Type keyword(s) to search

Indispensable Kitchen Gadgets

• Start Topic

(edited)

My microwave is dying.  It's a Sharp & almost 10 years old.  It lived a long & happy life.  What's a good replacement?  I'm looking at microwave/convection.

Edited by ariel

Don't get a Samsung microwave. My neighbor replaced hers after only 3 years and mine is making noises and not heating as well after 6 years.

I had an Emerson before this one and that lasted 11 years.

(edited)

If you want just a micro with a carousel, I would recommend the Sharp.  My first one was my parents & it lasted over 10 years.  The one I have now is almost 10.

ETA - I think I may have the answer.  Go Sharp again.

Edited by ariel
(edited)

I have found my people and my thread! Sorry ahead of time I gonna get carried away.

We all have that one area that we don’t mind spending money on, even major money. For me it is the kitchen. What I consider the best of something isn’t always the most expensive but it is the best at doing what it does in its field in my opinion.

Swing Away Jar opener. I grew up with one and loved that it opened every jar I asked it to. I like giving them as an extra housewarming gift.

Thermopen Thermometer. I’m left handed and I like that the display turns upside down. Quick and easy to read.

2 burner plancha from the Mexican grocery store. It’s just the right thickness to heat quickly, respond to temperature changes and not burn.

Lamson Sharp long handled granny forks.

Kwik-Kut Kutter. Perfect size for cathead biscuits.

Prep spoons and forks. About as big as a  serving tablespoon but smaller than a cooking one, 4- pronged serving forks. These can mix, mash, scoop, break up, and shred food all without messing up my silverware. Battle scarred.

Texas Pecan Sheller I’ve got Grannys. Also got her noodle cutter.

White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer. Grew up with the hand cranked one added and electric one and a Kitchen Aid counter model for small batches. I dream of a pacojet

Left Handed Cooking Utensils. Fish Spatulas, wooden pan spoons

Tomato Shark to hull tomatoes and strawberries

Benriner Mandoline. Great for quick slicing or quick julienne. Used more than the metal mafter. I use a cutting glove with it.

Scalpel and Blades for slashing bread loaves.

Microfiber towels as dishcloths. Great for cleaning pots, pans, soaking up spills on counters (no water spots). These are a separate set of cloths not used for drying and different from the ones I use for home and auto. I hate sponges and the towels are put out fresh each morning and as needed.

Kitchen Scale. I prefer to bake by weight when I can.

Anchor Hocking Glass Mixing Bowls. I have 3 sets of 4.

Double and triple sets of mixing bowls (including Kitchen aid stand mixer), measures, spatulas and spoons, baking pans and chopping boards. I’ve found that having extra sets makes me more efficient.

I have some items from ethnic stores that have become indispensable , a large granite mortar and pestle, a Thai rice steaming set, a giant Couscousier, 24x1 inch Kabob swords, plate lifter, Chinese frying strainer .

I’ll second flour sack towels, silpats, Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, Vitamix, immersion blender and Cuisinart.

I want a Persian rice cooker for Tadig and a Thai BBQ (Tao)!

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

I have found my people and my thread! Sorry ahead of time I gonna get carried away.

We all have that one area that we don’t mind spending money on, even major money. For me it is the kitchen. What I consider the best of something isn’t always the most expensive but it is the best at doing what it does in its field in my opinion.

Fantastic list, Giselle.  I'm checking my inventory now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

Swing Away Jar opener. I grew up with one and loved that it opened every jar I asked it to. I like giving them as an extra housewarming gift.

Thermopen Thermometer. I’m left handed and I like that the display turns upside down. Quick and easy to read.

2 burner plancha from the Mexican grocery store. It’s just the right thickness to heat quickly, respond to temperature changes and not burn.

Lamson Sharp long handled granny forks.

Kwik-Kut Kutter. Perfect size for cathead biscuits.

Prep spoons and forks. About as big as a  serving tablespoon but smaller than a cooking one, 4- pronged serving forks. These can mix, mash, scoop, break up, and shred food all without messing up my silverware. Battle scarred.

Texas Pecan Sheller I’ve got Grannys. Also got her noodle cutter.

White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer. Grew up with the hand cranked one added and electric one and a Kitchen Aid counter model for small batches. I dream of a pacojet

Left Handed Cooking Utensils. Fish Spatulas, wooden pan spoons

Tomato Shark to hull tomatoes and strawberries

Benriner Mandoline. Great for quick slicing or quick julienne. Used more than the metal mafter. I use a cutting glove with it.

Scalpel and Blades for slashing bread loaves.

Microfiber towels as dishcloths. Great for cleaning pots, pans, soaking up spills on counters (no water spots). These are a separate set of cloths not used for drying and different from the ones I use for home and auto. I hate sponges and the towels are put out fresh each morning and as needed.

Kitchen Scale. I prefer to bake by weight when I can.

Anchor Hocking Glass Mixing Bowls. I have 3 sets of 4.

Double and triple sets of mixing bowls (including Kitchen aid stand mixer), measures, spatulas and spoons, baking pans and chopping boards. I’ve found that having extra sets makes me more efficient.

I have some items from ethnic stores that have become indispensable , a large granite mortar and pestle, a Thai rice steaming set, a giant Couscousier, 24x1 inch Kabob swords, plate lifter, Chinese frying strainer .

I’ll second flour sack towels, silpats, Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, Vitamix, immersion blender and Cuisinart.

I want a Persian rice cooker for Tadig and a Thai BBQ (Tao)!

What are cat head biscuits?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

What are cat head biscuits?

A regular biscuit but bigger, usually about 3-4 or more inches in diameter. "As big as a cat's head."

My grandpa used to say there was no better breakfast than cat heads and gravy.

• Love 1
Just now, Giselle said:

A regular biscuit but bigger, usually about 3-4 or more inches in diameter. "As big as a cat's head."

My grandpa used to say there was no better breakfast than cat heads and gravy.

In that case, I heartily concur! I am southern but have never heard that term. But feed me biscuits and gravy, even via an IV, and I am happy indeed.

1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

In that case, I heartily concur! I am southern but have never heard that term. But feed me biscuits and gravy, even via an IV, and I am happy indeed.

Dropped or cut, small or large, self rising or regular flour, buttermilk or sweet milk,  it doesn't matter. Good biscuits are sheer bliss. Biscuits and sausage gravy are heaven.  

Anybody for fresh side and fried mush? 

• Love 1

Ooh, Swing Away can openers are wonderful.   I work in food,  our line includes the massive cans, and at food shows when we have to open 20,000, those are the best.  The crank keeps you from getting carpal tunnel, too.

1 hour ago, tiftgirl said:

OOoooo, where do you find these?

Some on Amazon some at cookware stores.

Lamson Sharp Fish Spatula Left Handed, black handle. Amazon. I love this. Ended up also buying the right one for lifting and for others to use.

Joyce Chen Left Handed Bamboo Spatula. Amazon.This is the smaller 13" version. Years ago she had a much larger one called "The Lefty" I bought it at a kitchen store in Az. It's the one I most reach for.

There was recent discussion of poaching eggs and I usually use the ring of a mason jar lid but this item was in a gift basket I received:

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/silicone-egg-poacher/s200616

I like it! Bring the water to a low simmer, place the poacher in the water and put the egg in the poacher. (i broke the egg in a little ramekin first to make sure the yolk didn't break.) Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Then I used a spoon to gently lift it out of the poacher, drain on a paper towel if necessary and plop on plate. It was super easy. 

I'd like everyone's opinion about rust. More specifically slightly rusty cake tins.

I have a bunch of chiffon cake tins that I use to death and some are getting a wee bit rusty. Now google tells me it's fine and won't kill us all. I am curious as to what other cook's think.

Another non-gadget type gadget that I can't live without: A non-slip aluminum counter mat for setting hot cookware on. Protects the counter top, I can set the hottest glass baking dishes on it without worrying about the glass cracking, and I can just leave it on the counter at all times without it taking up any space. The only downside is that I have to remember to clean under it occasionally, because gunk seems to be mysteriously attracted to the underside.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I need to do something about getting a new grill and after reading your raves about the WSM Smoker, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger.  I'll probably go for something that can act as both a grill and a smoker.

The advice I got on something that does both are kamodo (typically ceramic) grills. The trade off for the quality and versatility is that they are pretty pricey. 

On 5/13/2017 at 9:33 PM, larapu2000 said:

Ooh, Swing Away can openers are wonderful.   I work in food,  our line includes the massive cans, and at food shows when we have to open 20,000, those are the best.  The crank keeps you from getting carpal tunnel, too.

It's the only can opener I've ever really used. I've got several about the houses and pet food bins. They last forever. I also have a version of a Kitchen Aid that is almost as good as Swing Away. Recently I found another 3 new & unused that my dad had bought 10-15 years ago. ???

FYI all Swing Aways are not the same. They have changed over the years from what they were. The finish of the metal is different and the tang of the handle has changed from what they are now.

My friend's handle will come right off and is different in the hand.

They all still cut cans like nobody's business!

(edited)
On 5/19/2017 at 8:37 AM, DeLurker said:

I need to do something about getting a new grill and after reading your raves about the WSM Smoker, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger.  I'll probably go for something that can act as both a grill and a smoker.

22 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The advice I got on something that does both are kamodo (typically ceramic) grills. The trade off for the quality and versatility is that they are pretty pricey. 

I've got that big Webber Kettle that everybody seems to have with the ash dumper. I also prefer charcoal to gas. It's worked well for me for grilling and smoking. I also have a Weber Go Anywhere (love it) and my parents old hibachi they bought when dating. Those and a camp cooker for turkey frying and boils and I'm set.

While I've also heard raves about the egg. They just don't speak to me.

I keep thinking about an off set smoker but the Webber has been just fine. 

The neatest thing I ever saw was a homemade pig rotisserie. My dad's friend makes the best lechon. He has a pit built in his back yard, along with a dirty kitchen. He hand made the electric belt driven spit that turns his delicious pig.

The sheepherders and ranchers in my family used spit roast or would dig a pit, burn it down, then put the meat in burlap & covered it in dirt all to let it sit and cook to perfection. That and a hunk of real Dutch oven sheepherder's bread and was heaven.  Dang what they could pull out of a Dutch oven, pure yum. 

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
On 5/14/2017 at 2:12 PM, Giselle said:

Some on Amazon some at cookware stores.

Lamson Sharp Fish Spatula Left Handed, black handle. Amazon. I love this. Ended up also buying the right one for lifting and for others to use.

Joyce Chen Left Handed Bamboo Spatula. Amazon.This is the smaller 13" version. Years ago she had a much larger one called "The Lefty" I bought it at a kitchen store in Az. It's the one I most reach for.

Thank you!  My Step-mother got me a pair of regular size left-handed scissors last Christmas, not the dinky little snub-nosed ones that were all that were available when I was growing up.  They had been recommended by a lefty friend of hers.  She said she didn't really understand what would make them so different or regular hard to use left-handed.  I had her use the ones she gave me with her right hand.

She was surprised that the didn't cut as well and was awkward to use them in her left.

Welcome to my world (any yours)  :)  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

Thank you!  My Step-mother got me a pair of regular size left-handed scissors last Christmas, not the dinky little snub-nosed ones that were all that were available when I was growing up.  They had been recommended by a lefty friend of hers.  She said she didn't really understand what would make them so different or regular hard to use left-handed.  I had her use the ones she gave me with her right hand.

She was surprised that the didn't cut as well and was awkward to use them in her left.

Welcome to my world (any yours)  :)  

Glad I could be of help. My grandmother gave me a beautiful set of Gingher shears and pinking shears when I was getting serious about sewing as a kid. I use them to this day.  You can get left handed can openers, rulers and other things on line. I just learned to adapt.

One thing to be aware of are Japanese knives. Most are single bevel and made for right handed people. They are some made for left handed but always check before you buy. :-)

This store is at Pier 39 in San Francisco. They also have their own website and are on Amazon. Took a friend there when the family went up for a Patriots vs 49ers game. She went crazy buying stuff. There are other stores on line.

https://www.leftyslefthanded.com/

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1

Pulled pork in 45 minutes,  collard, turnip or mustard greens in 9 minutes;  baked chicken thighs from frozen in 28 minutes.  My electric pressure cooker cooks things that taste as though they had cooked all day.  I've only been using it for a month,  so I'm just learning.    Definitely my favorite kitchen gadget.

• Love 1

I definitely love my instant pot. It's hotter than hades here & I was able to make a delicious chicken fajita meal without heating the kitchen by letting the steam release naturally.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2017 at 11:17 PM, Giselle said:

Biscuits and sausage gravy are heaven.  

Last nights dinner lol! 

Anyone know where I can get a rubberized circle that gives a good grip when opening jars? I was given one at the office via a drug rep but sadly it's crumbling and drug reps no longer can give perks (dang all those free pens and post it notes are gone ?)

On 5/15/2017 at 5:55 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I'd like everyone's opinion about rust. More specifically slightly rusty cake tins.

I have a bunch of chiffon cake tins that I use to death and some are getting a wee bit rusty. Now google tells me it's fine and won't kill us all. I am curious as to what other cook's think.

My mother's bundt cake pan has some rust and it hasn't bothered any of us in 20 years (it's sentimental, I can't throw it out) 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Last nights dinner lol! 

Anyone know where I can get a rubberized circle that gives a good grip when opening jars? I was given one at the office via a drug rep but sadly it's crumbling and drug reps no longer can give perks (dang all those free pens and post it notes are gone ?)

My mother's bundt cake pan has some rust and it hasn't bothered any of us in 20 years (it's sentimental, I can't throw it out) 

I got a silicone jar opener at Walmart a long time ago and it's still in good shape. However, this is my favorite kitchen gadget. It opens jars, bottles and now that I am getting arthritis, it grips the champagne cork for a proper release!  https://www.crateandbarrel.com/multi-jar-opener/s434990?st=Multi Jar Opener&ta=jar opener&rac=p2

(edited)

@Mindthinkr, I was surprised that it got two low reviews on Crate and Barrel's site and I don't agree with them. The rest of the reviewers were as pleased as I was and I find it easy to use. And it has a little thingy to pull pop tops. I got one for my sister and she still raves about it. But like I mentioned earlier, we are just relieved that we can continue to open champagne bottles in our old age!

p.S. Click on the pics on the site to see all it does.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ariel said:

I caved in & ordered an Instant Pot. I should have it by the weekend.

I've just been reading about it on this thread. (First day here) Let me (us) know how it goes. Everything I've read tempts me too! 

1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

@Mindthinkr, I was surprised that it got two low reviews on Crate and Barrel's site and I don't agree with them. The rest of the reviewers were as pleased as I was and I find it easy to use. And it has a little thingy to pull pop tops. I got one for my sister and she still raves about it. But like I mentioned earlier, we are just relieved that we can continue to open champagne bottles in our old age!

Well I have no problem with getting a bottle of bubbly and testing it out! Heck, I move into my new house this weekend so I have that excuse. Lol...I've never needed a 'real' excuse for champagne! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Anyone know where I can get a rubberized circle that gives a good grip when opening jars

Mine gave up the ghost, but I found a pair of dishwashing gloves works too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Last nights dinner lol! 

Breakfast for supper is always good.

Looks like there are several other options available. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GG9UP4/ref=asc_df_B000GG9UP45009603/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000GG9UP4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194937169370&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12855912141690911780&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031627&hvtargid=pla-313584568750

I still like the Swing Away it will open everything from a bottle cap to a gallon jar lid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CNXBCO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496284743&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=swing+away+jar+opener&dpPl=1&dpID=41oV0NB4GuL&ref=plSrch

My gram used to just wipe the rust spots away with vinegar before using her pans.

Edited by Giselle
Wrong Autocorrect assumptions

I've just been reading about it on this thread. (First day here) Let me (us) know how it goes. Everything I've read tempts me too! 

Well I have no problem with getting a bottle of bubbly and testing it out! Heck, I move into my new house this weekend so I have that excuse. Lol...I've never needed a 'real' excuse for champagne! 

The instapot is one of two items I'm not drawn toward but people rave about it on egullet. Another one is the thermomix but people swear by them.

Who knows maybe if I see them in action up close and personal I might change my mind.

What I want to try is an immersion circulator.

1 hour ago, Giselle said:

Completely overrated for the home cook in my opinion. What do you want to use It for? I have been able to replicate most dishes with a great thermometer and a cheap induction burner both of which have multiple uses. 

I only have an instapot because Amazon screwed up my sisters order and told her to keep the extra one but it has quickly become a go to device. In the last week and a half I made yogurt, an oxtail stew, steel cut oats in under 5 minutes, and a cheesecake in the InstaPot. Rice and soft and hard boiled eggs also are on the regular rotation since I have got it. 

43 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Completely overrated for the home cook in my opinion. What do you want to use It for? I have been able to replicate most dishes with a great thermometer and a cheap induction burner both of which have multiple uses. 

I only have an instapot because Amazon screwed up my sisters order and told her to keep the extra one but it has quickly become a go to device. In the last week and a half I made yogurt, an oxtail stew, steel cut oats in under 5 minutes, and a cheesecake in the InstaPot. Rice and soft and hard boiled eggs also are on the regular rotation since I have got it. 

It is something I am just intrigued by.

What also prevents me from buying a instapot any time soon is that I already have a yogurt maker, 2 slow cookers, rice cooker, and pressure cooker that I love.

11 minutes ago, Giselle said:

It is something I am just intrigued by.

What also prevents me from buying a instapot any time soon is that I already have a yogurt maker, 2 slow cookers, rice cooker, and pressure cooker that I love.

Not sure where you live but a lot of cities have places you can rent out things like an immersion circulator, though they are falling less out of vogue so they might be harder to come by.

I have a stove top pressure cooker that I mostly use for canning and an electrix slow cooker a long with a gazillion Dutch ovens that I love and used to make rice on the stove top but for its price point I think it's a great option particularly if you live in an apartment like I do and don't want to store a five "gadgets" when one gets the job done as well or in some cases better (the IP pressure cooker function is so much easier than the stove top).

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Not sure where you live but a lot of cities have places you can rent out things like an immersion circulator, though they are falling less out of vogue so they might be harder to come by.

I have a stove top pressure cooker that I mostly use for canning and an electrix slow cooker a long with a gazillion Dutch ovens that I love and used to make rice on the stove top but for its price point I think it's a great option particularly if you live in an apartment like I do and don't want to store a five "gadgets" when one gets the job done as well or in some cases better (the IP pressure cooker function is so much easier than the stove top).

I'm near a major city so I could probably find someplace to rent one. My brother has a food saver I could borrow.

I will never part with my  uncle's sheep camp Dutch ovens nor my Grandmother's cast iron skillets and pots.  While nothing can beat a good long braise, a perfectly roasted chicken, or a ribeye cooked over coals or butter basted in a cast iron frypan, I am interested in learning the process.

I think  it's amazing that one can do so much in those appliances and I also understand their apppeal to those in smaller homes.

On egullet, a cooking forum, they rave about the instapot. In fact they had to start a fourth thread about them, the others go so long it was too much load for their servers. You should check them out. 

5 minutes ago, Giselle said:

egullet, a cooking forum, they rave about the instapot. In fact they had to start a fourth thread about them, the others go so long it was too much load for their servers. You should check them out. 

Despite my raves on this forum the cult of the IP freaks me the fuck out so I am good just coming up with ideas and occasionally googling for recipes! But thank you for the recommendation, I might use the search function on egullet to isolate certain recipes!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Giselle said:

The instapot is one of two items I'm not drawn toward but people rave about it on egullet. Another one is the thermomix but people swear by them.

Who knows maybe if I see them in action up close and personal I might change my mind.

I don't know what an immersion circulator is but I bought a immersion blender for making soups and creaming things. I'm in love! It totally saves me the step (and mess) of having to transfer into a blender to get it smoother. I made broccoli and cheese soup and it easily had it as smooth as I wanted within seconds. I make a lot of red beans and rice and it creams (only slightly as I do want some bite) them in short order too. The nice part is when I get the consistency I want I just release the button. It doesn't overdo. I bought one for my daughter that also has a whisk attachment. That will make meringue in a minute or whipped cream. In those instances it's easier than a hand held regular blender.  If we are talking about the same tool treat yourself to one as come winter it will make all your soups, mashed potatoes etc a breeze. 

Anyone know where I can get a rubberized circle that gives a good grip when opening jars?

That seems to be the kind of thing that's given away at trade shows and the like and never sold.  Have you tried using a really cheap-o mouse pad?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

That seems to be the kind of thing that's given away at trade shows and the like and never sold.  Have you tried using a really cheap-o mouse pad?

No, I'd never thought to use a mouse pad but actually I don't even own one! I remember when they were given out as perks for free and now I don't see them many places. I need one...now I'll make that two. I'm sure I can find cheap-o's on Amazon. Tried the Dollar store and Dollar Tree. They don't have them. 

Everyone has contributed such good ideas on my jar opening situation and I thank everyone. (Big smile) 

@forumfish  Those were exactly what I was looking for although I'm intreged by many of the other options that all of you kind people posted. I'll be going over there soon to outfit the new place with stuff that I need. I'll specifically look for them and if they don't have them I've always got your clickable link. (Hug) 

11 hours ago, forumfish said:

Re: jar opening -- I found these at Bed Bath & Beyond -- cheap, too!

I bought this set a couple of years ago.  It's great!  And, as pointed out, cheap!!