Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: The Protean

• Start Topic

Airing May 21 / 21

The task force springs into action to stop an elusive assassin on Liz's trail.

If they perform with their usual incompetence, Liz will finally die!

• LOL 3

Liz looks more and more like Morticia Addams each day.

Impressed how the Protean could immediately find where Liz’s gang was hiding out, but can’t believe he didn’t just sit around for about 20 minutes to wait for Liz to call or come by. Kind of funny that he didn’t immediately recognize Agnes at school. Would have thought he knew exactly what she looked like. Thank goodness for the sign-in book which most schools don’t even use these days since they’re computerized.

Glad to see that accountant taken out. I’ve been turned off from him since he took Red’s money. 

Red as emcee at bingo night 😂❤️😂

• Love 4
Just now, NeenerNeener said:

Love Glen's mother!

Liz, the death of all your henchpeople is on you. And you're so far gone you probably think it was worth it.

Love Glen’s mother too! Quite a story to come up with at the spur of the moment.

I was thinking the same thing about Liz. Add 3 more to her death toll. Of course, the FBI friends will be able to easily look past this and think it’s not poor Lizzie’s fault at all.

• Love 4

Keen has got a lot of people she supposedly cared about killed (ex. her crew, her sister) for what? She has only herself to blame. Did she actually believe the truth would be in her benefit? There was just as good chance it could backfire. At least the weasel lawyer that had helped Liz is dead. He looks like he was developing a crush on her (really? Her power of persuasion is that good?)

Wow Glen's mom is a good con artist. She impressed Red.

• Love 7

Hit man (to Liz): Were they really friends?

How is it that guy figured Liz out and how she "treated" her "crew." Because if they were friends/family she would never drag them into her war game with Red.

And Red perfectly labelled Liz as a lost cause to what she was.

Also she has herself to blame. Playing cat and mouse with people like Red/Townsend and not expect their lives will be at risk. I think the crew knew there was some danger but I don't really think (ex. Skip the lawyer) they really understood how dangerous a game Liz was playing...people would get killed.

• Love 4
(edited)

I never have liked Liz. Not even in season one or when she was married to Tom. Worst part of this episode is Agnes lived. The Protean should have gone after Agnes before finding Jennifer. Obviously, he had the ability to track anybody down, so he should have prioritized Agnes even after she was driven away from school.

Best parts were bingo night and the FBI finally decided not to give into another one of Liz’s desperate requests.

Edited by Neiman
  • Love 5
(edited)

New theory: Mommy Dearest Katarina lied her butt off to Liz about not being N-13 and Stepanov told Townsend that. ThatRed and ThisRed are either relatives or dear friends and many years ago ThisRed promised ThatRed to protect Lizzie if something happened to ThatRed. For reasons that will only make sense to the writers ThisRed assumed ThatRed's identity as part of protecting l'il Masha/Liz.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Sometimes I wonder if Red is really an uncle, or maybe he really is her dad. If Townsend thinks Red is responsible for the death of his family, he’d go after Liz if he thought she was Red’s daughter.

I’m still not believing everything Katerina said and wouldn’t be surprised if she were still alive or if that woman wasn’t the real Katerina.

• Love 3
(edited)

To the actors playing Skip, Esi, Jennifer and the random woman, consider yourselves lucky you're no longer associated with this show. I believe the man playing Skip told the people in charge: "Shoot me few times to leave no doubt in the audience's mind my time here is over".

Random woman couldn't get a mention in Liz's prayer! A terrible forgetful boss she is!!!!!!!!

Man to Protean: "Are you here for business or pleasure?" Protean: "I have a few days to kill". Already I didn't like this chump! Answer the simple question you smug bastard!

Now Liz is in hiding from Townsend. When Red was after her, she had no problem walking around freely in public. This proves Red is slipping when she has no fear of him.

Ressler's reaction after Red verbally slapped Park was funny. That's two weeks in a row for Red putting Park in her place. Park better not say a word to him next week.

Cooper is now concerned about "proper channels"?! Because they are the FBI?! This guy flips his morals every week.

Where did the Protean find these professional profile pictures of his targets. Did Liz's PR person issue press releases on the Criminal's Network?

The asshole Protean just leaves the apartment before Liz got back!!!!! Why??? He could have just waited a few more minutes to get her. Then has the nerve to say later: "Liz is a very CLEVER fugitive in hiding". No! She's not! You're just lousy at your job! Don't give her any damn credit!!! 

There has to be a part of Red that hoped The Protean killed Liz.... for revenge for Anne. 

That poor parrot Mr. Beaks. I hope he doesn't call that man Daddy. The parrot can put a few words together and call an emergency hotline to escape. Just saying!

I appreciated Dembe's proposal to pour mango sauce on it.

Couldn't Percy Spencer have had some foresight to invent a device big enough to microwave this show?

"Loyalty to individuals! Relationships, that what makes the world go around......". The writers had the audacity to put those words in the episode and can't provide that spirit in their lazy scripts?
Agnes was a little pissed to be interrupted during story time. Would Agnes have poked the lady in the eye with a crayon if she said the wrong password? 

So Agnes is now back in the US??!!! Hard to keep up with this little diva!

If a 9mm gets discharged in the city, Cooper wants to know about it! It's Maryland! Cooper's phone must have been ringing every minute.

This is what the Concierge of Crime has to resort to? Not one person in the crowd could have told Red to go fuck himself! For some reason, I did like Red giving the community announcements. Where was Dembe during that time?

Neville got a bad recommendation to hire The Protean. He is a terrible assassin (made Priya look like an ace). He leaves before the main target arrives, allows his DNA to get on Esi, had a hard time struggling with Esi, misses capturing Agnes, he just lets Jennifer get in the car to give Liz a warning, he is careless to drop his phone to be found by the FBI, rudely hangs up on his employer, misses his easy shot at Liz, gets hit by the car and to add more insult to his embarrassing day/night gets killed by Ressler (the worst FBI agent ever).

Cooper seemed confident sending Park and Ressler to arrest the Protean. Why would he expect them to get the job done?

Park: I got a "good" feeling about this (must not be a fan of Star Wars). Right on cue as she spoke, Ressler bumps into the Protean, tells him "All's Good" and he walks by the two fools. The look on Ressler's face watching the security footage of his blunder was nice! He made sure to instruct Park to not tell Cooper.

Now Ressler has been tasked to make funeral arrangements. Liz will probably reimburse him 70% of the costs. 

Liz is worried about "people" dying??! This jerk was going to blow up a hospital, kill people on a plane, and had no problem if her lookalike was going to die by Red. FU Liz!!!!!

Why is Liz begging the Protean to talk about Townsend's whereabouts? She knows where he lives! He's too stupid to move!

Was Cooper holding out hope Liz would be an agent again? Sad for Red to deliver the news to him that it will not happen.

My Co-worker: Happy Friday!!!
Me: Nope! The Blacklist is on tonight!!!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

Nothing blends in like the Starsky & Hutch Torino - in an even uglier colour

Why is the most lethal contract killer since The Jackal #36? Not even top 10????

• Love 3
(edited)

Well a lot of us were wondering just how this show was expecting to keep Liz around after this season and now we know.  It still won't make a lot of us like her though, so I'm not sure what good it was keeping her alive but heck, you obviously can't get good help these days.  She can save her crocodile tears because no one's buying it.

Glen's mother is cool.  Loved the bingo night.

They even dragged Liz's half sister into this mess.  I guess even she realized that being kin to Liz led to her demise.  Lo and behold, another animal that needs to be taken care of...

And yes, worst hitman ever.

Cooper does love to pull out that FBI/following the system crud when he wants to sound high and mighty.  Again, the whole task force has committed their own crimes some of which are capital offenses.  I did like Harold's glasses though.

In the remaining episodes Townsend better get taken out.  Please show, you've screwed us over enough here.

I did enjoy the 10 Year's After song but not sure what the point of it was here and way to potentially ruin an Isley Brothers song for me show.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 5

A major pet peeve of mine is bringing back old characters just to kill them off. It really irritates me. 

I love the "Awww....not Skip, he was such a good guy" stuff.  He helped frame his supervisor and got him tortured in his first appearance! I think they seriously just assume we've forgotten.

Actually, a great deal of this show appears to be predicated on us just not paying attention to past episodes and simply buying whatever they tell us in the current episode. For instance, Keen's people are all SUPER interested in proving Reddington is N13 for NO REASON. 

Really, though, Glenn's mother is amazing and Red is great as always. This is one of those few shows where it is easy to see why people continue to watch it even when there's a lot of bullshit in the show, because Spader is SO GOOD as Red. The show is worth it just for him and his plots. 

But yeah...they really don't know what they have with Liz. They really think she's way, waaaaaay more interesting than she actually is. But oh well, if she goes to work with Red when this is all over, that might be an interesting status quo. 

Also, I adore the introduction of this nameless stooge of Keen's who is then killed, all without us learning their name and then Keen reflects on the people she's sad just died, and she mentions Skip and Esi and not her other stooge...for NO REASON!

• Love 10
(edited)

Impressive body count this episode. That's a lot of familiar faces who won't be coming back.

Jennifer, dying: I have a cat...
Me: Sorry Jennifer, your cat is fucked.
And sure enough, Liz gets herself arrested before she can even look at a bag of cat food!
I will miss Fiona Dourif. That gal had more badass under her fingernails than Liz has in her entire body. Sorry you went out like a chump, Jennifer. You deserved better.

The Reddington bingo hijinks were hilarious although I feel that kind of social engineering is bound to be variable enough in quality that it wouldn't really be worth trying. Still fun to watch though.

I appreciate that Ressler actually got to see the replay of his epic fail. Yes Donald, that is you right there and that is what you always look like.

This episode has an interesting moment where the assassin is dying and in the process is escaping from the clutches of Liz. He looks so happy!

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

This is one of those few shows where it is easy to see why people continue to watch it even when there's a lot of bullshit in the show, because Spader is SO GOOD as Red. The show is worth it just for him and his plots. 

I'm always thisclose to giving up on the show, but am glad you said this because it's why I stick around too.

FWIW, I'm still on the "Red is Katerina" train.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Was  this setting up backstory for Liz becoming a full fledged no gray area criminal. It seems many in Red's world had family murdered including Townsend and Red himself. Sooner or later Liz with get or ditch her quest for answers and just execute Townsend, at that point she's officially like Red.

Still was killing her sister necessary. Or thinking it was the last season at time of script they gave the actress/character one last appearance?

• Useful 2

Ressler failed to read the hostage manual... when the hostage distracts the gunman... shoot the gunman.

Even Ressler could not miss from one foot away....

• LOL 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

Was  this setting up backstory for Liz becoming a full fledged no gray area criminal. It seems many in Red's world had family murdered including Townsend and Red himself. Sooner or later Liz with get or ditch her quest for answers and just execute Townsend, at that point she's officially like Red.

Still was killing her sister necessary. Or thinking it was the last season at time of script they gave the actress/character one last appearance?

That's the gist of what I got when Red was talking to Cooper about Liz being a lost cause.

I suspect she'll take over for Red (at some point down the line). She already stole most of his money to maintain a life on the run (money he was going to leave her anyway). Her trajectory seemingly mirrors Red's original one. For me, this is why the "Red is Katerina" theory works. Red has always been very motherly toward Liz.

Edited by Surrealist
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Ressler failed to read the hostage manual... when the hostage distracts the gunman... shoot the gunman.

Even Ressler could not miss from one foot away....

On past performances, he should have missed and shot Liz.

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

FWIW, I'm still on the "Red is Katerina" train.

It's a terrible idea, but it's the only one that makes any sense for the main clues they've given us. 

I'm still laughing at how they couldn't get DNA from Red at any of the many times they interact with him (including him leaving behind drink glasses with his DNA on them all the time), so instead tested an old shirt of his, because, of course, had they tested Red's actual DNA, it would reveal that he's Katerina. So instead, the characters just do some nonsensical bullshit the keep the idiot plot going. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, preeya said:

On past performances, he should have missed and shot Liz.

I actually think Ressler was aiming at Liz.  He's just that bad of a shot.

And it can not be said enough -- Worst. Hitman. Ever.
How the hell does he rank above the Kings of the Highway ?
Dude leaves evidence all over the place, and allows himself to get hit by a car.  
And how unobservant do you have be to NOT notice Liz in that alley -- WTF ?

Liz barely sheds a tear for her 'friends', but says a little prayer from the back of the Subaru for the half-sister that she barely knows.  Plus, she would only be Lizzie's half sister if Reddington was actually Lizzie's father -- and I'm still not buying that. 

Aram continues to contribute nothing -- like random funeral music choices, how the hell does that come up in conversation with the hotel I.T. guy ?

I rolled back a couple of episodes, and there was no mention at all that Agnes and Mrs. French moved from Norway to the US, let alone D.C.  It was just was to obvious putting her in a private school in the D.C. area using her real first name (not sure where Lizzie got 'Givins' from).

The Reddington/Paula Bingo part was actually amusing -- almost like it was from an entirely better show.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lizzie somehow accidentally killed Lisa Grant in a previous episode. 
And what was with that stupid fakeout with the jogger -- he was probably avoiding dog shit on the sidewalk.

Still no sign or mention of the dogs or Robert Vesco's cat. But things aren't boding well for Sierra the cat -- I suspect Sierra's days are numbered now that Lizzie is under arrest (but who's kidding who, that ain't going to last).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

This show was renewed awhile ago so the sister thing wasn't because of that.  It was just more bad writing like usual.

I did think while her sister dove into Liz's car why she didn't dive all the way down since she knows some guy with a gun is out gunning for Liz and bullets are bound to fly.

I don't under why Bokenkamp and TPTB think that enough people like or care enough about Liz to want to see her be a mini-Red.  Is she still not going to want to kill him since he's betrayed her and killed her mother?  We're supposed to be believe they're going to work together on the other side of the street?  Further proof (not needed) that the creator and writer of this show gave up a long time ago caring about any sort of continuity/credibility in storyline.

20 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's a terrible idea, but it's the only one that makes any sense for the main clues they've given us. 

I'm still laughing at how they couldn't get DNA from Red at any of the many times they interact with him (including him leaving behind drink glasses with his DNA on them all the time), so instead tested an old shirt of his, because, of course, had they tested Red's actual DNA, it would reveal that he's Katerina. So instead, the characters just do some nonsensical bullshit the keep the idiot plot going. 

I don't love the idea of "Red as Katarina," but the "he's actually Lizzie's father" no longer really adds up for me. So, unless the writers go waaaaaaaay off tangent and something else pops up, I've no choice but to think Red is Katerina.

Of course, the writers seem to have forgotten that many of us are still holding on (even if just to hate watch) and we haven't forgotten about past plotlines and characters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Surrealist said:

I don't love the idea of "Red as Katarina," but the "he's actually Lizzie's father" no longer really adds up for me. So, unless the writers go waaaaaaaay off tangent and something else pops up, I've no choice but to think Red is Katerina.

Of course, the writers seem to have forgotten that many of us are still holding on (even if just to hate watch) and we haven't forgotten about past plotlines and characters.

The shocking thing is that "Red is Katarina" was a popular theory, like, in Season ONE, so it's funny how we've been dealing with nonsense for almost a DECADE! 

• LOL 2

Master criminal Liz, whose motivations I still can't  figure out, gets everyone around her killed and is too dumb not to go home. Even the book zRessler figured out she'd be tracked.

Maybe the writers hate her too.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 8:40 PM, redfish said:

At least the weasel lawyer that had helped Liz is dead. He looks like he was developing a crush on her (really? Her power of persuasion is that good?)

Of course! Everyone is in love with Lizzie! I knew he was dead as soon as she thanked him.

What did Skip say when Worst Hitman Ever asked him where Liz was? I didn't understand a word. I still can't believe the idiot didn't just wait for her to come back from the roof.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Neiman said:

I think the “Red is Katerina”idea is absolutely ridiculous. No way.

Oh come on.  The whole show is ridiculous.  I never cared about Red's relationship to Liz.  She's always been my least favorite character so building this mystery/mythology around her has been ludicrous.  I've always been of the opinion that I didn't want Red to have any sort of blood relationship to her.

• Love 2

Pure garbage writing. Does anyone here actually have ANY feeling for keen?  The idiot gets everybody around her killed.  

And if Harold gives her to red, I’m done.  Not sure why he even answers the phone when red calls.

btw who was Ressler on the phone to when they were arresting keen?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, CaptainE said:

btw who was Ressler on the phone to when they were arresting keen?

He called me. Childishly bragging he can hit a target, he's not a joke and wants respect! I told him "He was right in front of you. Stevie Wonder can make that shot. You still SUCK!" and hung up the phone!

On 5/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, Surrealist said:

She already stole most of his money to maintain a life on the run

I'm hoping Skip died with all the passwords/access codes to the bank accounts and didn't write them down for Liz to find.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I'm hoping Skip died with all the passwords/access codes to the bank accounts and didn't write them down for Liz to find.

I would laugh myself into an early death if this happened.

• LOL 1
56 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I would laugh myself into an early death if this happened.

I want Liz to be in the post office - where everyone is, of course treating her with kid gloves.  I then want a special delivery package to arrive.  It is a picture of Red, Dembe, Agnes, the 3 dogs, and the 2 cats frolicking on a beach (they were at least humane enough to get his daughter's cat - I'm sure Liz hasn't given it a thought.)  Mrs. French is with them - she was really pissed that Liz is such a shitty mother and decided to join them on vacation.

• LOL 4
14 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

It is a picture of Red, Dembe, Agnes, the 3 dogs, and the 2 cats frolicking on a beach

Liz will know the photo is fake... she killed the dogs years ago...paid Mr. Kaplan to dump the bodies...

• LOL 3

Liz is so dumb.  She makes stupid move after stupid move, getting everyone around her killed, and I'm sure in her mind this is still all Reddington's fault.  I realize he's a dick and never gives enough info, but if she'd just listen to him the bodies wouldn't be piling up so high around her.  

I forgot this was a show I watch and got more than 6 episodes behind, so I had to pay $1.99 to watch Captain Kidd so I could catch up.  I guess Lizzie isn't the only dumb one.

• LOL 1
On 5/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Liz is so dumb.  She makes stupid move after stupid move, getting everyone around her killed, and I'm sure in her mind this is still all Reddington's fault.  I realize he's a dick and never gives enough info, but if she'd just listen to him the bodies wouldn't be piling up so high around her.  

Red IS a dick about his secrets, but yes, it's staggering when you realize how many people have died simply because Red has a secret that Liz really, really wants to know. It's so unbearably childish. "Liz, how many people have to die because of this?" "I really, really want to know!" (I know that since that point, her "mother" got involved and then Red killed her, so that's her new drive, but it's all really based on "You won't tell me your background and I will let multiple people die to find it out.").

• Love 5

I was shocked by how Megan Boone could not show sadness, or really any emotion, about all of the deaths.  Her "break-down" after the hitman was killed was really laughable.  Horrible "mastermind" and I couldn't believe the accolades she received about being clever and dangerous.

17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I was shocked by how Megan Boone could not show sadness, or really any emotion, about all of the deaths.  Her "break-down" after the hitman was killed was really laughable.  Horrible "mastermind" and I couldn't believe the accolades she received about being clever and dangerous.

But were the accolades coming from Ressler and Aram?  Because comparatively it would be true.

• LOL 1