Type keyword(s) to search

Crystal Minkoff: She Already Knows Everyone Who Matters

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Maybe Crystal is an example of money talking, wealth whispering...she just doesn't feel the need to flaunt her wealth beyond a few examples here and there, kind of like Kathy, who people seem to cheer for being so down to earth with her displays of her wealth.

Everyone I know who has a lot of money AND has been rich for awhile is similar. They might have gorgeous mansions and luxury cars, but even if their clothes are expensive, they're rarely flashy. The people who are in your face as far as designer everything and logos are either not truly rich or are new money. 

One thing I noticed that the divide in the last episode was basically between those who appear to be living honest lives (Garcelle, Crystal, Sutton) and those who have stuff to hide (Erika, Dorit, Kyle, Rinna). Kathy has been cool with everyone but fits in with the first group. I think the reason some of the group coddled Erika and didn't defend Garcelle at all is because they don't want any of their own shadiness questioned. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

I don't think Crystal particularly hides her wealth. She seems like a pretty typical rich Los Angeles person. There is no doubt that anyone seeing her would know she is extremely wealthy. I also don't think that Kyle either hides or flaunts her wealth and she is at this point extremely wealthy.

This discussion really is derived from a post a bit up thread which quoted an expose that her husband wasn't that wealthy and she was being subsidized by her brother. I think her husband has made enough with his movies and television series to support their life style - unlike PK (for example) because there is no way that managing Boy George could support anything more than a two bedroom condo :-) 

Sutton just loves clothing and I think she has a good time with it. Her clothing is couture but isn't obviously a specific designer unless you are a real aficionado of the runway shows and recognize what she is wearing but most people outside of professionals would just know it is expensive and very striking.  She is genuinely wealthy and if couture is her passion, go for it since she can afford to indulge it.

I don't know anyone in real life in LA who goes around dressed like Dorit who dresses for instagram. She would be a subject of derision if she actually showed up dressed like this. It is so obviously "branded" and not particularly stylish that I find it hard to believe she is actually buying the stuff - especially given their obvious lack of income/wealth to support that kind of wardrobe/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 8/13/2021 at 7:21 AM, pasdetrois said:

A blind gossip site says that Crystal's luxurious lifestyle is paid for by her brother, who is/was a major pop star in China. The site speculates that rumors of her husband's wealth exaggerate that wealth, saying that he could not have made the claimed figure ($10m) from The Lion King.

Who knows, but The Lion King was huge and it was everywhere. Lunch boxes, backpacks, stuffed animals etc.  My daughter was in elementary school at the time and obsessed with Nala. Her room was filled with Nala memorabilia.

If Minkoff played his cards right, he would have his fingers on each and every licensing deal out there. In which case,  I have no doubt he'd have a net worth of $10M. Plus, if he saves and invests, he could hit that mark quite easily with whatever he earned from his participation in The Lion King. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:25 PM, Kdawg82 said:

I actually quite like Crystal's husband so far. Until I have reason not to. Age gap isn't a big deal for me because in their case it doesn't seem like it's wide. 

I still think there's hope Crystal can redeem herself from the smug bi**h she has shown thus far. Fingers crossed.  She might have been over compensating for the show.

I like the hubby too. Alot. In fact, I think he's the first house husband I find entertaining. 

I like Crystal and don't find her to be bitchy or anything like that. Tightly wound? yes; bitchy? no.

I give housewives two years. We only see snippets so it takes awhile to get a well-rounded look at these women. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 9

This is a great interview with Crystal. She comes across very likable, honest, and down to earth. Quite refreshing considering the show she's on! She said when she and her husband thought about people looking into them if she were to join the show, their concerns were things like Rob being critiqued for some of his work. lol No real skeletons. She mentions the coconut water company she started nine years ago that's sold at CostCo. She said she sold 25 million dollars this year. Good for her! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I believe Crystal was born in 1983, which makes her 38 now and 19 when she and Rob first started dating. Her own Instagram as well as the more reputable tabloids like People have her current age as 38. 

I think people are giving her too much benefit of the doubt regarding Erika. In current interviews she’s been defending her. I think the evidence mostly points to her being Team Erika. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm finally on the current season (watching the early episodes). 

Crystal made a snide remark about her older (female) friends who "dress too young" and basically, they look pathetic in her eyes.

Glad to see she's ageist. 

Has she looked closely at her husband? 🤮

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was completely shocked to see that the last post on this thread is from 2021, considering how much of the current season centers around her right now.  

I hadn’t posted on this thread, but I know my opinion of her has changed.  It was more fun to watch her before I realized she fancies herself THE intelligent one. 

Edited by CallmeCray
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CallmeCray said:

I was completely shocked to see that the last post on this thread is from 2021, considering how much of the current season centers around her right now.  

I hadn’t posted on this thread, but I know my opinion of her has changed.  It was more fun to watch her before I realized she fancies herself the intelligent one. 

But she uses “big words”

That was so condescending 

• Applause 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

But she uses “big words”

Yeah, that infuriated me and I lost a lot of respect for her.  If she was so fucking smart, she sure as hell wouldn’t be on this damn show.

Edited by CallmeCray
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

My take is Sutton and Crystal had a real conversation last year about race and it would seem both walked away satisfied, enough to become buddies.   

Crystal seemed disappointed when Garcelle still expressed uncertainty that she hadn't planned to set up Sutton last season because they also seem to have gotten closer/friendlier.  I think Crystal clearly went into that show with a target on Sutton BUT I also think the race conversation was fair BUT if you walk in with an agenda you are going to interpret everything Sutton says in the worst light.  

So to defend herself she chose the words "very dark" and if Crystal is as smart as she thinks she is she knew as soon as she said it and saw the reaction they were the wrong words.  But she is digging her heels in just like she did with the word violated.  That is really disappointing and very harmful to Sutton for what to me seemed like simply a difficult conversation about race where both were trying to share their thoughts and Sutton I think walked away learning something from Crystal about the little things white people may do or say, without any malice, that others can find problematic.  

And Crystal ruined all that with her choice of words and digging her heels in about it.  Which is kind of ironic in a way ;)

Crystal has some qualities I like BUT I do find her word choice problematic at times ;)

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

It was basically shade, nothing more. 

I’ve always felt that insulting another’s intelligence is especially cutting and low.  Garcelle is surely no dummy, for one thing - in fact, quite the opposite - but the little smirk of superiority behind it was pretty disappointing.  It was mean, and that’s the spirit in which it was meant.

Edited by CallmeCray
  • Love 8
(edited)

Eh. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

I mean, people were laughing at Kyle about not knowing what Francophile meant, so...

Edited by Hiyo
(edited)
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Eh. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

I mean, we were all laughing at Kyle about not knowing what Francophile meant, so...

Of course, no problem with agreeing to disagree - I wasn’t trying to convince anyone of anything.  

Funny that you reminded me of the Francophile thing, because I admit that Sutton definitely isn’t my favorite, either - and it’s that damn superiority complex vibe I’ve gotten from her on many occasions.  That scene with Kyle was funny to me, but it reminded me of what turned me off about Sutton from the get-go.  In my opinion, she truly believes these women are beneath her.  

To be honest though, I’d STILL rather watch Garcelle, Sutton and Crystal than the other loons - all damn day.  

Edited by CallmeCray
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

But she uses “big words”

SO condescending.  Ick.  Crystal directed that "big words" comment right at her, and that is low.  

I think Garcelle knows what the Rorschach tests are, but maybe just needed reminding.  Sometimes I forget what something is technically called, I just need a reminder. 

Also, I want more about these many former friends who now hate her... someone needs to talk about that.

Of course she's not going to say what exactly Sutton said, because it is NOT dark and it is NOT problematic.  Lying or exaggerating to make someone seem racist is pretty shitty.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 13

I'm annoyed that the editors chose not to show Crystal telling the women their detailed questions were getting too graphic and making her uncomfortable. Especially since Kyle declared she had every right to pry due to her own experience.

Granted we then would have been subjected to three episodes of everyone criticizing her use of the word "graphic."

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 4
On 6/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, heatherchandler said:

Of course she's not going to say what exactly Sutton said, because it is NOT dark and it is NOT problematic.  Lying or exaggerating to make someone seem racist is pretty shitty.

Sutton makes herself seem racist. "The word 'racist' is a virus worse than covid." She literally said that ON THE SHOW.

Which is dark AND problematic. And she supports the proudly racist and anti-Asian Dolce And Gabbana.

But sure, Crystal, is "lying" and exaggerating. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, KFC said:

Sutton makes herself seem racist. "The word 'racist' is a virus worse than covid." She literally said that ON THE SHOW.

Which is dark AND problematic. And she supports the proudly racist and anti-Asian Dolce And Gabbana.

But sure, Crystal, is "lying" and exaggerating. 

I don't blame her for not wanting to be labeled a racist.  And I don't think that she is.  I believe everyone can make up their own mind about her.

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, endure said:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere but Crystal hints at some prominent housewives possibly not coming back.... maybe there is some hope?!?

https://screenrant.com/crystal-kung-minkoff-rhobh-hints-cast-firings-instagram/

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Edited by CallmeCray
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ron and Ben said that they heard some rumors about why 14 friends ditched Crystal. A bunch of them were discussing the offers from Bravo to appear on RHoBH. Supposedly, Crystal said something like, “Oh, I would never join that show. You guys shouldn’t appear on it. It’s so tacky” (I am really paraphrasing here). But then she turns around and signs the contract.

• Useful 13
21 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Ron and Ben said that they heard some rumors about why 14 friends ditched Crystal. A bunch of them were discussing the offers from Bravo to appear on RHoBH. Supposedly, Crystal said something like, “Oh, I would never join that show. You guys shouldn’t appear on it. It’s so tacky” (I am really paraphrasing here). But then she turns around and signs the contract.

That would actually make sense with what we heard so far,

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

That would actually make sense with what we heard so far,

And Crystal implied that the friends were jealous they didn't get an offer to be on the show, but she did. 

I suspect the rest of the women have more issues with Crystal than regarding Sutton's supposed "dark" comment(s). 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Pretty harsh to ditch a friend over that. 

• Like 3

News (at least to me) about Crystal.

https://realityblurb.com/2022/11/13/rhobhs-crystal-kung-minkoff-on-teddis-claim-about-14-friends/

She explains about the advice to her friend re joining show. And, more interesting imo:

“Also, during the interview, Crystal said that while she owns the “second largest” coconut water company “in the world,” people “don’t know that” because it isn’t seen on RHOBH. “I’ve owned it for 10 years. It’s called Real Coco. We have 40 farms in Vietnam and Thailand, but it’s never talked about. I hope next year we get to talk about it,” she said.

• Useful 10
10 minutes ago, nexxie said:

News (at least to me) about Crystal.

https://realityblurb.com/2022/11/13/rhobhs-crystal-kung-minkoff-on-teddis-claim-about-14-friends/

She explains about the advice to her friend re joining show. And, more interesting imo:

“Also, during the interview, Crystal said that while she owns the “second largest” coconut water company “in the world,” people “don’t know that” because it isn’t seen on RHOBH. “I’ve owned it for 10 years. It’s called Real Coco. We have 40 farms in Vietnam and Thailand, but it’s never talked about. I hope next year we get to talk about it,” she said.

I wonder why Crystal gets the short end of the stick as far as being able to promote her business. That doesn't seen fair.

Also, the friend thing still doesn't make sense. I totally understand Crystal's advice to her friend. If her friend's spouse/family is opposed to her joining the show, I agree with Crystal that it isn't a good idea. I'm single, but I know I'd be upset if my husband wanted to do a show that would make us public figures under a lot of scrutiny. So I don't think it's fair to ditch Crystal over that advice. Rob is obviously supportive of his wife doing the show. We've seen him and their children. How did losing 14 friends happen? 

• Like 6
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I wonder why Crystal gets the short end of the stick as far as being able to promote her business. That doesn't seen fair.

Also, the friend thing still doesn't make sense. I totally understand Crystal's advice to her friend. If her friend's spouse/family is opposed to her joining the show, I agree with Crystal that it isn't a good idea. I'm single, but I know I'd be upset if my husband wanted to do a show that would make us public figures under a lot of scrutiny. So I don't think it's fair to ditch Crystal over that advice. Rob is obviously supportive of his wife doing the show. We've seen him and their children. How did losing 14 friends happen? 

Somewhere she said it was more like three friends, and it had to do with her joining the show after advising one of them against it. Of course, Rinna brought up the issue on camera - but Crystal didn’t explain on the show because of the fourth wall.

Edited by nexxie
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

I cannot stand her. She is snobbish and extremely judgemental yet plays victim whenever it is opportune for her.  It is clear to me that the only hardships she sees are her own. Boohoo and most are completely fabricated in her own mind. I think she needs real therapy 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 11/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, RealHousewife said:

It's most probably because her business was not created during her appearance on the show, and Bravo doesn't take a percentage of her profit. I'm sure she doesn't want Bravo to get a percentage either.

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
27 minutes ago, ZettaK said:

It's because it was not created during her appearance on the show, and Bravo doesn't take a percentage of her profit. I'm sure she doesn't want Bravo to get a percentage either.

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense.

• Like 3

I have come around to liking Crystal after not liking her too much in her first two seasons. I think she has shown a lot of personal growth since she first came on and is the type of person who is willing to look at herself and not pretend she doesn’t see where she made mistakes. Also that she actually works at bettering herself after admitting to herself she too, has personality flaws and mistakes were made by her, within this group. 

I said during the first 2 seasons she was aligning herself with the wrong people on this show, mistakenly thinking she was aligning with the “cool” people, when it was Garcelle and Sutton who were really the cool ones. 

I think she now sees this and is on the right track. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 2/6/2024 at 3:59 PM, SassyCat said:

I have come around to liking Crystal after not liking her too much in her first two seasons. I think she has shown a lot of personal growth since she first came on and is the type of person who is willing to look at herself and not pretend she doesn’t see where she made mistakes. Also that she actually works at bettering herself after admitting to herself she too, has personality flaws and mistakes were made by her, within this group. 

I said during the first 2 seasons she was aligning herself with the wrong people on this show, mistakenly thinking she was aligning with the “cool” people, when it was Garcelle and Sutton who were really the cool ones. 

I think she now sees this and is on the right track. 

I don't think Crystal showed personal growth. She still said at 40 years old that she knows what's best for her older brother (on a confessional which was taped later in the season) after her mother and her convinced him to leave his fiancee, and he is moving to another country to become more independent (from them). I don't doubt she said again that the women are uneducated, and superficial because she said the same on the show at least a couple of times that we know of because Bravo showed it. She is exactly like them because Sutton said on Watch What Happens Live yesterday that she is always out at parties. She showed off a special edition Hermes bag that cost almost $100,000. She has a smug look on her face often, and she does act as if she is superior to the other women, but she was not shown enough this season which is almost over except for her argument with MarieAnne for us to observe it more. The only reason she has a specific social position is because she married an a lot older famous guy (and that's why she is smug).  

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

I say she has grown a bit because in an after show interview where she talked about her mother and herself calling her brother 100 times a day during the lock down period, trying to get him to come home (and he did).  She also admitted she was the cause of current rift between herself and her brother because of that, and the entailing break up of her brothers relationship with Vivi. She said it caused her brother to lose trust in her, and you could see the pain in her face from knowing and accepting it was her fault. Admitting fault within herself while being filmed.. an unexpected moment of truth, on a reality show.

13 hours ago, ZettaK said:

The only reason she has a specific social position is because she married an a lot older famous guy (and that's why she is smug).  

Also maybe because she has that super successful coconut water business, and doesn't need to ride her entire existence upon her husbands coattails. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1