Type keyword(s) to search

The Speculation with Spoilers Saturation

Thanks for moving my post, I didn't mean to spoil folks when linking to the article....just wasn't thinking.

As for the thread title, perhaps some abbreviated version of this quote from physicist Niels Bohr:  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future".  

The changes they're hinting at may make the show worth watching again--I happened to surf past a bunch of old episodes last night and was a little sad at how obsessed I once was with this show and how last season just murdered it for me. They were so locked into tired story lines and the characters were caricatures of all their worst qualities.

So if they're finally making some big changes--that can only help.

• Love 2

I'm all for Penny moving on to bigger and better (looking at you Leonard), but they have spent so much time on how Penny is not the sharpest knife in the drawer that I just don't see her in that job. 

I was hoping they would have had the gorilla movie be uber popular and she became the "star" of a sci-fi series on TV or a movie, being invited to star at Comic Con and all the other "Con" events that the four used to attend.

• Love 1
(edited)

Penny is not the sharpest knife in the drawer that I just don't see her in that job.

My understanding of that job is that it is more important how you look and interact with folks rather than the relative sharpness of your knife.  Which is why I think it makes a lot of sense.  And, why it saddens me when I think of real life implications of how drugs get sold to doctors in the real world.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

Penny's friendship with all the brainiacs will give her enough familiarity with the scientific aspects of the job to at least sound knowledgeable. And it would be great if she actually found she was interested in and learned more about those aspects. But the job really is more about being attractive and personable enough to get in to talk with the doctors. This really is the perfect job for Penny.

Thanks!  I wasn't sure what the job entailed, I guess I thought it was more on the science side and not the looks side which makes me leery now of any samples I get from the GYN going forward ;).

Anybody have a good subtitle for this? I was thinking there was at least one story arc around someone spoiling a movie, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I'm subtitle-less, but there was a plot that centered around Sheldon spoiling Harry Potter for Leonard. In a different episode, Amy ruined Raiders by pointing out a major flaw in the plot. Sheldon then tries to ruin Amy's enjoyment of things she likes: Pride and Prejudice, Marmaduke, Garfield, and Little House on the Prairie. Oh, Sheldon.

• Love 1

I never thought I'd find myself defending the Ken and Barbie Squad (I work in R&D, and on a whole we are smarter but a lot less attractive), but drug reps at least have to have a college degree, preferably in a scientific discipline.  Physicians don't suffer fools gladly, and now that reps aren't allowed to wine and dine the docs, or even hand out pens and other trinkets, they'd better know their shit in order to maximize the few minutes of face time they might get.  Penny's proven to have an ability to memorize a bunch of meaningless (to her) scientific mumbo-jumbo, but the minute the doc asks a question that's not on her memorized FAQ sheet (or phrased in a way that she can't match it up with a canned answer), it will be deer-in-the-headlights time!  Which I guess is where the comedy will come in.  Heh. 

• Love 1

I hope since Howard and Bernadette have learned how to live with a situation like this, that Leonard and Penny will as well. And while I would have preferred her to find success via acting, even if minor, I am glad they are finally going to end this reign of failure that's been going on the last few years.

• Love 1

Pharmacy rep?  I just don't buy it.  Yeah, the job involves looking good--I work in hospitals and I've never seen a pharmacy rep that wasn't dressed incredibly well (dresses for women, suits for men) and weren't good looking.  But they are also educated people.  You usually need at least a bachelor's degree to even get a chance at a job.  Most of the reps I know have at least some experience in healthcare and most have extensive experience in sales.  The field is well paying and incredibly competitive.  A waitress/actress with no education barring a couple of community college classes?  I don't care how pretty Penny is (and considering some of the reps I've seen, she isn't so beautiful she'd be hired for looks alone).

I swear, I wish the people who write these shows would at least google "Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Job ads".  If they did they'd seen most jobs require at least a Bachelors degree.

• Love 1

If Penny can memorize a lengthy technical dismissal of Leonard's work and understand a quantum physics joke with no science background, she's smart enough to learn about the products and pitch them. Outside of academia, you don't need a good resume if you have somebody on the inside who thinks you can do the job, although neither Bernie nor Amy seem to think very highly of Penny's smarts, so maybe Bernie doesn't think highly of that job either.

They are going to give us the TV version of a sales rep not even a slight resemblance of reality (I'm guessing), so it's going to be extremely irritating for any of us with passing knowledge of what the job entails. Her job is going to be designed to create some DRAMA and COMEDY. It does help that Bernie is the one "getting" her the job, again something that stretches the imagination. Wouldn't she still need to interview and convince them she can do the job? Bernie isn't directly hiring her so she's getting her an interview. Basically, pretty Penny convinces them to hire her with no education and no experience. Cause selling cheesecake and selling pharmaceuticals...same same.

TV writers don't know how to write real people's jobs. Even when they have "consultants" working for them.

• Love 1

I'm prepared to go with it. I'm fairly certain random college engineers don't have access to the Mars Rover, scientists don't get to take their three best friends along on expensive research trips to the North Pole, and neurobiologists don't keep smoking monkeys in their apartments. So I don't expect Penny's job to be at all realistic!

• Love 5

I think I'd be more willing to accept Penny as a pharm rep if she hadn't been presented as a total moron (who coasts on her good looks) for the last 2-3 seasons.  But really, any type of job seems to be beyond her now.  Heck, she supposedly can't even use a glue gun.  Her idea of "how to impress" is to take off a coat and reveal her cleavage.  And this is supposed to be somebody who can hold down a professional job?  I don't know.  I used to really love this show but it is going downhill fast.  I think the writers would do better to give her a little success as an actress. 

• Love 1

Basically, pretty Penny convinces them to hire her with no education and no experience. Cause selling cheesecake and selling pharmaceuticals...same same.

It used to be that it pretty much was. A rep would stop by a doctor's office and meet for a few minutes, leaving behind some sales literature and maybe some samples if it was the right type of product, or a pen with the company name on it. I haven't been in a position to see how things work these days, so I have to take folks' word for it that it's different now.

It used to be that it pretty much was. A rep would stop by a doctor's office and meet for a few minutes, leaving behind some sales literature and maybe some samples if it was the right type of product, or a pen with the company name on it. I haven't been in a position to see how things work these days, so I have to take folks' word for it that it's different now.

I am in the electronics industry, and we have sales reps visit us on a regular basis. They all know the jargon, and sometimes can be helpful in providing us with information about emerging technology.

We did have a very pretty female rep who paid us a visit, and believe it or not, her name was Pryia!!

Very much like Penny, in that she was easy on the eyes, but not very knowledgeable about electronics.

This was put out by CBS, so not necessarily a spoiler:

The Big Bang Theory | Monday, Sept. 22
“The Locomotion Interruption” – Leonard and Amy take an unexpected road trip to Arizona to pick up Sheldon. Meanwhile, Penny interviews for a job at Bernadette’s company and Howard is weirded out by Stuart’s relationship with Mrs. Wolowitz.

• Love 3

HyeChaps, thanks for posting that. I'm looking forward to seeing Stuart with Mrs. Wolowitz.

I use to work in the cosmetic industry for a chemical supplier. All of our sales reps had at least 2 degrees & half of them were former bench chemists. If really in depth tech info was asked of them they referred the questions to our tech advisor in the office.

I'm finding Penny becoming a pharmacy sales rep a little difficult to accept.  If she were selling over-the-counter meds (Aspirin, Midol, first aid supplies, etc.) that might be another story.  But in addition to the glad-handing with doctors and pharamacists, doesn't a rep have to keep track of sales, money, etc? 

Slightly OT:  I think I'm fairly intellgent and when my doctor prescribes me (new) medication, I always go on line and read the information from the company available to patients and physicians.  I also attempt to wade through the Wikipedia page, but I tell you, the physician's info and Wikipedia article are hard sledding.  I'm constantly referring to other pages for definitions or a medical dictionary.  Eventually I can get the gist but it's not something I can instantly get.

The reason I'm saying this is because Penny as depicted lately (unable to manage a glue gun or do simple crafts) would hardly be able to know which end of the bottle of pills is the one that opens, let alone anything else. 

I don't take any joy in this analysis; I would love to see her demonstrate hitherto unknown smarts but I don't trust these writers to do that.

Other observations:  according to an article I read, in episode 2 Sheldon becomes a professor.

Great.  Sheldon gets tenure. 

So the chances of Sheldon becoming more tolerable just went into the minus numbers.

*SIgh*

This isn't really a spoiler, but I'll spoiler tag it just in case.  

BTW, found it on Mayim's blog:  http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/mayim-bialik-lets-talk-about-pumpkins-the-big-bang-theory-spoiler-free/

This episode of “Big Bang” we are filming now is big. Big stuff. Fancy eye shadow for me is involved. And wavy hair for the first time since I joined the cast four years ago. It’s sweet. Lots of fanciness. And some great Sheldon and Amy stuff. You’re going to be very surprised. And delighted. That’s all you get…!

This really isn't a spoiler per se, but since it involves an episode yet to air, I thought it best it go here.  I just saw the teaser for this week's (Dec. 11/2014) episode and I suspect that should I remember to watch it, I'm going to hate it.

It looks like Sheldon is going to be an asshole.  Again.

Oh, how I wish that Amy would give it to him good.  As in -- he behaves like a jerk (at Christmas, no less.)  And then...

CUT TO the Emergency Room, and the surgeon is saying, "Wow, I've never seen miseltoe quite so far up there ..."

One can hope.

The show will address Carol Ann Susi's death on the Feb. 19th episode.

Later this month, the hit CBS comedy The Big Bang Theory will say goodbye to Mrs. Wolowitz and, by extension, pay tribute to the unseen character’s late portrayer, Carol Ann Susi.

The tribute will occur on the February 19th episode - The Comic Book Store Regeneration - which will see Howard grappling with shocking news concerning his mother. This turn of events will coincide with the reopening of Stuart’s comic book store — a shop that, much to Howard’s shock and awe, features a new seating area filled with furniture from his mom’s home.

As a side point, the February 19th episode is also the one that will feature Firefly actor Nathan Fillion.

Carol Ann Susi passed away in November from cancer.

• Love 1

From what I've read they are keeping Leonard and Penny together it's just that it's not funny if they're happy happy happy right from the get go!  I'd expect the separation in that title probably means Leonard separating from Sheldon as in actually moving out.  If Sheldon lets him go  - there are probably conditions in the room-mate agreement that Leonard has to meet before Sheldon will accept things.  If he even does then!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3

From what I've read they are keeping Leonard and Penny together it's just that it's not funny if they're happy happy happy right from the get go!  I'd expect the separation in that title probably means Leonard separating from Sheldon as in actually moving out.  If Sheldon lets him go  - there are probably conditions in the room-mate agreement that Leonard has to meet before Sheldon will accept things.  If he even does then!

I'm assuming that there will be some sort of "Best Friends Agreement" that comes into play where Leonard has to agree to still drive Sheldon to work, eat specific genres of food with him on specific nights, watch certain TV shows with Sheldon, and generally behave as if they were still roommates even though Leonard will now be living with Penny.  Or a joint custody agreement between Sheldon and Penny where Sheldon gets Leonard every weekend, alternate Wednesdays, Comic Con, and every Saturnalia.  

Edited by Indy
  • Love 4

I wonder if they will do a show incorporating the premiere of the new Star Wars movie?  Given that they are fans of the franchise, and it seems to be big news that The Force Awakens is being released, I can't help but think there will be some mention of it. 

There are so many ways the show could go with Shamy sex. It could be awkward, it could make them an official couple again, it could turn one or both into sex fiends. I'm guessing option c. And that both will be oversharers.

Bleh. I don't like this but I hope they treat it with respect (I don't have much hope.)  I don't like how they treated Sheldon's lack of sex drive like it was some kind of deficiency and something he had to overcome. 

• Love 9

There's only one way I'd be okay with Shamy Sex.

IF THEY DON'T SHOW IT!!!! PLEASE TV Gods. DO NOT SHOW IT!!!

All Iwant is a MENTION THE NEXT DAY!!! Sheldon (fully dressed!!!) leaving Amy's apartment at 5am in order to get home before the Lenny gets up but gets caught. So he explains. "We had sex/made love/but knowing sheldon? We engaged in coitus"

And HIlarity ensues.

Nobody wants to see them in bed together, and Myim, being an ultra orthodox Jew, would never do that (please God, let her not DO that!)

• Love 3

What I want to know is what will the Shamy sex agreement** be like?  ;-).  For me, this is actually more scary than them having sex!

**see roommate agreement

Nobody wants to see them in bed together, and Myim, being an ultra orthodox Jew, would never do that (please God, let her not DO that!)

I suspect oversexed Amy's general behavior is outside of what Mayim would do in real life already.  I suspect Mayim figures it's acting.

Edited by TWP

Ahhh...I don't want to see them in bed together! Some things should be left to the imagination, and for the powers that be to put the shamy in bed together and invite the audience to watch, to me, is disrespectful of the characters...well....CHARACTER. I'd rather it was "implied" and not shown.

When it comes to those two, who are so ultra conservative they won't even show an inch of skin (2 t-shirts for sheldon even), to see them naked, in bed, breathing hard and disheveled, to me, is just...no.

I'd rather the sex was implied. I don't even want to see them fully dressed, heading for the bedroom. I'd rather see them kissing like crazy, cut to commercial, come back and he's leaving her apartment or they're having breakfast or something like that.

Can you tell this bothers me?

• Love 3

Well I'll be counting on the good people here to let me know what happens in that episode before I even begin to watch it!  I agree with others posting above, there are some things I do not want to see!

• Love 2

I read the taping report, and I'm... actually pretty impressed with how they handled it. It was very true to the characters (Sheldon making sure he has consent, both admitting they're nervous & not sure how this is going to go down) and felt very realistic, even just reading it. I like they they're both sort of putting the emphasis on the discovery of it all, not so much on the destination.

And I'm also really surprised Mayim allowed bare shoulders (and an above the knee nightgown!).

Here is a link to the taping report, which full details.

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 3

The taping report sounds amazing. Not just the fact that they had sex but that Sheldon actually acts thoughtful

by skipping the STAR WARS PREMIERE to be with Amy on her birthday

, something that would have been unthinkable to him years ago. That's a HUGE step forward for him. Gold star, Dr. COOPER!

Also yay to Jedi ghost Proton coming back!

• Love 1

I read the taping report, and I'm... actually pretty impressed with how they handled it. It was very true to the characters (Sheldon making sure he has consent, both admitting they're nervous & not sure how this is going to go down) and felt very realistic, even just reading it. I like they they're both sort of putting the emphasis on the discovery of it all, not so much on the destination.

And I'm also really surprised Mayim allowed bare shoulders (and an above the knee nightgown!).

Here is a link to the taping report, which full details.

I just read it, and I think it sounds perfect. I can't wait to see the episode!

• Love 3