Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

On 8/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, Fairfax said:

JTMacc99, was that an Impossible Vegetable Pie by any chance?  I make those sometimes when I have a bunch of fresh vegetables that need a good home -- any combination of vegetables & any kind of cheese will do.  My mom never made the "impossible pie" recipes because those didn't show up until I was an adult, but she would have loved them because they're quick & easy & versatile.

Yes! It is very similar to that recipe.  

You'll find the version of it on the same betty crocker dot com site called Impossibly Easy Zucchini pie:

Ingredients

1 cup thinly sliced zucchini

1 cup chopped tomato (JTMacc's note: I use JUST zucchini, and probably closer to 3 cups than two.)

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2/3 cup Bisquick Heart Smart® mix

3/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk

2 eggs or 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Steps

1 Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease bottom and side of pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.

2 Sprinkle zucchini, tomato, onion and cheese evenly in pie plate.

3 Stir together remaining ingredients with fork until blended. Pour evenly into pie plate.

4 Bake about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thanks @JTMacc99 for posting that recipe. Think I'll try a zucchini one this weekend. 

If I were you, I would google bisquick zucchini pie before you do and scan through the first four or five results. This is a fairly easy recipe to tinker with, and in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to see what variations there are and go with a version that sounds like it will be your speed. (You'll find some with more eggs, some with grated or chopped zucchini, some with no Parmesan, and so on.)

The one I posted above is closest to the one I copied from my mom.

1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

If I were you, I would google bisquick zucchini pie before you do and scan through the first four or five results. This is a fairly easy recipe to tinker with, and in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to see what variations there are and go with a version that sounds like it will be your speed. (You'll find some with more eggs, some with grated or chopped zucchini, some with no Parmesan, and so on.)

The one I posted above is closest to the one I copied from my mom.

Will do and thank you. I'm pretty good in the kitchen and usually use a recipe to get ideas and then go from there adding this and adding that (or subtracting). Had never seen a recipe like this before so I'm anxious to tinker with it. 

• Love 1

I have one recommendation. Don't go with grated for the zucchini. It makes it too mushy. I much prefer running it through the mandoline, and depending on how big the squash was to start, cutting it in half or in quarters length wise before doing so.

See, that's a quiche.  As one who loathes eggs, I find a lot of recipes that claim to be for pies are really just "eggs holding together other ingredients in a pie shell."

Don't get me started on the gentleman caller who offered to make me an omelet for breakfast, I thanked him very politely but said that I don't like eggs. "Ok, I'll make French toast."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Quof said:

See, that's a quiche.

That's interesting, because when my kids asked me what it was I was cooking, I said quiche. Not that they knew what it meant.

Come to think of it, that's probably why I used the word quiche. It threw them off any possible path of declaring they won't like it.  Zucchini Pie leaves the door open for them to use those two words and concoct a reason they won't like it. Quiche, on the other hand, gave them nothing to work with. And since it smelled good while it was cooking, they gave quiche a chance.

• Love 2

We had leftover raita and roti so I marinated a lamb shank over night in yogurt with garlic and ginger, garam masala, cumin and turmeric and braised it in the Instant Pot, and making roti sandwiches with the lamb, raita and spinach. As a side I took the ingredients of Also Mutter and turned it into a cold potato salad.

• Love 2

The juiciest cheeseburgers ever made with meat from my local meat market and grilled on charcoal, old fashioned onion dip made with sour cream and Lipton's, Fritos, and wine while watching Nadal and then Federer at the US Open. My dad would be proud not only of the burgers, but because I also installed a new bathroom sink faucet today by myself! Woo hoo!

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My husband and I are having Brie en croute, pate and baguette for lunch. It's how we celebrate Labor Day when it's 60 and raining. 

I would have that in a minute and it is 90 degrees at 10:20 AM right now.

• Love 1

Brie en croute was just OK. I apparently prefer just regular Brie and preserves on baguette; the en croute part was kind of boring. The pate was fabulous, though. We tried a new kind of country pate from Whole Foods. Surprisingly creamy for country pate and really well spiced (juniper and allspice, I think).

• Love 2

I made my favorite chicken stir-fry from a Weight Watchers cookbook that is over 15 years old. It is so good and so simple. Marinate cut up chicken in chicken broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, corn starch, and minced ginger. Stir fry with asparagus and green onions, serve over brown rice.

• Love 1

I'm making chicken stir fry tonight, too.  I'm marinating the chicken in peanut oil, lime juice, garlic, and ginger, and will stir fry with snow peas and bean sprouts.  That wasn't what I was going to make tonight (I was going to make shrimp tacos), but I found the bean sprouts I'd forgotten about in the crisper, and they need be used ASAP and I'll be gone tomorrow night, so I defrosted some chicken and marinated for stir fry.

Lobster is still on sale at my local market, so I'm making lobster rolls.  I'm simmering the shells to make a stock to freeze for future use.  My neighbor brought over some homemade potato chips & that will be the side.  Frozen grapes for dessert.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ariel said:

Lobster is still on sale at my local market, so I'm making lobster rolls.  I'm simmering the shells to make a stock to freeze for future use.  My neighbor brought over some homemade potato chips & that will be the side.  Frozen grapes for dessert.

Oh...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Tonight is TJ's Steak & Stout Pie.  I've never had this before. I will report back on how it is.  The side will be a simple garden type salad.  Dessert will be something light, maybe frozen grapes.

• Love 1

Last night I had a poke bowl at one of those places that you choose your own ingredients, one of the ingredients I choose was avocado and was eating through it and grabbed a generous piece of avocado with my piece of salmon only to discover that it was not mashed avocado but WASABI! I do not recommending eating a sushi restaurants dinner service supply of Wasabi, I think my mouth might still be feeling the after effects.

Tonight it will be a clean out the fridge pasta salad.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Last night I had a poke bowl at one of those places that you choose your own ingredients, one of the ingredients I choose was avocado and was eating through it and grabbed a generous piece of avocado with my piece of salmon only to discover that it was not mashed avocado but WASABI!

Whoa!  That must've been a memorable experience.  Something similar happened to me years ago while eating a stir fry (cooked by my future husband)...I chomped down on a piece of ginger he missed when removing ginger from the stir fry before serving.  Thought I'd die from the mouth burn but was trying to be polite at the same time.  But I bet it wasn't as bad as munching on wasabi ;>(

Tonight's dinner was Shrimp Curry which I've made before and it was delicious.  But tonight it tasted "thin" if you know what I mean.  I finally figured out what I did wrong.  I used 2 cans of light coconut milk whereas in the past I've used one can of regular coconut milk and one light (or just 2 cans of regular).  I think I'm going back to using regular coconut milk since we don't have this dish very often.  It pays to splurge once in a while!

• Love 3
On 9/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, ariel said:

Tonight is TJ's Steak & Stout Pie.  I've never had this before. I will report back on how it is. 

I had those in my cart my last TJs trip, but trying to lighten the the load weight, and price-wise, put them back. I'd really like to hear your opinion of them.

15 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I had those in my cart my last TJs trip, but trying to lighten the the load weight, and price-wise, put them back. I'd really like to hear your opinion of them.

My husband really liked them.  I thought they were ok.  They are like a beef pot pie.  They look like a beef wellington & I think I was expecting that which is my fault. I cooked them in the oven, not the microwave.  Will I buy them again - yes for my husband.  I will probably have one too, but a half of one & a salad was plenty for me.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

Yay, having decent dinner tonight since the hurricane. A wonderful, locally owned french restaurant is doing a "hurricane special": Garden salad
Slow roasted pork butt with roasted garlic, thyme jus, rice pilaf and carrot glaze with a glass of wine. Cash only though, no ability to process cards!

• Love 3

Where I live, the summer produce won't be here for long, so we're having BLT's & corn on the cob.  I am freezing some corn (off the cob) for the holidays.

9 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Yay, having decent dinner tonight since the hurricane. A wonderful, locally owned french restaurant is doing a "hurricane special": Garden salad
Slow roasted pork butt with roasted garlic, thyme jus, rice pilaf and carrot glaze with a glass of wine. Cash only though, no ability to process cards!

That sounds like a very nice meal.

We had a bunch of eggs and a ton of little bits of leftover cheeses, my boyfriend has never passed a cheese counter where he didn't buy two or three random cheeses, so I took a bunch grated them up for a carmalized onion quiche with a spinach salad on the side. It turned out great of course since most of the cheeses were not labelled so I don't know exactly what cheeses were in it.

• Love 3

Spaghetti and meatballs. Meatballs are Ina's from Cooking for Jeffrey. They are baked rather than cooked on the stovetop. The instructions were to brush with the meatballs with olive oil before baking, which browned them nicely. All of the flavor, none of the greasy mess to clean up!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

We having people over for the Emmys so it's a deviled eggs, stuffed pimento cheese potato bites, roast leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, green beans, rolls and a lemon tart for dessert.

I'd really like to eat dinner at your house all.the.time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ariel said:

What time should we show up?  I'll bring some wine.

I was going to say that I'd bring along the dessert but lemon tart was being served (love lemon tart--love lemon everything).  That menu is giving me some ideas (e.g., deviled eggs--haven't made them in ages and it's time to make them again).  That's why I like this forum/thread.  I get ideas for supper/dinner just when I feel like I've run out of ideas :>)