Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Unemployment

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, watch then post.  Do not discuss your dreams for what should have been covered, speculations or personal politics. 

• Start Topic

Main topic: Unemployment

Also: Milwaukee Bucks hand sanitizer jizz cam; reduced Covid restrictions in Texas and Maine; FBI Director testimony on the Capitol raid; Fox News claims of "cancelling" Dr. Seuss; Neil Cavuto really loves Adele; Rachael Ray's baking trauma

Original air date: 2021.03.07 

The description of Rick Scott as a "Slenderman understudy" cracked me up. 

Speaking of Scott, I remember a segment on "The Daily Show" once where Aasif Mavdvi was reporting on the state's demand that people who try and apply for welfare must take a drug test before doing so, because it's taxpayer funds, and, as the reasoning went, taxpayers wouldn't be happy knowing their taxes were going to benefit someone who would waste that money on drugs. So Mandvi suggested that hey, by that logic, people like Scott should take drug tests, too, since, y'know, we taxpayers are the ones paying their salaries. He actually asked Scott point blank during a press conference to take a drug test. 

I know this will come as a total shock to people, but Scott declined. 

But ugh, god, I am so fucking sick and tired of the talking point that people who get unemployment benefits are going to be less motivated to go find work because they're getting checks every week, or that they should all be required to take these ridiculous tests just to get the necessary funds. Every single time I hear someone spout that nonsense I want them to come talk to my mom. I want them to come with me in a time machine back in time to when my parents struggled and had to rely on unemployment benefits, and see how they handled that. And then I want to tell them to shut. The fuck. Up. 

Ingraham's comments were especially appalling. You know what I would do if I saw someone who was hungry? Help them. It's called compassion. She should try it sometime. I'm not even going to get into whatever the hell Carlson was ranting on about.

But yeah, seeing those long lines in the midst of a pandemic that was then just starting up, knowing there were very likely some people in those lines who later got sick with the virus, was especially depressing. What the hell is wrong with this country? We're called the United States for a reason, we need to start actually acting like it.

Speaking of the virus, man, so Texas leaders really are out here just trying to double down on their poor decision making lately, aren't they? Good lord. As someone who lives in Iowa and has seen our state politicians making similar decisions throughout this pandemic, the people of Texas have my utmost sympathy.

Rachel Ray may need to see someone to talk about her sister, huh? I want to know who the staffer was who compiled that entire segment of clips together, 'cause wow, that was...a lot of examples :p. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

But ugh, god, I am so fucking sick and tired of the talking point that people who get unemployment benefits are going to be less motivated to go find work because they're getting checks every week, or that they should all be required to take these ridiculous tests just to get the necessary funds. Every single time I hear someone spout that nonsense I want them to come talk to my mom. I want them to come with me in a time machine back in time to when my parents struggled and had to rely on unemployment benefits, and see how they handled that. And then I want to tell them to shut. The fuck. Up. 

Or that come tax filing time, they have to PAY TAXES on the benefits they received. I needed every damn dollar when I was collecting when I was out of work, and so opted not to have it taxed. But had to pay for it when it came to filing my taxes.

Not to mention, I had to continually search for a job and report that I was searching and provide the contact information and names of the places I was searching.

So yeah, they can all just STF RIGHT up and kiss my ass.

• Love 14

That line of thinking is also laughable because of the implication that people who are getting unemployment/welfare are just chilling and enjoying the free money and living it up, which, LOL, no. Anyone who believes that has clearly never actually been on unemployment. 

• Love 10
(edited)

John’s epithet game was on point tonight. In addition to Slenderman understudy Rick Scott we had fearmongering lacrosse injury Tucker Carlson and sentient plantation wedding Laura Ingraham. 

I was appalled up front by the nationwide unemployment recipiency rates, but the Florida stories are truly, truly horrendous. De Santis needs to become unemployed, himself. 

Thank goodness for the levity of the hand sanitizer bukakke and the little girl with the single tear at the end of Rachel Ray.

Edited by ahisma
wtf, autocorrect?
  • Love 13
31 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That line of thinking is also laughable because of the implication that people who are getting unemployment/welfare are just chilling and enjoying the free money and living it up, which, LOL, no. Anyone who believes that has clearly never actually been on unemployment. 

Oh  I wouldn't be too sure of that.  It never fails to surprise me how some people getting government assistance like unemployment can see it as only using what is owed to them based on the taxes they paid but others using it absolutely must be lazy bums living it up on the unemployment and doing drugs.  It's so infuriating.  And frankly, it's expensive to drug test all these people.  Just a colossal waste of money. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Same with SSDI, which you have to have worked to qualify for.  “Those freeloaders are gaming the system and should get off their ass and get a job.  But not my relative, s/he really, really, really needs it!”

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I'm grateful I live in a Blue State that has its shit together regarding unemployment. 

This.

This week in Tucker Carlson: "Fearmongering Lacrosse Injury." Ehh, still partial to "Sentient Polo Mallet."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Great episode. I'd love to see all those who claim everyone on unemployement are just chilling collecting checks to go through the process and have to live on the benefits for a couple months. Come on show us how its an easy process and enough money.

You know its bad when even a group of young Republicans don't clap right away and then clap nervously.

They don't have their facts correct becasue of course not.

Shut up Inghram.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, paigow said:

I forgot the accompanying adjective, but Boat Shoe is the appropos Oliver descriptor for Carlson...

I believe it was human boat shoe. It’s my favorite Tucker insult thus far although they are all quite good. 

• Love 9

I wonder how much pain John goes through covering all this bad stuff. Even if you factor in staff, I'm thinking he still has to scream into a pillow at least twice a month. It gets to a point where sanitizer bukkake is a welcome returning gag at the end. Better than the Baby Merchant singing his song, anyway.

There's not much that I can add that hasn't been said. John's still keeping his nickname game up, so that's good. The Rachael Ray bit was funnier due to the main story we had to endure. Not as off-putting as anchors' love for Pelaton, Adele, etc.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, angelamh66 said:

I believe it was human boat shoe. It’s my favorite Tucker insult thus far although they are all quite good. 

A better one was on that same show when Ollie called Carlson a fearmongering lacrosse injury. Because Carlson looks like the type of preppie douche that played lacrosse at some private school he was attending.

Seems as if Ollie wasn't the only one mocking that ejaculating hand sanitizer. Stephen also brought it up on tonight's LSSC. What were they thinking with that promotion?

I got a big laugh out of that picture of the brother and sister with their "WHAT THE FUCK??!!!" look on their faces!

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'd love to see all those who claim everyone on unemployement are just chilling collecting checks to go through the process and have to live on the benefits for a couple months. Come on show us how its an easy process and enough money.

I don't know if anyone else has been on unemployment insurance, but when I was, and I was still working (adjunct at a community college), you had to fill out a form every 2 weeks where you listed the hours you worked and had to document your job searching activities sufficiently to keep getting the insurance. I would imagine most states have something like that. And this was a blue state.

Not too much of a problem to me because I was applying to beat the band, but I can guess people who don't have my background would find it more difficult. 

I have no doubt in my mind that Tupac (the rapper) is living on the Falklands. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know if anyone else has been on unemployment insurance, but when I was, and I was still working (adjunct at a community college), you had to fill out a form every 2 weeks where you listed the hours you worked and had to document your job searching activities sufficiently to keep getting the insurance.

I lost my job in 2016.  I had to file weekly reports with a list of every place I'd applied, so I could get about 1/7 of what I'd been previously making.  And I received it for the maximum whopping 14 weeks, out of the 11 months it took me to find another job.  Good times.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Good grief, Rachel Ray sure is obsessed with her sister's baking.

So she keeps inviting Cake Boss to tell him the same thing over and over.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

So she keeps inviting Cake Boss to tell him the same thing over and over.....

She should be invited as a guest judge on Nailed It.  She'll feel much better about her baking skills.

Edited by meowmommy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 3/7/2021 at 11:40 PM, Robert Lynch said:

What the heck was that curtsy and thumbs down remark all about from Sinema? 

Was done for the benefit of Minority Leader McConnell.

ETA:  Wisconsin is so bad that, when I lost my job in September, I decided not to collect but to go work part time at Target for the holidays.  Made more money doing that than I would have on unemployment AND all employees get a 10% discount that applies to everything in the store including groceries.

Word was that, even if I filed, it would have been three months before I saw the benefits.

Edited by b2H
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1