Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

Leslie Nicol (Mrs. Patmore) was on Supernatural this week as a witch...but she's still a cook, too. You have to check out that picture and the quote next to it.

Holy crap.  Now that's a image of Mrs. Patmore I could have gone a long time without seeing!

What ambitious casting! I suspect they are trying to lure parents to bring their children (of all ages) to that big theater downtown -- and the usual DVD sales. I don't recall the story exactly (never saw the cartoon or the musical), but I do remember it was one of the fairy tales I did like (and I was not big on fairy tales as a child -- only appreciating them after college "ethnographically" as cultural and cross-cultural icons. This production sounds almost "instant classic" ... good news. 

Don't remember Dan Stevens singing but I take your word that Christmas carols were sung by him ... I was thinking it was Dockery who was in a "band" but then remembered it was Elizabeth McGovern ... who apparently captivated many many hearts years ago (during a period I obviously was not going to the movies). -- oh wait, Dockery sometimes sings in McGovern's band and elsewhere, for realz -- "Dockery is a jazz singer. She sang at the 50th Anniversary of Ronnie Scott's Jazz club in London and has occasionally sung with Sadie and the Hotheads, a band formed by Elizabeth McGovern, who plays her mother in Downton Abbey. Dockery cites her musical influences as Peggy Lee, Melody Gardot and Billie Holiday in her more melancholy moods."

Didn't realize Daisy was playing an Evil Stepsister in the new Cinderalla (photo) 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/movies/cinderella-has-a-dusting-of-downton-abbey.html?&

Sounds like playing "the Beast" in Beauty and the Beast was probably a much-coveted role, if just for the almost guaranteed big paycheck  -- so I'm guessing Stevens sings at least as well as the runner ups.  I'm surprised and pleased that they didn't cast teenagers ... 

• Love 1

Don't remember Dan Stevens singing but I take your word that Christmas carols were sung by him

Not carols (at least I don't remember it) but there was a hokey moment in season 2 where Mary was singing "If I was the only girl" to the soldiers and Matthew wanders in and sings along with her in some sort of attempt to drown the audience in cheese.

I just didn't recall him singing *well* ;)

Dockery was fine in the season five season finale with the carols.

It does sound like a big role for him.

• Love 1

It's been awhile since I've seen the animated version, but I feel like the Beast didn't even sing very much. Like he had a little bit in "Something There" but I think that was it.

My high school put on the stage version when I was a sophomore. My memory's fuzzy on that as well but I feel like Belle, Gaston, and the furniture sang more than he did. Idk if the new movie will follow the animated version or the stage one, but I feel like the actor who plays the Beast only really needs to be serviceable in the singing department.

• Love 3

I have no memory -- I'm just glad that Beauty and the Beast will give him some "breathing room" to be choosy about his next part or go do theater or whatever. The pressure to "keep working so they don't forget about you" and to make sure your support team is happily getting paid to match their expectations, etc. must be intense. I have no idea how many movies will be made in the next decade with a part for him ... though many of the "old guard" are getting long-in-the-tooth for roles he'd be up for (thinking Depp, DiCaprio, Colin Farrell). 

Oh, I saw Winter's Tale on netflix and thought that while far from perfect it was perfectly enjoyable if you don't mind heart-on-sleeve stories ... All this reminded me of Jessica who was not a luminously amazingly beautiful as she probably needed to be to overcome that movie being declared a turkey. It was an "impossible to film" book that probably should have stayed a book since it went well beyond "magical realism" ... but in a very long book with a very strong first third, it worked. (I hate magical realism).  She's up soon in a Frankenstein movie with Daniel Radcliffe and James McAvoy ... so that's good. 

I've read that Emma Watson can't sing, so maybe there won't be too much singing in "The Beauty and the Beast"? Or she gets a voice double. Dan can sing well enough IMO (and I say that as a singer and vocal teacher). He has a nice voice, can carry a tune and recording does wonders any way. You can make a swan out of an ugly duck today without a problem.

• Love 1

ANd the articles I have seen suggest there won't be a lot of singing. that it will be more like Malificent in style. So looks good.  I'm more curious if we'll see another "Downton insiders say they're still mad" article timed for when the movie comes out, like they did this year. :)

Oh, probably -- my guess is that Fellowes believes he "made" Steven's entire career and is entitled to remind everyone of that forever ... just part of "his" (Fellowes) genius to have cast Stevens ... or something.  At the time Stevens left, It did feel (to me anyway) as if there was an effort to paint him as having just committed career suicide ... and for DA's fans to "never forgive him" which seemed petty and unfair.  If Stevens has ever said an unkind thing -- eyeball rolling at the "he walks!!!" and other plot contrivances excepted -- I've never heard of it. I have my own guesses as to why he felt he needed to leave ... but they are guesses ... along the lines of wanting to do other things and avoiding type-casting. With his looks, it will take care to avoid being shoe-boxed -- see Richard Chamberlain and/or Rob Lowe as also considered at least somewhat unfairly imho "too pretty to be taken seriously"  

• Love 1

Yeah. On the one hand, he can come off a bit pretentious and overly intellectual in interviews I've seen... but that means he was also probably smart enough to see that the writing for his character wasn't going to change.... and I have wondered if Fellowes blows a gasket every time Stevens gets a new picture.. I mean, despite the dour predictions, Dan doesn't appear to have had a David Caruso ego style career implosion.

We should probably start a pool on when the "downton insiders note how they all hiss at the sound of the name of He Who Must Not Be Named" articles start coming :)

• Love 1
(edited)

The only extended interview I read with Stevens was one that talked about his troubles keeping up with his reading having been chosen to one of the Booker Prize panelists shortly before starting Downton. My memory is that he also wants/wanted to write, studied literature and act in theater, which all seems rather "boilerplate" -- I remember a similar endearing interview with Kiera Knightley talking about "learning her craft" etc, after starting out very young  -- which more recent interviews (after audience backlash) rather contradict. The media is so powerful and often cruel -- they built Nicole Kidman post-divorce up as some "you've hardly seen the beginning of her talents and beauty" greatest actress, and while she can be very good, she's not all that and her looks really do get in the way when the director/cinematographyer will.not.stop. with the camera. It's impossible most of the time, particularly in actual movies, to know where the director/writer leaves off and the acting begins. I saw Knightley savaged in comment sections for "A Dangerous Method"  -- a role critics applauded and that was likely carefully and meticulously directed based on Freud/Jung's notes. I thought it was both a good and a brave performance, but it and Anna Karenina apparently sparked some avalanche of social medial disappointments. 

Dan Stevens -- wiki -- Cambridge, Literature, Footlights, Marlowe Society -- solid education 

eta: I should add that I'm not a "big" Knightley fan, but I have thought (and may still) that she had genuine potential -- if -- directors would stop fawning all over her -- I thought her Pride and Prejudice performance was awful, but I thought that whole production was god-awful -- if pretty and enjoyable -- see also Donald Sutherland's doddering charicature of a performance as the father. I think she's often much better than her detractors would admit ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I don't see any evidence of JF being angry at Dan Stevens for leaving the show.  I think that's only put out there by the same people who claim JF "worships" the aristocracy.

I don't think Fellows hates Stevens for leaving, but I think he was a bit mad when he did. Not awfully so, but a little bit and I also think it would be understandable if he was. Stevens destroyed his initial idea how to end Downton.

I think the "fans" were more angry than Fellows though and it was partly Dan Steven's own fault. He made fun of the pain the fans felt and didn't really took them seriously. He should have been a little bit more restrained and a little bit more understanding on social media and he wouldn't have gotten so much hate.

• Love 1
If Stevens has ever said an unkind thing -- eyeball rolling at the "he walks!!!" and other plot contrivances excepted -- I've never heard of it.

He has and did. Fall of 2012 and Winter 2013, including "the bar for fulfillment has been raised" and "It's nice that people care, I suppose" and "I asked for more blood, I wanted to make sure Matthew was dead." And then his publicist barred the media from asking him about Downton. The words "I am so grateful to the cast, crew and fans" never crossed his lips. Old interviews only talked about how Downton allowed him to raise his profile. It was beyond clear he thought the show was beneath him. He only smells like a rose now because some insider blabbed about the "never mention Matthew onscreen again" directive.

In retrospect, it was easy to see this coming -- Stevens talked about how he'd gone to L.A. in 2006 to try for Hollywood fame and he missed the entire season 1 UK press tour because he was in the U.S. filming "Vamps." There were some interviews where he seemed surprised the show lasted longer than a season. He bitched about the length of time it took to film dinner scenes. He never bought into Matthew and Mary even a little bit (Dockery herself is clearly a different, odder story) -- his entire UK season 2 promo tour was about how half the people he talked to hated Mary, how Amy Heckerling (his "Vamps" director) thought she was a "bitch" and how he thought Matthew and Lavinia were a good match. His entire UK season 3 promo tour was about judging the Booker Prize, promoting "Summer in February" and gleefully bragging about reading his Kindle onset between takes.

It's fitting this thread is about "the cast in other roles," because if there is one person in the entire Downton universe who needed to be in another role, it's Dan Stevens. So, he gets his fame and fortune, and Fellowes has the right to never mention Matthew onscreen again. As a fan of Downton Abbey, that's all I can ask for -- because never was there a person who hated Downton Abbey more during his tenure there than Dan Stevens.

(edited)

But you're not bitter still? :)

I would simply add that I never found his remarks about the show to indicate he hated it, and he gave reasonable, professional notice. I actually understand why Fellowes would be angry.... but if Fellowes doesn't want Dan to "smell like a rose" - then maybe he needs to have a talk with his staff on how as amusing as the "Downton insisders insist the name Matthew never be spoken again" articles are, having these articles *two years* after the guy left says more about the production staff than it does about the actor.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
(edited)

But you're not bitter still? :)

I would simply add that I never found his remarks about the show to indicate he hated it, and he gave reasonable, professional notice. I actually understand why Fellowes would be angry.... but if Fellowes doesn't want Dan to "smell like a rose" - then maybe he needs to have a talk with his staff on how as amusing as the "Downton insisders insist the name Matthew never be spoken again" articles are, having these articles *two years* after the guy left says more about the production staff than it does about the actor.

I just gave several concrete examples of his dislike and disrespect for his character and the show (I didn't even go into his attitude towards fans). And why is it OK for Stevens' publicist to ban mentioning Downton (obviously a directive from Stevens), but not OK for Downton Abbey staffers to ban mentioning Matthew on set (obviously a directive from Fellowes)?

Plus, why is a Dan Stevens fan still watching Downton Abbey in the first place? Since we know for a fact Matthew's name will never be mentioned again, why would one put oneself through that? We know now that "Downton Abbey" hates Dan Stevens, and the feeling is probably mutual. But both are doing well for themselves: Downton Abbey is still tremendously popular worldwide, and now Dan Stevens has gotten a tremendously popular Hollywood role.

Downton and Dan was just a bad marriage -- a Bates and Vera for the ages. We (and they) should probably just rejoice in the divorce, as they're clearly far happier apart than they ever were together.

ETA: Sorry, I'm getting a bit heated about this, but as someone who lived and died (figuratively) with the "Is Dan staying or going?" media speculation mess of Fall 2012, and its resulting fallout in Winter 2013, I am never going to find anything about the guy remotely worth defending. I wish you and I had another show in common, because I think we'd get along great otherwise but I fear we are never going to see eye-to-eye about Dan Stevens. Like...ever (as Taylor Swift would say).

Edited by Eolivet
(edited)

And why is it OK for Stevens' publicist to ban mentioning Downton

The incident you're referring to was for Summer in February which premiered soon after the season three Xmas episode and the press events for the film were overwhelmed with questions about Downton. Since then, Stevens has done many interviews where he pleasantly answers questions about Downton and says nice things about Downton.

Lets call it a mismatch. Stevens left the show in a professional manner. He gave reasonable notice, possibly he was unhappy with the not that great writing (I believe the guy playing Bates gave some similar interviews about being unhappy with the writing and direction). Frankly I expect a little anger at the time because it was a difficult problem to the show. However, its now two years down the road. In recent interviews concerning other projects, he's quite pleasant and respectful about Downton Abbey. It's two years down the road... that its "Downton Insiders" at the directive of Fellowes, if you're correct, are still running to bitch how unhappy Fellowes is.... that tells me who the angriest one is and it makes me wonder how difficult it is to work with the producer and writer of Downton.. Because it IS two years later and Downton is still doing well despite losing Stevens so all the anger that seems to be coming from Fellowes starts to look overdone.

It also hurts the show when the writers of the show allow their rage to play out on the screen instead of trying to tell a good story. If it's true that whoever plays Mary's husband will always be able to be disposed of at the drop of a hat because Fellowes won't have the story ruined again, he's hurting his own story by being unwilling to invest in a new character.

I'm actually more of a Matthew fan than a Dan Stevens fan but I rather liked *other* characters as well. I quite enjoy Mary's cold and unfeeling ways and Robert's ineffective plodding. Was I supposed to quit watching?

Edited by ZoloftBlob
(edited)

Funny because Dan Stevens isn't my type -- at all -- and I had originally thought he was the next BBC/PBS costume drama crumpet of the week ... but he grew on me, playing that rather thankless character and really trying (and often succeeding) in adding some spontaneity and humor to his lines/scenes. I never quite understood the protestations of the staff and cast that they were stunned by the popularity of the show (given its pedigree, in hindsight, it would seem a natural, except that it's so shallow and so soapy), so I've never known what how long they expected to playing these roles.  Stevens declined to re-up. If it was in fact about money, that's never been revealed, to my knowledge, but I'm doubtful. Given season 2 -- without some promise about story/character development (again if this was an issue, I do not know), just refusing to spend another year in grin-and-bear-it mode, regardless of money. 

The clock is ticking for all young actors -- suddenly you're not the ingenue, not the romantic lead, not an action hero (though Downey has pushed that age limit enormously -- but who'd have guessed it? not me). I was happy for him when he left -- even without knowing of any future projects because at that point Fellowes' writing had hit a low-point ... Regardless, it's still very frustrating because this show should and could be so much better ... 

eta: Fellowes' ego seems to be stumbling block -- he wants all the credit and plows on -- oblivious that the ship had foundered many times ... If there were something competitive at 9 p.m. on Sunday evenings, he might be unpleasantly surprised. I still weary of the New Guard at Masterpiece -- we've got 6 or more weeks of Selfridges coming up -- for (older and/or poorer) folks without cable -- both are better than most everything else that's on, but not remotely challenging or particularly "dramatic" or engaging ... they're more like thumbing through Martha Stewart's Living magazine ... not a bad way to pass an hour. 

I re-watched North and South this last week and then did some googling because I knew nothing about the leads -- startled to discover that sharp-beaked (not my type) Richard Armitage was the heart-throb of Robin Hood ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I recently saw a wonderful movie, "Belle," which includes Penelope Wilton and Matthew Goode in its stellar cast. Set in 18th century England and based on a true story, it beautifully intertwines the personal life of the title character with an extremely important legal case of the day. It's my favorite movie I've seen in a while. I highly recommend it!

• Love 3

I recently saw a wonderful movie, "Belle," which includes Penelope Wilton and Matthew Goode in its stellar cast. Set in 18th century England and based on a true story, it beautifully intertwines the personal life of the title character with an extremely important legal case of the day. It's my favorite movie I've seen in a while. I highly recommend it!

I saw that on a flight to Australia, it was very good.  As I recall Matthew Goode's role was very small but important.  Was Penelope Wilton the aunt?

• Love 1

Recently become a David Tennant fan and in catching up with his work, I've run across the following Downton people:

Jim Carter played the surgeon who treated Tennant's character in the TV movie, Recovery.

Hugh Bonneville's BBC series, Twenty Twelve and W1A are/were both narrated by Tennant. They also costarred in Glorious 39.

Kevin Doyle was in Blackpool, playing the prospective son in law of the lead couple. 

Maggie Smith was in The Last September and rejected Tennant's character as a suitor for her niece.

Joanne Froggett played his wife in the first episode of True Love.

Of course, David Tennant also played Barty Crouch, Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, with Dame Maggie continuing in her role as McGonagall.

• Love 1

Went to the theatre tonight to see Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit and was surprised to find Charles Edwards (Gregson) playing role of the burdened husband.  He did a very good job; I can understand why he might want to leave Downton for this.  Lansbury at 89 is utterly brilliant in the role of Madame Arcati.

It closes in Toronto this weekend and then moves to D.C.  Well worth the viewing if anyone is in the area.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I saw Cinderella this afternoon. While the plot was (obviously) predictable, I thought Lily James and Sophie McShera both did excellent jobs. LJ is downright charming, and has really come a long way since her first few appearances as Rose. Also, she was wearing the hell out of what might just be the greatest dress in the history of the world. SM was hilarious; I look forward to seeing her in more non-Daisy roles.

I recommend the movie based on the cinematography alone. Besides LJ and SM, Cate Blanchett is deliciously evil as Lady Tremaine and Helena Bonham Carter plays against type and is perfectly delightful as the Fairy Godmother. It's a nice movie for an easy afternoon, doesn't really require a lot of brain power since the plot is old as dirt. But that dress, man. If you see it for anything, see it for the dress.

• Love 4
(edited)

David Robb (Dr. Clarkson) is in Wolf Hall, playing Anne Boleyn's father. In fact, he's in the very first scene in the first episode, looking very different under a bunch of hair and beard but with that unmistakable voice making a positive ID almost instantaneous. 

Edited by Milburn Stone

I vaguely knew that Goode was in "Dancing on the Edge" but I had not realized that he is the (white) lead, the bandleader of the band of the story being played by Chiwetel Ejiofor ... as well as Joanna Vanderham (of The Paradise) and John Goodman and apparently a number of actors from Fellowes' Titanic (which I never saw)  I've only seen 1 & most of 2 (internet too slow to show) and they have been succeeding in being interesting and fun history -- I'm not sure this is history, a composite or utter fiction -- and thought I'd recommend it for those looking for something to tide them over Sherlock too recently seen to be watched yet again ... I like to have forgotten enough that the actorly business is "new again" ... The netflix reviews (there aren't that many) vary a bit suggesting it may "go down hill" but at 6 episodes of an hour each on Netflix so far with nothing vividly violent or distressing ... unhappy reviews mostly annoyed that the white music magazine editor (Goode) and the other white rich folks take up so much screen time ...  I'm happy clam so far. Stephen Poliakof really is a "genius" and some of his other shows may also be available on Netflix -- Perfect Strangers (2001) with Matthew MacFadyen (and a cast to die for) is quite excellent. 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I second  Helenamonster's   review of the dress, er, I mean  Cinderella.  It was perfect as warm nostalgia after a bad day.  I'm so glad they didn't modernize the story to make for more feisty girlpower.  Cinderella was the same sweet, quiet girl she was when I was little.  Downton's Rose was absolutely luminous.  She was born to play this role.

Rose Leslie (who played Gwen)just played Luther's new detective lackey in the new season of Luther.And was in Game of Thrones as Ygritte

Funny thing is Rose is (for all Fellowes previous affectation of nobility) the real deal .Her father is a Leslie (he is Clan Chief for the Aberdeenshire branch of the family) ,and she grew up in Lickleyhead Castle .And on her mothers side she is a Lovat and descended from King Charles II

And I remember Phyllis Logan being Ian McShane's (from Deadwood) love interest Lady Jane in Lovejoy

ITV did their live production of "The Sound of Music Live" a couple Sunday's ago.  Julian Ovendon played the Captain.  But I thought the actor playing the butler looked familar too.  It was Paul Copley who plays Mr. Mason on the show.

Does anybody know what prevented Michelle Dockery from co-starring with Elisabeth Moss in Queen of Earth? If it was scheduling, what was the conflict? Moss has received excellent reviews, but from the bits I've seen of it, I think it was a real loss not to have Dockery as the sister. I think they would have played off each other very well. Dockery may not have Moss's range, but she has a natural intelligence and real strength that is necessary vis a vis Moss.

I saw a bit of Turn of the Screw with Dockery on youtube, and there was Danker playing some role as well.

I haven't followed much of the Fellowes/Stevens brouhaha on the web, but from watching Downton I'd never have gotten the impression Matthew's name was verboten, or his memory resented. One of the smaller things I liked about Downton was how regularly the names of Sybil and Matthew would come up. That's natural, and it happens in real life. Not every episode, but where appropriate.

Edited by DianeDobbler

MD quitting Queen of Earth is most likely related to the recent events in her personal life. 

As for the Matthew mentions on DA, there a lot less Matthew mentions than there were Sybil mentions. And it was noticeable. Several characters would often mention Sybil. We even had a lovely Sybil hommage when Gwen came back. Mary may not be the sentimental expressive type, but for Isobel to never mention her son made no sense. We never even had any mentions of Isobel spending time with her only grandson. It was like her son never existed. Her only connection to the Crawleys was as Violet's BFF.

Also, Mary's scene at Matthew's grave should've happen much sooner. I feel like the scene was put there to push the Henry/Mary pairing. 

Edited by Future Cat Lady
  • Love 1

Hugh Bonneville and Sophie McShera both have good roles in the ABC series "Galavant", which, for those who haven't caught it, is a very funny musical series set in a land of medieval tropes. Hugh plays a frequently land locked pirate king and Sophie plays the evil Queen's 'poxy' lady in waiting. Both are excellent.

• Love 4

Does anybody know what prevented Michelle Dockery from co-starring with Elisabeth Moss in Queen of Earth?

The reason was probably, because it filmed just around the time her fiancé got ill. She was already on set when she cancelled it. 

I rewatched French Lieutenant's Woman and saw Penelope Wilton playing the wife of Jeremy Irons. She also shared a scene with Meryl Streep..

Brendan Coyle was in Conspiracy playing a Nazi leader. His scowly jowly face made him convincing in that role.

Edited by shang yiet