Type keyword(s) to search

Indispensable Kitchen Gadgets

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don't know what an immersion circulator is but I bought a immersion blender for making soups and creaming things. ... If we are talking about the same tool treat yourself to one as come winter it will make all your soups, mashed potatoes etc a breeze. 

Two different things -- the immersion blender is what you have (I love mine, too!), and the immersion circulator is what you use to control the water temperature for sous vide cooking.

• Love 2

Goes anyone have one of those portable/tabletop ice makers? I'm looking to get one but Naively assumed that they would store the ice as well. I've heard this isn't necessarily the case with all of them. If you have them - what has been your experienced, do you like it? I don't need a very big one, it would just be me.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:51 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Goes anyone have one of those portable/tabletop ice makers? I'm looking to get one but Naively assumed that they would store the ice as well. I've heard this isn't necessarily the case with all of them. If you have them - what has been your experienced, do you like it? I don't need a very big one, it would just be me.

Thank you for asking this.  Mr. pig likes margaritas on weekends, and those bags of grocery ice take up an inordinate amount of freezer space.  I'll be curious to see your responses.

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Thank you for asking this.  Mr. pig likes margaritas on weekends, and those bags of grocery ice take up an inordinate amount of freezer space.  I'll be curious to see your responses.

Hold off until Sonic comes out with an ice maker. Family and friends rave about their ice.

Ok Instant Pot fans.  It's in my shopping cart at Amazon.  I really want it.  But are any of you singles?  Can I justify this purchase?  Or is it something I will use once or twice and store away with a lot of other gadgets I have purchased.  Is it worth it for a family of one human plus various pets?

3 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Ok Instant Pot fans.  It's in my shopping cart at Amazon.  I really want it.  But are any of you singles?  Can I justify this purchase?  Or is it something I will use once or twice and store away with a lot of other gadgets I have purchased.  Is it worth it for a family of one human plus various pets?

We have two people and use it often. I often make things and freeze the leftovers but it's super versatile. My boyfriend makes steel cut oats or breakfast quinoa just for himself in the morning, he sets it up the night before and uses the timer and it's ready for him when he wakes up.it really all depends on how and what you cook. My sister got her brother in law one for his birthday and he is single and posts recipes he has made nearly everyday on FB (which might explain why he is single). 

I don't have pets but people appear to love it for making dog food.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:51 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Anyone know where I can get a rubberized circle that gives a good grip when opening jars?

I just bought some at Ace Hardware.  They were by Good Cooks and cost $3 (I needed to bump up my total purchase to use a coupon).

91+XCNKxJvL._SY450_.jpg

• Love 2

My mom has a counter-top ice maker, it doesn't store the ice so it kinda sucks. Meanwhile my office has one that's about the size of a mini fridge that is under the counter, it does store ice, and makes a ton so it's awesome but probably way more than a normal human needs. I'm with @Giselle though. Sonic ice for the win. 

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

By the way they do in fact make in ice maker that makes Sonic Nugget ice.

Until it becomes more affordable (and with a better warranty), I'll continue to do this.

https://food52.com/blog/16787-the-secret-to-making-soft-crushed-ice-sonic-style

I used a can of La Croix because that's what I had on hand.  First, I used a regular ice cube tray.  I had trouble getting the ice out and the cubes were too big.  Then I bought some silicone tube trays.  That was better, but I think I'm going to have to try a silicone mini cube tray for best results.  Or go to Sonic.

i was surprised by how light the ice felt when it was frozen.  It was also very snowy white in color.  

I'm stretching to fit this in this thread, but I need glasses to see what I'm doing in the kitchen.  My dentist used to make them all sparkly in their ultrasonic cleaner.  Amazon had a home version as a Gold Box item and I ordered.  It works!  Not just eyeglasses, but jewelry (which you sometimes forget to take off while you're baking food and tiny kitchen equipment like mini-whisks that get gunk in their joints. $39.99 with a very small counter footprint.

See, mods - I kept on-topic!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys go nuts over Thermomix over there? 

It's got a cult following in Australia. Not my thing because I cook in huge volumes and the food is very boiled.  

Not my thing either. After reading about it  om the web and on different cooking forums and seeing a few you tube video's. I decided it wasn't for me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had an Oxo Good Grips 12" tong for 10 years.  I loved it & used it a lot.  The springe on it finally died & I missed it.  I bought a 9" & another 12" to replace it.  My kitchen is a happy place again.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4

When I bought tongs, I thought I was being silly, and gadget-happy for no good reason. But I find I use them constantly and now I can't believe I lived so long without them.

I had not heard of thermomix until now.

An ultrasonic cleaner sounds great. I had not idea they were available for home use.

I want something that will make a block of ice (not cubes). I want to put a big block of ice inside a container and let my cat use it as a cool place to hang out on hot days in the summer (we don't have a/c). I don't want to use the styrofam cooler itself because it doesn't have handles and would be very hard to lift in and out of the top-loading chest freezer.  This may prove an impractical plan, but I like the idea of it. I think ice cubes would melt too fast, and also I don't want to buy a million ice cube trays and have to fill and refreeze them multiple times a day. A big block of ice will stay solid longer, and be easier to refreeze.

12 hours ago, ariel said:

I had an Oxo Good Grips 12" tong for 10 years.  I loved it & used it a lot.  The springe on it finally died & I missed it.  I bought a 9" & another 12" to replace it.  My kitchen is a happy place again.

I have that one and liked it so much I bought the shorter one as well. They both get used a lot, and for things that you wouldn't even think would make sense. Really useful tools. 

I have the OXO 12" tongs and I think the only thing I ever use them for is hanging Christmas lights from the front awning.  They are just too big and unwieldy for me.

One thing I use a lot that I thought was a waste of space at first is an offset spreader.  I had gotten along fine with a regular spreader for years and didn't see the point, but boy does it make frosting cookies easier.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

When I bought tongs, I thought I was being silly, and gadget-happy for no good reason. But I find I use them constantly and now I can't believe I lived so long without them.

An ultrasonic cleaner sounds great. I had not idea they were available for home use.

I want something that will make a block of ice (not cubes). I want to put a big block of ice inside a container and let my cat use it as a cool place to hang out on hot days in the summer (we don't have a/c). I don't want to use the styrofam cooler itself because it doesn't have handles and would be very hard to lift in and out of the top-loading chest freezer.  This may prove an impractical plan, but I like the idea of it. I think ice cubes would melt too fast, and also I don't want to buy a million ice cube trays and have to fill and refreeze them multiple times a day. A big block of ice will stay solid longer, and be easier to refreeze.

Can you buy blocks of ice where you can buy bags of ice cubes? Almost all the convenience stores that have the big coolers out front that sell bagged ice also sell block ice in 10 lb. and 20 lb. blocks.

(edited)
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I've made giant ice cubes before by filling carry out containers (all kinds) almost to the top with water and freezing them.  Also, plastic cups would work.  Cupcake pans (metal or silicone would work), and bundt cake pans.  Bread loaf pans would work, too.  For pans that are not flexible, either run warm water over the bottom, or dip the bottom in a pan filled with warm water to release.  If, for some reason, you want something bigger, a child's plastic beach bucket might work. I've also seen a youtube video where cat owners filled a giant balloon with water, froze it, and then popped it and put it in the cat dish, though that seems like waaay too much work for me.

ETA:  in re-reading your post, it seems like you want something for your cat to lay on.  In which case, a baking pan might work, or old 2-liter plastic bottles lined up in a row (in a box or pillowcase or something to keep them from rolling apart).

ive also heard of people re-using the bladder of boxed wines for giant ice cubes as well.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 1

One more thought: plastic storage bins.  They come in a wide variety of lengths, depths, and widths.  So, you could find something that will fit in your freezer and be the perfect size for your cat.  I recommend putting it in the freezer and then using a pitcher with a spout to fill it with water.  Water in a liquid state is tough to carry around.  Once frozen, it's a bit easier to carry.  

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if you took the kids off a couple of personal playmate coolers and used those to make blocks.  Spray Pam or use crisco on the bottom and sides, fill them with water and stick them in the freezer. You could pop them out, wipe them off and put 2 or 3 together. They would be about 6 inches thick and melt slower. 

You could also use a couple 9x13 metal cake pans. Pop them out wet them down  then stack the blocks on top of each other back to back (level bottoms) and refreeze to make a thicker block.

Edited by Giselle
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Can you buy blocks of ice where you can buy bags of ice cubes? Almost all the convenience stores that have the big coolers out front that sell bagged ice also sell block ice in 10 lb. and 20 lb. blocks.

I have never seen that option. I live in a rural area and there aren't many convenience stores nearby. But it's something I may look into when going to a city for errands. It didn't occur to me that places that sell cubes might also sell blocks, so I never asked. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

Some good brainstorming here!

On 6/18/2017 at 11:48 PM, possibilities said:

How about re-using gallon milk jugs? Freeze them with water inside, built in handle, ice melts into jug (except sweat).  Or use large plastic or Tupperware containers to freeze in.

• Love 1

I think I use tongs for everything (I have three pairs). Pasta, flipping things overs, pulling pans out of the oven. Heck, I used a trick I saw online and wrapped some cloths around each  side and cleaned my blinds. 

• Love 1

Me too and they're all different sizes. I have sliding doors to my pantry so a shelf like Mindthinkr's won't work. I have some in a spinning rack, some on a lazy susan and the rest in a shoebox in the cupboard. When I win the lottery and re-do my kitchen, I will find a solution.

I love my herb & Vegetable manual chopper/shredder!

Carrots, onions, herbs, chillies, peppers, even ice cubes - all perfectly chopped and diced ready for cooking. Yes, it can get a bit messy, but it certainly beats doing this by hand!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody have those teensy 3.5 inch cast iron skillets we've seen on cooking shows?  Are they worth buying?  They're so cute.

I have two, I don't think I bought them but I do use it for toasting spices, frying one egg, scrambling a few eggs, making single serving cornbread, small cobblers, and pies (both chicken pot and fruit). It's nice when I am just cooking for myself or two people.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I have two, I don't think I bought them but I do use it for toasting spices, frying one egg, scrambling a few eggs, making single serving cornbread, small cobblers, and pies (both chicken pot and fruit).

I want.  I want.  They're not expensive on Amazon so I'm going for it.  Thanks for your input!

21 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody have those teensy 3.5 inch cast iron skillets we've seen on cooking shows?  Are they worth buying?  They're so cute.

I bought two in a hardware store years ago before they became popular. They didn't cost much. It takes a little work to keep them seasoned, but I like them.

• Love 1
Just now, ariel said:

I bought two in a hardware store years ago before they became popular. They didn't cost much. It takes a little work to keep them seasoned, but I like them.

Appreciate the input.  I ordered via Amazon and will be interested to see how many quail eggs I can fit in those li'l pans.

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I have a couple (one is cast iron and I love it). I do use them but I'm single and I'm only cooking for one so they're the perfect size for individual-sized eveeverything.  And they make the perfect shaped pancakes!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ariel said:

Oxo products have severed me well.  They are good quality &  last a long time.

Severed? Note to self...don't buy Oxo! Just kidding! Loved your typo and glad I'm not the only that gets screwed by autocorrect.

• Love 6

Question for the bakers on the forum-I currently have a Hamilton Beach stand mixer, but I hate the tilt head (it's ALWAYS locked, as opposed to the Kitchen Aid where you get the option), as the tilted head doesn't fit under my cabinet, so I have to pull it out and it's super awkward.  I'm considering the Kitchen Aid mixers with the drop down bowl, and wondered if any of you had any strong opinions one way or another on it?  I mean, a Kitchen Aid is an investment and never a waste of money, but there's no need to spend it if I'm just gong to hate the design.  I grew up with the classic Kitchen Aid and vastly prefer that as well over the Hamilton Beach.

Do you leave it under the cabinet while you are using it?  My Kitchen Aid won't fit under the cabinet with the head tilted up, but I never use it that way.  How do you add your ingredients or scrape down the bowl? 

3 minutes ago, Quof said:

Do you leave it under the cabinet while you are using it?  My Kitchen Aid won't fit under the cabinet with the head tilted up, but I never use it that way.  How do you add your ingredients or scrape down the bowl? 

No, currently I have to pull it out in order to tilt the head, and I have to tilt the head on this mixer in order to get in there with a spatula to scrape the sides.  

(edited)

But my point is - isn't it going to be too far to reach to use the mixer while it is under the cabinet? Even if the bowl-lift model will fit under the cabinet (and isn't it taller than the tilt head?), are you going to use it under the cabinet? 

ETA The bowl - lift model is 3 inches taller.

Edited by Quof

I don't know if it's just because I am used to it and don't have to move it but I prefer the tilt head to my parents drop down bowl one that I have to move and is heavier. I think I like the way the bowl locks into the base on the tilt head versus the arms on the other.