Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: The End/S11.E16: Justifies The Means

DanaK
  • Start Topic

"The End" - Shockwaves ripple through the Reagan family when Danny discovers that their newest family member, Joe Hill (Will Hochman)
, is working undercover for the ATF to bring down a gunrunning organization, in the first part of the two-hour 11th season finale of BLUE BLOODS, at a special time, Friday, May 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Guest stars include Gloria Reuben as Special Agent Rachel Weber and Annabella Sciorra as M.E. Faith Marconi.

THE REAGANS BAND TOGETHER TO PREVENT JOE HILL FROM BEING KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY LIKE HIS FATHER WHEN THEY FEAR JOE'S COVER HAS BEEN BLOWN WITHIN THE GUNRUNNING ORGANIZATION HE'S WORKING TO BRING DOWN, ON "BLUE BLOODS," FRIDAY, MAY 14

Gloria Reuben Guest Stars as Special Agent Rachel Weber

"Justifies The Means" - The Reagans band together to prevent Joe Hill from being killed in the line of duty like his father when they fear Joe's cover has been blown within the gunrunning outfit he's helping the ATF bring down, in the second part of the two-hour 11th season finale of BLUE BLOODS, Friday, May 14 (10:00-11:00 PM ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Gloria Reuben guest stars as Special Agent Rachel Weber.

Read more: Listings - BLUE BLOODS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.comhttp://thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210506cbs19/&date=05/14/2021&filter=premieres#ixzz6utx0Eoxd

(edited)

Fantastic 2 hour finale. Very, very different from the usual episode. Given it was one story, I can see why they played the 2 episodes together. A TV critic called it a tense finale, playing like a 2 hour movie, and he was right

I'm a little confused who the guy was who attacked Joe and the other guy at the motel and Joe shot him in the knees. Wasn’t he a Georgia cop or ATF guy that Erin interacted with a couple of times earlier?

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Wasn’t he a Georgia cop or ATF guy that Erin interacted with a couple of times earlier?

It turned out that he was actually no longer with the ATF (I forget who discovered that), so apparently he’d joined the bad guys. 

Edited by Kleav
  • Love 4

I think it would have been great if, just before the climax, Frank had agreed to go with the ATF agent. Then in the next scene, we would have seen Frank wearing a Hawaiian shirt, getting onto a colorful helicopter.

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
(edited)

This two-part finale was excellent. It made up for the previous few episodes, and IMO, the best season finale since S8. 

When we met Joe Hill at the end of last season, I was hoping that Will Hochman would be joining the cast this season. After a few episodes at the beginning of the season, he disappears, only to resurface for these last two episodes. The story was compelling, and I loved all of Joe’s clues to his brothers as to his whereabouts. The callbacks to the demise of Joe Reagan, Jamie’s previous two stints working undercover, and Danny’s service as a Marine in Fallujah were subtle yet strong enough to engage this long-time Blue Bloods viewer. Gloria Reuben was outstanding as ATF Special Agent Weber, as well as the other guest stars. 

I was surprised to learn that the writers for the two episodes were not the same. The two parts were integrated seamlessly. The pacing was tight, and there were enough twists to keep me engaged. 

It would have been nice to see both Nikki and Jack finally meeting their cousin Joe. But truth be told, it would have been inauthentic/ implausible for Nikki to hop a red-eye from SF and Jack to leave school (finals) for this reunion.  

Well done, Blue Bloods. After last week, I was questioning as to whether I’d return for S12. After these two eps., the answer is now “yes”. 

Edited by kurtz
Autocorrect typo
  • Love 8

The bad: it's still WAAAAAY too dark in the scenes.

The fanwalk: how the ATF didn't know that Joe Hill was Frank's grandson given that he made the papers.  Joe said he was approached, Frank signed off on it, but no one thought to Google him? 

The funny: several people saying "How many Reagans ARE there?" 

The good: the rest of the show. 

This is what happens when the EP is told "So you're doing a 2 hour finale" and in their head they think this could be a signal that the show is ending. https://deadline.com/2021/05/blue-bloods-spoilers-recap-season-finale-tom-selleck-kevin-wade-interview-cbs-1234756119/ You go all out with guns literally blazing.  And it worked.   One story that pulled the 5 main leads in together, with the main supporting characters to actually support. Stakes being raised at every ad break.  Sympathetic to the character who died and that his crepes place won't happen.  Call back to earlier storylines and in some ways, making it right.  (Oh Blue Templar, what could have been until you were sidelined for half of season 1 then suddenly remembered and shoehorned in at the last minute and throwing aside key plot points with it.) 

I know with Covid, things had to change in the writing and execution and the show suffered for it (not to mention some plots were SO STUPID.)  But these were 2, if not the best, episodes of the entire series. 

• Love 5

Wow! Yes, like a Blue Bloods movie. Loved seeing everyone involved in one story.

I'll probably need to rewatch to really figure it out - lots of characters, sometimes changing sides.

I also saw a 'Danny in Fallujah' moment there. 

So, three questions:

What did Danny whisper to Joe when they met? "Do me?" - that doesn't sound right.

When Danny and Jamie go to psycho guy's apartment and shady landlord says he's gone - they just believe him? and they don't want to see the apartment? And that's the apartment Erin and Anthony broke into later?

And the bad guys that got away - any problem there? Everyone's just back to dinner. Guess it's ATF's problem.

But my questions are not criticisms - I probably missed the explanations. Classic episode.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

This is what happens when the EP is told "So you're doing a 2 hour finale" and in their head they think this could be a signal that the show is ending.

More two episodes for the finale on the same night, not that they necessarily had to be about the same thing. That kind of blew my mind a little though that CBS would demand such a specific thing, especially in such a topsy turvy season. Given normal stuff and then with the pandemic, what if they didn't have exactly 2 episodes left by the specific date?

I did very much appreciate that they decided to go with one story and a two hour finale. Made for a different finale than usual for this show and it was done really well.

• Love 4

That was amazing! I loved it all.

Danny walking into Joe's deal and his reaction to being left out. The Hunt after him and everyone's integrated into the one story.

I like Joe, really hope they keep him permanently.

• Love 2
(edited)

Amazing!  I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  Well done, show.

I’m guessing this case isn’t over.  Kenny got away.  So hopefully that means more Joe Hill next season.

And no Eddie pregnancy!  I was shocked they didn’t have that happen this season.

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought for sure that Jamie was screwed when he was sitting in the gas station parking lot and all the bad guys pulled in next to him.

There was that huuuuuge scene at the beginning about how Joe's "brother" Jimmy drove a 71 Chevelle and Kenny is standing there, within feet of a 71 Chevelle, while chasing after Joe, and its as if it and Jamie were completely invisible. It's not as if the car is subtle.  

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 4

This episode was fantastic. I had forgotten the series could be this good. I thought it was strange for them to introduce Joe Hill and then write him off so soon after, but this was a great way to bring him back. I hope he becomes a full time cast member. Casting did an excellent job, because Joe looks a little like Jamie. 

The problem isn't that the show has too many characters, it's that it inists on giving each thier own story. It makes sense to have Frank off in his own story, but the others work best when they are in each others stories. The best part of the episode was seeing everyone work together on different parts of the same case. The show should do more of that. 

I didn't realize how much I wanted Jamie and Danny off on an adventure until I saw it. These two need to work together again next season. I loved seeing Danny realize/admit that Jamie is a future police commissioner. Danny admitting weakness is huge.

• Love 5
(edited)

Great finale!  I loved watching Danny and Jamie working together.   I didn't miss having 4 individually (and inadquately) developed  storylines.  I loved seeing everyone work on the same case.  

Well done CBS!

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

I was sort of hoping Jamie would take a bullet or two so that the Jamie/Eddie storyline could be put to rest.

Not really interested in Joe Hill. I understand the importance of family, but that storyline is just not interesting to me. Although he’s a well decorated cop, I’m not a fan. 

• Love 1

Loved every minute of it. They obviously saved the best they could do with this season for the ender. My favorite ender was when they all went to the shore on vacation. So realistic, the kids have fun (making memories) but it doesn’t live up to the adults’ expectations (based on their memories). 

2021, Tailing for Dummies , Anthony D

Speaking of mafia dons, Pops came off sounding like one during his “I can’t take one more funeral” monologue. 

If Blue Bloods didn't exist as a TV series, this story would have been a fantastic stand-alone feature film.

A couple of minor procedural inconsistencies aside this was an excellent finale. My minor gripe was getting a search warrant for Max's apartment--that would have been done automatically without incident, and the team believing the apartment manager and not going upstairs to check.  Minor quibbles that I gladly handwaved for the excellent script(s), acting, direction, and pacing. This time I didn't even mind the dark lighting--it made tense scenes even more palpably visceral. Kudos to everybody for pulling this off magnificently, and here's hoping Joe Hill is back for S12.

• Love 4

The problem with bringing Joe Hill back is that it just dilutes the main cast; it’s bad enough when we get 3-4 storylines per week that barely allow characters to get meaningful screen time. Add him and what, one set of characters gets a week off when Joe gets a story?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Msample said:

The problem with bringing Joe Hill back is that it just dilutes the main cast; it’s bad enough when we get 3-4 storylines per week that barely allow characters to get meaningful screen time. Add him and what, one set of characters gets a week off when Joe gets a story?

OK.  IMHO they can give Erin and Eddie some time off.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

I'm all for no Eddie and Joe instead. lol Considering he doesn't mind shooting people in the knees, would be interesting to see him and Danny out together.

• Love 5

I’ve liked Blue Bloods because Frank has kept it classy. Grandson Joe firing multiple bullets at a guy’s feet just to get him to talk is not my idea of good writing or a character I want to get to know. 

36 minutes ago, Neiman said:

I’ve liked Blue Bloods because Frank has kept it classy. Grandson Joe firing multiple bullets at a guy’s feet just to get him to talk is not my idea of good writing or a character I want to get to know. 

At that moment, Joe is still undercover, and he’s dealing with someone who he knows has information that he needs. These two episodes are the first where we get an idea of how both Joe and his late father tick. That opens up all sorts of storytelling about the family. And not yet mentioned Sean and his siblings are Joe’s cousins. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I'm all for no Eddie and Joe instead. lol Considering he doesn't mind shooting people in the knees, would be interesting to see him and Danny out together.

I thought of that when he shot the guy.  Thanks for reminding me.

I'd love nto see them team up.

42 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

At that moment, Joe is still undercover, and he’s dealing with someone who he knows has information that he needs. These two episodes are the first where we get an idea of how both Joe and his late father tick. That opens up all sorts of storytelling about the family. And not yet mentioned Sean and his siblings are Joe’s cousins. 

Any undercover cop shooting multiple times at a person just to get him to talk is not my idea of good storytelling and not a character that I want to get to know.

I don’t think we’ll see Joe as a regular; the executive producer indicated in an interview that the actor is busy and in demand when asked if Joe would be a regular, which reads as a no

I do think there should maybe be one less storyline of the week, ie 2 or 3 instead of 4

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Artsda said:

“Why the knees?” “I heard there was a man in a suit that was shooting people in the knees that the NYPD had a hard time finding about a decade ago…” (God how I miss Person of Interest.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

They could have Joe join ATF and make a couple of guest appearances per season with a strong story line.  I can't see how he would fit in as a regular.  I also think they should kill off Eddie.  The actress and "Jamie" have zero on-screen chemistry.  She looks out of place at the dinner table.  The character doesn't add anything to the show that I can see.   They didn't even televise the wedding!  (Or did I sleep through it?)

I guess it is time to retire this show.  I have watched it from the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  But it's losing steam and bordering on boredom.  Like Seinfeld, I think they should go out while still in the top 10.  Don't wait until the audience looses interest and is cancelled.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

They could have Joe join ATF and make a couple of guest appearances per season with a strong story line.  I can't see how he would fit in as a regular.  I also think they should kill off Eddie.  The actress and "Jamie" have zero on-screen chemistry.  She looks out of place at the dinner table.  The character doesn't add anything to the show that I can see.   They didn't even televise the wedding!  (Or did I sleep through it?)

I guess it is time to retire this show.  I have watched it from the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  But it's losing steam and bordering on boredom.  Like Seinfeld, I think they should go out while still in the top 10.  Don't wait until the audience looses interest and is cancelled.

I still don't understand why we only got to see a minute of the wedding.   It was such a disappointment.

I agree that it's time to retire the show and think S12 will be the last.  The only thing Tom Selleck does in an episode is pontificate from behind his desk and he's getting annoying.   Sunday dinners lost their "intimacy" when they killed off Linda.   it's just not as good as it was.   The good news is that this week's season finale was awesome!  I loved it.

• Love 1

I always thought Linda was out of place at the dinner table. Never could figure out what Danny saw in her. So annoying.

I wouldn’t mind it if they brought Erin’s ex back to the dinner table, though, but keep daughter Nikki away.

Would also like to see Anthony at the dinner table. ❤️😂

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Neiman said:

I always thought Linda was out of place at the dinner table. Never could figure out what Danny saw in her. So annoying.

I didn't like her either.  I saw the actress recently on a Law & Order episode and I didn't like her there either and she was supposed to be a sympathetic character.

10 hours ago, Neiman said:

I wouldn’t mind it if they brought Erin’s ex back to the dinner table, though, but keep daughter Nikki away.

Yes to this too.  I like Peter Hermann and I think he has strong chemistry with Bridget Moynahan.  

• Love 1
On 5/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, Evagirl said:

They could have Joe join ATF and make a couple of guest appearances per season with a strong story line. 

I love that idea. Having him join ATF and working far enough away from DC would explain why he cannot attend family dinner every Sunday night. At the same time, it would require/allow him work cases that occasionaly bring him to New York, so that once or twice a season he's in the episode and comes to family dinner when he's in New York. 

On 5/15/2021 at 2:46 PM, GussieK said:

I felt so bad that Ty didn’t make it.  I thought they would serve crepes at Sunday dinner. 

Why in the world did they go through all of the trouble to keep Ty alive for almost the entire two-hour episode to have him killed off a couple of minutes before the end? Such a narrative waste.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, theschnauzers said:

No he was not undercover at that moment.  He’d already told the guy he was a cop back at the hotel. 

On 5/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, bichonblitz said:

Great casting with Will Hochman. He really looks like he could be a Reagan

I was trying to figure out who he reminds me of and then it came to me - he’s the result if Michael Phelps and Eli Manning procreated!

• Love 1