Type keyword(s) to search

S15 E08: We Have a Team

ByTor
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Ena355 said:

The whole audition process and being cut confuses me. Full disclosure  - I'm not American and know nothing about American employment law, but what role does Human Resources play? I know this year has been different and the dance sections are different as it is more subjective. However, I've never participated in panel interviews (either as the interviewer or interviewee) where there has been no HR presence. This is to ensure that the same questions or same standard of questions are asked to everyone. This ensures a fairness for all. I know we probably don't see the whole panel interview but unless HR are there in the corner somewhere they are definitely missing. This would have stopped the question about Kat's dress from a few years ago.

Also, there should be HR presence at the cuts ensuring each girl has been given the same amount of opportunities to improve - either written notes or face to face. I also think as director Kelli isn't really the one who should be doing the cutting. It should be someone from the team who sees the girls every night. Ive never worked anywhere where a director would get involved in firing someone. Of course they would be notified but directors tend to be figureheads rather than doers.

RE: interviews to get the job: that varies by job role and company. I am in a technical field, so our "panel" interviews are made up from the team who you are going to be working with  - ie questioning do you have the skills (and sometimes the personality) to do the job. HR gets a report of the results (yes/no) from the hiring manager, which is probably your prospective boss, or prospective team leader's boss..

RE: interviews for leaving/terminated/laid-off from the  job: . Called  "exit interview" where I work. Yes - HR is involved. The degree and when depends upon the company, and sometimes the reason (ie layoff/reduction in force vs. voluntary termination vs performance termination).

Keep in mind DCC are probably not considered full time employees. I think they are considered contractual/seasonal, perhaps independent contractors.

Most HR functions with employee/employer laws vary by state, as well as employee type (full/part time, contractual, union, etc) so I am going to let someone from or knows about Texas answer the majority of your question.

I am in Georgia  (dept of labor site with a bunch of laws)  -  which is defined as a "employment at will" --- which means : 

"At-will means that an employer can terminate an employee at any time for any reason, except an illegal one, or for no reason without incurring legal liability.  Likewise, an employee is free to leave a job at any time for any or no reason with no adverse legal consequences. At-will also means that an employer can change the terms of the employment relationship with no notice and no consequences.  For example, an employer can alter wages, terminate benefits, or reduce paid time off.  In its unadulterated form,. at-will rule leaves employees vulnerable to arbitrary and sudden dismissal, a limited or on-call work schedule depending on the employer’s needs, and unannounced cuts in pay and benefits.  "

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ena355 said:

The whole audition process and being cut confuses me. Full disclosure  - I'm not American and know nothing about American employment law, but what role does Human Resources play? I know this year has been different and the dance sections are different as it is more subjective. However, I've never participated in panel interviews (either as the interviewer or interviewee) where there has been no HR presence. This is to ensure that the same questions or same standard of questions are asked to everyone. This ensures a fairness for all. I know we probably don't see the whole panel interview but unless HR are there in the corner somewhere they are definitely missing. This would have stopped the question about Kat's dress from a few years ago.

Also, there should be HR presence at the cuts ensuring each girl has been given the same amount of opportunities to improve - either written notes or face to face. I also think as director Kelli isn't really the one who should be doing the cutting. It should be someone from the team who sees the girls every night. Ive never worked anywhere where a director would get involved in firing someone. Of course they would be notified but directors tend to be figureheads rather than doers.

These women are not on the job, though. These are extended auditions, and cuts can happen for any reason. Even once they make the team, the contract they sign acknowledges they can be cut at any moment. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ena355 said:

I've worked in Human Resources for 20+ years.  I agree with your comments, but in the U.S. there's a different standard in the entertainment/sports industry, which is basically what the DCC are.  And the standard is surprisingly simple.....whatever the coach/advisor/casting director decides.  Kids whine all the time that "the coach doesn't like me".  Parents scream that their little Sonny or Sunny is so much better than the rest of the team,so why are they always riding the bench?  People try out for football teams or singing groups and have to perform in front of people who may or may not even have any experience in that field.  And yet those people are in charge of selecting whoever they want based on their perceptions or their preferences or sometimes just if they fit in the uniform.  Selecting who is the best candidate is a subjective process, and that is where they get away with things you know would/should not happen in a normal office environment (although don't get me started on the do's and don'ts of interviewing people for a job...it doesn't matter how many procedures a company puts into place, it's still based on how the hiring manager feels on any given day).

We've seen K&J cut people because they didn't have the DCC "look".  How much more subjective can you get, but they get away with it because in the entertainment business your look is just as, if not in many cases more, important than your talent.  If K&J were sued and had to go in front of a judge and explain what the DCC look is, they'd probably say thin but healthy body type, pretty face, teeth and hair, bubbly personality, good dancer.  How many girls through the years who didn't make it past the audition process could hold up their hand and say 'that's me'? 

HR usually isn't present if a TV show or movie is being cast.  But in a big organization like the Dallas Cowboys, they don't want any discrimination suits filed against them, so that's why they have so many people involved in the selection process.  That way when someone complains, they can say it was a group decision.   They have stuck their head in the sand for years, however, over complaints they aren't diversified enough.  The media attention finally got hot enough and this season they look like they've tried to address that.      

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, JapMo said:

If K&J were sued and had to go in front of a judge and explain what the DCC look is, they'd probably say thin but healthy body type, pretty face, teeth and hair, bubbly personality, good dancer.

And further to your point, "pretty face" is really subjective.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

And further to your point, "pretty face" is really subjective.

How many times did Kelli go on about how beautiful Meredith was?  "She has such pretty eyes".  

Hey Kelli....most people aren't sitting in the first 15 rows.  People up in the nosebleed section couldn't tell what color her eyes were, but they could very easily tell if she was out of step or out of formation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

they don't want any discrimination suits filed against them, so that's why they have so many people involved in the selection process. 

I have a feeling that mentioning a TCC has cankels, thuts, drumsticks and the like won't ever be seen on TV again.  

Have I missed any unpleasant descriptions used in the past?

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I have a feeling that mentioning a TCC has cankels, thuts, drumsticks and the like won't ever be seen on TV again.  

“Doesn’t have a face for HD...”.   Grandma. And all the MEAN mimicking they did when Colby was dancing.

I can’t see Kelli reining any of that in at all. It’s too ingrained in her routine now. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Is she the one they said had too much filler in her face - tall, thin

42 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

“Doesn’t have a face for HD...”.   Grandma. And all the MEAN mimicking they did when Colby was dancing.

I can’t see Kelli reining any of that in at all. It’s too ingrained in her routine now. 

Oops meant to respond to this... they were talking about her face having too much filler, right? 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, GonnahearmeRoar said:
56 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

Oops meant to respond to this... they were talking about her face having too much filler, right? 

Colby? Yes.

1 hour ago, GonnahearmeRoar said:

Is she the one they said had too much filler in her face - tall, thin

Sydney's headshot on the website makes me think she has cheek fillers. There's such an obvious distinction between her cheeks and her jaw it looks fake. I'm guessing it's mostly due to her head being tilted down along with harsh contouring and bad lighting, but it's not a good look. They really couldn't find a better picture of her?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Thick arms (Brooke S), Face not HD friendly (Courtney), Crispy Bacon (Kelsey).

Edited by MrsEVH

I used to live in Vegas and applying for "model" bartender or "model" cocktail server or "brand ambassador" for a pool club involved sending two photos, one a face shot and the other a full body photo in swimwear. If you were chosen to interview in person you were instructed to bring your swimsuit.

One company I worked for was hosting an "industry party". The (female) bartenders were told to wear either booty shorts or a micro mini skirt. And they were given company t shirts and told to cut them up to be more revealing.

All of this is perfectly legal. So I presume it's also legal with regard to DCC auditions (with some differences of course).

• Useful 3

I REALLY wish that a few DCC (current or past) would get together and write a tell ALL book!

Then maybe we would know the REAL reasons for so many of these cuts over the last several seasons and also what went on with group 4 last year ????

And why was Tara cut ?
And why was Jaylyn a superstar her rookie year and then suddenly not good enough for show group? 
Too many odd cuts to just be a coincidence !!

Edited by njcate
  • Useful 2
  • Love 20
7 hours ago, njcate said:

I REALLY wish that a few DCC (current or past) would get together and write a tell ALL book!

Then maybe we would know the REAL reasons for so many of these cuts over the last several seasons and also what went on with group 4 last year ????

And why was Tara cut ?
And why was Jaylyn a superstar her rookie year and then suddenly not good enough for show group? 
Too many odd cuts to just be a coincidence !!

😁I wonder if  the cowboy organization issued a gag order/confidentiality agreement... As you would think by now... someone would have written a book... have a YouTube...podcast... etc..

• Love 6
5 hours ago, sATL said:

😁I wonder if  the cowboy organization issued a gag order/confidentiality agreement... As you would think by now... someone would have written a book... have a YouTube...podcast... etc..

I've read they have non-disclosure agreements. I don't know if that's true.  I know Milan did an interview in which she talked about things though. And of course there's the Erica thing. And then both candidates Vivian and Megan ('that') spoke out.  Meredith Odom talked about how her mom making her shorts was just for the show (but never said anything negative about DCC).

But for the majority they'd never go against things publicly because the opportunities, connections, recommendations, et cetera are so wide. It's would be like career suicide if you still lived in the south or the dance world. And also so many are really supportive of DCC and so speaking out against it might jeopardize the relationships with teammates that you want to keep.

• Love 4

Thoughts on this year's squad and the cuts...................

Kristin  I watched the episode on her solo a few times and the clip on her instagram several times.  She did a better job on the gram but musicality is a big factor in solos and that song the music not the message was not a good choice and she really did not accent it that great. Kristin looked out of breath with heaving shoulders in her solo.  I believe Kristin was so proud of her solo and her social awareness message that she forgot it was an audition for a dance/performance job.  The critiques were really no worse than we have heard for years on this show.  They were not character assignations but comments on the musicality, matching of movements, sluggish etc.   Did she not watch this show before she auditioned?  She did better in the dance off but my husband saw her and said "what?  she is not a show stopper." when they showed her and Kelli called her a show stopper and he's watched this show for years.  So she came in towards the bottom this year and last year I would have ranked the bottom of the team as Meredith, Lily, Kat, Kristin, Brennan....  I saw one of Kristin's latest posts about thanking Charlotte, Judy, and Keill and assume she's rethinking her offensive and wants to try out again.

to the vets that were cut, my heart goes out to them as women.  It would have been easier to be cut at finals then on that zoom.  

Brennan.  We all love her perseverance and her making the team and her maturity but she's never been a "wow" dancer.  Brennan always struggled getting out of her head and her name came up as a potential vet cut last year.  I always thought after 2 years of her dreams and being in her thirties she should have through of retirement.  When they offered her the "pause" because she seemed to not be dancing on the same level, she should have grabbed it.  Covid is no joke and neither is long term health.  I do have to question Brennan telling the world she had covid twice and telling them once.  I also thought Brennan's look, that disaster outfit for the first meeting (you could not even call it business casual.... yes I lump in Lisa's and Savannah's as disasters) and  her solo outfit that looked like a practice uniform (Brennan's solo costumes have always been some of the prettiest so who knows what happened this year) gave me the impression Brennan thought her third year she had it made.  Vets going in to their third years have been cut in the past.  I truly believe Brennan could have been cut at finals if it was a normal year.  Brennan did not like the direction where the team was heading????  Taking better dancers over vets?  Brennan talked about what a great role model she was and a great ambassador, she never mentioned dancing because I believe Brennan knows she is not the strongest dancer.  Why should some rookie not make it because Brennan is a good role model.  And all that stuff on Covid, Brennan's post did not address covid concerns except she had it twice (???).  Hannah is who addressed covid.  As to did she text or not text, I suspect the phone was on.  When it happened and Bridget posted about keeping Brennan's composure, I thought it was going to be a zoom call for everyone and the team announced so how did Bridget and others know what happened.  Obviously Lily, let everyone know she was cut so anyone who was told they were getting a zoom call knew it was coming.  Brennan is a smart pretty woman who has a lot going for her.  She needs to move on.

Lily.  Lily could not get out of her head, she was stiff and her faces were very distracting.  She did barely make it last year.  I thought Lily was gracious in her exit but once again we heard she was good teammate and a good ambassador.  The job is still dancing.  I don't know if there were office visits this year but she got called out it seemed every time she danced.  you could see in her face she was annoyed and that could have been at herself but you cannot get the same dance notes three years in a. row and make the team.  I bet if we heard the whole discussion if Judy said something about Lily and ugly it would be Lily's "ugly" faces in game day photos.  Similar comments have been made to her on the show.

Hannah.  For someone so concerned over Covid and the bubble, why was she in the hallway?  She could comfort teammates over the phone.  Comforting teammates and maybe making it where everyone in the hallway could hear her cut.  Hannah did not have the spark she had her first two years.  This training camp was not the old Hannah and she had a lot on her mind.  Once again, if covid was her concern, Hannah should've stayed home this year.  Football players set out million dollar contracts.  Hannah was getting her master's and perhaps that should have been her focus.  I bet Hannah goes far but that was a lot of "attitude" on that call.  I don't care if she got mad and said more.  She knows she is done with them.  I just wonder if there wasn't more of that attitude at other times.  Hannah admitted her solo could have been better ( I thought it was last year's recycled but a lot of girls do that) and that's where they mentioned her pom technique.  It was more than once dance that Hannah did not look upbeat in.  Upbeat is part of a cheerleader's performance.  For all the but it was covid, every single woman trying out was experiencing covid.

Alora Rose this year's Kelli pet.  She hopefully is one and done.  I would have taken Tori over her any day.  Tori had some knowledge on media day but it was scrambled and came off worse. Bless Rachel W for trying to save her.   Kavanaugh is a Supreme Court justice and was never formally charged or convicted.  Tori is a great dancer and hope she listened to them and comes back.

I love Rachel W as point and thought it was telling that the team was so excited for her.  yes Gina looked disappointed but that's reasonable. I also liked Judy mixed up the whole triangle and gave other girls a chance.  Rachel W really stepped up her performance starting last year.

As to the team, I through there are some really stong rookies.  Marissa is adorable.  Mackenzie is great.  Jada I think she looks 12 and personally would rather see more of a woman body in the uniform but she has great kicks.

Retirements.  I hope Tess and Maddie retire.  Not that I don't like them I just think 5 years is a good run and after that people like Sydney and Jenna just look like they are holding on.  There is more to life than DCC.  Lexie after cheering for the Mavs and DCC it's time to focus on being married, Savannah who has gone as far as can go and cheered for the Jets also, Brianna it's clear the years of cheering is starting to slow down her body, Kat mainly because she is not that good and I'm over her ditz personality.  I thought Kat's media dress was more for cocktails than media day but then we had Armani's off the shoulder look and Darian's way too high of slit dress.  The rest.  I hope a decent amount retire just because the team always needs new faces.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

I've read they have non-disclosure agreements. I don't know if that's true.  I know Milan did an interview in which she talked about things though. And of course there's the Erica thing. And then both candidates Vivian and Megan ('that') spoke out.  Meredith Odom talked about how her mom making her shorts was just for the show (but never said anything negative about DCC).

But for the majority they'd never go against things publicly because the opportunities, connections, recommendations, et cetera are so wide. It's would be like career suicide if you still lived in the south or the dance world. And also so many are really supportive of DCC and so speaking out against it might jeopardize the relationships with teammates that you want to keep.

I doubt anyone would do a tell all piece because they like the doors DCC can open.  Milan's podcast IMO she came off a privileged girl who was mad the coach did not see her as special as she though was.  She complained about her spot in the triangle when only one rookie Gina was above her.  Gina could dance circles around Milan.  I always thought of Milan as next door girl pretty not glamorous and never thought of her as one of the top dancers.  Milan complained she could not drink while on the squad which was hilarious considering she was underage. Yes I know underage girls drink I just struck me as funny.  Girls of age watch their alcohol intake on the squad to maintain weight.  I was impressed with Milan's school work but never impressed with when she quit the team.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lexusprincess said:

I doubt anyone would do a tell all piece because they like the doors DCC can open.  Milan's podcast IMO she came off a privileged girl who was mad the coach did not see her as special as she though was.  She complained about her spot in the triangle when only one rookie Gina was above her.  Gina could dance circles around Milan.  I always thought of Milan as next door girl pretty not glamorous and never thought of her as one of the top dancers.  Milan complained she could not drink while on the squad which was hilarious considering she was underage. Yes I know underage girls drink I just struck me as funny.  Girls of age watch their alcohol intake on the squad to maintain weight.  I was impressed with Milan's school work but never impressed with when she quit the team.  

Milan's podcast at least exposed the editing and "making the TV show" aspects which of course we all know exist. None of us can judge anything based on what they show us. And the fact that DCC would intentionally  manipulate storylines in order to make girls like Hannah and Brennan appear as bitter/entitled vets during one the most difficult summers in their lives is shameful. Both get their support system torn away, prodded for that 'emotional gotcha' moment literally zoomed in, and now have to be trashed on social media for their perceived "entitlement." Unfair because they deliberately edited out ALL the factors which were so very clearly intertwined. They used these girls for a makeshift training camp TV show. They strung them out again all week. It's honestly just gross.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 22
On 1/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, JapMo said:

How many times did Kelli go on about how beautiful Meredith was?  "She has such pretty eyes".  

Hey Kelli....most people aren't sitting in the first 15 rows.  People up in the nosebleed section couldn't tell what color her eyes were, but they could very easily tell if she was out of step or out of formation.

But fans could DEFINITELY see her eyes when the HD screen zoomed in on her. And she looked amazing in still photos from the game. It seems like there’s always at least one girl Kelli keeps around because the fans will like her, even if she can’t pick up the style.

• Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 10:16 AM, Lexusprincess said:

Thoughts on this year's squad and the cuts...................

Kristin  I watched the episode on her solo a few times and the clip on her instagram several times.  She did a better job on the gram but musicality is a big factor in solos and that song the music not the message was not a good choice and she really did not accent it that great. Kristin looked out of breath with heaving shoulders in her solo.  I believe Kristin was so proud of her solo and her social awareness message that she forgot it was an audition for a dance/performance job.  The critiques were really no worse than we have heard for years on this show.  They were not character assignations but comments on the musicality, matching of movements, sluggish etc.   Did she not watch this show before she auditioned?  She did better in the dance off but my husband saw her and said "what?  she is not a show stopper." when they showed her and Kelli called her a show stopper and he's watched this show for years.  So she came in towards the bottom this year and last year I would have ranked the bottom of the team as Meredith, Lily, Kat, Kristin, Brennan....  I saw one of Kristin's latest posts about thanking Charlotte, Judy, and Keill and assume she's rethinking her offensive and wants to try out again.

to the vets that were cut, my heart goes out to them as women.  It would have been easier to be cut at finals then on that zoom.  

Brennan.  We all love her perseverance and her making the team and her maturity but she's never been a "wow" dancer.  Brennan always struggled getting out of her head and her name came up as a potential vet cut last year.  I always thought after 2 years of her dreams and being in her thirties she should have through of retirement.  When they offered her the "pause" because she seemed to not be dancing on the same level, she should have grabbed it.  Covid is no joke and neither is long term health.  I do have to question Brennan telling the world she had covid twice and telling them once.  I also thought Brennan's look, that disaster outfit for the first meeting (you could not even call it business casual.... yes I lump in Lisa's and Savannah's as disasters) and  her solo outfit that looked like a practice uniform (Brennan's solo costumes have always been some of the prettiest so who knows what happened this year) gave me the impression Brennan thought her third year she had it made.  Vets going in to their third years have been cut in the past.  I truly believe Brennan could have been cut at finals if it was a normal year.  Brennan did not like the direction where the team was heading????  Taking better dancers over vets?  Brennan talked about what a great role model she was and a great ambassador, she never mentioned dancing because I believe Brennan knows she is not the strongest dancer.  Why should some rookie not make it because Brennan is a good role model.  And all that stuff on Covid, Brennan's post did not address covid concerns except she had it twice (???).  Hannah is who addressed covid.  As to did she text or not text, I suspect the phone was on.  When it happened and Bridget posted about keeping Brennan's composure, I thought it was going to be a zoom call for everyone and the team announced so how did Bridget and others know what happened.  Obviously Lily, let everyone know she was cut so anyone who was told they were getting a zoom call knew it was coming.  Brennan is a smart pretty woman who has a lot going for her.  She needs to move on.

Lily.  Lily could not get out of her head, she was stiff and her faces were very distracting.  She did barely make it last year.  I thought Lily was gracious in her exit but once again we heard she was good teammate and a good ambassador.  The job is still dancing.  I don't know if there were office visits this year but she got called out it seemed every time she danced.  you could see in her face she was annoyed and that could have been at herself but you cannot get the same dance notes three years in a. row and make the team.  I bet if we heard the whole discussion if Judy said something about Lily and ugly it would be Lily's "ugly" faces in game day photos.  Similar comments have been made to her on the show.

Hannah.  For someone so concerned over Covid and the bubble, why was she in the hallway?  She could comfort teammates over the phone.  Comforting teammates and maybe making it where everyone in the hallway could hear her cut.  Hannah did not have the spark she had her first two years.  This training camp was not the old Hannah and she had a lot on her mind.  Once again, if covid was her concern, Hannah should've stayed home this year.  Football players set out million dollar contracts.  Hannah was getting her master's and perhaps that should have been her focus.  I bet Hannah goes far but that was a lot of "attitude" on that call.  I don't care if she got mad and said more.  She knows she is done with them.  I just wonder if there wasn't more of that attitude at other times.  Hannah admitted her solo could have been better ( I thought it was last year's recycled but a lot of girls do that) and that's where they mentioned her pom technique.  It was more than once dance that Hannah did not look upbeat in.  Upbeat is part of a cheerleader's performance.  For all the but it was covid, every single woman trying out was experiencing covid.

Alora Rose this year's Kelli pet.  She hopefully is one and done.  I would have taken Tori over her any day.  Tori had some knowledge on media day but it was scrambled and came off worse. Bless Rachel W for trying to save her.   Kavanaugh is a Supreme Court justice and was never formally charged or convicted.  Tori is a great dancer and hope she listened to them and comes back.

I love Rachel W as point and thought it was telling that the team was so excited for her.  yes Gina looked disappointed but that's reasonable. I also liked Judy mixed up the whole triangle and gave other girls a chance.  Rachel W really stepped up her performance starting last year.

As to the team, I through there are some really stong rookies.  Marissa is adorable.  Mackenzie is great.  Jada I think she looks 12 and personally would rather see more of a woman body in the uniform but she has great kicks.

Retirements.  I hope Tess and Maddie retire.  Not that I don't like them I just think 5 years is a good run and after that people like Sydney and Jenna just look like they are holding on.  There is more to life than DCC.  Lexie after cheering for the Mavs and DCC it's time to focus on being married, Savannah who has gone as far as can go and cheered for the Jets also, Brianna it's clear the years of cheering is starting to slow down her body, Kat mainly because she is not that good and I'm over her ditz personality.  I thought Kat's media dress was more for cocktails than media day but then we had Armani's off the shoulder look and Darian's way too high of slit dress.  The rest.  I hope a decent amount retire just because the team always needs new faces.

You read my mind on many things but wrote it all so much better than I could.  Agree with all of the above! 

• Love 2
On 1/17/2021 at 12:57 PM, MelissaMinion said:

I have avoided this season like the plague. Especially after knowing two of my favorites got cut. But I went and found the three vet cuts in the last episode, just to see what everyone was talking about. 

As brave as Brennan and Hannah were to try and speak up a little, it didn’t do any good. The minute ANY TC candidate steps out of the “I’m so grateful for the opportunity” mold, Kelli and Judy are just DONE with them. I mean, I could almost see Judy’s mind snapping shut when Brennan starts to talk. Nothing B said penetrated, other than to shore up in their minds that they were right to make that decision. 

Also, I really lost respect for Kelli pushing the decisions off on the judges not scoring them higher. Especially since we know she is perfectly capable, when she wants to, of disregarding the judges’ opinions. Way to distance yourself from the cuts, Kelli. Kudos.

I’m glad I’m done with this show. By holding a dangerous camp in a year when she ought to know better, by cutting vets for dancing mistakes in a DAYS long camp instead of a months long one, by valuing untried people when she herself said it wouldn’t be mostly about dancing but interviews and ambassadorship this year, Kelli has proved she’s not in it to make the best decisions for the team. 

Bye. And I do appreciate the opportunity the girls gave me to see them struggle over the years. 

This!   Thank you for articulating my thoughts & feelings.  I was done seeing Brennan & Hannah cut.  Instead of showing grace, common sense & yes value for proven Vets,  they are put in a dangerous atmosphere & then cut for newbies.   None who have proven their value the past year.   

• Love 15

I’ve always wondered why they don’t have alternates. I know last year they kind of did with Meredith, and it certainly came in handy with Gina’s injury. That way people like Brennan and Hannah could have stayed and Alora Rose could have been that alternate and learned more. 

I just watched this episode bc I knew about Brennan and Hannah being cut and just couldn’t bring myself to watch the entire season for awhile. 

I also never understand why they continued to not like Brennan’s dancing. I’ve been drawn to her every year in group shots. I don’t know what I’m missing - or what they’re missing?!

On 1/17/2021 at 8:13 PM, DCCFan2021 said:

Sydney's headshot on the website makes me think she has cheek fillers. There's such an obvious distinction between her cheeks and her jaw it looks fake. I'm guessing it's mostly due to her head being tilted down along with harsh contouring and bad lighting, but it's not a good look. They really couldn't find a better picture of her?

Unfortunately, if you’ve seen her personal IG page, that’s just how she really looks. Her face looks like someone took clay and sculpted it with their fingers. Very harsh features. The curly hair was  a helpful  distraction. Maybe if they don’t cut her next season, which in my opinion they should, they’ll lose the straight hair and go for the curly stuff again. 

Edited by Itswhatisaid
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Itswhatisaid said:

Unfortunately, if you’ve seen her personal IG page, that’s just how she really looks. Her face looks like someone took clay and sculpted it with their fingers. Very harsh features. The curly hair was  a helpful  distraction. Maybe if they don’t cut her next season, which in my opinion they should, they’ll lose the straight hair and go for the curly stuff again. 

Cheekfillers or not, those features don't do her any favours I'm afraid. K&J always talk about how the girls look on the big HD-screen but I'm sorry to say this, her face isn't hd-friendly....

• Love 4
On 1/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, WoofDCC said:

And Im pretty sure Kashara replaced Jinelle's fiance in DCC. Kashara mentioned on the podcast that she does corporate events etc and that's what Jinelle's fiance did.

I always liked Jinelle.  She's a sweet, lovely girl ~ IMO, was always a really good dancer, but not great.  And certainly not a contender to take Kelli's spot in the future-maybe too sweet.     If and/or when Michelle Keys ever moves back from Hawaii, I could sooo see her eventually taking a spot, but more of Judy's as choreographer (?), although she appears as a strong, no-nonsense leader/director as well.    I would love Kashara somewhere in the mix, I love her, but not sure of her directing.     I just can't bring myself to suggest Jennifer A in Kelli's spot in the future,  I was never Jennifer's biggest fan.   I think Jacie Scott would be an amazing choice to run DCC in the future!!!  To me, she was always the whole package!  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, KoKo said:

I always liked Jinelle.  She's a sweet, lovely girl ~ IMO, was always a really good dancer, but not great.  And certainly not a contender to take Kelli's spot in the future-maybe too sweet.     If and/or when Michelle Keys ever moves back from Hawaii, I could sooo see her eventually taking a spot, but more of Judy's as choreographer (?), although she appears as a strong, no-nonsense leader/director as well.    I would love Kashara somewhere in the mix, I love her, but not sure of her directing.     I just can't bring myself to suggest Jennifer A in Kelli's spot in the future,  I was never Jennifer's biggest fan.   I think Jacie Scott would be an amazing choice to run DCC  in the future!!!  To me, she was always the whole package!  

I do wonder how much of Kelli's job is supporting and promoting profitable goals and objectives of the cowboy organization that the DCC does, project management, financial and marketing related - ie business senior manager stuff, as the DCC is a major brand line within the Cowboys organization. I suspect quite a bit.

Yes - Kelli has a DCC dancing background ( I don't know if she danced in college) , but charlotte is going to expect managerial duties/qualifications of the next successor too , perhaps weighted more so than a dance resume, obtained outside of DCC. What was the qualifications for Kelli job in 19xx , isn't the same qualifications in 20xx.

RE: Judy's successor - I am having a hard time imagining Denise or Michelle teaching the entrance... in its current state - . I would think they would be bored..... maybe they can bring a new energy ,flare and vision..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

Lily said “I wish I would have know sooner” Brennan said “I don’t like the direction this team is heading.” 

Unpoular opinion:  Lily, Brennan, and Hannah were never that good and barely made the team, and they know that.  They never improved and even declined.  It is a dance competition, at the end of the day, and they got outdanced by rookies.  Period.  It's not like K&J cut Gina or another amazing vet.  

I feel the worst sabout Lilly as she is a sweet girl, but all 3 of them showed a horrible, unprofessional attitude (although Brennan and Hannah were much worse than Lily). 

Re Lily:  She wishes she had known sooner than what? Training camp was 18 days, and vets came for less than that.  Would she prefer that K&J had told her not to bother coming to TC because her performance was not where it needed to be and they were cutting her at the end of las season?  I am sorry, but Lily dances in a very stiff and awkward manner when she is under pressure.  That is her muscle memory default.  It's why she didn't make it previously.

Re Brennan:  Her attitude when cut was horrible, and her dancing is very average.  I never thought she should have made the team to begin with.  Personsally, I think TBTB just felt sorry for her and let her squeeze on. She never was and never will be a Gina, Sydney, Michelle K, etc (pick a top vet).   In addition to her mediocre dance ability, she lacks the DCC look and has a very cross-eyed/masculine stare when dancing.  Nor was she professional or gracious.  DCC is still a job.  It is completely unprofessional to smart off at one's supervisor during a termination meeting and tell them you "don't like the direction the [company/organization] is going in" or that "it's a very sad night for [the organization]."  Talk about narcissistic.  If Brennan really felt that way, why didn't she retire?  She kept talking about how much she "gave to DCC" but even IF she did a lot of appearances and represented DCC, that was part of her job and does NOT excuse poor dancing.   Should Claire or McKenzie or Marissa been cut to make room for rude, average  (or below-average Brennan who has a bad attitude to boot)?

Re Hannah:  Just as bad or worse than Brennan - breaking the quarantine rules and sitting in the hallway with an openly hostile and bitter demeanor, saying "she is comforting her friends."  Who cares?  Like a surly teenager.   Super unprofessional, and it looked like she tried to be as ugly as possible on the inside and outside.  She was a mess.  Do you really want your last meeting with K&J to be with you looking like a disheveled wreck on national tv with zerio makeup, an aggressively hostile attitude/angry scowl, and disregarding quarantine rules?  She simply made herself look immature, difficult, and hostile.  I am sure that evening was not the first time TBTB had seen Hannah (and Brennant's attitude), which may have also been a huge factor in the deicison, on top of her lackluster dancing.  

Any other NFL cheer teams that watch that episode would likely NOT want to have anything to do with Hannah or Brennan.  Lily - maybe, maybe not, but again, her comment was still snarky. What happened to "Thank you for this opportunity.  I appreciate it and wish DCC all the best."  Why burn bridges and make yourself look idiotic on national tv.  Again, those 3 were never that good.  If they had been, they would still be there.  Period.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Leila2 said:

Lily:  She wishes she had known sooner than what?

Before TC started. Kelli always had vet meetings before TC where she'd run down how the season went and make suggestions (even suggestions not to audition again). My guess is that either Kelli said nothing or didn't have those meetings before 2020 camp.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Leila2 said:

I am sure that evening was not the first time TBTB had seen Hannah (and Brennant's attitude)

I'm going to let out a big secret...I'm a Brennan fan 😂  However, I HAVE kinda sorta wondered if she had an attitude. There was one time they were doing that "all we do is win" dance in the locker room & Brennan kind of loosely waved her arms & you could see her rolling her eyes. I mean, I find that little schtick annoying too, but if you want to stay, you have to play the game. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

What Sydney are you speaking about?  

Sydney Durso  -- not sure of her married name but that was her maiden name. Sorry, I forgot there is a rookie Sydney too (not a fan).  I always liked Sydney D.  I think her picture was one of the ones in the dance room this season.

Re Lily:  She wishes she had known sooner than what?

Before TC started. Kelli always had vet meetings before TC where she'd run down how the season went and make suggestions (even suggestions not to audition again). My guess is that either Kelli said nothing or didn't have those meetings before 2020 camp.

Oh, OK, got it, thanks.  That makes sense.  I agree with your hunch.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Leila2 said:

Re Lily:  She wishes she had known sooner than what?

Oh, OK, got it, thanks.  That makes sense.  I agree with your hunch.  

OR...Kelli DID have a meeting with Lily, but she was just as vague then as she was about Lily's cut!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

In the past Kelli has met with vets about next year asking about what they were desiring to do & believe giving them an honest (to her) appraisal of what was going on. I know there were those who were warned about weight etc & opted to retire rather than be cut.  I remember Kelli asking Jenna during a meeting if she was ready to step up as a leader.  As a college professor I did thousands of evaluations that were objective but subjective because I was a person doing it.  Most students did not want to hear the news or some refused the info, then would tell other students when they failed because of their performance that they were never told & they had no idea.  Just part of the job to be the fail guy & can never tell other students the straight story.  Ok, getting off my soap box.

• Love 7

OR...Kelli DID have a meeting with Lily, but she was just as vague then as she was about Lily's cut!

Another good point.  I agree Kelli is not the most clear and direct with people until the end, which is not fair.  She may have been surprised at the level of rookie talent at TC this year, but had she been candid before with Lily on areas for improvement before TC, Lily might have been able to take steps to incorporate that feedback.  I admire the strength and courage of all the DCC candidates -- whether selected or not -- and the vets.  It takes a lot of guts to put yourself in that pressure cooker, when there may be some real gaps in the information imparted from Kelli and Judi.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Leila2 said:

Lily said “I wish I would have know sooner” Brennan said “I don’t like the direction this team is heading.” 

Unpoular opinion:  Lily, Brennan, and Hannah were never that good and barely made the team, and they know that.  They never improved and even declined.  It is a dance competition, at the end of the day, and they got outdanced by rookies.  Period.  It's not like K&J cut Gina or another amazing vet.  

I feel the worst sabout Lilly as she is a sweet girl, but all 3 of them showed a horrible, unprofessional attitude (although Brennan and Hannah were much worse than Lily). 

Re Lily:  She wishes she had known sooner than what? Training camp was 18 days, and vets came for less than that.  Would she prefer that K&J had told her not to bother coming to TC because her performance was not where it needed to be and they were cutting her at the end of las season?  I am sorry, but Lily dances in a very stiff and awkward manner when she is under pressure.  That is her muscle memory default.  It's why she didn't make it previously.

Re Brennan:  Her attitude when cut was horrible, and her dancing is very average.  I never thought she should have made the team to begin with.  Personsally, I think TBTB just felt sorry for her and let her squeeze on. She never was and never will be a Gina, Sydney, Michelle K, etc (pick a top vet).   In addition to her mediocre dance ability, she lacks the DCC look and has a very cross-eyed/masculine stare when dancing.  Nor was she professional or gracious.  DCC is still a job.  It is completely unprofessional to smart off at one's supervisor during a termination meeting and tell them you "don't like the direction the [company/organization] is going in" or that "it's a very sad night for [the organization]."  Talk about narcissistic.  If Brennan really felt that way, why didn't she retire?  She kept talking about how much she "gave to DCC" but even IF she did a lot of appearances and represented DCC, that was part of her job and does NOT excuse poor dancing.   Should Claire or McKenzie or Marissa been cut to make room for rude, average  (or below-average Brennan who has a bad attitude to boot)?

Re Hannah:  Just as bad or worse than Brennan - breaking the quarantine rules and sitting in the hallway with an openly hostile and bitter demeanor, saying "she is comforting her friends."  Who cares?  Like a surly teenager.   Super unprofessional, and it looked like she tried to be as ugly as possible on the inside and outside.  She was a mess.  Do you really want your last meeting with K&J to be with you looking like a disheveled wreck on national tv with zerio makeup, an aggressively hostile attitude/angry scowl, and disregarding quarantine rules?  She simply made herself look immature, difficult, and hostile.  I am sure that evening was not the first time TBTB had seen Hannah (and Brennant's attitude), which may have also been a huge factor in the deicison, on top of her lackluster dancing.  

Any other NFL cheer teams that watch that episode would likely NOT want to have anything to do with Hannah or Brennan.  Lily - maybe, maybe not, but again, her comment was still snarky. What happened to "Thank you for this opportunity.  I appreciate it and wish DCC all the best."  Why burn bridges and make yourself look idiotic on national tv.  Again, those 3 were never that good.  If they had been, they would still be there.  Period.  

Several good points.  However, Hannah was on Show Group both times she was on the squad.  I don't think that she could go from being one of the best dancers on the squad to "doesn't have good pom technique" or whatever in 10 days or less.  Brennan was also a solid dancer even if she wasn't one of their prettiest girls and was both a locker room favorite and a mentor.

I also seem to remember that one of the judges said he was surprised that Hannah and Brennan were cut as he felt there were several girls who were weaker among the ones who made it.  Also, Kelli has shown in the past that she's more about the show then the girls and will do what she can to promote the show over the health/welfare of the girls and shoehorning her favorite pretty girls onto the squad even when they have major dance issues that even a year on the squad won't help/fix, thus it's no longer about the "best of the best".   If it was, then many of the girls selected over the years, whether for looks, their sob stories or their titles, wouldn't have even made Training Camp much less the squad.  Breelan, Morgan, Kat, Meredith, etc. would not have even been chosen.  Even the pageant sisters wouldn't have been selected, but Kelli wanted their titles on the team despite them not having finished out their terms.  

There have also been many times in the real world where people have been surprised by termination or the way things were going.  In a healthy company where the management respect their employees and vice versa, there is an open dialogue about where each person sees them going and what can be done to get there among other things.  In an unhealthy or toxic company (or management), then the employees are always fearful about what's going to happen or what's going to change because they don't know until the last moment what's going to happen.  I've been in both types.  I've personally seen management in a former job actually do what they can to force people out or make them quit and, if they don't, find some excuse to fire them all while having "documentation" or a "reason" to do so and I've seen management do whatever they can to help people become amazing, both as people and as employees, sometimes to the point of keeping them far past when they should have been released from the position because the employee couldn't (or refused to for their own reasons) do what was asked of them. 

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 7

However, Hannah was on Show Group both times she was on the squad.  I don't think that she could go from being one of the best dancers on the squad to "doesn't have good pom technique" or whatever in 10 days or less.  Brennan was also a solid dancer even if she wasn't one of their prettiest girls and was both a locker room favorite and a mentor.

I also seem to remember that one of the judges said he was surprised that Hannah and Brennan were cut as he felt there were several girls who were weaker among the ones who made it.  Also, Kelli has shown in the past that she's more about the show then the girls and will do what she can to promote the show over the health/welfare of the girls and shoehorning her favorite pretty girls onto the squad even when they have major dance issues that even a year on the squad won't help/fix, thus it's no longer about the "best of the best".   If it was, then many of the girls selected over the years, whether for looks, their sob stories or their titles, wouldn't have even made Training Camp much less the squad.  Breelan, Morgan, Kat, Meredith, etc. would not have even been chosen.  Even the pageant sisters wouldn't have been selected, but Kelli wanted their titles on the team despite them not having finished out tgheir terms. 

I agree that Hannah wasn't one of the worst and there was a LOT going on behind the scenes.   I think it is possible Brennan's attitude did her in more than anything.    Agree with the other poster who said she is a Brennan fan but may have seen hints of possible attitude herself.

K&J do tend to hide behind "performance" and "other judge's scores" instead of telling people "We just don't like you" (LOL) or whatever.    Definitely some favoritism and ratings-driven decisions going on!    Also agree with your assessment about Breelan, Morgan, Kat, Meredith, and the pageant sisters.  It's almost like K&J have too much power as they are involved in evaluating/selecting team members AND making a good show.  Yes, Charlotte has the ultimate say but she seems pretty fair in giving them leeway (maybe too much).  The goals of making a "good/intriguing" show and picking the best team and treating everyone fairly may not always be exactly the same.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Leila2 said:

I agree that Hannah wasn't one of the worst and there was a LOT going on behind the scenes.   I think it is possible Brennan's attitude did her in more than anything.    Agree with the other poster who said she is a Brennan fan but may have seen hints of possible attitude herself.

Are you saying Brennan had attitude before she was cut?

11 hours ago, Leila2 said:

Unpoular opinion:  Lily, Brennan, and Hannah were never that good and barely made the team, and they know that.

Hannah never that good and barely making the team? LOL

I'll give you Lily and Brennan, but Hannah, let's not. She was known as a powerhouse and fierce, and was on SG for two years, no? dude...

• Love 7

Are you saying Brennan had attitude before she was cut? 

Just saying I don't know either way but I suspect she MAY have and that might have been a big factor driving the decision. 

Hannah never that good and barely making the team? LOL

I'll give you Lily and Brennan, but Hannah, let's not. She was known as a powerhouse and fierce, and was on SG for two years, no? dude...

I definitely see your point and agree she was known as a powerhouse  BUT during this TC she seemed to be dragging, probably due to school.  I recall Hannah wowing them when she was a rookie so I will concede that point.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Leila2 said:

I definitely see your point and agree she was known as a powerhouse  BUT during this TC she seemed to be dragging, probably due to school.  I recall Hannah wowing them when she was a rookie so I will concede that point.  

I think she was pretty much just struggling mentally/emotionally and it affected her dancing. I don't think she was suddenly a terrible dancer, not at all

1 hour ago, Leila2 said:

Just saying I don't know either way but I suspect she MAY have and that might have been a big factor driving the decision. 

based on what? genuinely curious because i'm generally a fan and i've never seen anyone say anything like that/speculate that about brennan

• Love 3

based on what? genuinely curious because i'm generally a fan and i've never seen anyone say anything like that/speculate that about brennan 

Based on the degree of Brennan's hostility and attitude when cut -- that doesn't just pop out suddenly.  My personal opinion is that she probably had an attitude before then.  It is pretty bold to say "I don't like the direction the team is going in" and "it's a very sad night for DCC."  She sounded very aggressive and egotistical.  As an example, Lily didn't say that --  she is super-sweet and I don't think she has that level of attitude in her.  Even for Brennan to be obviously texting during the meeting AND to add "I already know Lily has bene cut" is a very "in your face; screw it; I don't care" response.  I am sure K&J expect those who were cut to text each other -- but NOT for someone to be openly texting during the termination meeting AND to reference someone else being cut.  Very unprofessional and angry.  She knew she was being filmed and made a deliberate choice to appear that way.  I even think she lost her temper a bit, as she first said she wanted to be professional AND then proceeded to le tthem have it.   I don't think she developed that level of attitude in one evening.  And I think she should have been grateful to have danced at all with DCC. Even she acknowledged she had been cut "multiple times" before.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Leila2 said:

Even for Brennan to be obviously texting during the meeting

In Brennan's defense, she said her eyes were down & that she was not texting during the meeting. That was an incorrect assumption made by Kelli. 

Brennan, to me, didn't seem hostile, she seemed sad...I mean she was crying despite trying not to. I do agree, though, with what you said earlier about Hannah.  Now THAT, to me, was hostile.  Of course I don't like Hannah, so my assessment may be a bit clouded.

• Love 8

In Brennan's defense, she said her eyes were down & that she was not texting during the meeting. That was an incorrect assumption made by Kelli. 

Brennan, to me, didn't seem hostile, she seemed sad...I mean she was crying despite trying not to. I do agree, though, with what you said earlier about Hannah.  Now THAT, to me, was hostile.  Of course I don't like Hannah, so my assessment may be a bit clouded. 

I definitely respect your opinion re Brennan and maybe she was sad.  I feel for all the girls who were cut; I just don't think it's good to be unprofesisonal.  But maybe she was more shocked and hurt than hostile.

I completely agree with you re Hannah.  I think she seemed hostile.  BUT it is easy for me to comment when I have obviously ever been to TC or on DCC and can't know how they were feeling.  I imagine all of the vets cut felt like their efforts and sacrifice had not been appreciated, and perhaps that is true.  On the other hand, that's another way of saying that vets should not be cut, and it is made clear that vets must try out every year.  It's a hard call, and I don't want to come off as insensitive.

• Love 2

I do think it's entirely possible that both Meredith and Lily were given a coaching talk about considering retiring and not coming back, but figured they would shoot their shot anyway.  I think that's probably the case for a lot of the veterans that get cut at the standard audition.  Kelli might just shrug and say well, let's just see how you are against some of these rock star rookies!

I think if they watched any of the show at all, had the self awareness to compare were they were at the next season's auditions compared to how Kelli treated them/spoke about them the years they barely made the squad, not a lot of surprises happening.  I think some of that is where Hannah's frustration came from.  Hannah might have come in hoping for the best, realized it was exactly the shit show she thought it might be, tried to make the best of it and then was like fuck it whatever when she got cut.  It's the most human I think we've seen a DCC be, other than the pissiness/back pedaling of Holly P.  

And frankly, I don't know how so many of them cover up their frustration for so long.  If Brennan was subjected to all of the bullshittery of Tess and VK in their group, I imagine she was indeed concerned about the direction the team of going.  Still blows my mind the drama of Group 4.  How on earth were all the vet cuts from that group?  

• Love 6