Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/16/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 16 – Ruby Bridges (Author, “This Is Your Time”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Nov. 17 – Michael J. Fox (Author, “No Time Like the Future”)

Wednesday, Nov. 18 – Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson & Nicholas Pinnock (ABC’s “For Life”)

Thursday, Nov. 19 – “Good Morning America” co-anchor Michael Strahan; Mario Lopez (“Saved by the Bell”)

Friday, Nov. 20 – Gloria Estefan

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

YAY!  Monday is a 'VYD' episode - can't wait !!!! We haven't had that since yesterday. How did we survive the weekend?

Ruby Bridges - I can't wait for Sunny to fawn all over her, and tell her what 'an amazing woman she is' and an inspiration to Sunny growing up, and now to her daughter Paloma, and probably to Kamala Harris, too.   Sarah won't know what the hell Sunny is talking about so she will mention 'Joe Biden voters' just to try and keep up. 

The rest of the week looks like one big yawn again, although Mario Lopez is always eye-candy on TV.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Axie said:

When Sunny kept saying she didn’t have time to respond, reminisce of Meghan, I thought she was referring to Joy’s frequent interruptions.  She seemed pretty irritated.

52 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

Sunny seems to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder. She seems bored, disconnected and unhappy. 

To me it felt like she saw Sara take a fair bit of time rambling on to make her point, which Sunny didn't agree with, and then Joy taking a lot of time as well. For Sunny to snark that she didn't have time to lay out her points does make me think that there are a few things in play. She is probably still smarting for the mocking from last week when Whoopi and Joy said: we got it! And I don't think she likes that Sara gets to make this longwinded statement that she disagrees with but cannot counter.

Having said that (and I actually really like Sunny) Sunny herself tends to repeat herself and take a pretty long time to make her point. I think the only one on the current panel who is concise is Ana. I wish she were on the show permanently. I also would like her to explain what she didn't like about the Obama administration. We know that MeAgain didn't like Obama because he beat her dad. And I know that Ana is a repub so therefore she would not agree with his policies. But it would be interesting to know which ones. Because now she seems to like him.

• Love 13

I appreciate that Sunny disagreed with Bill Maher, mainly because I disagreed with him too and thought his whole spiel was based on privilege and arrogance, but the format at the moment gives no one time to have a conversation or discussion. Each person is asked a question and they answer. The format hasn't worked for awhile, but they refuse to change it. Whoopi should bring up the topic and have everyone discuss it openly, but then again the View can't even do the remote thing properly with everyone having delays so maybe this is the only way to stop that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I think when Bill and Obama use "woke" like that, they are not talking about the activists and others who have lived with racism & discrimination, but the youngsters & Hollywood types who haven't lived it, yet blather and dominate the narrative on SM and retweet, but never actually DO any of the hard work toward solutions.  Whereas Sunny felt Bill was attacking the victims of racism & discrimination, though she didn't object to Obama telling "woke" people to just give it up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I appreciate that Sunny disagreed with Bill Maher, mainly because I disagreed with him too and thought his whole spiel was based on privilege and arrogance, but the format at the moment gives no one time to have a conversation or discussion. Each person is asked a question and they answer. The format hasn't worked for awhile, but they refuse to change it. Whoopi should bring up the topic and have everyone discuss it openly, but then again the View can't even do the remote thing properly with everyone having delays so maybe this is the only way to stop that.

I don't care for Bill Maher for many reasons. He is a smug condescending ass..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

I think when Bill and Obama use "woke" like that, they are not talking about the activists and others who have lived with racism & discrimination, but the youngsters & Hollywood types who haven't lived it, yet blather and dominate the narrative on SM and retweet, but never actually DO any of the hard work toward solutions.  Whereas Sunny felt Bill was attacking the victims of racism & discrimination, though she didn't object to Obama telling "woke" people to just give it up.

I might agree with that assertion, but in the clip they played and in the full clip above, he had pictures of people who were called out and some of them had every right to be called out. He had a picture of Louis C.K. who was masturbating in front of women. Ellen who was horrible to her staff. Chris Matthews equated Bernie to the Nazis which was deplorable and apparently apologizing for that is ridiculous to Bill Maher. Woody Allen is accused of sexually abusing his step child and groomed his other child into being his wife. Meghan Kelly said some racist stuff too. All of these people were held accountable to their own bad actions, but this is apparently a bad thing to Bill.

Ana's point that this messaging hurt Democrats is something Sunny tried to counter, because everyone who stood for Defund the Police won their seats. Unfortunately, due to the time constraints, she wasn't able to push back on that narrative.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

As mentioned above Bill’s examples are questionable, but I agree I don’t think they are talking about serious issues and the people who sincerely suffer from and care about making change. Just folks who are looking for stuff to get upset over and can’t wait to cancel people. There’s a big difference between the dismissive “shut up and dribble,” attitude and saying you know let’s not get so caught up in being woke we’re constantly angry and think the worst of everyone. If you want to have a good impact, be kind, volunteer, donate money to causes you believe in, sign petitions you think are fair,  etc. There are too many fighting and losing relationships with their own friends and family over different views right now, and it’s really sad.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

Sunny seems to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder. She seems bored, disconnected and unhappy. 

I read Sunny's book over the weekend.  All I can say is with how ABC has treated her over the years I think she has reason to have a chip on her shoulder.

10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't care for Bill Maher for many reasons. He is a smug condescending ass..

I used to like him but he has indeed become a smug condescending ass.

10 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I might agree with that assertion, but in the clip they played and in the full clip above, he had pictures of people who were called out and some of them had every right to be called out

Bill was making it sound like the Democratic party and not just people who happen to be Democrats cancel people for no reason.  I can only speak for myself but I think people who do offensive things should be called out not so they can be cancelled but so they can learn from their mistakes and do better.  And what some people call cancel culture I call choosing to not support someone who has done wrong.

10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

There’s a big difference between the dismissive “shut up and dribble,” attitude

Bill Maher has developed the shut up and dribble attitude. Except for himself of course.

10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

If you want to have a good impact, be kind, volunteer, donate money to causes you believe in, sign petitions you think are fair,  etc

Exactly. Being woke is more than simply announcing you are woke.

• Love 15

Monday's show was all over the place, but I'm glad they gave us a second chance within a matter of weeks to buy Oprah's favorite paint-by-numbers paint set for just $21!! I guess they didn't sell enough first time around in October, and they need to empty the warehouse - so they're pushing this again. Lucky us !

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Can’t blame her.

I love Michael J Fox. Had no idea he went to the Oscars with Whoopi all those years ago.

In addition to Kevin Bacon, there should be a 6 degrees of Whoopie Goldberg game.  Almost everyone seems to have some connection to her.

• Love 12

I believe that we will be under the yoke of Covid19 for a long time because we the American people do not have a common narrative based on facts and science.  Half of the country believes that Covid19 is a hoax and the other half believes it does exist.  How do we overcome this deficit?

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Axie said:

Sunny does seem to be tired of everything.

I think she's depressed.  I'm glad her Mom is live in, that is a blessing so many of us don't have.  Easy for me to say.  Maybe she should talk to a professional.  The Holidays bring spikes of depression for so many people.  Its not uncommon.  Me included.  Take care of yourself S.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

That’s interesting that Sara had her eyes opened to the fact that many people in this country are still pushing back about masks.  

Yes, people who live in a part of the country where mask wearing is just expected and lawful behavior, don't realize that there are many places where wearing a mask is considered a political statement.  I am in Illinios, I see very few people without masks .  then again, I don't go many places.  My son is n Arizona, where people are lining up outside bars and restaurants, without masks. He said at grocery stores, there's a sign that masks are required, but less than half the people are wearing them. 

When laws vary by county or state, people just travel a bit to where they don't have to wear masks.  It is crazy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yes, that picture of Kamala and Ruby Bridges is really beautiful. The View was the first time I'd seen it.

I wish Sunny had got more time to speak on the Bill Maher topic. Yes, there's wrong in "canceling" people over things that are minor in the scheme of things, acting as if they're unforgivable, but I didn't think all the pictures he used were appropriate for the point he was trying to make. Moreover, there are cases when people deserve to face serious consequences for their actions, which is something Sunny has said in the past. And then there's the fact that he acted as if "canceling" people is merely a Left phenomenon. The Right has cancelled many people and tried to cancel many others. Al Franken, Kathy Griffin, etc. Just among View hosts, they've tried to do in Joy Behar and Whoopi (and Rosie O'Donnell) many times, for example, it just didn't take.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

That’s interesting that Sara had her eyes opened to the fact that many people in this country are still pushing back about masks.  

I was only half listening and she always seems to be reading her answers.

Did she really say that she just realized people still don't want to wear masks??

I'm too lazy to watch it again.

53 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yes, that picture of Kamala and Ruby Bridges is really beautiful. The View was the first time I'd seen it.

I wish Sunny had got more time to speak on the Bill Maher topic. Yes, there's wrong in "canceling" people over things that are minor in the scheme of things, acting as if they're unforgivable, but I didn't think all the pictures he used were appropriate for the point he was trying to make. Moreover, there are cases when people deserve to face serious consequences for their actions, which is something Sunny has said in the past. And then there's the fact that he acted as if "canceling" people is merely a Left phenomenon. The Right has cancelled many people and tried to cancel many others. Al Franken, Kathy Griffin, etc. Just among View hosts, they've tried to do in Joy Behar and Whoopi (and Rosie O'Donnell) many times, for example, it just didn't take.

It's indeed a very beautiful picture, and I 100% agree with your post. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The right has cancelled rappers for their rhetoric in their rap songs against the police in the past costing them lucrative deals with companies.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

We saw pics of Ruby Bridges and her teacher alone in a classroom and Ruby outside with three white girls, then she mentioned parents opposed to them mixing.  It made me wonder if the teacher was brought in from Boston to teach Ruby alone when she first arrived while other teachers taught the white kids.  If so, I never knew that. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

The right has cancelled rappers for their rhetoric in their rap songs against the police in the past costing them lucrative deals with companies.  

Colin Kaepernick is another example of someone the right canceled and who lost his job in the process.

• Love 21
57 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I was only half listening and she always seems to be reading her answers.

Did she really say that she just realized people still don't want to wear masks??

I'm too lazy to watch it again.

She said something last week about how people are doing the right thing by wearing masks and after that she heard from viewers that that isn’t the case in many places. It surprised her that people are still refusing. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Whoopi ended up on the View because she was cancelled.

I remember Elizabeth Hasselback was cheering the backlash against Whoopie long before she got on the show.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

She said something last week about how people are doing the right thing by wearing masks and after that she heard from viewers that that isn’t the case in many places. It surprised her that people are still refusing. 

Oh, Sara! 

Why is she surprised that people are still refusing to wear masks? Has she seen coverage of a Trump rally?

I  really wonder about her.

• Love 8

Mask wearing is mandated in my City, but we can drive just 30 minutes and it is not required. Still the majority of the population here support wearing masks. That is because it was never a political issue. There are some people on the fringe who protest it, but the support is significant. Whereas where my niece lives in the US most everyone is opposed.

A city survey of 500 Calgarians conducted between Aug. 25 and 28 found that 88 per cent support the bylaw, 89 per cent wear a mask inside spaces like grocery stores or malls, and 95 per cent wear a mask on public transit.

That percentage of indoor mask use was up 34 per cent since the bylaw was implemented. 

4 hours ago, Axie said:

there should be a 6 degrees of Whoopie Goldberg game.  Almost everyone seems to have some connection to her.

And a lot of them have been her lovers! It was quite obvious when a guest came on the show whether she had slept with him. She kind implied plus got that sly look on her face. And one time she actually admitted it as a general statement.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, OnTime said:

Oh, Sara! 

Why is she surprised that people are still refusing to wear masks? Has she seen coverage of a Trump rally?

I  really wonder about her.

I've been noticing lately that she always has a big smile on her face, no matter what serious topic they are discussing.  Whoopi, Joy and Sunny look subdued if not sad, and there is Sara with a big grin. She seems kind of hopelessly naive.

• Love 4