Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Tonight I made a shrimp "boil" except I did it on baking sheets in the oven. Shrimp, potatoes, Andouille Sausage and corn on the cob. I served that with a spinach/orzo salad and some crusty bread. Never made this before but I think it's a keeper. 

• Love 3

6 oz Salmon filet with lots of pinbones. Thanks, Whole Foods fish counter guy. I've never had this problem before but both filets were choking hazards! Maybe some trainee missed them, but I don't know how. 

Ordered Mexican tonight from a place we've never ordered from before.  I can't say it was all that great.  In fact, the only good thing about the restaurant is their wide array of guacamole (they have choices like pomegranate, jalapeno as well as "regular").  The rice was mushy and over-cooked and our tacos fell apart.   And who STILL uses styrofoam containers?  I'm not ordering from this place again. 

Couldn't be bothered to cook anything elaborate so went for something dead simple and rather sexy in the taste stakes.

Spiced scrambled eggs on toast, with chopped red chilli, chopped toms and chopped coriander leaves, with a splash of Worcester sauce.

• Love 2

Yesterday was the first time I cooked on my Kamado style grill - the Chargriller Akorn.  The coals are pretty far from the cooking grate when compared to the grills I've cooked on before and I am still working on controlling the temperature.

The resulting burgers were pretty darn good though, even with my beginner goofs.  Of course, burgers and my kids are pretty forgiving, but even I had to give them a better than average rating.

• Love 2

Last night was steak and asparagus. Tonight will be fresh pasta with peas. I also made a split pea soup with ham, carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes yesterday and took half of it over to my brother and SIL’s for their lunch. 

• Love 1

Am going to try something a little different for a Friday night, and surprise my partner with  Beef Ragu in a red-wine sauce. It will take a couple of hours to prepare and cook, but am in the mood for cooking Italian rather than Asian for a change. 

• chopped tomatoes
  •  red wine
  • rock salt & black pepper
  • clove garlic
  • fresh carrots
  • large onion
  • fresh rosemary
  • lean beef stewing steak
  • pappardelle
  • finely chopped parsley
  • Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

And then for dessert I'm going to try making Vanilla Panna Cotta

• Love 2

It's important to develop a good relationship with your fishmonger. When I went to Whole Foods to get crab cakes for our crab cake Friday, there was only one left. When I asked if it was the last one, she said - hold on, how many do you want? Two minutes later I had 2 crab cakes. Hurrah!

• Love 1

Clearing out the fridge--toast with sauce grabiche, home cured salmon, a runny egg, arugula, and pickled red onion and radish. Also some roasted brussel sprouts tossed with the last of my caramelized onion bourbon bacon jam.

• Love 3

Corned beef boiled dinner -- surprise!  No cabbage, just carrots and potatoes.  I know it's the Americanized St. Patrick's dinner and not authentic, but the half-Irish hub loves it, and who am I to deny him? The best part is turning the leftovers into hash. It's one of my favorite dishes of all time.

• Love 1

Have got some topside roast beef in the oven. It's been cooking for about an hour, with another 2 hours to go. So since it's Sunday, I have my parents round for a traditional British dinner of roast beef, spuds, roast spuds, mixed veg, Yorkshire pudding, English mustard and gravy 

Smells very good.....

• Love 3

Last night was supposed to be lamb chops, but by the time I finished my various projects around the house and plopped down with a drink to watch TV, I no longer felt like cooking, so I tried some more offerings from the new pizza place - instead of one of their specialties, this time I tested their take on my go-to basic pizza, which is olive oil, fresh mozzarella, Italian sausage, mushroom, and spinach on a thin wheat crust.  They continue to impress, so I am happy to have another great option nearby.

Tonight will be the lamb chops (seasoned with fresh rosemary and garlic and broiled), with roasted asparagus.  I picked up some arugula at the farmers market, so the ubiquitous mixed greens side salad will tonight consist of arugula, endive, and radicchio, with some shaved Parmigiano-reggiano and a lemon vinaigrette.  I'm sitting here finishing my Bloody Mary and haven't even made breakfast yet, and I'm already fantasizing about dinner.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

That reminds me - I haven't eaten today.  I get side tracked pretty easy.

Tonight will be spaghetti using the sauce I made last week.

I forgot to eat lunch today. At 2:00 I’m in my car thinking, why am I so hungry?

Too much on our minds, eh?

• Love 1

As part of my continued pantry and fridge clearing, brunch was a biscuit sandwich with mushroom parmesan biscuits made with truffle butter and porcini powder, caramelized onions, over easy eggs, and bottarga. To drink, was a cocktail of nonsense (applejack, chardonnay, mango shrub, and a couple of dashes of saffron extract) thrown into the DrinkMate and carbonated.

• Love 1

I was going to make cold sesame noodles but I made a big bowl of spicy sichuan smashed cucumber salad and ended up eating the whole thing washing it down with the rest of the sparkling rosé and now I am full!

• Love 2

Have got some home-made Chili Con Carne in the cooking pot. It's been simmering for about an hour, and want to give it another hour to really get those flavours bubbling:

• low fat lean minced beef
  • chopped medium onions, 
  • crushed garlic cloves
  • hot chilli powder
  • ground cumin
  • ground coriander
  • plain flour
  • red wine
  • beef stock
  • chopped toms
  • drained red kidney beans
  • tomato puree
  • caster sugar
  • dried oregano
  • bay leaf
  • flaked sea salt
  • black pepper
  • pilau rice
  • freshly baked petit pain 
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was going to make cold sesame noodles but I made a big bowl of spicy sichuan smashed cucumber salad and ended up eating the whole thing washing it down with the rest of the sparkling rosé and now I am full!

I think I’ve read you talking about those cold sesame noodles before. Do you have a recipe that you prefer? 

13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think I’ve read you talking about those cold sesame noodles before. Do you have a recipe that you prefer? 

This version in the NY Times is the closest. You can substitue spaghetti or I often use soba noodles for the Chinese noodles and you can substiute tahini for the Chinese sesame paste though Chinese seasame paste is more intense ao I add a splash of toasted seasame oil to the tahini if that is all I have on hand. And i also add a few scallions sliced on the bias. 

I guess I have the general idea. That link wouldn’t show unless I signed up but I thank you for posting it. I love sesame and already have the dark oil but will go that direction (paste) instead of tahini for the punch of flavor that you suggested. You have me craving this now. 

Tonight is grilled pork chops, Dutch baby potatoes and fennel. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I guess I have the general idea. That link wouldn’t show unless I signed up but I thank you for posting it. I love sesame and already have the dark oil but will go that direction (paste) instead of tahini for the punch of flavor that you suggested. You have me craving this now. 

Tonight is grilled pork chops, Dutch baby potatoes and fennel. 

Here you go:

INGREDIENTS

1 pound Chinese egg noodles (1/8-inch-thick), frozen or (preferably) fresh, available in Asian markets

2 tablespoons sesame oil, plus a splash

3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar

2 tablespoons Chinese sesame paste

1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon finely grated ginger

2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 teaspoons chili-garlic paste, or to taste

Half a cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch by 1/8-inch by 2-inch sticks

1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts

INSTRUCTIONS

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until barely tender, about 5 minutes; they should retain a hint of chewiness. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and toss with a splash of sesame oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil, the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame paste, peanut butter, sugar, ginger, garlic and chili-garlic paste.

Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with cucumber and peanuts.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2018 at 4:44 PM, DeLurker said:

* I kind of ended up with a Frankenrecipe as I am wont to do.

I'm presuming a Frankenrecipe is similar to "cooking for an army"?  I cook for an army so well - especially when it comes to stuff like macaroni!

Supper tonight:  grilled portobello mushrooms (w/ sauted onions and some mild banana pepper rings) on rolls with aioli, and a tossed salad (one of our favorite suppers).  If we get a lot of snow and frigid temps tomorrow (sheesh) I think I'll make corn chowder.  Good thing I like winter.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:
On 3/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, DeLurker said:

o.

I'm presuming a Frankenrecipe is similar to "cooking for an army"?  I cook for an army so well -

Frankenrecipes are taking parts of several different recipes and piecing them together to make a dish like how Dr. Frankenstein made his monster.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow.  Never heard of that.

Its how I cook 90% of the dishes I cook, I look up a few recipes to find what they have and common and use that as the base and then based on my likes or dislikes and what I have on hand and either pick and choose from them or venture off on my own. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

... That [NY Times] link wouldn’t show unless I signed up .... 

When that happens, the link usually does show the title of the article & you can look for that with your search engine -- if another publication has reprinted the NY Times article, you may be able to read it at that other site. 

The title of this article is "Takeout-Style Sesame Noodles" & my search engine shows that title on a NY Times article by Sam Sifton that was reprinted in the Tri-City Herald of Kennewick, WA.  That paper's website is free & doesn't require you to sign up, so you can read the article there & copy it.

That does sound very good & I'm going to try it.  Thanks, biakbiak (& Sam Sifton, NY Times, & Tri-City Herald)!

• Love 3