Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

On 2/24/2018 at 6:35 AM, Zola said:

Just out of interest, and this may sound like a dumb question. but do Americans still give thanks before a meal?

There's no one or distinctly American tradition for that, but most people would toast on an occasion like this - gathering to dine with friends you don't often see.  Typically, you as the host would do it (after the drinks are poured and before you start the meal), but at a casual gathering like this it could also be a guest, toasting you for your efforts.  It's a simple, straightforward thing - say a few words about how happy you are to be together, clink glasses, drink, and dig in.

My friend's mom is Christian, and she says a prayer before meals, but only those she's hosting in her house - she doesn't do that at a restaurant or when she comes to my house, or anything like that.  In more religious areas of the country, this "saying grace" tradition would be more common, as noted, but I still wouldn't think it would be anything your guests would expect of you even if that was their thing.

I hope you're having a nice time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Made pork empanadas with a ton of peppers, serranos, and spices, didn't want to go to the store to get lard so used some turkey schmaltz I had in the freezer, also made a black bean amd jicama salad and guacamole.

I made chocolate chip cookies so making Ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

There's no one or distinctly American tradition for that, but most people would toast on an occasion like this - gathering to dine with friends you don't often see.  Typically, you as the host would do it (after the drinks are poured and before you start the meal), but at a casual gathering like this it could also be a guest, toasting you for your efforts.  It's a simple, straightforward thing - say a few words about how happy you are to be together, clink glasses, drink, and dig in.

My friend's mom is Christian, and she says a prayer before meals, but only those she's hosting in her house - she doesn't do that at a restaurant or when she comes to my house, or anything like that.  In more religious areas of the country, this "saying grace" tradition would be more common, as noted, but I still wouldn't think it would be anything your guests would expect of you.

I hope you're having a nice time.

It was a very good evening last night. My tacos were all eaten, along with most of the toppings. And the dessert of Apple Pie Ice Cream Pie, was also gratefully consumed in rather large quantities! And I don't think there's been any ill-effects as we're all now eating some breakfast cereals and coffee.

I did make a toast (albeit one I stole and memorised from the internet). A little bit corny perhaps, but I felt I needed to do something :)

I wish you health, I wish you wealth, and happiness galore.
I wish you luck for you my friends; what could I wish you more?
May your joys run deep as the oceans, your troubles as light as its foam.
And may you find, sweet peace of mind, where ever you may roam.

To friends!

• Love 9
On 2/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Update: The potato crust on the quiche was out of this world. I did reheat it somewhat with a TBS of milk before adding a beaten egg, then putting it into the pie plate and shaping it with a spatula. I filled it with shredded Swiss, Gruyere and Jarlsburg cheeses with some small ham bits. Liquid was the usual eggs, half and half, and a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg. I would definitely recommend trying this. Unusual but tasty. 

Edited to add spray the pie plate for easy removal. 

To quote the great Liz Lemon, “I would like to go to there.” Mmmmmmm...ham... cheese... potatoes.

I’m making cassoulet. The cats are very interested in the selection of meat (chicken, salt pork, garlic sausages). I hope it’s good because I will be eating it for lunch for the rest of the week.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, harrie said:

Sounds like a great success, @Zola.  So glad you all had a good time. 

Thanks. 

Am now cooking the pot roast with roasted veg and spuds. My guests are hovering over my shoulder wondering when it will be ready.

No pressure, lol

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zola said:

Am now cooking the pot roast with roasted veg and spuds. My guests are hovering over my shoulder wondering when it will be ready.

I am the one American who hates that meal (I would literally rather skip dinner than eat it; I hate every element of it), but pretty much the rest of the country loves it.  (It's my mom's favorite meal in the entire world of cuisine, so clearly there was a baby mix-up at the hospital.)  Your guests are going to be so happy you made that for them -- it's nice to get a home-cooked meal while traveling, and to have someone make you comfort food from back home?  You're giving them a very nice weekend!

• Love 3

Well the Pot Roast went down a treat, much to my relief! And the leftovers I will turn into soups or steak bakes for tomorrow when my two friends continue their journey into deepest, darkest Cornwall. 

The chocolate chip cookies were okay, although I think they were a little too crunchy for my liking. But the S'mores were a success. And I shall make a point of making some more for my own consumption next weekend. 

Tomorrow I shall be serving them a Full English breakfast by their request.  I will have probably put on a couple of pounds by the time they leave, lol

• Love 6

Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, with leftover salad from a potluck last night

Tomorrow I shall be serving them a Full English breakfast by their request.  I will have probably put on a couple of pounds by the time they leave, lol

Sounds delicious @Zola, lucky guests! 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m jealous because at that breakfast they’ll be getting the back bacon unlike the striped kind served here in America. 

I'm mostly the opposite.  I love pork chops, and I do like back bacon when I'm in the UK/Ireland, but when I get home, my first breakfast contains the big ol' slab of fat that is side bacon (and egg whites fried in a little bit of that bacon fat).  And, holy pig, I hate the "Canadian bacon" sold in the U.S.

• Love 3

I had a hellish day so didnt feel like cooking or even ordering in, so made my favorite after school snack from my childhood: spread mustard on a piece of ham, put a piece of sharp cheddar and a dill pickle in the middle roll it up and enjoy, no need for bread! 

I then baked some of the cookie dough I froze a few days ago and made ice cream sandwiches. Not a bad way to end the day.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Zola I’m jealous because at that breakfast they’ll be getting the back bacon unlike the striped kind served here in America. 

Well we've just eaten our Full English brekkie, and we're all officially full!

We had unsmoked back bacon, scrambled and poached eggs, hash browns, sausages, baked beans, tomatoes, black pudding, toast; orange juice, apple juice, tea and coffee!

I don't dare get on the scales!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Zola said:

Well we've just eaten our Full English brekkie, and we're all officially full!

We had unsmoked back bacon, scrambled and poached eggs, hash browns, sausages, baked beans, tomatoes, black pudding, toast; orange juice, apple juice, tea and coffee!

I don't dare get on the scales!

Were they the Heinz beans? I love beans on toast. Hmm I have a can in the pantry. I might just go have that. Lol...you’ve made me hungry. 

Your breakfast sounded delicious. How lucky these people are to have a wonderful hostess, treats for meals and you’re caring to make their stay with you as good as possible. Very lucky. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Were they the Heinz beans? I love beans on toast. Hmm I have a can in the pantry. I might just go have that. Lol...you’ve made me hungry. 

Your breakfast sounded delicious. How lucky these people are to have a wonderful hostess, treats for meals and you’re caring to make their stay with you as good as possible. Very lucky. 

Yes, they were Heinz baked beans - absolutely delicious with toast.

My two friends have now continued on with their journey of the UK, and will be returning to the US next Monday I think. However, I will see them again when I visit the States for 5 weeks in October - so I have asked them to cook me some traditional British recipes -  Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner, toad-in-the-hole and Coronation Chicken! And I wonder if there are any fish & chip shops in Hartford, Connecticut?

Edited by Zola
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm mostly the opposite.  I love pork chops, and I do like back bacon when I'm in the UK/Ireland, but when I get home, my first breakfast contains the big ol' slab of fat that is side bacon (and egg whites fried in a little bit of that bacon fat).  And, holy pig, I hate the "Canadian bacon" sold in the U.S.

There is a neat place called Oscar's Smokehouse in upstate New York that my dad discovered when he was working for FEMA after a some serious ice storms many years ago. You just reminded me that I'm in need of several different kinds of bacon at the moment and should be putting in an order.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Zola said:

My two friends have now continued on with their journey of the UK, and will be returning to the US next Monday I think. However, I will see them again when I visit the States for 5 weeks in October - so I have asked them to cook me some traditional British recipes -  Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner, toad-in-the-hole and Coronation Chicken! And I wonder if there are any fish & chip shops in Hartford, Connecticut?

There are fish & chips places in/near Hartford (I Googled). I just don't know how authentic any of them are.

23 hours ago, Zola said:

I've heard of two places in particular that serve fish and chips around Hartford but haven't been to either one.  The Corner Pug is a pub in West Hartford that features a lot of English pub-type dishes (or what we Americans think of as English pub food, anyway).  There's also City Fish Market in Wethersfield, about ten minutes south of Hartford, who claim to serve the best fish and chips in the state.  FYI - most places here serve fish and chips with tartar sauce, not vinegar.  One of these days I may be able to talk the hub into a road trip to City Fish. If that happens, I will definitely report back.  I think some other people from the area post here, and they may have better ideas/information to share.

My MIL's toad-in-the-hole is a piece of toast with a hole made in the middle; the toast goes into a pan/onto a griddle and in that hole, you cook an egg. Is your toad-in-the-hole the same thing or something different? I'm guessing it's different.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, harrie said:

I've heard of two places in particular that serve fish and chips around Hartford but haven't been to either one.  The Corner Pug is a pub in West Hartford that features a lot of English pub-type dishes (or what we Americans think of as English pub food, anyway).  There's also City Fish Market in Wethersfield, about ten minutes south of Hartford, who claim to serve the best fish and chips in the state.  FYI - most places here serve fish and chips with tartar sauce, not vinegar.  One of these days I may be able to talk the hub into a road trip to City Fish. If that happens, I will definitely report back.  I think some other people from the area post here, and they may have better ideas/information to share.

My MIL's toad-in-the-hole is a piece of toast with a hole made in the middle; the toast goes into a pan/onto a griddle and in that hole, you cook an egg. Is your toad-in-the-hole the same thing or something different? I'm guessing it's different.

Thanks for the fish & chip feedback. It would be nice if such an authentic place did exist over in the US, but it wouldn't quite the end of the world if there wasn't. And tartar sauce is quite popular here too, but I prefer malt vinegar and a small pinch of salt.

As for toad-in-the-hole. Well I think the UK version differs quite a lot compared to your MiLs. Over here we use pork sausages baked in batter (plain flour, eggs and milk), and then eaten with gravy, spuds and veg. Gorgeous!!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1572643/sams-toad-in-the-hole

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Zola said:

It would be nice if such an authentic place did exist over in the US,

Oh, they do; there are two in my area alone, both owned and run by British immigrants.  But I'm nowhere near Hartford, so I can't help you there.  Your hosts will likely know whether any of the local options are authentic.

• Love 2

I just got home from chasing fried chicken for dinner, but came home chicken-less (kind of).  I stayed late at work, so by the time I went in search of chicken, all of the local store delis were out.  I tried two stores (Winn Dixie and Wal Mart), and ended up getting a frozen chicken pot pie at Wal Mart (which I don't really want tonight, so it went into the freezer).  I'm going to have a couple of corn dogs with mustard (which is about as far away from fried chicken as you can get!).  I usually just get some chicken at Church's when I want a box of chicken that will last me several days, but I wasn't in the mood to drive a distance to the closest one.  Oh, well, some other time.  I'll console myself with a cream horn from the bakery for dessert.  I like those. 

• Love 1

That sounds pretty good.  I remember when I would stay with my aunt when I just a child she would sometimes fix me a bean sandwich, which was pork and beans in a hot dog bun.  I remember thinking that those were pretty tasty.  As an adult, I realized that she was probably on a very limited budget and didn't have a lot to spend on food.  She could make a little go a long way and taste good, too.  I also remember her making 'hoecake' (probably like Johnnycake), which was baked in an iron skillet and was kind of like cornbread, only made with white flour.  More like a big giant biscuit, I guess.  We would eat hunks of it with syrup (most likely pancake syrup, not maple) poured over the top.  

• Love 2

I had a great turkey burger on a ciabatta roll at a local bistro for lunch with some of their homemade chips. I've got my carrot cake waiting for me at home tonight. I'm thinking that dinner will be a bowl of lettuce. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I bought frozen chicken quesadillas a while back and decided to heat them up tonight (before they expire).  I served it with salad and some guacamole and pico de gallo.   A lazy day today due to being so busy! 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I had a great turkey burger on a ciabatta roll at a local bistro for lunch with some of their homemade chips. I've got my carrot cake waiting for me at home tonight. I'm thinking that dinner will be a bowl of lettuce. 

A bowl of lettuce does not make a good birthday dinner! I hope that you had something more substantial. Oh, you could have just said carrot cake and I would have been ok with that tee hee. Happy Birthday 

• Love 3

The original plan was for me to make yakisoba.  I went to the Asian market earlier and got the proper noodles.  Sadly, I failed to remember to put them in the fridge, so they are still frozen solid.  I'll make the yakisoba tomorrow, but had to come up with Plan B for tonight.  Potstickers for my daughter and I and my son is having some leftover rice pilaf and steak smatterings he's putting into a sandwich.

Regarding S’mores - If Golden Grahams (made by General Mills) cereal is available in your area, you can make a very tasty no-bake s’mores bar cookie.  Made in the manner of rice crispie treats - melt butter, chocolate chips, marshmallows,etc., pour over cereal and more marshmallows. Dump in 9x13 pan, cool, cut and devour.  No campfire needed.  

P.S. Martha Stewart always pronounces them “some mores” and it drives me nuts.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Regarding S’mores - If Golden Grahams (made by General Mills) cereal is available in your area, you can make a very tasty no-bake s’mores bar cookie.  Made in the manner of rice crispie treats - melt butter, chocolate chips, marshmallows,etc., pour over cereal and more marshmallows. Dump in 9x13 pan, cool, cut and devour.  No campfire needed.  

P.S. Martha Stewart always pronounces them “some mores” and it drives me nuts.

Same here.  Why the HECK would she do that?  Then again, her parents were immigrants.  My immigrant parents did not know what s'mores were either.  I don't think I had s'mores for the first time until I was fairly "old"  (almost middle school, maybe?)!  And I went to Brownies (how does one go through Brownies without eating s'mores?  I never went to Brownie camp, that's how!)!  

Re "back bacon":  Are Canadians the only ones who call it "peameal?"  I RARELY see "back bacon" on menus here.

Dinner last night:  leftovers - turkey and salsa in my Instant Pot last week (it's more or less pulled turkey) - enough for three meals.  We froze two of them and thawed one of the frozen meals to eat last night.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Re "back bacon":  Are Canadians the only ones who call it "peameal?"  I RARELY see "back bacon" on menus here.

Yeah, I think we're the only ones who use the peameal term, but it's also a specific way of curing back bacon that Canadians tend to do. Not everyone cures their back bacon and their rolls it in cornmeal. I see back bacon on some menus in Canada, but it is rare. However, it's sold more often as back bacon in groceries and butchers.

• Love 1

Our original dinner plans were cancelled* so had to come up with a Plan B.

Plan B consisted of going out to the Corner Bakery which I have discovered is mostly empty at dinner time, despite being mad busy at breakfast and lunch.  A cup of baked potato soup & a 1/2 California Club Sandwich (club + avocado) for me and the kids opted for breakfast for dinner.

Before we left the kids went up to order some baked goods to go - a cinnamon raisin bagel for my daughter and a monster cookie (M & M cookie) for my son.  The young guy working behind the counter gave it to them free and threw in the rest of the cinnamon raisin bagels in the display.  I'm assuming they would need to be tossed at the end of the day anyway and he thought my daughter was cute (she is).

* Plan A was going over to my brother's for dinner.  I opted out after finding out my SIL took a spill and broke her elbow late yesterday morning.  They were at the ER for probably 7 hours - I'm guessing a broken elbow is a bit more complicated.  It is going to be tough on my SIL - she's not hyper, but she is keeps herself constantly busy.   No driving either for the next few weeks so my brother will be playing Jeeves.

• Love 5

Took my sister out for her birthday at an Afghan restaurant in Baltimore.  We had appetizers that included pumpkin and lamb and beef, but I couldn't tell you the names of the dishes.  For an entree I had the Shalgham Challow - sweet and spicy slow cooked lamb with fresh turnips in ginger sauce served over rice with a side dish of spinach.  It was fabulous!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Smoked salmon omelette with creme fraiche. 

I like the sound of that! Never had a salmon omelette before, so will add that to my list of new things to try for 2018. Thanks!

Later tonight I am wining and dining out in a Thai restaurant, so will probably go with something a little different like "kang keow warn talay" (green thai mixed seafood curry with coconut milk)

(edited)

A new pizza place opened up nearby; I already have two great options (and several "good if those disappeared" options) via Italian restaurants in the neighborhood, but an embarrassment of riches in ordering pizza delivery is a good thing. 

There are several things about the menu that inspire confidence - the dough is made in-house, whole wheat is available, the mozzarella is fresh and there are several other cheese options, there are a plethora of topping options (including my major requirements of artichoke hearts and fresh spinach), several non-tomato options for the sauce are offered, and they have a personal size option rather than needing to order a medium or larger pizza - and a couple of things that give me pause, like putting (beef) meatballs (instead of chorizo) on the "Mexican" specialty pizza, and listing the margherita pizza as "margarita" - but I'm going in as I don't want to cook tonight and I'm curious to try this place.

I like to test out a new place with a specialty pizza and recommended appetizers, and then, if good, customize in the future.  So, on the way are chicken wings (garlic basil style), onion rings (restaurants that can not only make but transport good onions rings are held in high esteem!), and a thin crust wheat pizza with white sauce, fresh mozzarella, grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, fresh mixed greens, and avocado.  They're a bit more expensive than my two favorite options, and don't have fried calamari (my favorite appetizer with pizza), but they're incredibly close and have good hours (until 11:00 p.m. during the week and 1:00 a.m. weekends), so if the food is good this will be a nice addition.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

I made soup out of a couple of cans of "field peas with snaps," a can of diced tomatoes, diced onion, crumbled bacon, and a container of "pea juice" I had put in the freezer from New Year's blackeyes. I made a pan of cornbread to go with it, and it turned out better than I expected.

Did you have a jar of pickled onions and cucumbers to go with it?

I just polished off last night's leftover pizza for lunch.  The new restaurant is excellent; even better crust than my two favorites, and the specialty pizza I tried was a nice combination of ingredients (and the ingredients seemed to be of good quality), so they know their stuff.  Their onion rings I wouldn't order again, which is a shame, because I love onion rings but hate making them (too much time and mess for a snack), but the chicken wings were great. 

My SIL is away so I’m going to cook for my brother. Due to the fact that our Mom was such a lackluster cook, he considers my cooking to be the taste of home (I began all the cooking duties in the household at age 12). I’ve made roasted butternut squash soup already so all I have to do is reheat. Salad. I’ll make a spaghetti from Guanciale, onion and tomatoes with a bit of perperonchini for heat and taste. I got the good pasta (Cipriani tagliolini from Venice...expensive but worth it). His wife tries to curb his ice cream habit (especially when he’s watching ice hockey) so I’ve declined to make him a desert. There’s a game on tonight. 

3 hours ago, Zola said:

Home-made chicken korma curry, pilau rice, poppadom and some mango chutney sauce.  And a glass or two of white wine.

Zola, would you share your korma recipe?  I love it but haven’t found a good recipe.

My dinner is stir-fried steak and vegetables with garlic teriyaki sauce and ramen noodles. That cleaned out the sauce and noodles from my pantry and it was tasty, so win-win.

5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Zola, would you share your korma recipe?  I love it but haven’t found a good recipe.

My dinner is stir-fried steak and vegetables with garlic teriyaki sauce and ramen noodles. That cleaned out the sauce and noodles from my pantry and it was tasty, so win-win.

I have 2 or 3 different Korma recipes, depending on the occasion. But the BBC link below is the one I use most because its quick, easy and not overly spicy (although I do sometimes like to add a pinch of Tandoori curry powder, and/or garam masala just to hot things up ever-so-slightly). I might also add a tablespoon of coconut milk, which really brings out the flavour (but this will add to the calories if you're trying to diet)

Good luck!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1897680/light-chicken-korma

• Love 1