Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Ohhh...pizza (yum!)  I just sat down for a break after preparing Potato Gratin, Spicy Papaya Salad, and a ham steak.  The gratin and ham steak are in the oven.  It's just the two of us.  It will be very good but, ohhhh...pizza :>)

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, harrie said:

In an effort to stay on topic, tonight's dinner is (parts of) the usual Polish Easter breakfast:  kielbasa, pierogies, and something sweet -- in this case, a nut roll.  Horseradish on the side, of course, can't forget that. 

YUM  (btw, The mod note says discussion doesn't have to be " limited to dinner"  and posters can "share meal ideas, leftovers, what not to do with leftovers, etc" so you're on topic.)  We're having burgers  (I'm going to try and mimic the green chili burger from Jack Allen's in Austin -- I will likely fail, but I will try!) 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

I made deviled eggs, ham, mashed potato casserole, and a creamy three pea side dish. I also baked Amish potato rolls (so soft and fluffy) and a lemon bundt cake. It was just me, Mr Gunderson, and the kitties Gunderson. So, leftovers and some stuff will be frozen. I might take the cake to work. 

• Love 3

I had a thick boneless chicken breast, so I stuffed it with some broccoli, onion, and garlic I'd sauteed until the broccoli was tender but still had some crispness and coated it with a little bit of bread crumb/Parmigiano-reggiano mixture.  Extra broccoli, roasted, as the side and I'm munching on my salad as I wait for everything to bake.  The chicken will yield two servings, so I can have the leftovers for lunch Friday.

• Love 2

48 hour sous vide short ribs with a red wine glaze, polenta and an arugula salad. Delicious. 

I also xold brewedd coffee at the same time as cooking the short ribs because they were done at the same temp. Quite tasty, it will be handy fpr our next heatwave since it only takes two hours instead of overnight. 

I have bits and bobs of leftover meat so making a taco bar with shortribs, roast chicken and ground beef and people can make their own with all the fixings and rice and black beans on the side.

• Love 3

Tonight will be spinach risotto. It’s national fondue day and I wanted to make that but after a disagreement about a dry white wine vs using only Kirsch (I’m allergic to cherries) we dropped the idea. I’ll make a small one for myself this weekend for lunch. 

• Love 1

Roast chicken done crispy on the rotisserie, mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, herb dressing, green beans w/lemon and garlic, fresh sugared strawberries.  Homemade cherry pie (Mom's recipe) for dessert w/wo ice cream.  We haven't eaten well since March 21 with my triple-fractured arm and shoulder, so we're both famished for a good meal!

P.S.  LOVE this topic for the great ideas that everyone contributes!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

Last night was Tandoori chicken-very tender and grilled with lentils and beans with Masala spicing and rice. Today was the opera (We went out for lunch beforehand) it lasted for 4 hours and we ate tangerines at the two intermissions so we just did a charcuterie. It was just enough but not too much. 

• Love 1

Broccoli and italian sausage pizza, I used the Bon Appetite method for cast iron skillet pizza where you heat up the pan for as long as possible, i did an hour on a 500 degree oven and than quickly sauce and put ingredients on the pizza and bake some more. Great fabulous crust and much easier to transfer to and from the oven, so I will definitely do it when making pizza just for two. My cast iron pan is only 12 inches so a little small for pizza for a crowd.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Homemade veggie soup for a starter (We couldn't wait to sample some), then leftover prime rib roast I had frozen, whipped potatoes au jus, roasted asparagus with only butter and salt, mixed fruit cup and cherry pie. 

[Canned sour cherries are priced almost out of sight these days.  If you like them for pies and see them on sale, buy several.  They're also hard to find where I live.  Most at the markets where I shop are from Oregon and are very good.]

• Love 1

We had a big charity banquet to attend this noon, so supper was light -- potato soup, half a chicken salad sandwich, crudités and fresh strawberries.  I had made oatmeal cookies for dessert.  Easy and just what we felt like eating.

I have a chicken roasting, as I'm going to need a lot of leftovers this week and that's the perfect source, so I'm munching on a mixed-greens salad right now and will pop in some asparagus to roast once the chicken comes out to rest.

I have some fresh tarragon, so one lunch this week will definitely be chicken salad sandwich.

• Love 2

Egg drop soup, orange chicken, pork won tons from leftover roast, Spring rolls, asparagus with water chestnuts and bamboo shoots (mostly Ken Hom recipes) and bakery fortune cookies.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Fire-grilled ribeyes with bleu cheese sauce, potato salad, sweet corn, fresh asparagus, fresh ginger-marinated pineapple salad.  Having four guests, plus husband, of course, for a birthday dinner with my fractured arm/shoulder in a brace -- the ultimate effort I can expend at this point.  One friend is bringing a "mystery dessert," bless her. 

I am wildly crazy about Ina's "French" Potato Salad and find it almost addictive after all of the mayo-based dressings.  Am true Irish and may have a need for potato starch in my bloodstream.  Is anyone else here a potato lover?

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4

Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary. A family owned small grocery store chain is having $1 off their jumbo lump crab cakes every Friday in April. So - crab cakes, steak fries, and cole slaw. Can't decide between Prosecco or Chardonnay to wash it down.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary. A family owned small grocery store chain is having $1 off their jumbo lump crab cakes every Friday in April. So - crab cakes, steak fries, and cole slaw. Can't decide between Prosecco or Chardonnay to wash it down.

Congrats! What a perfect anniversary meal! ❤️

• Love 1

Congratulations, Spunkygal, on your 22nd anniversary!  Crab cakes sound like just the thing for a celebration dinner!  YUM!  Wishing you many more happy years together.

We're having lasagna with sauce, meatballs, tossed salad and sourdough rolls.  No dessert tonight.

Edited by Lura
6 hours ago, Lura said:

Congratulations, Spunkygal, on your 22nd anniversary!  Crab cakes sound like just the thing for a celebration dinner!  YUM!  Wishing you many more happy years together.

We're having lasagna with sauce, meatballs, tossed salad and sourdough rolls.  No dessert tonight.

I think you meant congrats to @chessiegal on her anniversary. I was just sending congrats her way, too! But we are both "gals!" so it's easy to mix us up! And your dinner sounded delish, too, @LURA!

Edited by Spunkygal

A WW chicken stir-fry recipe. Marinate the chicken with Asian flavors, stir fry with asparagus and green onions. Serve over P.F. Chang's brown stir fried rice and top with soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds. It's a go to recipe in regular rotation.

• Love 2

I've been dithering a bit on what to make for dinner, and I may change my mind yet again by the time I go to cook, but I think I'm going to make baked salmon (with a dill and garlic sauce), roasted asparagus, and a bitter greens salad with lemon vinaigrette (I already have the vinaigrette made, and lots of bitter greens, so that will definitely be the side salad - the rest may be subject to change).

• Love 2

Grilled pork tenderloin (marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, Greek and Turkish seasoning, heh heh); potato salad, and steamed asparagus with a sort-a homemade Russian dressing (you know that old favorite...mayo, ketchup, a little cayenne, chili sauce and lemon juice).  Maybe decent grilling weather has finally arrived (fingers crossed).

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I smoked some yesterday, so pulled pork on a roll tonight with potato salad and something green. 

I never tire of pulled pork. Here in the south it’s a staple served with coleslaw on top (in the roll). Leftovers are good in an egg roll wrapper and mixed with some greens and then deep fried. 

• Love 2

I don't really feel like cooking much today, so I bought sides from the grocery store and will be roasting some arctic char (just a bit of pepper, garlic and maybe dried basil and oregano plus lemon juice (or balsamic)).