Type keyword(s) to search

S15 E08: We Have a Team

ByTor
  • Start Topic

It looked to me as if CMT had its usual plan to dramatically video each cut conversation, and then COVID scuttled that. So they tried to maximize the drama, using the captive cheerleaders in the hotel and Zoom, late at night, with the cheerleaders having to wait too long for the results. And enduring Kelli's lengthy sanctimonious and fake speechifying.

We've not been shown cheerleaders expressing contempt for how things are handled and refusing to be submissive and grateful. Maybe some things will change. But meanwhile I enjoyed seeing Kelli's and Judy's startled reactions.

I always say this - I think Charlotte is insisting on the beautiful-but-moderately-talented dancers. I mean, she called Kat "Beyonce." She probably let Meredith go because she spotted a bright new shiny submissive eager young thing.

I knew the team announcement was coming because everyone had been through makeovers and they were dolled up in maximum hair and makeup.

And they showed individual dancers performing as the single focus of the cameras - that requires individual camera set-ups. But they used those shots to cut in to the group shots. Not a bad thing, just noticeable edit trickery.

I agree that they should have left Armani's hair alone. Now she blends.

ETA: I'm shocked Kelli is on Cameo. I'm surprised the Cowboys organization allows it. Unless they are getting a cut of the fee.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, DCCOracle said:

Someone thinks too highly of themselves.

She's the same amount as Carole Baskin! 🤣

image.thumb.png.beeffad15de763a6400ec4f771d82b61.png

$299 for a Kelli Cameo?! Sheesh — Former San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen charges only $20 and he has a couple championship rings. 

• Love 3

$299 for a Kelli Cameo is so delusional lmao. Most football fans, the people actually seeing the cheerleaders in person, have no idea who runs the DCC. The superfans here and other places online seem to be annoyed by Kelli more than anything else. Even if they aren't I can't imagine someone so obsessed that they would pay that much for one. I cannotttttt omfg

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

ETA: I'm shocked Kelli is on Cameo. I'm surprised the Cowboys organization allows it. Unless they are getting a cut of the fee.

I held off asking as long as possible, but could someone please tell this old lady what Cameo is?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, RoxyMoron101 said:

Its a service where you can basically pay celebrities for personalized messages. 

Oh good lord.  For $299 you should at least get 5 minutes of direct one or one contact by phone or Zoom.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Judy's opinions carry a lot more weight, IMO, than Kelli's. 

1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Kelli's title may say she runs the show, but for a long time now it's Charlotte and the Board, as well as the Making The Team Producers, who make the big decisions.   

We've been told thru the years by insiders that Judy doesn't have much of a say and Kelli runs the team and the show.  They seem to have equal billing when it comes to being mean girls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Charlotte likes Kat and as long as that is the case Kat stays.

I caught that "Beyoncé" reference Charlotte made.... 

I was thinking... Beyoncé is from Houston.... always helps out in Houston when there is a hurricane,...Charolotte it may take a little more than a weat-loo-alike to get Queen B to show up in Dallas- which she did in 2016

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

I caught that "Beyoncé" reference Charlotte made.... 

I was thinking... Beyoncé is from Houston.... always helps out in Houston when there is a hurricane,...Charolotte it may take a little more than a weat-loo-alike to get Queen B to show up in Dallas- which she did in 2016

I think Charlotte calling Kat Beyonce has to do with her solo. She did some moves from "Put a Ring on It" and ended with showing her pinky ring.  Just a thought.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Mattlewis9 said:

I think Charlotte calling Kat Beyonce has to do with her solo. She did some moves from "Put a Ring on It" and ended with showing her pinky ring.  Just a thought.

Her solo was Put a Ring on It CMT couldnt play it cause of copyright

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Mattlewis9 said:

i think either j or k said that about her last year when she first tried out too tho

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I think they all handled it very professionally and took everything seriously.  In my opinion, Kelli was the one who handled things unprofessionally.

I agree with you. I’ve had to do a lot of layoffs recently because of COVID and had hard conversations related to performance when leading teams throughout my career. I didn’t see anything unprofessional from the three vets.

Kelli needs to learn how to manage and have tough conversations with people. Why did Lily have to ask point blank if she was getting cut? Why is Judy even in the room if she says nothing? I feel as if J&K were ruder to the cut vets than the cut rookies. Maybe that’s why people felt that the conversations were unprofessional? It was IMO stemming from J&K’s end, not the vets.

Also if more virtual events were happening in 2020 (per a cut rookie’s Zoom), why would you cut vets for dance related reasons... Brennan especially should’ve been your #1 all around ambassador in that regard. She has a serious career and you can tell her interactions with J&K this week when on zoom. 

• Love 19

Tori and Ashlinn, in my opinion, were chosen to be the rookie cuts because they were the two most likely to return next season and try again. That way, DCC-MTT gets to have their comeback stories. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 9

This will be unpopular.  As much as I like Brennan, she got sick the first time while Texas was on lock down.  Maybe she got it through no fault of her own, but..  

She was given an out she should have taken, she knew she was not at her best.  If they had held auditions when they normally do, Brennan would not have been able to compete.

I wanted her to be more of the boss woman we see in her and any editing done could not have changed the how dare you looks in her or Hannah’s eyes.

The only one of the 3 who I felt bad for was Lily.  But she wasn’t dancing like a vet should.  Meredith should never have made the team last year.  She only made it to add more drama to the reality show.

Note to self, never ever go on a reality tv show, it will never end the way you want it to.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked Sydney's curly hair but I wish they had let Armani keep her hair shorter. I think it looked cuter at the length it was during training camp. I wish we'd seen more of Elli throughout the season. She was such a great dancer in the snippets we saw of her during rehearsal but I guess since she wasn't ever in consideration for being cut, she didn't merit more air time.

I wish they would've kept Sydney's curly hair too, instead of a similar look to Kat and Briana. And yes, I agree about Armani too, it looked so much more heavy. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I agree that they should have left Armani's hair alone. Now she blends.

This year they have so many WOC, yet they insist on giving them all the same look. Armani's hair looked way cuter before, they just needed to get her some products so she wouldn't sweat out her hair. 

• Love 15

1) Kelli handled Lily's cut really badly and I'm not surprised she felt she had to be more direct with the next ones

2) I appreciated all of the Ladies' responses -they were personal 

3) IT WAS SO HARD WATCHING THEM ALL GET FIRED FROM A JOB THEY LOVE. The audition process is way less agonising - this was so sad and I honestly was miserable for them even if I agreed with the cuts. 

4) Did anyone else think the "direction the team is going in" point meant that the vets think that some of the rookies are good dancers but bad role models? That's how I took it in the whole "America's sweethearts" context.

5) Maddie as point is so yawn. I like her as a person but am really bored with her and Tess being so prominent when there are far more dazzling dancers and personalities.

6) Not gonna lie - I think the girls look way less glamorous and in shape than previous years. They all look fine but usually I am in AWE of the DCC and this year I'm like "ok sure pretty girls but some are out of shape, no one's tan is even and it's clear makeovers weren't a priority"

7) As an employer I appreciate that KJ and C are trying to make things as special as possible when there's F all you can really do other than lay on praise - covid sucks. 

8 ) I thought Kelli's reflections on Vet cuts was genuine and I really felt for her when she said "being a coach is complicated" - she was doing what was best in her professional opinion and she is so passionate about the team and her job, even if I don't agree with her all the time. 

Thank you CMT / DCC / TPTB for making this season - it wasn't one of the best but I am SO grateful for it - losing my favourite show would have been a pandemic low point for me (including cancelling my wedding) so THANK YOU so much.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, writeme93 said:

This year they have so many WOC, yet they insist on giving them all the same look. Armani's hair looked way cuter before, they just needed to get her some products so she wouldn't sweat out her hair. 

Did I hear Kelli correctly - was it Armani or Sydney that said : "They were given a choice of straight or curly hair ?"

3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Charlotte likes Kat and as long as that is the case Kat stays.

Ehhh I think "like" is a strong word. Id use  "amusing" They all find her amusing and beautiful. But hey, it's seemed that Kat has embraced her ditzy persona. And as long as next season doesn't bring more rockstar rookie candidates like Armani, Clare W, and Marrisa...she will be safe...and suddenly won't be accused of not knowing how to do pom...or looking disinterested...or suddenly "Kat barely made the team last season" OR  I digress. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, cherryblossom said:

At least VK wasn’t shoved down our throats this episode.  In fact I don’t even remember seeing her.

One of the very few things I actually enjoyed about this season!!! I think they knew many of us thought she was better kept in the background than showcased at every turn like last season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, madmax84 said:

I for one appreciate the attitude the cut vets gave to Kelli and Judy. No one ever seems to stand up to them and they're bullies. This was a year you keep the vets that aren't performing up to snuff because they're not dancing on a giant field, they're dancing on decks that no one is actually paying attention to.

I agree completely.  I respected how all three, but especially Brennan and Hannah, didn’t make it easy on Kelli and Judy.  Not giving K&J any sympathy or understanding about how hard the cuts must be for them as the ones doing the cutting was great!  These women were being fired for what appeared to be trumped up reasons (my eyes rolled so hard when Kelli told Lily she’s had a excellent rookie season as she was cutting her).  Their reactions were completely appropriate and not unprofessional at all.  

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, Jazzhands said:

I felt so bad for Lily during that conversation.  Firing people is awful, and I hate doing it.  But you should never be so vague that the person isn’t sure whether you’re giving them performance counseling or firing them.  That’s not compassionate, it’s cruel.

Remember when Kelli was trying to tell the girls they made the squad in Season 6, and how well that went over:/

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I still can't believe they cut Hannah, Lily, and Brennan (particularly Hannah). Every time they showed Hannah "messing up" the choreography to justify her cut, it was the same footage over and over. You would think if it had been a constant theme throughout training camp that they'd have more footage to show.

Edited by pancakes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I understood why the vets were upset being cut by ZOOM at the end of the two week training camp for the pandemic- season when there won’t even be a lot of fans in the stands. It just seems extra cruel and gratuitous.  Like, these vets were SO terrible that they can’t dance in front of a 2/3 empty stadium for a year? Whatever! 

I’m not saying that they were entitled to their spots (as I said last week, I think Lily would’ve definitely been cut in a regular year), but I understand the frustration. 2020 was a terrible year for a lot of ppl with isolation and a loss of normal life, and then to have DCC ripped away too - it’s brutal.

I feel bad for the rookies too, and I think the main issue was bringing so many women into training camp in the first place. They should’ve never been in a position where they had to make a gazillion cuts during training camp. It was irresponsible and unnecessary. 

With that said, I really like the rookies who made it. It’s a strong group, IMO. Hopefully, next season, they will have a real season with fans and will be able to be on the field. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, JennyB said:

I agree! I thought all 3 handled it very unprofessionally. Especially the 3rd vet. I’m sure they were extremely disappointed but shouldn’t assume they own the spot just cuz they’re a vet. 

For the record, I am strongly opposed to cutting veterans or qualified legacies unless there is a MAJOR reason. Not just "You aren't Top 36 right now." If a vet or a legacy can learn and keep up with the choreography, isn't a huge ambassador risk, and doesn't stand out in a negative way, I believe they should receive a spot and should be given priority over newcomers or non-legacies. 

HOWEVER, Kelli and Judy clearly do not operate that way. They've made it clear in past episodes that they don't like it when people act entitled to a spot, and they don't tolerate the candidates disrespecting them. Hannah, in her cut, did both. I have to wonder if the attitude we saw come out on the Zoom call has been an ongoing issue with her and was the real reason behind her cut. To me, her tone and comments were very passive aggressive and disrespectful in a way that Brennan's and Lily's just weren't, and I was very taken aback by it. But I expressed this in the (now closed) training camp thread and almost no one agreed, so maybe I am just interpreting it differently! I thought Brennan and Lily still came across as professional while expressing their displeasure with the decision. I can't say the same for Hannah.

If it were up to me, Alora-Rose would not have made the team, and I'm sure I could have found two other rookies to cut, since all but one or two blended so much for me that I can't even remember their names. I wouldn't have cut three veterans on the last day.

Meredith was one veteran cut that, unfortunately, I did think was necessary. She is a beautiful girl who seems to be very talented in other areas of dance, but she can't do power pom and she can't learn choreography quickly enough to keep up with the DCC. She never should have made it in the first place. However, instead of the humiliation of being cut as a veteran in training camp, I feel that Kelli and Judy should have had a discussion with her in the spring and gently suggested that she not re-audition. But maybe they did and she chose to go for it anyway.

Edited by blairwaldorf
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

We've been told thru the years by insiders that Judy doesn't have much of a say and Kelli runs the team and the show.  They seem to have equal billing when it comes to being mean girls.

Charlotte has final approval over the final squad 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Did I hear Kelli correctly - was it Armani or Sydney that said : "They were given a choice of straight or curly hair ?"

Sydney said that. But then at the end of the show when they featured photos of the rookies cheering, Sydney’s hair was straight again. 🤷‍♀️

It's interesting that Hannah was 'out in the hall comforting her teammates' when in her public goodbye post she talks about safety was not a priority for production and how the group was put at risk. I understand wanting to comfort someone who is extremely upset but at this point they know the bubble has been broken and there is potential risk.

• Love 7

I think Hannah on Instagram is her right but I wouldn’t go that way.  I have no idea, maybe dance industry doesn’t care but in corporate if you bad mouth your former company even if justified HR, management, others will know it can happen to them in future and it is viewed as unprofessional and a concern of judgement.  In the end, It doesn’t reflect well on the complainant.  I’m sorry for her and that she was cut makes me so sad for her.  But she needs to close this chapter and move on to better.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

So, the numbers didn't add up. We paused the show when they were filming the team dance and we only counted 33 women. What gives?

Some girls werent there like Taylor because she had work, there was a couple others but i can't remember their reasons why.

1 hour ago, nomaam said:

It's interesting that Hannah was 'out in the hall comforting her teammates' when in her public goodbye post she talks about safety was not a priority for production and how the group was put at risk. I understand wanting to comfort someone who is extremely upset but at this point they know the bubble has been broken and there is potential risk.

Both Tori and Ashlinn left the hotel ushered by people helping them with bags. At the time of the zoom, this was not some strict quarantine. And we have no idea if Hannah was wearing a mask when she was out in the hall. And remember back in the summer, the protocols were confusing and quite different. The standard set was mask only if not six feet apart for more than 15 minutes. - that was the guiding principle back students were headed back to college. It changed right around the time of filming to be mask always.

1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I think Hannah on Instagram is her right but I wouldn’t go that way.  I have no idea, maybe dance industry doesn’t care but in corporate if you bad mouth your former company even if justified HR, management, others will know it can happen to them in future and it is viewed as unprofessional and a concern of judgement.  In the end, It doesn’t reflect well on the complainant.  I’m sorry for her and that she was cut makes me so sad for her.  But she needs to close this chapter and move on to better.

Pretty sure she has moved on. She started back at Northwestern and is pursuing her Masters in psychology and sociology. Likely she will work in advocacy. She'll be fine and has plenty of material for a thesis - or two!

And she never actually said she was cut for speaking out - she merely questions why the DCC-MTT prioritized ratings and profit over the mental and physical health of the girls - during this challenging time --- especially during the Texas surge. People have misconstrued and twisted her words quite often. And what situations are used for shock and awe to sell a tv show.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I agree with this to an extent. In the corporate world however, termination meetings, evaluations, and corrections are also not public and most employers don’t provide negative info about former employees to public. If it was standard procedure for corporations to air employee terminations in a one-sided manner, I think publicly badmouthing one’s ex-employer would also be quite common. As it is, it’s kind a “we don’t talk about you, and you don’t talk about us” sort of deal. For the DCCs, I get that they feel that their only outlet to defend themselves is social media. So, I do think Hannah and the other DCCs are in a different boat due to the reality tv aspect of it. Regardless though, I do agree that if she hasn’t yet, she needs to close this chapter. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I think they all handled it very professionally and took everything seriously.  In my opinion, Kelli was the one who handled things unprofessionally.

Well heck yes.  They've been dancing their butts off, being ambassadors and all that other DCC stuff for 1-3 years and get sacked after a 2 week training camp by girls who learned all the dances before they even got there.

Apparently learning the field entrance isn't nearly as difficult as they've implied in years past, nor is dancing in boots, or anything else for that matter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

More nonsensical COVID protocols - after Judy announced the first triangle formation and they ran through the roll off counts, Kelli was the ONLY person wearing a mask. WTF? Also ridiculous - Kelli was wearing a mask when Phil came on the field with a mask pulled under her chin. Her reaction to an unmasked person was TO REMOVE HER MASK. So she needed protection while she was talking to the team from a distance but she didn't need protection when Phil arrived? Okay then. And then they told all the girls to remove their masks so that Charlotte could hand out uniforms to the rookies from less than six feet away. You know that Phil and Charlotte didn't quarantine at the hotel with the girls so this just highlighted what absolute bullshit the mask theater of this training camp was.

Yep. "Tonight, on this week's episode of Maskerpiece Theatre..."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

So the entitled attitude of the tank top and tennis shoe wearing Brennan wasn’t a rumor after all. (Despite what the handful of peeps in this forum would say)  I’m glad she finally showed the world what others have been hearing.  SHE “embodies ALL of that”..!?  “Sad day for DCC” because the precious Brennan (and barely made it Lily) wasn’t going to be gracing the team with her “maturity”?!   I would’ve cut her too. I wasn’t shocked at Hannah’s bad attitude, although her reaction was creepy and cold...but Brennan’s words were self serving and demeaning to her teammates who love the team and the direction it’s going because it includes them and they worked hard to earn their spot.  If the dcc is so horrible, why were they even there?  Stay home and move on.  Too bad they didn’t take advantage of that vet one day audition or the pause button to come back with vet status the next year if they were really concerned or not feeling 100%.  Instead they came into training camp unprepared, warned and cut. It happens, it’s life. Not everyone gets a participation trophy for showing up.   Always suspect when the only time you complain is AFTER you’re cut.  SO if they HAD made it, then suddenly the DCC is a wonderful organization going in the right direction??  Um, Ok.  
Sadly they likely burned bridges to the alum sisterhood too.  #TrueColors

Lily’s cut was sad but agree with those who said she barely made it last year and it was time to go. 
This group of rookies came in hot and looking to take a spot...and they did.  I would’ve kept Tori over a couple  other vets too.  Hoping Tori Ashlinn and Cassie come back next year.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, bjo1969 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the attitude of the cut vets. By the time they got to Hannah, you could tell she was pissed and so over it. Good for Brennan telling them she didn't like the direction the DCC was going in ~ favorites blatantly ignoring the terms of the contract (cheerleaders sleeping with players and getting away with it, others ignoring social distancing and traveling during the pandemic). You couldn't pay me enough money to cheer on their squad. I'm pretty sure I'm done with this show. 

I had to laugh when Kelli and Judy looked at each other totally bewildered and said they didn't understand what she meant by the direction that the team was going. SURE, JAN.

10 hours ago, JapMo said:

Oh good lord.  For $299 you should at least get 5 minutes of direct one or one contact by phone or Zoom.

Zoom calls cost even more. Brett Favre charges $5000 for his Zoom chats on Cameo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, BossKeyBlessed said:

So the entitled attitude of the tank top and tennis shoe wearing Brennan wasn’t a rumor after all. (Despite what the handful of peeps in this forum would say)  I’m glad she finally showed the world what others have been hearing.  SHE “embodies ALL of that”..!?  “Sad day for DCC” because the precious Brennan (and barely made it Lily) wasn’t going to be gracing the team with her “maturity”?!   I would’ve cut her too

Though I don't agree -- If their attitudes were the issue then fine. Cut them. I'm all for it.  But don't spend all this time and money trying to sell us some BS narrative that it was "performance only." Don't capitalize on Hannah's platform and try to spin some story about how mentally unstable she was. Don't pretend that Brennan has no energy. Which is it?

The vets were cut literally zoomed in, on camera, for the gotcha moment - for shock and maximum dramatic effect. They had their support system ripped from them,  in the middle of a global pandemic no less. 

In my opinion, they voiced concern for the decisions made to hold the reality show. To me, it doesn't seem like the most responsible thing to do - so reason to question. Likely, this put an uncomfortable spotlight on them and the rest is history. But honestly we don't really know either way or either side --- because its all twisted.

In any other year, they'd likely would have been given the benefit of the doubt and a pass to another year, just ike we've seen year after year. Precedent usually favors the vets.  But this year it was perfect for ratings to cut 4 of them. Look how much buzz it generated.

• Love 21

Damn Brennan and those arrogant jeans! Lol wasn't there only one person that suggested she might be "entitled" because of that? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 😆

Although I can agree that maybe some girls would have still been all about how awesome DCC is if they had made the team. But maybe they saw things differently this year with how things were going down in "the bubble". And since they got cut now they can say what they really think. I'm all for it. Burn those bridges! F it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

How come the girls didn’t do the jump split during their entrance filming after the kick line? Did anyone notice when they did their intro dance in the big triangle that the diagonal on the right was anything but? CMT edited the film there but you can see for a split second that the girls aren’t near what I would call a diagonal. 

so back in august when Brennan got cut, there was talk in the training camp thread that she was really cut because she privately called out VK for her attitude problems and being rude to everyone. I was hoping CMT would show some of this but they didn’t. Does anyone know what exactly VK did and what was said to her while being called out? I remember reading Kelli also talked to VK about her attitude. 

I think overall watching this show this season was an epic waste of time

• Love 10