Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E07: A Pair of Aces

jewel21
  • Start Topic

I know Amber took medicine or whatever, but she should never have eaten from a cross-contaminated dish in the first place.  One of the blue team should have gone twice.  Also shelling probably wasn’t the best idea either.

Also also, she’s kind of a prat.

Man, I loved Syann.  She was funny and adorable.

• Love 10

I couldn't get over when contestants were yelling out the answers to a taste test challenge without tasting the food! In many cases overruling the contestants who did, in fact, taste the food. I know these aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but this was a taste test challenge, right? Not an "identify food by sight" (which Ramsay already said he disguised) challenge.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I couldn't get over when contestants were yelling out the answers to a taste test challenge without tasting the food! In many cases overruling the contestants who did, in fact, taste the food. I know these aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but this was a taste test challenge, right? Not an "identify food by sight" (which Ramsay already said he disguised) challenge.

Sometimes, with the blue team, the light would turn blue, meaning one protein was right and one was wrong. Then Declan would switch both proteins, and they were yelling at him to go back. The chefs who hadn't tasted the protein were responding to the logic part, not the tasting part.

• Love 7

I think the wrong chef was sent home. Do I think Syanne was going all the way, no. Do I think that of the two who messed up the most, Syann was the only one who did whatRamsey asked, which was to take responsibility for their f up, yes. Has Jordan ever been wrong about anything in her opinion? Has she ever accepted responsibility for her short-comings, no.  IMO, Jordan is the red team’s Mark.

• Love 11

"I still don't think I did anything wrong!" Yeah, that alone tells me you don't win, jackass.

They need to not do seafood stuff with people who have allergies.  Had that been me, I would have refused. There's also no reason they couldn't have plated that protein separately.

• Love 3

I wish Jordan had been sent home rather than Syanne. Also, I sort of agreed with them putting up Kori first. It seems her calling out the next ticket while they were still working on the first one screwed everyone up and resulted in mistakes. I don't know if it's common to call out the next ticket in advance but she should have refrained. 

• Love 4

Although Amber did well with the meats-earning praise from Gordon, she is showing why she shouldn't be the winning chef as she misinterprets a lot of interactions, feels sorry for herself, and doesn't want to work with the blue team.  All of these things will be ramped to 1000 for whoever becomes the executive chef of the Tahoe Hells Kitchen.  Declan showed how overwhelmed he is with all of his mistakes during the challenge.  Cody might be more of a contender than I thought as he gets along well with both teams and tried to help during the challenge (mussels, snapper) even though nobody was listening to him.  

• Love 4

Did I miss something or was this just done so Amber could whine about her shellfish allergy--showing the viewers how she took the allergy medicine after handling all that crab? Because I didn't see them make any crab cakes. Amber kept talking about "200 crab cakes".

This season is such a convoluted confusing mess.

Jordan should have gotten the boot, not Syann. But we got the first Gordon praising a booted contestant as they leave. The next one will probably get a hug or a "my darling".

• Love 1
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Those were clams, not mussels shown in that pork dish.   Bad on the production team that they either don't know what mussels look like or they completely blew it.

It looked like chopped up mussels placed in a clam shell. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Those were clams, not mussels shown in that pork dish.   Bad on the production team that they either don't know what mussels look like or they completely blew it.

5 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

It looked like chopped up mussels placed in a clam shell. 

But Gordon said that he "hid" the ingredients so the contestants had to figure out what they were, so hiding the mussels in the clam shell was...deliberate, no?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Although Amber did well with the meats-earning praise from Gordon, she is showing why she shouldn't be the winning chef as she misinterprets a lot of interactions, feels sorry for herself, and doesn't want to work with the blue team.  All of these things will be ramped to 1000 for whoever becomes the executive chef of the Tahoe Hells Kitchen.  Declan showed how overwhelmed he is with all of his mistakes during the challenge.  Cody might be more of a contender than I thought as he gets along well with both teams and tried to help during the challenge (mussels, snapper) even though nobody was listening to him.  

I've liked Declan so far, so I'm going to assume the time pressure plus having everyone shouting at him just overwhelmed his thinking during the challenge.

Could Amber be any whinier if she tried? FFS, the blue team is NOT out to get you. For one thing, none of them seem like the sabotaging type; for another, Ramsay has a very low opinion of sabotage in the kitchen (in an interview this week, Christina Wilson said the one time she saw Ramsay get genuinely angry at a contestant was a season or two back when Jennifer accused him of sabotaging her dish during dinner service: Jennifer was booted off the show immediately and had to walk out through the full dining room). Ramsay also doesn't like chefs playing favorites: he was openly annoyed with the Red team when they put up Kori, and refused to even consider booting her.

Amber has some skill as a chef, but as you point out, she's showing why she'd be a terrible choice to win this competition.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But we got the first Gordon praising a booted contestant as they leave. The next one will probably get a hug or a "my darling".

It helped that Syann was respectful towards both Gordon and the other chefs when she left.

• Love 5

Amber chasing the guys out to the patio was so embarrassing for her.  I don’t smoke, but every time my coworker went outside for her smoke break, I would tag along (hey, smokers got more breaks than I did, damn straight I’m going outside).

So FFS, maybe Cody just wanted to hang out with Declan and Beardo, did she ever think about that?  He said “smoke?” not “do you want to go outside for a team meeting that we will not invite Amber (or Marc) to?”

• Love 4

I know this probably has been happening since Season One, but I swear, it irks me every time I see it:

How the losing team of a challenge TAKES.IT.PERSONALLY and blames the other team for winning, and act like spoiled brats by not talking to the winners when they get back from wherever they were for their "award". And I don't mean the ones that would rub it in the losers' faces.

I mean, just last night, the blue team gave the red team the cold shoulder when they came back. Adam was the only one who warmed up, and that was because Syann cuddled up to him!

It's petulant, petty, and very toddler-like behavior.

Or maybe production tells them to act like 4-year olds who didn't get the toy they wanted?

• Love 3

So Amber is allergic to shell fish but can identify lobster with one bite?
and she is lucky she didn’t need more than just an allergy pill. She should have just stuck to the protein which should have been served on a separate plate. 
and during prep she should have done the non crab duties. 
and I still want her gone.

• Love 4
On 2/19/2021 at 8:14 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Could Amber be any whinier if she tried? FFS, the blue team is NOT out to get you. For one thing, none of them seem like the sabotaging type; for another, Ramsay has a very low opinion of sabotage in the kitchen (in an interview this week, Christina Wilson said the one time she saw Ramsay get genuinely angry at a contestant was a season or two back when Jennifer accused him of sabotaging her dish during dinner service: Jennifer was booted off the show immediately and had to walk out through the full dining room). Ramsay also doesn't like chefs playing favorites: he was openly annoyed with the Red team when they put up Kori, and refused to even consider booting her.

Amber has some skill as a chef, but as you point out, she's showing why she'd be a terrible choice to win this competition.

Amber has the attitude that she's "God's gift to the culinary world." She's not; not even close.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5

I have been going crazy figuring out what kind of scallops Gordon Ramsay is using? The reason I’m saying this is they look like they’re cut in half.  He is such a fuss pot and a snob in a good way, that there is no way he would serve scallops like that to save money. Has anyone else wondered why they look so flat instead of tall? Please somebody let me know. Thank you.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I didn't see them make any crab cakes. Amber kept talking about "200 crab cakes".

They prepped all the ingredients, so I don’t know that I needed to see them actually assemble the crab cakes- however, I don’t think we saw even one get ordered or cooked.  Like, was Gordon having them do prep for some catering event at Caesars?  Usually a punishment like that is a precursor to a “theme night” like the Italian last week.  Maybe the promo deal with the Vegas Joe’s Crab Shack fell through...

On 2/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, jabRI said:

I thought that reward looked downright dangerous.  Yeah, the rewards do seem a bit lacking this season.

I hope that the surfing... surface(?) was sufficiently padded, because presumably everyone who does that activity wipes out eventually.  Alternatively, maybe the staff members give some kind of instructions on the “right” way to fall.  In any case, I think these types of simulators have been around for a while, so I would hope they are generally safe.

Edited by Chyromaniac
On 2/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, jabRI said:

I thought that reward looked downright dangerous.  Yeah, the rewards do seem a bit lacking this season.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, Chyromaniac said:

I hope that the surfing... surface(?) was sufficiently padded, because presumably everyone who does that activity wipes out eventually.  Alternatively, maybe the staff members give some kind of instructions on the “right” way to fall.  In any case, I think these types of simulators have been around for a while, so I would hope they are generally safe.

I broke my arm two weeks ago falling face-first on some ice, so I was CRINGING watching them fall down.  I ask so almost drowned in a wave pool as a kid, so I was happy to see that the far end of the pool drained quickly so they could stand up and walk away after wiping out...*most* of them with their swimsuits in place (poor Mary Lou...I wonder if she collected any twenny dollah bills from folks that saw her fun bags!?).

2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I broke my arm two weeks ago falling face-first on some ice, so I was CRINGING watching them fall down.  I ask so almost drowned in a wave pool as a kid, so I was happy to see that the far end of the pool drained quickly so they could stand up and walk away after wiping out...*most* of them with their swimsuits in place (poor Mary Lou...I wonder if she collected any twenny dollah bills from folks that saw her fun bags!?).

I've only seen one of those configurations in person . . . on a cruise ship.  Pretty much everyone who tried it fell fairly quickly, and no one seemed to get hurt.  After a knee replacement (and the resulting lack of flexibility now in that joint), I made up my mind I was never going to fall ever again . . . so I didn't even THINK about trying that activity.  (Besides, I was waiting to go ziplining above the wave pool.)

• Love 2