Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

dubbel zout

S01.E04: The Sac

Recommended Posts

Quote

A special assignment forces Jayden and Arpi to get to know each other; Neil sets out on a mission to reconnect with Orly after she gets into a little trouble.

Airs 1/21/21.

Share this post


Link to post

I laughed out loud at the Alexa reveal.  The whole Sacramento plot tickled me.  But I didn’t love the “make a fake Instagram to spy on the daughter” part.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

The alexa reveal was funny

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I laughed out loud at the Alexa reveal.  The whole Sacramento plot tickled me.  But I didn’t love the “make a fake Instagram to spy on the daughter” part.

I thought just the opposite.  Like the part with ted danson and his daughter but not the sacramento part. 

Share this post


Link to post

I remain glad Vella Lovell is on my TV screen again and the rest of the cast is great. How could Danson not be? I'm impressed as hell with Holly Hunter. She's a riot, and her character is interesting. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I like Ted Danson in most anything he does.  Bobby Moynihan is funny and I enjoy his goofiness.  Holly Hunter is worrying me.  I think she is a good actress, and “Raising Arizona “ and “Broadcast News” were both good comedic movies for her IMO.  I liked her in “Succession” as well.  But this character is....not great.  I get that she’s supposed to be an over zealous public servant who is committed to doing right be her city and community, in the same way Leslie Knope  was on “Parks and Rec”.  But HH’s acting seems too over the top or forced here.  Maybe it will settle in after a few more episodes?  Even “Parks and Rec” had growing pains and character changes from its 1st season. 

I don’t like the Mayor’s staff at all.  The juxtaposition of millennials and the unhip, 70 year old fuddy duddy  isn’t new. Or funny.  I don’t want to keep seeing those two (I do not know their names) act like whining middle/high schoolers every single week.  Yes, this is a comedy, but there must be other humorous avenues to explore for these characters other than stereotypical tropes of twenty-somethings are vain/immature/incompetent. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I still don't find holly hunter funny in this.  

But it occurred to me maybe part is on the writers.  They've given her no personality or interests outside her job.  They even wrote this episode and had the perfect chance to do so and still she is just kind of a generic character with nothing we know or care about with her besides her politics.  

Overall still underwhelmed by the show

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm enjoying this show more than I thought I would, but the Mayor's 2 assistants are the weak part for me.  I'm still not sure, after 4 episodes, if the Chief-of-Staff is supposed to sound like a teenage Valley Girl or if it's just the actress herself.  Either way, she doesn't sound like a professional or an adult.  The young guy is equally bad in this regard.

The questions/answers asked on the ride to Sacramento were hilarious!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this episode. I went in thinking, if this one wasn’t stronger, I’d delete it from my DVR.

The makeup artist needs to adjust Ted Danson’s foundation and powder hue.

Laughed at Bobby Moynihan telling the mayor that he was asking for his advice only because he can’t keep the pace with anyone else.

Liked the Icebreakers and Arpi’s QUICK responses.

Still don’t like Michaela/Mikayla.

Liked the water on top of yoghurt joke.

Liked the American Girl, puberty, disgusting joke. 

Liked Arpi listing “sacrifice” as important for friendship.

Liked bran flakes are high in sodium joke.

 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Arpi? Orly? What's with the names on this show? I can get past Mikaela and Jayden - they sound like fairly typical millennial names, but I've never heard of the names Arpi or Orly before.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

but I've never heard of the names Arpi or Orly before.

No idea about Arpi, but Orly was named after the airport where she was conceived (I think?).  They talked about Orly's name in the first ep.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Gregg247 said:

I'm still not sure, after 4 episodes, if the Chief-of-Staff is supposed to sound like a teenage Valley Girl or if it's just the actress herself. 

It’s the actor; Vella Lovell has quite the vocal fry.

This ep was better, but the show overall is still weak. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I laughed way too hard at the "Now I know that her biggest regret in life is that she accidentally clapped when the Challenger exploded" line. Also when Arpi asked Jayden who he'd want to have a dinner party with and he said, "Batman and Batman's parents. Just because I feel like Batman would really appreciate that."

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

I thought that was the funniest episode yet, both plots worked really well for me. I especially thought Neil and his male staffer making a super basic fake Instagram was hilarious. That Sacramento plot was good too, the Alexa bit at the start was a real highlight of the show so far. 

"Nancy!"

"No one under sixty is named Nancy."

"Aisha!"

"Sir, please stay in your lane." 

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JenLily said:

I laughed way too hard at the "Now I know that her biggest regret in life is that she accidentally clapped when the Challenger exploded" line. Also when Arpi asked Jayden who he'd want to have a dinner party with and he said, "Batman and Batman's parents. Just because I feel like Batman would really appreciate that."

You’re good! Two jokes I forgot but was going to rewatch to catch.
 

That was really sweet, right? Now I know for future reference that I can do that.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought that was the funniest episode yet, both plots worked really well for me. I especially thought Neil and his male staffer making a super basic fake Instagram was hilarious. That Sacramento plot was good too, the Alexa bit at the start was a real highlight of the show so far. 

"Nancy!"

"No one under sixty is named Nancy."

"Aisha!"

"Sir, please stay in your lane." 

I am dumb. Please explain the Alexa joke with the neighbor. Thank you.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

It bothered me that Jayden ate the cookie instead of just turning Arpi around so that she couldn't see the cookie. Was that explained in some throw-away joke that i missed?

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am dumb. Please explain the Alexa joke with the neighbor. Thank you.

People who have an Amazon home assistant say "Hey Alexa,..." when they want to get an answer from it or have it play the radio.

At the start of that bit I thought 'Arpi wouldn't have an Alexa,' and sure enough.  This was still a bit of a mixed bag but there were some great one off bits.  The male assistant looking super focused when he just sat down, took that woman's plate of food, arranged it, and photographed it. The aforementioned "AF" definition.  And dinner with Batman and Batman's parents is the best response I've every heard to that question.

 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, appositival said:

It bothered me that Jayden ate the cookie instead of just turning Arpi around so that she couldn't see the cookie. Was that explained in some throw-away joke that i missed?

Since Arpi was afraid of holes, just knowing that the large blueberry pancake was behind her would have the same effect as if she was staring right at it. She wouldn't be able to concentrate to make her pitch and it was the most important meeting of her political career.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the irritated look Arpi gives Jayden when he corrects her on the year of the JB film.

I loved Jayden telling his life story, counting on his fingers, “‘We hate this one,’ the orphanage said....”

Mikayla was so cringy reacting to the Emma account.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite line from this episode was when Orly asked her Dad if he was ok, and he answered "I'm mad fine". 


I really like this show, except for Holly Hunter - she's not funny, and her character seems so out of place. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/22/2021 at 5:56 AM, BusyOctober said:

I don’t like the Mayor’s staff at all.  The juxtaposition of millennials and the unhip, 70 year old fuddy duddy  isn’t new. Or funny.  I don’t want to keep seeing those two (I do not know their names) act like whining middle/high schoolers every single week.  Yes, this is a comedy, but there must be other humorous avenues to explore for these characters other than stereotypical tropes of twenty-somethings are vain/immature/incompetent. 

I agree! I don't know who I dislike more the staff or bratty daughter.

I liked the questions/answers on the road trip. Except for the 4 minute stare contest, NO.

The Alexa neighbor, dumb!

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the name was R.P.    Arpi is weird. Don't like the charachter. 

Did Kyla Kennedy get work done already? I was just watching Speechless, then switched to this.  The change was jarring. I know she has grown, etc...but her lips looked weird and something was off. She doesn't need work! She is a beautiful girl as is. Hollywood sucks. 

I don't like the Mayor's 2 helpers at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I thought Holly Hunter's character was named R.B.  Is it actually "Arpi"/"Arbi"?

The name in the description of this episode says "Arpi" those usually come straight from the network.

Share this post


Link to post

Arpi was thrilled to take Andi MacDowell's monogrammed bag because they had the same initials.

I like Holly Hunter's character, but not her.  But I'm attributing everything I don't like about it to my dislike of her.  A lot of the over the top stuff reads true to me, there are a lot of ridiculous people in LA politics.  My least favorite character is Mikaela.

There were so many funny lines this episode.  "Because fires we've got." The slams on the principal/teacher and Orly's face at Ted Danson when he's laughing at them.  "I made her move into an old house outside of Sugarfish's delivery zone" broke me even if it isn't true.

The two driving to Sac was dumb.  It's a very quick and inexpensive flight. It would actually be cheaper for them to fly.  Especially when you factor in that if they flew they wouldn't need a hotel.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Arpi was thrilled to take Andi MacDowell's monogrammed bag because they had the same initials.

 

Oh!! Duh. That makes sense now! I thought she was being sarcastic since I thought she was R P. 😄

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they would show that the Mayor has some level of shrewdness rather than just totally out of touch as they portrayed him as a retired successful businessperson.  If they wanted to have him be out of touch, have him win the lottery or inherit a fortune.  But, if he made his millions himself, he would have some business savvy.  Have him be out of touch with his daughter or social media, but not everything.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/22/2021 at 11:51 PM, AnimeMania said:

Since Arpi was afraid of holes, just knowing that the large blueberry pancake was behind her would have the same effect as if she was staring right at it. She wouldn't be able to concentrate to make her pitch and it was the most important meeting of her political career.

Yes. I I have this and just thinking about the holes (right now🤢😖)makes me want to puke and sleeves  me out for lack of a better word. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/22/2021 at 1:20 PM, Browncoat said:

No idea about Arpi, but Orly was named after the airport where she was conceived (I think?).  They talked about Orly's name in the first ep.

It's an airport in France.  "Orli" is a not-uncommon first name meaning "my light" in Hebrew, and at first, I thought they were making the mayor/his daughter Jewish.

I thought that Orly's "defenses" of Ms. Adams were passive-aggressive insults.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

The name in the description of this episode says "Arpi" those usually come straight from the network.

She introduced herself to the Governor as Arpilene.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:54 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

The makeup artist needs to adjust Ted Danson’s foundation and powder hue.

He's way too orange.

10 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Yes. I I have this and just thinking about the holes (right now🤢😖)makes me want to puke and sleeves  me out for lack of a better word. 

"Skeeves" would be a better word!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2021 at 9:40 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's an airport in France.  "Orli" is a not-uncommon first name meaning "my light" in Hebrew, and at first, I thought they were making the mayor/his daughter Jewish.

I thought that Orly's "defenses" of Ms. Adams were passive-aggressive insults.

She introduced herself to the Governor as Arpilene.

He's way too orange.

"Skeeves" would be a better word!

Ha! That’s what I wrote until it automatically changed!!😃

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size