrick Ryan    December 1, 2021
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/12/01/benedict-cumberbatch-avoided-showering-during-netflix-power-of-the-dog/8750162002/ 

... He is well-trained in not spilling any details about the upcoming "Spider-Man: No Way Home" (in theaters Dec. 17). 

"You know it's a dead end, but I can tell you this: It's a riotous film," Cumberbatch says with a grin. "I don't want to give anything away – and I haven't actually read the whole script! I did that on purpose because I just want the ride." 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From what I understand, the press is only getting an advance screening of 40 minutes of No Way Home, with the full movie not being shown until the world premiere (source)...

Exclusive: 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' Run Time Revealed
BY GREGORY LAWRENCE     December 3, 2021
https://collider.com/spider-man-no-way-home-runtime/ 

We can report from trusted sources that Spider-Man: No Way Home has a final run time of 150 minutes. That's two hours and thirty minutes of Spidey action — including the credits.
As stated, No Way Home's 150-minute run-time includes the credits — but we don't know anything about what those credits entail. Will No Way Home have two post-credit stingers like many MCU films before it? Just one? None at all? 17?! This information is under wraps thus far, but whatever we get won't add any more time to the ultimate two hours, thirty-minute experience.

"The first film, [director] Jon Watts and I were sort of flying by the seat of our pants," Holland tells EW. "This one, I think we both felt really confident, so we were able to relax. We actually had so much more fun on this one than we did on the previous two."
In addition to chronicling Holland's trilogy, from his early auditions to his big-screen team-ups with the Avengers, the issue also explores past versions of Spidey — Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield's outings, as well as recent hits like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. For all that and more, swing over to pick up Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man online or wherever magazines are sold.

Long Range Box Office Forecast: Spider-Man: No Way Home Tracking for Potential $200M+ Launch; The Matrix Resurrections, Sing 2, and More Christmas Release Outlooks
Shawn Robbins • December 03 2021
https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-spider-man-no-way-home-tracking-for-potential-200m-launch-the-matrix-resurrections-sing-2-more-christmas-release-outlooks/ 

PROS:

Multiple theater chains and ticketing portals crashed overnight Sunday and early Monday morning when tickets for the hotly anticipated Spider-Man: No Way Home went on sale, sparking an overwhelming amount of online traffic not seen since before the pandemic. Across the board, the trilogy-capper generated early demand vastly ahead of every pandemic era release and on par with pre-pandemic mega-blockbusters in the Avengers and Star Wars franchises.

Social media footprints likewise blew away any comparison to films released in the last two years with Twitter traction specifically driving more conversation than any tracked title outside of Avengers: Endgame and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

As a result, we are currently forecasting No Way Home to not only become the first $100 million weekend opener of the COVID-19 era, but likely the first $200 million-plus debut since May 2019’s Endgame. (Forecasts will continue to be updated as necessary over the next two weeks.)
CONS:

While virtually all signs continue to point due north for Spider-Man: No Way Home, every metric and forecast remains underscored by potential volatility and shifting consumer habits. Pre-sales for films like No Time to Die and Dune recently showed momentum upfront doesn’t always carry over into the final weeks and days before release, a lesson that could easily apply to such a fan-heavy franchise event like this Marvel Cinematic Universe title.

That said, pre-sale and social traction have remain strong in the days since tickets went on sale. Still, with an early 3pm start time on Thursday, it’s worth noting that trajectory comparisons to past mega-openers (which mostly began at 6pm or later) may prove somewhat skewed.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I transcribed three noteworthy comments from this November Q&A...

Spider-Man: No Way Home Trailer Launch Event + Q&A w/ Tom Holland @ Regal Sherman Oaks Galleria
iNCREDiPiNOY     Nov 17, 2021

-- When asked what he is hoping to teach young Marvel fans through his character, Tom Holland: "That with great power comes great responsibility... The world's changing. Everyone has a voice and we have a responsibility to do the right thing and help out our neighbor and look after one another. And that's exactly what Spider-Man stands for. So with great power comes great responsibility."

-- When asked which is his favorite MCU villain, Tom Holland: "I think my favorite has to be Alfred Molina... Working with him on this film was so fun because he was so blown away by the improvement with all the technological advances that filmmaking as made. You know, back in the day, I think it was 2002 when he made his Spider-Man movie - 2004, thank you... The arms that you used to have, were puppeteered by four different people. And nowadays, obviously, we don't do that any more because it's very time consuming. So it's all done with CG. And watching him be very free as Doc Ock was really kind of rewarding, because back in the day, if he wanted to go over here, he'd have to tell four different people, 'Guys, I'm going to step over here and then you follow me and you get this one to do that.' So to see him kind of have the freedom to bring Doc Ock back to life in a new way was amazing.." Tom went on to praise Molina and described an on set anecdote. Tom also described an on set anecdote with Willem Dafoe. Tom also mentioned how these returning villain actors had to go around set hidden under cloaks because the trailer had not yet been released, so their presence was still a secret.

-- When asked which scene he would choose if he could choose one scene from playing Peter Parker to re-shoot an experience again, Tom Holland: "I can't talk about it... There's one scene - well, there's two scenes in this film - well, there's three scenes... and I would do anything to go back and re-shoot them. They're perfect and they don't need to be re-shot. But the experience on the day of being there. ... This true moment of cinematic history is about to come true and we were there on the day making it happen. And it was crazy. ... I would love to tell you because [unintelligible words]. ... It was amazing, and I really think you guys will be proud of what Jon Watts and what Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman and all of our producers have put together and managed to accomplish. Because honestly, when they first pitched me the movie, I was like, 'That's never gonna work. There's no way you're gonna be able to get that done.' And they did and they did an amazing job."

Edited by tv echo
13 hours ago, angora said:

Lol and aww to that last comment. If Tobey and Andrew ARE in the movie, Tom's going to deserve some kind of award for not spoiling it.

Yes they are, and so is venom. :)

• Love 1

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - Watching | In Cinemas December 16 | English, Hindi, Tamil & Telugu
Sony Pictures India  Dec 10, 2021

Tom Holland on ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ and Planning the Future He Wants
BY BRIAN DAVIDS     DECEMBER 10, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tom-holland-spider-man-no-way-home-1235060750/ 

In a recent conversation with THR, Holland also discusses a couple of scenes from No Way Home, including one that resulted in a prop cupboard falling on him. Then he looks back at some key scenes from Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Well, Tom, yesterday was the fastest 38 minutes of my life. [Editor’s note: members of the media saw the first 38 minutes of No Way Home earlier this month.]
Oh yeah, the movie really gets going. There’s no real time to breathe once it gets started.
You’ve previously said that Spider-Man: No Way Home is the most ambitious stand-alone superhero movie ever made. Was your third Spider-Man movie always going to be this ambitious, or did it become more and more grand as Marvel and Sony worked out a deal?
Yeah, I think they always want these films to have a natural progression, but I don’t think they could have ever anticipated that this film would be this huge and have this kind of reaction from the fans. The initial idea of the multiverse was kind of a joke, really. I mean, it was one of those things where everyone was going, “Wow, wouldn’t that be fun?” And I think Kevin Feige was like, “Yeah, that would be really fun. Why don’t we do that?” So I tip my hat off to the incredible creatives at Marvel and Sony who have been able to not only just pull off the creative, but the logistical side of this as well. Bringing people back, scheduling issues, battling with COVID, going along with the safety protocols. So it was a tough shoot, but we all put our heads together and we got it done.

As part of the reported deal for this film, you’re also expected to appear in an upcoming Marvel Studios movie that’s independent of Sony. Without specifying, do you already know which MCU film you’re going to pop up in as Spider-Man?
Yeah, that’s not accurate at all. The new deal that was struck up was this understanding between the two studios that should Marvel want me to appear in one of their movies, then it would be an open conversation. I don’t think it’s as black and white as, “I have a three-picture deal with Marvel and a three-picture deal with Sony.” It’s just this open conversation and open dialogue between Mr. [Bob] Iger [Walt Disney Co. executive chairman] and Mr. [Tom] Rothman [chairman of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group].
When you consider Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame and now, Spider-Man: No Way Home, the audience clearly has an appetite for seeing Spider-Man in these event films with huge stakes and tons of characters. At this point, with the bar set this high, how do you guys even begin to top this? How do you go back to neighborhood-level stakes after this?
Thankfully, that is not my job. (Laughs.) My job is to just say the lines on set. There are far cleverer people than me that have been given the task of writing future movies and coming up with new ideas. And as always, I’ll be very eager to see what they come up with. But maybe we don’t top this movie. Maybe this movie is the perfect storybook ending for this chapter of Spider-Man. And if it’s time for me to step down and for the new person to step up, I would do so proudly.
I read your recent comments about not necessarily wanting to play Spider-Man after 30, and for some reason, I then thought of your church scene with Robert Pattinson in The Devil All The Time. Once Pattinson wrapped up his first franchise, he then went on this 7-year run of really interesting and bold character work. Are you eager to have a phase like that where you get as weird as you possibly can?
I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily call it weird, but I would love to explore and try out new things with different characters. But then again, I’ve been an actor since I was 11. I haven’t done anything else, and maybe I don’t want to be an actor. Maybe I just want to set up a carpentry shop and be a dad. I don’t know. I want to spend the next five years really thinking about my future rather than thinking about my career. I’m very privileged and lucky to be where I am in my career, and it’s given me a lot of stability and stuff going forward. So I think the next five years is going to be about, “What do I want the future of my life to look like?” rather than, “What do I want the legacy of my career to look like?”
You developed a reputation for spoiling movies in the past, however, the media probably blew it a bit out of proportion.
Thank you!

But you’ve really been a vault the last year. So I just want to give you credit for that.
Thank you. I appreciate that. It’s nice that someone has actually recognized that because I’ve spent the entire day doing press and all anyone wants to know is what I’m going to spoil next.
Do you keep in touch with any of your former Marvel collaborators?
Yeah, the Russos and I are in touch quite a lot. RDJ [Robert Downey Jr.] is someone I speak to very regularly. Jon Favreau is someone who I’ve kept in touch with. So there’s lots and lots of people. And lots of Marvel producers: Mitch Bell, Victoria Alonso, Louis D’Esposito. All of these people are people that I’m very happy to call friends.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Same here, @Spartan Girl. Even though this is the pandemic-era MCU film most likely to have spoilers flying all over the Internet, it’s also the one most likely to be uncomfortably packed opening weekend. I don’t want to get spoiled, but I also don’t want to get COVID.

• Love 1

You know that's a good point. I bought tickets for Friday at 11am thinking people would be at work/school and the theater would be empty. I just looked and my theater is sold out. Maybe, I'll change it to Tuesday afternoon. That looks pretty empty

• Love 1

From yesterday's red carpet world premiere of Spider-Man: No Way Home in Los Angeles...

Spider-Man: No Way Home | Red Carpet PREMIERE!
Marvel Entertainment  Dec. 14, 2021

Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet | BEST MOMENTS!

Kevin Feige On Making His Dream Spider-Man Movie | Spider-Man No Way Home Red Carpet

Tom Holland says Spider-Man: No Way Home is Emotional, Heartfelt, Exciting and Historic!

Zendaya Doesn't Have a Fear of Heights | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

Jacob Batalon's Ned is More Than Just "The Guy in the Chair" | Spider-Man No Way Home Red Carpet

Benedict Cumberbatch Loved the Atmosphere of Working on Spider-Man: No Way Home

Edited by tv echo

Jon Favreau's Favorite Spider-Man Moment! | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 15, 2021

Director Jon Watts is Surrounded By Heroes | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

Spider-Man: No Way Home Writers on Juggling the Multiverse

Benedict Wong Pitches the WCU | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

Marisa Tomei on May and Happy's On-and-Off Relationship | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

J.K. Simmons RETURNS as J. Jonah Jameson | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

On 12/13/2021 at 11:51 PM, Danny Franks said:

Oh, I'm going to need to be spoiled for this. I need to know how much of Tobey Maguire's cold, dead eyes and lifeless line delivery I'd have to sit through.

Spoiler

I saw some leaked scenes (don’t judge me) and…Tobey wasn’t half bad. Without the Mary Jane/Harry angst to drag him down, it was easy to remember why I liked his dorky Peter Parker in the first place. It was startling to see how much he resembles Tom Holland. And he does a great job playing the mentor to the younger Peters. The three of them together was amazing.

You could tell Andrew was thrilled to be back.

• Love 7

Warning: MAJOR SPOILERS...

Spider-Man: No Way Home post-credits scenes, explained
Sean Keane   Dec. 15, 2021 
https://www.cnet.com/news/spider-man-no-way-home-post-credits-explained/ 

Spoiler

Major No Way Home SPOILERS swinging your way.

Mid-credits: One lost symbiote

The villains are cured and returned to their universes along with the other Peter Parkers (Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield), the world's forgotten MCU Peter exists, and our hero is back to anonymously fighting crime in New York City. Cut to a lovely bar in Mexico.

Drinking there is Eddie Brock, aka Venom (Tom Hardy). Even though Venom is a villain from the Spider-Man comics, the recent films starring Hardy are separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe because Sony holds the rights to the character. But Sony and Marvel co-produce Spider-Man films like No Way Home, so they've clearly agreed to a little post-credits crossover: We actually saw Venom and Brock jumping into the MCU from the universe of the Venom movies during the Let There Be Carnage mid-credits scene.

In this scene, the journalist and his alien buddy learn about Iron Man, Hulk and Thanos, apparently from a bartender played by Cristo Fernández, whom you might know as the delightful Danny Rojas in Ted Lasso.
Eddie decides to track down Spidey in New York, but Venom notes that they're drunk and decides to go skinny-dipping. Before they can take their nudey swim, they're teleported away -- likely sent home as a result of the same spell Strange used to send the other Spider-Men and their villains back to their universes.

They failed to pay their bill, which is rather rude, and left behind a fragment of the symbiote, which is extremely rude.
Post-credits: A Strange teaser

Once the titles are finished, we jump away from the Spidey drama to a trailer for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (which comes out May 6, 2022). It seems tampering with the multiverse has spiraled out of control for Strange, and he's been forced to turn to Wanda Maximoff (aka the Scarlet Witch) for help.

She's been living in isolation since the events of WandaVision and assumes Strange is here to bring justice for her grief-fueled bewitching of Westview, but he assures her that he's just there to learn about the multiverse from her. In the final moments of WandaVision, we saw her searching alternate universes for her lost sons. 
The rest of the teaser features a dark version of Doctor Strange (a character who'll be familiar to people who watched the animated MCU series What If... ?), former Strange ally Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), debuting hero America Chavez, and a tentacle monster with a huge eye.

The trailer also gives us a glimpse of Strange's former love Christine wearing a wedding dress, but her role in the sequel is unclear.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I got back a couple of hours ago from seeing this. My favorite line was probably (paraphrased) “you thought magic was amazing? Math is so much better.” I clapped. 

The theater was crowded and there were lots of cheering and lots of crying. It was definitely an event movie - the actors reprising roles, the feels from losses in the movie, everything. 

Spoiler

I thought Andrew and Toney were so much fun. Tobey got the bigger round of applause though. Andrew saving MJ maybe got the biggest claps of them all, though!

• Love 5

This movie solidified that I think Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin is the greatest comic book villain performance of all time.

In general, I was a bit surprised at how much the Raimi movie characters felt like themselves here despite the wildly different aesthetic and writing style of the MCU. Maybe they brought some of the gravitas with them, because this film had a lot more genuine emotion than is often found there.

One of the best MCU movies, in my opinion. And also, this was the first time since the pandemic start that I felt like it was a 'true' theatrical experience in terms of the crowd, the people cheered like crazy for every single major character appearance. Also by far the most people I've been a room with in about two years, so I hope this doesn't end up being a superspreader.

• Love 8

My mom is the biggest Marvel fan. …

Spoiler

When MJ fell mom yelled “Get her Andrew.” In a packed theater. In a dead silent theater. Andrew caught MJ and the crowd went insane. The cheering was like the greatest moment at the Super Bowl had happened.

Mom is pretty cool

• Love 4

Got to see one of the first showings!  I guess it's technically out now, but still, SPOILERS BELOW!

While there were a few issues that I would address later and I actually might still stick with Shang-Chi as my favorite MCU film this year, this really was the first one to truly capture the "once in a lifetime" spectacle that has understandingly been missing from movies these past two years, and I had a blast through pretty much all of it.  Great action, fun one-liners, amazing performances, and fan service that mainly worked.  But it also had some true emotional beats that hit the mark and even got me teary-eyed at times.  I really can't ask for much more, honestly.

But let us get the big thing out of the way first (again, SPOILERS!): yep, as many have predicted since the beginning, we get not one, not two, but three Spider-Mans for this one, with both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield back in the suits again.  And I loved every minute of it.  Not just for nostalgia either: I thought they really did an excellent job with the dynamics between the three characters and how they are similar in a lot of ways, but also different.  I liked how Tobey's version of Peter was almost like the mentor to the other two, while Andrew's Peter was clearly carrying with him the guilt over what happened to Gwen and also even felt insecure compared to the other two (especially loved his reaction when he found out both of the other Peters had actually fought aliens in their universes.)  I also bought how Tom Holland's version still ended up leading the group in the final battle (despite being younger), because he did have more experience being on a team compared to the other two.  The interplay was just on point throughout it all and the highlights of the film.  Tobey seemed to be having fun getting to play his Peter again, but I think Andrew might have been the MVP here.  Just makes it more frustrating that his films failed him on a lot of levels, because I think this shows that he really could have been a Spider-Man for the record books if the material had been better.  I'm glad he got another chance here at least and he seemed thrilled to be back at it.

Of course, I still don't want to take anything way from Tom Holland, who I honestly think will still go down as my favorite version of the character.  Continue to hope we will see a lot more of him going forward.

As for the villains, Doc Ock from Spider-Man 2 was always one of my favorites, so it was thrilling to see Alfred Molina again in the role, and he was certainly a delight as always.  Not surprised he ended up as an ally at the end (after-all, he did come around by the end of his film too), but it was still a great moment.  That said, I have to give it to Willem Dafoe, I think.  Thought he was great in his first film as well, but he went all in here and it was glorious!  I think it helped having Norman smash the helmet/mask early on, so we really got to see him camp it up and witness all of the eye-popping, snarls, and sneering grin on Dafoe's face this time.  I also liked how brutal he was to fight against: especially the fight scene in the apartment complex.  Definitely stood out as arguably the main villain here.

The other three were kind of just there to say a few lines and get beat up, but it was still fun enough.  Definitely felt like they recon Electro a bit and he wasn't anything like the version in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and was just Jamie Foxx with electricity powers.  But, it worked well enough.  Pleasantly surprised that Sandman and the Lizard weren't just CGI extras and both Thomas Haden Church and Rhys Ifans did provide more voice work (and briefly show up on camera at the end.)

Despite prominent placement in all of the advertising, there was actually less Doctor Strange than I expected.  But he was used well though and I did like the fight/chase sequence in the mirror dimension with him and Peter.

J.K. Simmons clearly was having a blast again as J. Jonah Jameson.

Got another big return here as well: Matt Murdock!  Yep, he's officially in the MCU now and once again in the form of Charlie Cox!  Between this and 

Spoiler

Wilson Fisk's official return in Hawkeye

I'm wondering who else from the Marvel Netflix shows might finally come aboard.  My top choices would be Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle, and Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing.

Most emotional callback?  Andrew's Peter being the one to save MJ from falling and avoided Gwen's fate.  Funniest callback?  Finding a way to have Norman/Dafoe actually repeat the "I'm somewhat of a scientist myself!" line/meme.

Now, to my main negatives:

Aunt May's death.  I'm not sure if it would be technically considered fringing since I believe that's mainly used for when a hero's love interest is killed off, but it still felt like a cliched way to raise the stakes and make it personal for Peter.  Granted, I felt like the series never really took advantage of Marisa Tomei's talents here to begin with, but it was still disappointing.

As I figured, the film did feel overstuffed somewhat and some of the characters got kind of shafted like Ned and MJ somewhat.  Flash especially.  And Betty was barely a cameo.

Not sure what to make of the ending just yet.  On one hand, I do think this is a good way to finally address the whole "MCU Spider-Man is more Iron Man-lite then his own hero" criticisms, by him no longer having the backing of Stark Industries and the Avengers, and making him be more of a "street-level" hero and, yup, a "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."  On the other hand, I'm disappointed that this means all of the development between him and other characters has been not just been reset to the starting line, but even further back than that since they don't even know who Peter Parker is and the friendship they had with him pre-Spidey.  Hopefully they'll find a (natural) way to reignite these friendships and more.

Showing definitely had the biggest crowd yet and everyone seemed to be loving it.  So, yeah, I'm sure this will be doing very well for quite some time!

Can't wait to see it again!

• Love 13
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Aunt May's death.  I'm not sure if it would be technically considered fringing since I believe that's mainly used for when a hero's love interest is killed off, but it still felt like a cliched way to raise the stakes and make it personal for Peter.  Granted, I felt like the series never really took advantage of Marisa Tomei's talents here to begin with, but it was still disappointing.

It's pretty standard for Spidey though - there has to be a death of a loved one he feels responsible for (Ben, Harry, Gwen) which we get to see onscreen.  Tony's had nothing to do with Peter and they only had a limited number of people to pull from, so RIP May.

It's also interesting to see that without Tony and Steve around there's no universally beloved hero.  They could have vouched for Peter and most of the public would have taken their word for it. 

Andrew really nailed it, and it makes you wonder just how bad things got for him.  A bitter Spidey who stopped pulling his punches would leave a trail of bodies all over the place. 

• Love 12

Jamie Foxx Reveals His New Electro | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 16, 2021

Willem Dafoe is Happy to See Some Old Friends | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

J.B. Smoove is a Man of Science | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

Arian Moayed Teases His Role as Agent Cleary in Spider-Man: No Way Home

Paula Newsome On Joining the MCU | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

This was so awesome! You could tell everyone involved had a great love of the Spider-Man character and the previous films. The best parts of the film were the interactions between everyone. I really liked seeing the different Spideys and villains again. The interactions between Toby, Tom and Andrew were pitch perfect and felt true to their individual portrayals, where each Spidey was going in his story and I liked their bond. One of my especially favorite moments was Andrews catching MJ and his reaction to that. That was also one of the biggest audience reactions in my showing, him saving her.

• Love 4

Fucking Awesome! Everything I could have hoped for and more. I LOVED it.

3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

One of my especially favorite moments was Andrews catching MJ and his reaction to that

I had tears when he caught her and got choked up, like that weight was finally lifted, he could heal now.

BTaw there are a mid and post credit scene. The Post Credit was basically a trailer for Dr Strange 2 which I found disappointing. The middle credits scene was great and, at least tied into the Spidey-Verse.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

Casting Director Sarah Halley Finn On Finding the Perfect Spider-Man | No Way Home Red Carpet
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 17, 2021

Victoria Alonso Thanks the Spider-Man: No Way Home Cast & Crew

Amy Pascal On How We All Relate to Spider-Man | Spider-Man: No Way Home Red Carpet

There were so many elements happening here it should have been a disaster but that was amazing (no pun intended.) 

Just so many good moments! We didn't get the spideys finger pointing meme but we did get back cracking and web fluid talk. I remember so much discussion about Tobey having the web fluid as part of him and how that wasn't in the comics and here we are 20 years later. 

Dafoe was chewing that scenery and it was great to see him back. Jamie Foxx saying he thought Spidey would be black. Miles is out there somewhere!

Andrew is having a great year with Tick Tick Boom and I know how much he truly loved playing Spidey so I'm glad he got that chance again. When he caught MJ...oof I was feeling for him. 

I will miss Aunt May but I agree he had to have that loss that is personal and he has to feel responsible for. Sadly, it's a core part of who Peter Parker (or as Into the Spiderverse taught - any Spidey) is. We didn't see the deaths of his parents or Uncle Ben so I understand why this happened. And she got to say the great power line which was nice. 

ETA: A trip to Reddit let me know we DID get the pointing meme (and 2x!) and I'm so bummed I completely missed it. Guess another viewing is in order. 😁

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 16

I can't believe every internet rumor about this movie turned out to be true.

Nice way to cap this trilogy and leaves it open to go anywhere from here. I knew it would be epic with all the Spider-Men, but can I say how much I appreciated how funny this was. (*Murdock catches rock* "How did you do that?" "I'm a very good lawyer.") I laughed a lot.

As to the post-credit scenes, I imagine that little blob of symbiote is going wreak a lot of havoc and that Dr. Strange 2 seems to be following the What If...theory that the greatest villain for Dr. Strange will be....Dr. Strange.

• Love 2

That was spectacular (pun not intended).

So great seeing Charlie Cox as Matt again.  Really not much else to say about Cox returning.

Loved what they did with Garfield and Tobey's entering the MCU.  Garfield came through as Spidey, and Tobey came through as Peter.  Garfield was the better Spidey while Tobey was the better Peter, the MCU played to those strengths.

Gonna miss May, but yeah, Peter hasn't had that moment where there's a death he blames himself for, and loses it.  He hadn't realized his full power, and what it would mean if he stopped pulling his punches.

Garfield did it, he saved Spidey's love.  So much weight lifted off his shoulders for doing that.  You knew it was gonna happen when it showed MJ falling in the trailers, you knew that Garfield was gonna save her, but that didn't make it any less awesome and emotional.

And keeping with Spider-Man, you had to have Tobey reassure Sandman they'd get him back home, and Garfield tell Max that he wasn't a nobody.

• Love 13

Genuinely the most fun I've ever had in a movie theater, and a true reminder of what we miss when we stream everything at home on Disney Plus and HBO Max. People gasped and clapped and cheered at the villains, at Andrew and Tobey, at all of it. And it was actually a good movie too, it ranks up there as one of my favorite Marvel movies.

• Love 4

Well that was about as amazingly insane as I thought it’d be. The most insane part of the movie is that for the first time in what seems like forever I actually didn’t have a visceral reaction to seeing Tobey Maguire. It was actually… nice to see him? Though I didn’t think he deserved double the screaming and cheers that Andrew Garfield got in my auditorium. It was great seeing Garfield’s Peter again, sad but understandable that he went dark (though he didn’t seem to be heading that way in the brief confrontation with Rhino at the end of ASM-2). I’m glad Garfield got a chance to get his character closure, since he got screwed badly by Sony, smear campaign and all.

Only had a few minor qualms with the movie. Not sure why Sandman teamed up with the Sinister Six Five Four at the Statue of Liberty when he wanted the opposite of what Electro wanted. And I don’t even know what Lizard’s goal was, guess he was just reveling in the “told you so” chaos?

Can’t say I’m a fan of the universal memory wipe. Feels mainly like it was done as a way to keep Spider-Man from future superhero team-ups and avoid Disney having to negotiate with Sony every time they want to play with him in the sandbox.

Biggest bummer was that the Venom crossover turned out to be a psyche out and Eddie is already back in his own movie-verse. I wonder if there’s another Eddie Brock in the MCU, or if the symbiote will have a different host. 

Spoiler

Maybe we’ll end up with Agent Venom instead? Would make up for Flash being a cameo this go-round 

• Love 3

So… the spell that Doctor Strange did for Peter at the end, that doesn’t count for the cosmic side, right? I mean Strange did say “everybody in the world”? 

So characters like Fury, Carol, Thor and the Guardians should still remember cause they should be off world during this time. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Includes behind-the-scenes info about No Way Home (also, Feige basically confirmed that they're already working on the next Spider-man movie)...

Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal on the Future of ‘Spider-Man’ and the M.C.U.
By Brooks Barnes   December 17, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/movies/kevin-feige-amy-pascal-spider-man-no-way-home.html 

FEIGE Amy and I and Disney and Sony are talking about — yes, we’re actively beginning to develop where the story heads next, which I only say outright because I don’t want fans to go through any separation trauma like what happened after “Far From Home” [the previous Spider-Man movie, in 2019]. That will not be occurring this time.
What was the biggest “No Way Home” producing challenge?
FEIGE
Getting everybody to agree with you about the cool, big idea. “Hey, we have an idea. Will you come sign up and be in this movie.” “Cool! Can I read the script?” “No.” That was the hardest part. And that’s where Amy, who calls anyone anywhere at any time, is a master producer at making things happen.
Who was the last “No Way Home” star to sign on?
FEIGE
Not who you think. It’s not worth talking about, but not who you think.

What was your pitch to the actors who were skeptical?
PASCAL
That these weren’t going to be cash-grab cameos. The parts were real. That I was there with them the first time and would be again, that I have too much respect for them and all the work we did together over the years.

Why weren’t Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone, the female leads from previous Spider-Man movies, brought back for this one?
FEIGE
When people see the movie, they will understand. It’s about the story. It was a big goal for all of us — Amy and Jon and our writers, Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers — that Peter Parker’s senior year in high school didn’t get lost amid the insanity that ensues thanks to his encounter with Doctor Strange. That easily could have happened. And that’s the reason there’s not another 20 people in the movie.
Tobey and Kirsten. Emma and Andrew. Tom and Zendaya. Why do all your lead actors end up falling for each other in real life? It can’t just be the spandex.
PASCAL
I took Tom and Zendaya aside, separately, when we first cast them and gave them a lecture. Don’t go there — just don’t. Try not to. I gave the same advice to Andrew and Emma. It can just complicate things, you know? And they all ignored me.

Can you give Tom some advice from me? Don’t lie to reporters! In interviews over the past year, he said Tobey and Andrew were not coming back.
PASCAL
Well, he can’t reveal things that are in the movie. You wouldn’t expect him to do that. Forgive him.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3