Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: ... opened a textbook

• Start Topic

Paxton's injury likely ending the possibility of a collegiate swimming career and even his parents assuming he couldn't make it into college on his own was rough.

Devi's birdhouse lol. I'm glad Paxton came around and asked Devi to be his tutor, and they are cool, as tutor and tutee anyway.

• Love 3

Gigi Hadid should not act.  Ever.  Her narration was horrible.  Blech.

Also, what was up with Paxton's dad using a Japanese accent to imitate the grandpa, and then they show the grandpa and he's obviously American?  Like, did the actor playing the dad just assume that the grandpa character was supposed to be a Japanese immigrant and no one corrected him or did they change their mind halfway through shooting?  It was just weird and jarring. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

She shouldn't narrate. Too rushed, lack of enunciation. And too squeaky.

I loved Paxton's grandda and that all the senior ladies are afte rhim. I also enjoyed that it was Rebecca who pushed Paxton about his lack of academic ambition.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 8

I believe this was the role that Chrissy Teigen was suppose to do before she cancelled herself a couple of times. LOL.  Gigi's heart was in the right place, but, girl, nah.  That wasn't it.  I'm trying to think who would have been fun in that role; Mindy's voice would be perfect, but she'd have to be channeling Kelly Kapoor for Paxton. Selana Gomez (as she is well versed in dealing with fuck boys)? Amy Poehler or Maya Rudolph could be super fun too. Hmmm.  Anyway...even the moments of Samberg's lines were significantly better.  I clearly didn't give McInroe enough credit. 

Now, the story itself was good. I think it's easy to see Darren's cute face and look and dismiss him, but each time the show has given him an opportunity for depth, he is, IMO, one of the most nuanced actors "younger" actor's (I know he's 30something) on the show. I continue to love his relationship with his sister, I enjoyed meeting his granola parents, and his grandfather was mad cool.  Devi's grandmother's reaction to him took me out laughing.

I appreciate that he took ownership that what he was doing by making Devi do all his work wasn't the way to earn a damn thing.  It's clear that Paxton is in what 30 Rock would call the "Handsome Bubble", right?  He didn't think Stanford was that big of a deal at all b/c it is just a thing he deserves.  

I really like the relationship building we are seeing with Devi and Paxton.  They might be something, but he needs to learn the important lesson of being a respectful, good friend to a female friend first. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Also, what was up with Paxton's dad using a Japanese accent to imitate the grandpa, and then they show the grandpa and he's obviously American?  Like, did the actor playing the dad just assume that the grandpa character was supposed to be a Japanese immigrant and no one corrected him or did they change their mind halfway through shooting?  It was just weird and jarring. 

Yea, that was really off-putting to me and then when the actor playing the grandad had no accent whatsoever is just got kinda icky. Very odd choice.

I’m sorry but I generally don’t really give a shit about Paxton. And the actor looking so much older than everyone else is just taking me out of it so much this season.

I didn’t mind the narration though and I enjoyed this ep. I was please to see Rebecca again.

I'm being impatient about wanting to know who plays Paxton's grandpa: Theodore (Ted) Yoshida.
He's not in the credits.
It's not on IMDb yet.
And he looks like Korean actor Paul Sun-Hyung Lee's doppelgänger (if it's not him).

Anyway. Another fantastic episode, IMO.
I don't mind Gigi Hadid's narration, because she's supposed to sound shallow, so it's either type casting, or...it's type casting? LOL.

I'm on team Devi♥Paxton.
Ben, you'll find someone else. There are plenty of hot nerd girls in college wanting a rich guy.
Paxton just has his looks for a few more years. 
Oy. What am I saying? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm being impatient about wanting to know who plays Paxton's grandpa: Theodore (Ted) Yoshida.
He's not in the credits.
It's not on IMDb yet.
And he looks like Korean actor Paul Sun-Hyung Lee's doppelgänger (if it's not him).

That's Clyde Kusatsu.  He's been in a bunch of stuff but I always think of him as the dad from All-American Girl (the Margaret Cho show from the 90s)

• Love 7

I enjoyed this episode but if we are doing a comparison with Ben's from season 1...I enjoyed Ben's a little bit more. I think I ended up relating more to Ben's loneliness than to Paxton's expectations of just being a pretty. boy/good athlete. I also thought Ben's ended up being a little more emotional with the parents relationship but understand Paxton's parents were def strange. 

I also think Ben was known a little more to audiences by then, I wonder if Paxton's episode should have been later in the season. 

But I enjoyed getting to know him more, and I do enjoy that is has deep moments among the teenage craziness!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 5:19 PM, Snapdragon said:

That's Clyde Kusatsu.  He's been in a bunch of stuff but I always think of him as the dad from All-American Girl (the Margaret Cho show from the 90s)

Thank you!!
And sorry, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee and Clyde Kusatsu if my guess was offensive. 
And if Grandpa Yoshido lived near me, I promise I would come visit him regularly and even bring him homemade Mizu Yokan.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
9 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I believe this was the role that Chrissy Teigen was suppose to do before she cancelled herself a couple of times. LOL.  Gigi's heart was in the right place, but, girl, nah.  That wasn't it.  I'm trying to think who would have been fun in that role; Mindy's voice would be perfect, but she'd have to be channeling Kelly Kapoor for Paxton. Selana Gomez (as she is well versed in dealing with fuck boys)? Amy Poehler or Maya Rudolph could be super fun too. Hmmm.  Anyway...even the moments of Samberg's lines were significantly better.  I clearly didn't give McInroe enough credit. 

I'm assuming they originally went with Teigen because she's white/Asian mixed and known for her looks.  So I would have gone with Olivia Munn, Dean Cain, Darren Criss, Vanessa Hudgens or Mark-Paul Gosselaar.  All of them are attractive, are a mix of white/Asian and can actually, you know, act.  Dean Cain would have been an especially good choice since he was an athlete but also went to Princeton.  

*Edit.  Just realized that Dean Cain's athletic career also came to an end due to an injury so yeah, would have gone with Dean Cain.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I don't know who Gigi is but I thought she was fine. I'm also the person that last season loved McEnroe from the start and think he's even better this season. 

Grandma wanting three guesses on Paxton's ethnicity cracked me up.

• Love 13
(edited)
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can't imagine Dean Cain and Mindy Kaling would get along very well lol so I doubt she would think to ask him.

Not to mention Dean Cain has joined the nutty Scott Baio club, that would make him persona non grata.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

I find it amusing that they are using male narrators for female characters and female narrators for male characters. It's another way the show highlights male and female double standards and flips a variety of tropes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I find it amusing that they are using male narrators for female characters and female narrators for male characters. It's another way the show highlights male and female double standards and flips a variety of tropes. 

Except for Ben. His narrator is Andy Samberg.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 4

It was jarring how much better Andy was than Gigi just by one line when he was talking about Ben’s thoughts. She completely took me out of this episode with her monotonous narration, and I thought it was a good Paxton episode. 

• Love 4

I hate to say it but I think Chrissy Teigen would have done a better job narrating this episode.  But maybe that's because the voiceover script was clearly written with her in mind.  I'm guessing that they had already recorded her part before Chrissy got canceled and the only lines they were able to redo were the ones specifically referencing Gigi (her intro and I think Andy mentioned her by name).

• Love 5

I think Gigi did alright as a narrator, but you could tell that she doesn't have a lot of comedy experience. She was trying, but she sounded a bit nervous, and that hurt the jokes and her ability to project empathy towards Paxton. 

Possibly because of that I didn't quite like this one as much as last season's Ben centric episode, but I did like getting to know Paxton more. I love Paxton's grandpa and him being a ladies man among the senior set. 

Trent continues to be one of my favorite reoccurring characters. "Do you want to blow stuff up?" 

• Love 4
(edited)

On 7/16/2021 at 1:10 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

Now, the story itself was good. I think it's easy to see Darren's cute face and look and dismiss him, but each time the show has given him an opportunity for depth, he is, IMO, one of the most nuanced actors "younger" actor's (I know he's 30something) on the show. I continue to love his relationship with his sister, I enjoyed meeting his granola parents, and his grandfather was mad cool.  Devi's grandmother's reaction to him took me out laughing.

I appreciate that he took ownership that what he was doing by making Devi do all his work wasn't the way to earn a damn thing.  It's clear that Paxton is in what 30 Rock would call the "Handsome Bubble", right?  He didn't think Stanford was that big of a deal at all b/c it is just a thing he deserves.  

I really like the relationAship building we are seeing with Devi and Paxton.  They might be something, but he needs to learn the important lesson of being a respectful, good friend to a female friend first. 

Why did Chrissy Tiegen cancel herself? I know of her but not the person Gigi who became the narrator. I thought she did an OK job for Paxton's character.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:28 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, that was really off-putting to me and then when the actor playing the grandad had no accent whatsoever is just got kinda icky. Very odd choice.

I’m sorry but I generally don’t really give a shit about Paxton. And the actor looking so much older than everyone else is just taking me out of it so much this season.

I didn’t mind the narration though and I enjoyed this ep. I was please to see Rebecca again.

I was confused about Paxton's family tree 

On 7/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm on team Devi♥Paxton.
Ben, you'll find someone else. There are plenty of hot nerd girls in college wanting a rich guy.
Paxton just has his looks for a few more years. 
Oy. What am I saying? 

I would love to see Devi have crushes/date but not be in a relationship. She's not even a good friend so she's clearly not ready to have a steady boyfriend. 

I feel like I'm alone in this but I don't think Paxton has his looks even now. If the show didn't tell me he was supposed to be hot, I wouldn't have known. I like the guy but I don't think he's handsome and he looks older than he is in real life. It's less about him being 30ish and more about him having wrinkles. 

And money aside, Ben is handsomer to me. And he looks way closer to the age he's portraying. 

On 7/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, festivus said:

I don't know who Gigi is but I thought she was fine. I'm also the person that last season loved McEnroe from the start and think he's even better this season. 

Grandma wanting three guesses on Paxton's ethnicity cracked me up.

I don't know who Gigi is either but her narration worked for me for Paxton. 

I can't get anyone in my house to watch this with me because they think Devi's narrator is off-putting but I've gotten used to it. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 2

Chrissy Teigan made some really vicious statements on twitter (like telling people to kill themselves) and that's what made her persona non grata. I don't know when this season was filmed relative to the Teigan events, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was decided that she no longer was acceptable as a narrator on a show about teens that addresses bullying.

4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Chrissy Teigan made some really vicious statements on twitter (like telling people to kill themselves) and that's what made her persona non grata. I don't know when this season was filmed relative to the Teigan events

The actual comments were years ago and I believe had actually been reported on before.  But this spring/summer it all sort of coalesced into a scandal and it gained traction.  I believe she pulled out or at least that's kind of what it sounded like when it was announced. I don't think she had actually filmed the VO yet. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/15/2021 at 11:59 PM, Snapdragon said:

Huh, I actually enjoyed her way more than McEnroe. I've grown used to Johnny Mac after a whole season of it but I still have moments of cringe with his narration. Gigi came off far more natural in my opinion. 

It was nice getting some insight into Paxton, as we did last season with Ben. I just wished they'd touched on the very important point that guys like Paxton also end up where he was because the system fails them. Paxton's grandfather mentioned him learning Japanese at 5, which suggests he was smart.

But the problem is at some point he simply stopped trying when he figured he didn't have to. Because he was really natural and amazing in a swimming pool and no one was around to tell him otherwise. And that's what happens to many young athletes, so when an injury occurs, they end up screwed like Paxton. 

I did want Devi to punch Paxton in the face or maybe break the other arm when he was being a massive dick at the start of the episode. But no worries, Rebecca took care of it for me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, emjohnson03 said:

I enjoyed this episode but if we are doing a comparison with Ben's from season 1...I enjoyed Ben's a little bit more. I think I ended up relating more to Ben's loneliness than to Paxton's expectations of just being a pretty. boy/good athlete. I also thought Ben's ended up being a little more emotional with the parents relationship but understand Paxton's parents were def strange. 

I also think Ben was known a little more to audiences by then, I wonder if Paxton's episode should have been later in the season. 

I'm not sure I get the bolded since we've had a whole season of Paxton before he got a solo episode. I don't see how Ben would be more known to the audience than him. Even without a solo episode last season we met Paxton's sister and got some insight into his home life.

And the focus on him being the "dumb jock" who realizes that no one, including his own parents, see him as anything more than a dumb pretty face rang true when you remember his reaction to Devi's mom going off on him last season. I thought the actor was brilliant in that scene when you could see the restrained anger and embarrassment on his face and how he was clearly internalizing Devi's mom calling him nothing but some pretty faced loser only good for hooking up with girls. 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

And money aside, Ben is handsomer to me. And he looks way closer to the age he's portraying. 

Not his fault by any means but I  actually find the actor who plays Ben to have a very punchable face. It's the same reason I am not a fan of Adam DeVine and am part of the unpopular group that hated him and Hayley on Modern Family (not that I wanted her with Dylan either). 

It's part of the reason I continue to be Team No One in this triangle. Sorry, not sorry, I don't buy the chemistry and whatever they've tried to sell me with Devi and Ben. In fairness, it probably didn't help that I was sort of predisposed to hate the pairing the second Ben was introduced and I knew the writers would use the oh so overwrought and overused cliché trope of enemies to loves. Yeah, no... 

Meanwhile, Paxton is cute and he and Devi actually do have some nice chemistry but boyfriend is dumb and so it just kills the whole vibe for me. Also, Devi may not have liked hearing it but I think he was probably right and not just being a jerk when he said that honestly they just don't make much sense. So yeah Team No One here. I'm still waiting for a real love interest for Devi for me to actively root for. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm not sure I get the bolded since we've had a whole season of Paxton before he got a solo episode. I don't see how Ben would be more known to the audience than him. Even without a solo episode last season we met his sister and so got some insight into his home life.

And the focus on him being the "dumb jock" who realizes that no one, including his own parents, see him as anything more than a pretty face jock rang true when you remember his reaction to Devi's mom going off on him last season. I thought the actor was brilliant in that scene when you could see the restrained anger and embarrassment on his face and how he was clearly internalizing Devi's mom calling him nothing but some pretty faced loser only good for hooking up with girls. 

Not the actor's fault by any means but I  actually find the actor who plays Ben to have a very punchable face. It's the same reason I am not a fan of Adam DeVine and am part of the unpopular group that hated him and Hayley on Modern Family (not that I wanted her with Dylan either). 

It's part of the reason I continue to be Team No One in this triangle. Sorry, not sorry, I don't buy the chemistry and whatever they've tried to sell me with Devi and Ben. In fairness, it probably didn't help that I was sort of predisposed to hate the pairing the second Ben was introduced and I knew the writers would use the oh so overwrought and overused cliché trope of enemies to loves. Yeah, no... 

Meanwhile, Paxton is cute and he and Devi actually do have some nice chemistry but boyfriend is dumb and so it just kills the whole vibe for me. Also, Devi may not have liked hearing it but I think he was probably right and not just being a jerk when he said that honestly they just don't make much sense. So yeah Team No One here. I'm still waiting for a real love interest for Devi for me to actively root for. 

We did get to know Paxton quite a bit before his solo episode - not as much as we got to know Ben, but we did get some insight. 

I don't like Adam DeVine either (also doesn't mean I wanted Hayley with Dylan) and I thought his character was corny. Same as his commercials and in Pitch Perfect. The actor who plays Ben doesn't annoy me so much - maybe because he's not playing a goody-two-shoes. 

I also predicted the Ben love story but I didn't expect Devi's love life to turn out this way.

I think Devi and Paxton vibe nicely together - but not necessarily better than her and Ben. I think it's because she and Ben have this banter and Ben looks at her a certain way when he realizes how much he likes her. Also because ben doesn't have so many wrinkles and undereye bags the way Paxton does. It's just more believable.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Not the actor's fault by any means but I  actually find the actor who plays Ben to have a very punchable face.

There's this, plus the fact that whenever he's pissed at Devi, he resorts to the behavior of a toddler and calls her "David", instead of Devi. Which makes me want to punch him even more.

I guess things have changed since I was in high school--wanting to date or be with someone who is your intellectual equal was/is a thing once you're an adult. I remember hearing and reading about women who only want to date men who have a college degree/successful/etc., etc.

High School dating used to be about going with someone who you really "LIKED" and more often than not, it would have been the "hot" and "popular" one; and you hoped they "liked you, liked you!" 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I rolled lol!

Honestly if you watch interviews with the whole cast the actor that plays Paxton in some of them he seems uncomfortable and not into it as the rest of them.Jaren who plays Ben has a very bubbly personalily.

• Love 1

I found paxtons episode to be a little boring to be honest.O do think meeting his parents though it made sense why he was more forgiving towards devi than Ben is.Paxton parents believe in kindness over success while Ben parents believe in ambition and success over anything including parenting there own kid.

• Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

guess things have changed since I was in high school--wanting to date or be with someone who is your intellectual equal was/is a thing once you're an adult. I remember hearing and reading about women who only want to date men who have a college degree/successful/etc., etc.

High School dating used to be about going with someone who you really "LIKED" and more often than not, it would have been the "hot" and "popular" one; and you hoped they "liked you, liked you!" 

To be clear, Paxton's being dumb as dirt, especially next to Devi's intelligence, is MY hang-up in enjoying the pairing. It makes complete sense to me why teenage, high school Devi would be into Paxton. It's just that as a viewer who yeah, left the teen years behind a long time ago, I'm not into either pairing because with Paxton, his oh so pretty but oh so dumb moments are cringe for me and I just don't see it with Devi and Ben. That said before anyone goes on some unnecessary tangent, it's not affecting my enjoyment of the show in any way. I'm just not particularly invested in whoever Devi ends up with is all. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

To be clear, Paxton's being dumb as dirt, especially next to Devi's intelligence, is MY hang-up in enjoying the pairing. It makes complete sense to me why teenage, high school Devi would be into Paxton. It's just that as a viewer who yeah, left the teen years behind a long time ago, I'm not into either pairing because with Paxton, his oh so pretty but oh so dumb moments are cringe for me and I just don't see it with Devi and Ben. That said before anyone goes on some unnecessary tangent, it's not affecting my enjoyment of the show in any way. I'm just not particularly invested in whoever Devi ends up with is all. 

To be fair I think devi needs to focus on herself and Greive properly  for her father and not be obsessed with having a boyfriend.To be fair I think Ben is just as messed up as devi is and  is just as obsessed with relationships as devi is because of his parents neglect and  not wanting to be alone.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

I found paxtons episode to be a little boring to be honest.O do think meeting his parents though it made sense why he was more forgiving towards devi than Ben is.Paxton parents believe in kindness over success while Ben parents believe in ambition and success over anything including parenting there own kid.

I loved "meeting" Paxton's parents. They are such low-key people and it makes so much sense that he is, too. 

Ben's parents make sense for him, too. 

9 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

To be fair I think devi needs to focus on herself and Greive properly  for her father and not be obsessed with having a boyfriend.To be fair I think Ben is just as messed up as devi is and  is just as obsessed with relationships as devi is because of his parents neglect and  not wanting to be alone.

I get that Devi is in a boy-obsessed phase right now but I'd like to see her without a boyfriend and even learning how to be a better friend.

• Love 2
On 7/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, truthaboutluv said:

I have the same hang-up but also know it makes sense from Devi's teenage perspective, because, despite it being in the very distant past, I still cringe when I think about the handsome but dumb boys I had crushes on in high school and even college. I was very much like Devi in high school--a top student with just a couple of friends, not in the popular group and mostly unnoticed by boys. Although hormones and romantic pop songs (this was the 1960s) were mostly to blame for my crushes, the desire to have a handsome boyfriend also came from needing to be validated by my peers. If one of my crushes had actually been interested in me, I'm sure I would have soon realized that he wasn't right for me.   

• Love 3
On 7/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Paloma said:

I have the same hang-up but also know it makes sense from Devi's teenage perspective, because, despite it being in the very distant past, I still cringe when I think about the handsome but dumb boys I had crushes on in high school and even college. I was very much like Devi in high school--a top student with just a couple of friends, not in the popular group and mostly unnoticed by boys. Although hormones and romantic pop songs (this was the 1960s) were mostly to blame for my crushes, the desire to have a handsome boyfriend also came from needing to be validated by my peers. If one of my crushes had actually been interested in me, I'm sure I would have soon realized that he wasn't right for me.   

I get it! Devi is academically inclined but that doesn't mean she isn't like other girls her age who are interested in having a handsome boyfriend. 

I just wish the show had chosen a handsome, age-appropriate love interest for Devi so this could be more believable. I have a hard time seeing short, small-framed wrinkle-faced Paxton as a heartthrob. If Paxton kept his shirt on, it would make sense for him to switch roles with Ben. 

Of course, I'm only referring to Paxton's physical status as a heartthrob. Once we see more of him, we get to know that he's a flawed but kind person with strong family values. 

• Love 1