Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

BBQ chicken thighs, corn salad, potato salad, baked beans and strawberry pie.

I'm so envious of these kind of posts.   I would literally only be able to eat the BBQ chicken thighs with, say, broccoli or some other non starchy vegetable to not gain weight.   If I ate this menu,  I'd gain 5 lbs!

We arrived in Munich this afternoon. This may seem strange, but we ate Italian. I had pappardelle with shrimp and zucchini, my husband had pasta carbonara. We'll probably look for something more traditionally German tomorrow.

• Love 2

We ended up going back to the Italian restaurant for dinner because my husband wanted a Caesar salad. We did eat at a German place for lunch. My husband had grilled sausages and potato salad. I had a sampler platter of various hams and cheeses. It came with this white shredded stuff I presumed to be a cabbage slaw. I put a little forkful into my mouth and quickly realized it was shredded fresh horseradish! Boy howdy, couldn't spit it out fast enough without experiencing some serious pain. Too funny.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Boy howdy, couldn't spit it out fast enough without experiencing some serious pain. Too funny.

Once when eating some poke that I had ordered with avocado, I grabbed a huge piece of avocado with my chopsticks only to discover it was actually a large ball of wasabi once it was in my mouth!

Tonight I am making a Cesar with Alton Browns classic dresssing, salmon with a mustard dill sauce and couscous with garlic chives.

Edited by biakbiak

Dave Lieberman's meatloaf, whipped potatoes, and green peas.  And Ghiradelli brownies w/ caramel for dessert (they are delicious! esp w/ a little vanilla extract in them).

In Paris, my favorite restaurant was a small Italian place.  Had The Best seafood marinara in my life at that little place. I think it was called La Romantica.  On a cruise, I ordered prime ribs. The waiter asked if I wanted some horseradish sauce and thinking it was like the stuff I make at home (a little horseradish in sour cream), I said "sure". Plopped a good size dollop on my prime rib and holy cow!  Everyone said my face turned beet red.  Adventures in dining.

You all are making me want horseradish (not mixed with anything; I do like horseradish mayo on a sandwich occasionally, but to go with prime rib or beef tenderloin, my horseradish "sauce" is just grated horseradish root).

Alas, I have some chicken panang I need to eat tonight as the last serving has been in the fridge awhile and I don't want to wind up wasting it.

Been too busy to eat properly for almost a week.  I ordered a salad that I love and inhaled it all.  It usually lasts me 3 meals - not this time.

Followed it up with some fresh strawberries & cherries.

Baked eggs with onions, tomatoes and greens (as well as a bit of goat cheddar and buffalo mozzarella) last night (i.e. crustless quiche - four egg whites, two whole eggs between two people).  Tonight?  Boring ol' chicken and quinoa with broccoli and asparagus. 

Finally had my first wiener schnitzel - it came with cranberry compote and a squeeze of lemon, and fried potatoes and onion. My husband had sausage with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. I'm mostly German on both parents side - I know why I grew up with meat and potatoes (they were from central PA).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, forumfish said:

Grilled sausage and zucchini, mashed potatoes, and half a large cheese bagel. And possibly a couple of ants* that apparently hitched a ride on the paper plate that I placed the bagel on to defrost it in the microwave. I think I got them all before eating, but if not … extra protein, right?

* At least they weren't fire ants. When I was in marching band in high school, I got stung on my tongue by a fire ant that had crawled inside the mouthpiece of my clarinet during a break while we were practicing in the band hall. My high school sat on a big ol' fire ant colony -- the ants would even crawl up to the third floor.

Yes, protein. I was surprised when a family member and his friend were on leave from military training about a comment they nonchalantly made. I saw a grasshopper and innocently pointed it out to them. Their comments were to the effect that it consisted of 30g of protein and they thought about eating it. I squashed their idea. A creatures life was spared.

Truth be told I have tasted grasshoppers. As a child I visited the home of a very adventurous couple who traveled the world. They had brought home some chocolate covered ones. Despite the initial ew factor they convinced my friend and I to try them. Very crunchy and bits got stuck in my teeth. It can be interesting what different cultures eat. 

Ooh...I feel for you about your fire ant experience. Ouch. 

7 hours ago, forumfish said:

* At least they weren't fire ants. When I was in marching band in high school, I got stung on my tongue by a fire ant that had crawled inside the mouthpiece of my clarinet during a break while we were practicing in the band hall. My high school sat on a big ol' fire ant colony -- the ants would even crawl up to the third floor.

YIKES!  That is straight out of a horror movie!  Unless it gave you super powers and now you can breathe fire or give extremely painful touches...that might be kinda cool.

We arrived in Vienna after lunch. After waiting for thunderstorms to pass, we took the subway into the heart of the city and had dinner at a very nice restaurant. I had lemon risotto with prawns, and my husband had a spinach salad and tomato soup. Bread came with an olive pate. I hate olives (they taste like soap to me), so my husband ate all of it on homemade rolls.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2018 at 11:08 PM, biakbiak said:

Smitten Kitchens faux Shake Shack burger and her oven fries.

Your post made me crave them, so that’s what I made for lunch (except I used Alexa frozen fries). I doubt there will be any dinner - maybe just some carrot sticks!

We had a pre-concert dinner at Schonbrunn Palace. I was somewhat disappointed in that it was a fixed menu with no choices - beef consume with semolina dumpling, beef pot roast with potato cake and tomatoes, and apple strudel with whipped cream for dessert. It was good, but not great.

On a completely shallow note, there was a woman sitting with her back to me at another table.. She was of large girth, and when she leaned over her top pulled up from her pants with a clear shot of her butt crack. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Can't say I've ever seen that before.

I'm surprised by that; with the popularity of low-rise jeans, I couldn't begin to count how many times I've learned what color someone's thong underwear is when a seated person moved so that her shirt pulled up.  I love that Duluth Trading made the "no yank tank" in response.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised by that; with the popularity of low-rise jeans, I couldn't begin to count how many times I've learned what color someone's thong underwear is when a seated person moved so that her shirt pulled up.  I love that Duluth Trading made the "no yank tank" in response.

There did not appear to be any underwear in her wardrobe tonight.

26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We had a pre-concert dinner at Schonbrunn Palace. I was somewhat disappointed in that it was a fixed menu with no choices - beef consume with semolina dumpling, beef pot roast with potato cake and tomatoes, and apple strudel with whipped cream for dessert. It was good, but not great.

You jogged my memory. My child and I were on a tour once. In Italy we went to one of those meals that go with something (similar to your Palace dinner). She thought the food was great...me not so much. I had to use the restroom and had to pass the outskirts of the kitchen. Imagine my surprise when I saw that our pasta had Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and peas on it. When I got back to the table I told her that I’d be able to fix that exact meal for her when we returned home. She loved it again but when she found out the truth...This has been a family joke for over 20 years. 

• Love 2

Ina's Italian Wedding Soup.  I like to make the meatballs using chicken cilantro sausage along with ground chicken. 

Re: getting mooned?  I wish people would stop wearing clothes that allow these moon "shots".  Wear a long t-shirt or long tank top and tuck it in those jeans, slacks, etc. Geez.

• Love 1

Our first dinner in a Biergarten - small but 2 blocks from the hotel. My husband had a spicy spaetzle with cheese, and I had a salad (both green and potato) topped with fried chicken fingers.

And I have to brag on my husband. We ate late because he decided to do laundry, and the 1st place's machines didn't work and he had to find another. The 2nd place's wash cycle lasted 1 1/2 hours!

• Love 2

It was Swedish meatballs at Ikea... what else!  I substituted the mixed veg for the veggie medallion.

We munched on their oatmeal cookies driviving home.

Don't ask me why my phone wants to use both italic and helvetica ???? Keeps wanting to do that on this post and won't stop. I've tried.

I was going to make a traditional red beans and rice but then I kept procrastinating and realized by the time I had browned the andouille, roasted the spices and softened the veg it was 6:30 and hadn’t started cooking the beans. Not wanting to wait at least two maybe three hours I threw everything in the Instant Pot and glorious red beans and rice were devoured by 7:15! 

• Love 2

We arrived in Salzburg this afternoon. It was hot out, over 80, not conducive for walking. We waited until after 7 pm to go to Die Weisse, recommended by Rick Steves. I had a small Hungarian goulash served with a roll. My husband had a grilled bratwurst with fried potatoes and sauerkraut. I swear the potatoes were swimming in butter. So good.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

We arrived in Salzburg this afternoon. It was hot out, over 80, not conducive for walking. We waited until after 7 pm to go to Die Weisse, recommended by Rick Steves. I had a small Hungarian goulash served with a roll. My husband had a grilled bratwurst with fried potatoes and sauerkraut. I swear the potatoes were swimming in butter. So good.

I'd love to hear about some of the yummy baked goods you're enjoying!

• Love 1

We did the whole tourist thing at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna - tour of the apartments, pre-concert dinner at their restaurant, and concert. Dessert was apple strudel with whipped crème and it was good. I planned on having sucre torte at the Sucre Café in Vienna, but my husband turned up his nose, and Rick Steves said it was dry, so I decided to skip it.

• Love 2

Don't ask me why my phone wants to use both italic and helvetica ???? Keeps wanting to do that on this post and won't stop. I've tried.

I thought maybe you really, really wanted to emphasize the Swedish meatballs you had for dinner.  :) 

Between this and talk of large butts, I now have Sir Mix a Lot in my head.

Now I do to.  Earworm!

I'm having a pretty boring dinner.  I stayed at work for an hour or so after my shift ended to get caught up on a few things so I'm cooking late, but since I had taken chicken out of the freezer earlier in the day to thaw, I needed to cook it.  So, it's oven-BBQd chicken thighs and some kind of side dish.  I haven't figured out my calorie intake for the day so far, so depending on how many I have left, I'll have either some brown rice with sauteed onion (and a little soy or stir fry sauce) or some steamed broccoli. 

21 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Always go with the broccoli over the rice!  I'm my humble opinion of course.

I'm the same way.  I love broccoli, and rice does nothing for me (I only make it [and only brown rice, because at least there's some flavor that way] with curry or something else really saucy that needs to be soaked up, although I may switch to cauliflower "rice" since I like cauliflower much more than rice), so that would be an easy call for me.

I have some chicken breast (seasoned with just a little garlic and parsley, so it can go with many different things) left from what I cooked up for some chicken romano I made for my parents last week, so I think I'm going to go incredibly simple tonight and just chop that up, spread it over a big mixed greens salad, add some avocado, and pour some ranch dressing over the whole thing.

• Love 2

We ate at a little café around the corner from our hotel. After being hot since we arrived in Hamburg (and Munich, Vienna, and now Salzburg), we had thunderstorms this afternoon that really did cool things off. Only second meal we've eaten inside, it was so warm and cozy. I had turkey wiener schnitzel that came with parsley potatoes and cranberry compote, and (gasp!) a green salad. My husband had white asparagus with hollandaise, ham, and parsley potatoes. It was all good.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, biakbiak said:

A clean out the crisper  pasta salad with a garlic scape pesto.

I’m going to have lots of garlic scapes very soon, is this something you make or something you purchase?

(edited)
33 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I’m going to have lots of garlic scapes very soon, is this something you make or something you purchase?

I make it. I use this as a base but use whatever nuts I have and typically throw in a handful of basil/parsley/spinach depending on how strong the garlic scapes are and make it like any pesto.

1/4 cup pine nuts

3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes

Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon

1/2 teaspoon salt

A few generous grinds of black pepper

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

We arrived in Bern, Switzerland today. We ended up eating at an Italian place across the street from our hotel. I had risotto with prawns that was served with shaved parmesan and arugula. It was okay. My husband had a pepperoni pizza that was also okay.

OT: We were basically on the train all day. We changed trains in Zurich. The train from Salzburg to Zurich had some breathtaking scenery.

• Love 3

We're about a month or so away from garlic scapes in this neck of the woods.  My absolute favorite kind of pesto.  I hide it in the bottom of the freezer so I can hoard it all for myself.  Not honorable, but then again I did make it.

This (scroll down below the pizza recipe) is the recipe I usually use, although most of the time I go with walnuts instead of pine nuts.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

We're about a month or so away from garlic scapes in this neck of the woods.  My absolute favorite kind of pesto.

I think it may be my favorite too.  I'm not sure I've ever met a pesto I didn't like, and I do hold particular fondness for the traditional recipe, but I think the garlic scape version edges it out.  Probably because I've got basil growing year-round, while garlic scapes are only seasonal.

I think we are suffering from restaurant fatigue. Radar showed thunderstorms on the way, so we opted for takeaway at the nearby grocery store - turkey sandwich on a good seeded roll for me, spinach quiche and a mushroom focaccia for my husband. And the heavens opened 5 minutes after we got back to the hotel.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hanging with a picky 7 year old so a creamy Mac and cheese, roasted cauliflower, corn salad and brownie ice cream sandwiches if she eats the cauliflower and corn.

Edited by biakbiak

Pork loin chops in a thyme baby bello mushroom cream sauce, wild rice pilaf, fried Brussel sprouts with bacon, sliced tomatoes. Dessert is Eaton mess with raspberries.

Tomorrow we're going for ramen.